Confused on Foothills- Mtbr.com
    Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

Confused on Foothills

Today is February 28th, it is still winter, and yet I am confused with all the posts of people trying to ride on the Boise Foothills trails. Most of the posts I am reading are reports of puddles here or there, muddy in spots here or there, but somewhat rideable, etc.

Come on - stay of the trails! (this includes runners too) Ride on the road, ride the greenbelt, ride up 8th street, ride up rocky canyon road, go to the owyhees (if not too wet), go skiing/snowboarding, rollerblading, jogging. The trails are going to be wet this time of year it's called winter, even though it has been a mild February the ground is still wet.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but I want the trails to remain. This isn't New England or Washington, our soils are very different here. Please help keep the trails great.

sharing the love

We're antsy...

I don't disagree with you that riders shouldn't be on the muddy trails, but the time of year doesn't totally correlate with when it is acceptable to ride. It has been far muddier in the summer months after a good rain than it is now. As for doing other things, I'm sure we all do. I've considered my Bogus Basin pass to be a waste of $200 this year. I only enjoy riding if the powder is at least 4" deep. That's a bare minimum. Yah, I'm a powder snob. I do plenty of trials riding all winter but a change in pace is nice. I won't even address the rollerblade issue... I rode in the foothills twice this weekend and it wasn't bad. The worst trail damage I saw was from people walking or riding around muddy spots. Come on people, the trails are wide enough. If the trail is wet, so is the ground next to it. Some trails shouldn't be ridden right now, but some are fine. I don't think all of Boise is going to wait until May to ride. It will probably be too wet then. What we really need is for people to have some common sense about riding when it's wet. I got so much crap for stating that I got some dirt on my bike on a ride in the fall, yet all I here on this discussion board is people talking about how soupy the trail was when they rode and how much mud was being picked up by their tires. Recently some photos of the incriminating events were posted. It seems that riding the trails in the winter is ok for a few members of the MTBR forum (who have a lot to say), but everyone else should stay home.

aaarrrggghh!

Blah, Blah, Blah

I think your statement is a little over generalized. And don't tell me how to recreate Mr. Man! I personally don't ride muddy trails if I can avoid it. Meaning, sometimes we go with the best intentions, the trail is good to start with and then voila, you end up in a desperately muddy situation. I think we try to avoid the mud as best a possible. I'm afraid your audience isn't really this forum. Perhaps you should stand up on a soap box in Camelsback park and point your finger and yell at all the naughty trail users. That way you can feel righteous and just. I ride the trails that I know are dry. Lately I've had some pretty good success with that, I haven't had any mud stick to my tires and I'm enjoying the warm sun and good times with riding buddies. So Ha, take that YOU!

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

Huh?

Wow - wasn't trying to preach or claim that I am perfect, but I have noticed a few posts/pictures on here that suggest people are not being responsible. Walkers and joggers are just as guilty, the point I am making is all users need to take responsibility. I too am eager to use the trails, but there will be plenty of time soon.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuna
    Today is February 28th, it is still winter...
    Winter was officially over for me yesterday morning when the ski rack came off my rig and it along with my snowshoe/XC ski gear went back into my storage unit. I *think* I recovered the cost of my Park & Ski pass, but not my Bogus Nordic pass.

...and yet I am confused with all the posts of people trying to ride on the Boise Foothills trails.

Most of the posts I am reading are reports of puddles here or there, muddy in spots here or there, but somewhat rideable, etc.

Come on - stay of the trails! (this includes runners too) Ride on the road, ride the greenbelt, ride up 8th street, ride up rocky canyon road, go to the owyhees (if not too wet), go skiing/snowboarding, rollerblading, jogging. The trails are going to be wet this time of year it's called winter, even though it has been a mild February the ground is still wet.
    Some pics from last Friday evening's ride:

https://www.fototime.com/A11C34C521F5C52/standard.jpg
    https://www.fototime.com/22570E5B1339FDD/standard.jpg
    https://www.fototime.com/6AFB18BF1786D62/standard.jpg

I didn't ride on Kestrel, but the Military Reserve Connector and Crestline were in really good shape save for some spots here and there. Crestline got worse right before and after Sidewinder as you are heading towards the bottom of #4 and Hulls. I turned around shortly after passing the bottom of #4 cuz Crestline was getting muddy. Also, at the start of Crestline right after the parking lot, there was a big muddy mess on the right hand side of the trail, but you could easily bypass it on the left without going off-trail. The bottom of Sidewinder looked like crap and unfortunately people were going off trail to avoid the mud. The bottom of #4 looked horrible.

