created a monster! celebration park info?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

created a monster! celebration park info?

so, my gf the aggro dirtbiker finally got herself a mtn bike, since running has been giving her problems this year. she absolutely loves riding. so far we've only puttered around the pavement and dirt roads near kuna (i still can't walk on my healing compound fracture, but i'm allowed to pedal now). as she's getting used to the bike and the time pedals, i'd like to start venturing into some easy off-road stuff, easy for her sake as a sorta newbie, and also for my sake since i can't really take a chance on having to put a foot down.

is there any riding out by celebration park (south of melba on the river)? the map shows there's a bridge there open to non-motorized users, and 'primitive trails' on the other side of the river, but sez nothing about whether they are open to pedal bikes, or reasonable for pedal bikes, or reasonable for crips and newbies on pedal bikes. it's close enough to kuna to be an after work excursion, but i'd love to get some info before heading down there, since it's kind of a pain in my condition to load up the bike and drive over there.

also interested in easy trails (not too steep, since i'm limited on pedal pressure with the broken leg) near boise for a weekend ride. we might consider driving up towards bogus and just exploring some of the fire roads for a weekend or two before getting into funner stuff as my leg heals and her skill and comfort level improves.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Try the ride from Swan Falls dam to Celebration Park.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

sharing the love
    On a trials bike you can ride for days out there without riding the same line twice...
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    There is a lot of sand out there. There are probably good routes but I didn't find them.

the standards in the foothills seem to be most reliable. Kestrel, freeway (crestline) bucktail etc are easier. Easy climbing is hard to come by.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mortman
    Aug 2006

Celebration Trails

When you first get down the dirt road leading to Celebration Park (CP) you can turn right and head into CP or you can turn left and take a dirt road to some day camping picnic sites. Take this road and you will hit a cow gate that you can open and drive through, or park and ride from there if you have a sedan.

Once through the gate the road follows the river about 300 - 400 yards and hits a parking area with a trail head. From there you can ride out and back to Halverson Lake. The trail to the first lake is usually good, but can get soupy with dust\sand when it has been hit hard by horses and no rain. Beyond the first lake is the Little Halverson overflow lake. Trails out there are likely to be very sandy.

Also, from the trailhead there is a trail that heads along the river and goes a long way (it may go all the way to swan falls, but I do not know). It can have very sandy sections depending on lack of rain (this trail can take you to the rock plateau things). Past both lakes about two miles, on the CP side of the river there are two rock plateau things in the middle of the river valley. There is a very large area around these plateaus where the ground is covered by cow trails and lots of round-ish ridable rocks. This is a great section to test balance and skills. It is also a great section for the occasional ENDO.

There is a map at the trail head that displays the trails and the lakes. I do not think it shows the rock plateau things, but you can see them from the small Halverson overflow lake.

I have had the best luck on these trails in the early spring and in the fall when the Boise foothills get too muddy. Take lots of water as there is not any shade and the river valley gets scorched by the sun.

As for the trails on the other side of the bridge, I have hiked them to the top of the canyon. I did not think the trail I took to the top would be fun to bike, it was hard enough to hike.

Hope this helps in your exploration.
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0