Crouch???- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crouch???

Don't worry, be happy!

Crouch???

Hi Gang, I draw on your collective wisdom for some trail suggestions in the Crouch area, Payette River drainage.

Long version, big whitewater get together over labor day, group campout in Crouch. My usual MO is drive shuttle while the guys run the class 5 on the North Fork or something like that. If I do bring my bike, anything worth checking out? Stuebner's book shows a big blank between Cascade and Stanley. I'd be up for a tour guide

formica

mtbr member
    good question.... I've been wondering if there is good riding. Probably worth looking at hiking books. That area shouldn't have restrictions. Make sure you aren't in the Warm Lake fire area. Seems like they evacuated Dead Wood reservoir recently.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Don't worry, be happy!
    yeah, we saw the smoke plumes a few weeks ago when we were rafting the canyon section

Jun 2007
    If you want to travel up the highway to the east there is some riding, A few years ago I rode part way up the Kirkham Ridge Trail which is off to the north of the highway just east of Lowman.

Forest service page link for more info

It is a mixed use trail, and as most trails in the area, is a grind out of the South Fork Canyon. It is not overly technical but has nice views once you get up on the ridge. I have also attempted Sunset Peak and Blue Jay, but those are closed due to the Trapper Ridge fire.

mtbr member
    I have not ridden either of the two trails that I know of up there, So I can not offer much more than names. The two I know of are Peace creek and Julie creek. I hope to ride them sometime soon. On a side note we have a cabin up in crouch on scriver creek and spent last weekend there. In the a.m. it was so smokey I couldn't bring myself to ride. By mid afternnon the smoke had cleared out but it was hot hot hot, so we just tooled around on the little stunt/skills trail we are building on our property. We only started working on it last weekend. We have several acres to work with(that have a nice slope)so the possibilities are endless. Its pretty nice after a couple hours of working in the heat we can ride the whopping 100 feet down to the creek and have a dip. Anyway back to the trails, maybe this fall when the air is better and the afternoons are cooler we will get out and ride the above mentioned trails. I have heard they are very fun. I think Brad at one point had a write up of them on the spudhucksters website(not sure if they are still on it or not)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Some moto trails by silver creek plunge. Never checked them out, but there are a lot of 'em
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

... and if we just ... our mountain home

formica, you will love crouch if you haven't been there already!

by any chance are y'all staying at boiling springs or silver creek plunge? there are definitely a lot of options including spots along the river as well as a very cool b&b called 'walk on the wild side' in the meadow on middle fork road. the woman who owns it is really great.

i assume you're running the payette... there are some great geothermal sources up there that make for happy soaking, some are well known and some aren't...but the folks in crouch are incredibly friendly. ask just about anybody at the merc and they will give you the lowdown.

don't forget to stop in 'the joint' in town (the longhorn restaurant) and belly through the saloon doors to get yerself a refreshing beverage. you will undoubtedly make some friends! haven't been huckle picking this year but there might still be some to be found. swimming holes galore, and hopefully it won't be too smokey.

have fun! i would be going there if i wasn't going to SV that weekend...the dogs will be so sad BTW that's a pretty funny picture of me riding Eli's bike..niiiiiice outfit. gotta love country livin'
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Don't worry, be happy!
    all I know is, "group camp" in crouch. A bunch of the Boise WW crew are throwing this thing together. My hubby is deteremined to make the whole NF payette run this year; he did everything but Jacob's ladder last year. Yes, he's crazy. Hot springs are always wonderful but I have a hard time getting enthused in August.

Thanks for the info, keep it coming. Smoke is still an issue then eh? pooh. This should be fun. My normal MO is to hang out in McCall when he's gallivanting on the rivers but this does sound like fun. The only part that would not be fun is trying to follow along on the road with the camera while the guys run the class v.

mtbr member
    http://www.ktvb.com/weather/airquality/

FYI daily updated info on burn ban situation and air quality
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

King of the Barneys
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

think pink
    I've ridden the Julie creek trail before and it was a pretty good time. This time of year and with the little amount of rain we've had, it might be pretty chewed up. I tried riding a few trails directly north of crouch, off whatever road it is that runs through the center of town, and it wasn't that amazing. Lots of mosquitoes too.

May 2007

Peace Creek & Bitter Creek trails

Botth of these are great trails. Peace Creek is just past Silver Creek Plunge and Bitter Creek is a little farther up the road. I rode them a couple of years ago before the fire? There is also a 4 wealer trail that starts at the same place as Bitter Creek. It was a lot of fun to ride down. Peace Creek goes over into Deadwood and Bitter Creek comes out about 2 to 3 miles above Deadwood.

mtbr member
    how was the weekend? Did you find good riding?

Don't worry, be happy!
    who me? not until Labor day.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I will be at the Hot Springs group camp ( wherever that is) Look for a bunch of boaters, or if anyone is up for a ride LMK. I am all up for some sort of explore. The guys will be running the N FK. I may hook up with a paddle trip for one day on some of the other runs, but I would like to check out some of the above trails.

anyone up for a ride?

The FS links to Kirkham trail were great, any such thing for Julie Creek?

NM - http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/boise/recrea...julie_ck.shtml

formica aka Penny S
    Last edited by formica; 08-25-2007 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    Hi Gang, I draw on your collective wisdom for some trail suggestions in the Crouch area, Payette River drainage.

Long version, big whitewater get together over labor day, group campout in Crouch. My usual MO is drive shuttle while the guys run the class 5 on the North Fork or something like that. If I do bring my bike, anything worth checking out? Stuebner's book shows a big blank between Cascade and Stanley. I'd be up for a tour guide

formica
    I haven't back been in Idaho for a couple of years, but here's my old web page on the area.

If Zimmer Creek is still open, I'd recommend that if you're running a whitewater shuttle. The trail is really spectacular as it contours up above the valley. But ask a local first.

You'll also find good riding on a network of old logging roads out of the Wash Creek drainage, just east of the Alder Creek bridge on the South Side of the river.

http://www.gpstrailmaps.com/idaho/GardenValleyArea.html

Hope this helps.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about exploring the trails around Lowman this summer. I've found some posts and Trail reviews for some trails in the area (Bonneville, Julie Cr, Bitter Cr., Deadwood, etc). However, none seem to be informative enough to flush out which are the best rides in the area, And, the FS website lists all of these trails. Does anyone have an idea for how these rank out destination-wise? Anyone have a top 3 for a long weekend of riding?

(FS Website) Areas for Mountain Biking at Lowman Ranger District

Bonneville Campground
    Bull Trout Lake Campground
    Deadwood Campground
    Riverside Campground (Lowman)
    Bitter Creek Trail (Lowman)
    Blue Jay Trail
    Catpaw Lake Trail
    Clear Creek Summit Trail
    Deadwood Ridge Trail
    Gates Creek Trail
    Habit Creek Trail
    Jackson Peak Trail
    Julie Creek Trail
    Kirkham Ridge Trail
    Link Trail
    Lost Lake Trail
    Nellie's Basin Trail
    Porter Creek Trail
    Red Mountain Trail
    Stratton Trail
    Switchback Trail
    Tranquil Basin Trail
    Wapiti Creek Trail
    Warm Springs Trail
    Westside Trail
    Wyoming-Fir Creek Trail

mtbr member
    I've biked most of the way up to red mountain. there was some cool stuff mixed in with a lot of doubletrack. Not sure if there is a specific red mountain trail that is different than what I rode.

Members who have read this thread: 0