Craig, Tamarack Riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Craig, Tamarack Riding

CP,

how was Tam today - did you have a good time?

just a man

Fun

DK - It was great. Ran into Swede and pals, met jimi1114 (turns out we're from the same area before coming to Boise), and had a great time hosting my bud Hack/Gregger from Portland who had his Transition Gran Mal out for the 2nd time. Hack and I blasted 10 runs out of the mountain and we were absolutely whooped by the end. Super G, Roxtar, ESR and Show-Low were the frequented runs, all very fun. Didn't quite take on Stage Fright, I guess it still owns me. Hoping we can head up once more with your Dirtbag in tote.

EDIT: Maybe it's just me, but those wall rides on Super G were really tough - tight, fast transition with virtually no run out into the next berm. I watched from the chairlift and I didn't see one other person attempting to ride them either though... PICS

Last edited by Bombin4X; 08-21-2006 at 06:28 AM.

Aug 2004
    How were the turns? When I was last up there last month, they were very rutty and really caked with soft dust.

mtbr member

more ruts more dust

I had a good time up at Tam on Saturday. Craig, glad you shouted at me I would not have recognized you with the helmet.

To answer your question they are getting more rutted and more dusty. By the end of the day my wrists and hands hand nearly no strength.
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

just a man
    Most were rutted and really washed out, some sections would just swallow that front tire up, and I am running a 2.7 Minion. Made you really focus on making it through the turns without laying it down! Towards the bottom the wide sweeping berms were in great shape, no-toucha-tha-brakes.

Did you ride Roxstar, Nick? That was nice stuff.
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 08-21-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Aug 2004
    Which one is Roxtar?

I *might* try to head up there one more time in a couple of weekends...probably on the 9th if anyone is interested. Kinda like one last summer fling before fall begins. And then after that I think Tam stops running their lifts in October?

mtbr member

roxstar

as you are coming down super G One of the first road crossings. If you stay to the right you continue on G after a quick jump. Crossing the raod you go down apollo. Roxstar is about 30 feet to the right of Apollo. It has an intimidating drop in (at least for us ols scardey cat guys)
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

just a man
    It's a nice rocky little run, very fun. Can't find any pics on the internet unfortunately...if anyone has some please post them.

As Swede mentioned, it starts right about where the Black Trianlge with the #3 is on this portion of the trailmap. It connects with Super G below it if I remember correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice meeting you at Tam Craig. I did a ton of runs as well and was beat that night. To add insult to injury I got sick Saturday night (wasn't even drinking) and was wiped out on Sunday. Decided it was probably better to call it a day, then take another few practice runs and race Sunday.

As for Roxstar, I believe that was built in the last couple of weeks specifically for the race. It was not there the last time I was up there about three weeks ago. I know they filled in Stage fright quit a bit as it was real sketchy before, not that it isn't now but at least it does not have the slick sand covered rock faces as before. Not that it makes me want to run it but maybe next time I am up there. Roxstar is fun for sure.

Hope to see you on the trails

just a man
    Oh man! That's a bummer, sorry to hear that Jim. Let's definitely ride, I would like to see how your Dirtbag handles the local trails.

let freedom ring!

Rock Island

Sounds like you had a great time at Tamarack. Thanks for the PM. I am going to Rock Island Tomorrow around 6 let me know if you want to meet up. Or give me a call you should have my number if not PM me and I will give it to you again.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

just a man

i liked this shot

the views were beautiful up there

Hoops - Big and Small
    That bike looks like it needs a Boxxer, You miss it?

just a man
    Not really, the new fork is doing really well actually. Sure the 3" of travel can come in handy, but I really liked the feel of the Pike on the drops and berms and bumps. My current bike setup feels a lot faster than the Iron Horse ever did.

Hoops - Big and Small
    Maybe its the wide angle shot but you looked like an armored up geeked out XC dude lookin to drop in on the mountain.

Was the IH a 64 degree HT bike?

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Maybe its the wide angle shot but you looked like an armored up geeked out XC dude lookin to drop in on the mountain.

Was the IH a 64 degree HT bike?
    That's me, geeked out. I wore the XC helmet with glasses for the morning since a lot of Super G was closed until 2 PM due to the XC KTS Geek Race. Plus I am not hitting anything Collectively and Disorderly Roamed so the Giro Xen was probably adequate.

After 2PM the FF helmet with goggles (much better) were applied. That shot of me was in slow-mo too, I must confess it was only for effect with the scenery for the photo. Plus I am only wearing knee/shin pads - no torso armor or even elbow/arm pads for the day.

I can't remember what the HA was actually.....64 might be right. I am too unsophisticated bike-wise, which you already know!

NIGHT RIDE?
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 08-21-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Hoops - Big and Small

What a poser!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    NIGHT RIDE?
    Man your such a ham! nite soon.

just a man
    No one is safe on the internet when Bret is at the keyboard.....!!!

You see the name my buddy Hack gave me??

Hoops - Big and Small
    Clue me in - Brotha

just a man

UnaBOMBer

As in "singular." Kinda like CBro and I doing BOMBWAR runs...

Hoops - Big and Small

Ted Kaczynski rides a single speed.

As in "singular." ...
    Supposedly this is a pic of his bike - funny

King of the Barneys
    As in "singular." Kinda like CBro and I doing BOMBWAR runs...
    that reminds me, when you've worked that spud hucksting out of your system, we're due for some speed dorking intervals...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Man your such a ham! nite soon.
    dude... it looks like you can put some luggage in those overhead compartments...

just a man

Amber Alert Van

Yeah, the Family Truckster is all about road trips. The funny thing is there's nothing up in those compartments except maybe some tissue.

Members who have read this thread: 0