So was the Connector and Crestline 100% bone dry? Heck no. More in the neighborhood of 90+%. So now the question is...do you let that 10% of unrideable conditions stop you from riding on those two trails?

I guess for me it would all depend on the situation. If it was a 5 foot long not extremely bad mud puddle...more than likely I'd ride through it. If it was a 100 foot long stretch of slop...more than likely I'm turning around.

I always try to keep up with current trail conditions in this subforum and will only ride those trails that are deemed rideable.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zebdi
    It seems that riding the trails in the winter is ok for a few members of the MTBR forum (who have a lot to say), but everyone else should stay home.
    No, just you. Just you should stay home. (Jesus, man - hold a grudge for long? Get over it already.)

Hoops - Big and Small

Trail Love

I rode up Corrals on Sunday. The ruts are needing some trail users to pack down the soil while it's still moist.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I rode Corralls Sunday too...maybe I shouldn't have. That last quarter mile to the top of the hill needs lots of love.

Hoops - Big and Small

Walk Strategically

Quote Originally Posted by mallard
    I rode Corralls Sunday too...maybe I shouldn't have. That last quarter mile to the top of the hill needs lots of love.
    As I was walking up to the big climb I tried to pat down some of the ruts with my shoes. It was crazy, the sun shiny on the trail - it looked like a ribbon of fudge -

There is some rain run off damage on the mid/upper portion of the trail that could use some mechanized repair

Hi!!!
    With yesterday's rain showers, today's sunny and warm weather, tomorrow's forecast for rain showers, and awesome forecasts for Thursday and Friday...do you guys think Military Reserve Connector and Crestline and Kestrel should be fine by early Friday evening (say 545 or 6pm)?

Thanks

Nick

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    As I was walking up to the big climb I tried to pat down some of the ruts with my shoes. It was crazy, the sun shiny on the trail - it looked like a ribbon of fudge -

There is some rain run off damage on the mid/upper portion of the trail that could use some mechanized repair
    I was there on Saturday. I noted that the front side (south slope) was much drier. I think I'll stick to trails with southern exposure for a while.

You're right about the washout on the mid/upper portion, it's pretty nasty.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    I rode up Corrals on Sunday. The ruts are needing some trail users to pack down the soil while it's still moist.
    Corrals is usually one of the last to dry out, so even with the miniscule amount of moisture this winter, I'm not surprised it's still muddy when the temps are over freezing.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

just a guess

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    With yesterday's rain showers, today's sunny and warm weather, tomorrow's forecast for rain showers, and awesome forecasts for Thursday and Friday...do you guys think Military Reserve Connector and Crestline and Kestrel should be fine by early Friday evening (say 545 or 6pm)?

Thanks

Nick
    Nick - I'm thinking it'll depend on how much rain we get tomorrow, but I'll guess that based upon the sand content of the soil on those trails, the Connector will be fine, Crestline will be mostly OK (until you hit the shady areas between the end of Hulls Ridge and the top of lower Hulls Gulch), and Kestrel will be mostly OK, except for the last 15 yards at the top.

In any event, if this warm, dry weather continues, we should have 95% rideable trails (even when unfrozen) in a couple of weeks...just about when my Ventana should be finished!!!

Nooberific
    I rode from the archery range (mountain cove road) -- Up the Military Reserve Connctor, then up crestline, then up sidewinder and back without any mud to speak of yesterday (Tuesday) it was very nice. Tinyest little bit of mud on the connector but only like 5 feet of it and mostly dry.

I took a small detour up 20 (can't remember the name of the trail) and down the ridge to the east of mountain cove road, the way down off the ridge was a little muddy, (By the "black forest") and should be avoided.