connecting ants basin to Trail 671 (warm springs creek)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

connecting ants basin to Trail 671 (warm springs creek)

hoping for a little trail 411. we're on vacation from ca and lined up a shuttle tomorrow am to ride ants basin to robinson bar.
    i read the sticky that say the trail running north from ant's to 671 doesn't exist and you have to go around to born lake (sounds like a long deviation i'd rather not do). is that still the case or how do i go about finding the trail that is supposed to go north and intersect 671.

can you guys help me by posting a response today?

thanks...you will save my husband and me a lot of hearache!

mtbr member
    I have ridden from 4th of july to williams creek and from williams creek to robinson bar. I'm not sure about 671. That is a long ride from 4th to robinson bar but one I would like to do.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Caveat Emptor

First, it's been 5 years since I've ridden this trail and it's my recollection that the connection from the Ant's Basin Ridge trail to the Born Lakes is not too far and is well defined. Follow the directions given by Howley in the sticky (unless someone can give real-time info).

Second, please post pictures and an update, I plan to ride a similar route in early-Sept.

jalepenio jimenez
    the trail heading north out of Ant's Basin that bypasses Born lakes doesn't exist anymore. it once did exist, however, 'cause I rode it a few years back, but it now resides in singletrack heaven: not to be found by even the wiliest of coyotes. you now have to go to the lakes to get to #671.

check out the sticky: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=540685
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i just did the ride a couple of weeks ago. getting from ants to born lakes is not that tough if you know how to follow mtn trails. i ran into a couple of snow patches that buried the trail and had to find the trail coming out of the snow. it ads adventure. once at born lakes i had to walk around looking for the trail going down stream. it is not marked but follow the horse ****. it is not that tough to follow also. when up on the pass look at your map and look for where the trail would be in the basin based on the map. it will help you visualize it. there where a lot of blowdowns onthe trail and it is a lightly used mtn trails. not a well used mtn bike trail. technical in places. once down to the big meadow you go diagonaly to the left thru the field to the creek. look for the fence if the grass is to hight to see the trail. cross the creek and the trail will get much better after that. great ride. good adventure. next time i would just go cross country where the old trail is thru ants. but you would have to have lots of confidence in your mountain ablilty to do this.
    the pic i took are on this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=632782

the ride did take me 6 hours from 4th of july trail head to the high way where the 4 th road starts. i shuttled the road with a 4 wheeler.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Trail 671 - does exist

I've done this ride twice this summer and 671 does exist, but is extremely difficult to find. You basically have to head left as soon as you come down into Ants Basin. And then you need to keep your eye out for rock cairns to help you find the trail. Good map skills and a good eye are a must to find it though!

Quote Originally Posted by suzwilson
    hoping for a little trail 411. we're on vacation from ca and lined up a shuttle tomorrow am to ride ants basin to robinson bar.
    i read the sticky that say the trail running north from ant's to 671 doesn't exist and you have to go around to born lake (sounds like a long deviation i'd rather not do). is that still the case or how do i go about finding the trail that is supposed to go north and intersect 671.

can you guys help me by posting a response today?

thanks...you will save my husband and me a lot of hearache!

mtbr member
    The trail from Ant's Basin to Borne Lakes is one of my favorite sections of the entire ride. If you like technical rocky riding, don't skip that section. Although it's a less direct route, and it's a tough section of trail to ride, there's not that much elevation gain to get to the lakes.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just want people to know that the other trail is there, but hard to find. I haven't ridden the trail to Born Lakes, but I can tell you the trail 671 is a bit more technical than the lower section of trail. And I don't think it saves much on time using 671 because you have to bush whack so much to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    The trail from Ant's Basin to Borne Lakes is one of my favorite sections of the entire ride. If you like technical rocky riding, don't skip that section. Although it's a less direct route, and it's a tough section of trail to ride, there's not that much elevation gain to get to the lakes.

Members who have read this thread: 0