Coeur d'Alene MTB scene?- Mtbr.com
    Professional Noob

Coeur d'Alene MTB scene?

I'm used to Utah and living right on the Wasatch range. Plenty of trails to ride.

How does Coeur d'Alene compare?
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

All fat, all the time.
    I haven't had the chance to ride Wasatch area.

We have a good amount of singletrack around here. Canfield right in town, 257 on the east side, Bernard and Hell's canyon just a bit north of town, and more options in the Spokane side.
    If you are willing to drive more than an hour there are tons of Backcountry options in all directions.

Silver Mt runs the gondola if you're into that kind of riding.

Generally pretty quiet as far as other users except for Canfield since it's right in town.

Professional Noob
    Gorgeous looking area. I hear the riding season is short though.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    Gorgeous looking area. I hear the riding season is short though.
    you'll need a fatbike

Don't worry, be happy!
    March- April ish to November ish. Varies from year to year.

Professional Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    March- April ish to November ish. Varies from year to year.
    Oh that's not even bad. That's longer than I've been able to manage with school and all.

mtbr member
    Not Coeur d' Alene but pretty close in the panhandle. Is Clifty-Katka as good a ride as it sounds on mtbProject? https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/804038

Plannning a trip to Canada this summer and probably coming back through Bonner's Ferry, Coeur d' Alene, or Whitefish. I'd like to check out the new stuff like Spencer Mountain in Whitefish but camping options suck near town.

Don't worry, be happy!

mtbr member
    Ah so, that looks pretty nice. Looks like the road portion is easily shuttled?

Don't worry, be happy!
    The shuttle is very slow and adds a lot of time. The best way is to have hikers along who will hike the ridge and then go down and get you at the end of the day. I've shuttled it, done loops with leaving a car at the junction, had the cardio fiends go ahead and get a rig to retrieve those of us dying on the road ride out.... lots of ways to do it.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the beta. I may post to see if anyone is riding it next July. I would be doing 7 summits the day before so might be biting off more than I care to chew. I see Long Canyon is across the street. Too bad that's not in the mix anymore.

Don't worry, be happy!
    7 summits the day before? Unless you are some sort of mountain biking cardio freak that does that kind of thing all the time ya I'd suggest a rest day.

mtbr member
    7 summits the day before? Unless you are some sort of mountain biking cardio freak that does that kind of thing all the time ya I'd suggest a rest day.
    No, not really. More like a long-haul trucker in my advancing age but I like long backcountry rides. But point taken. Just doing my due diligence on research. And probably should have posted a new thread but figured a pan handle ride is part of the Coeur d' Alene scene. Cheers and thanks for the beta. If you're ever back down to Flagstaff/Sedona I'll be sure to provide the same.

Don't worry, be happy!
    There is a whole bunch of fantastic backcountry riding up in that neck of the woods.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/user/7015509/john-monks

This guy is one of my riding buds so check out his entries into mtbproject.
    There is a nice little home published trail guide that you can get from Greasy Fingers

imsho, Long Canyon was overrated. It was cool for the remoteness and old school singletrack, but I prefer the high alpine rides more.

mtbr member
    There is a whole bunch of fantastic backcountry riding up in that neck of the woods.

There is a nice little home published trail guide that you can get from Greasy Fingers

imsho, Long Canyon was overrated. It was cool for the remoteness and old school singletrack, but I prefer the high alpine rides more.
    Good to know. Timber Mountain Loop or Brush Lake Loop might make better recovery rides. Plan after that is to hit Curly Lake HiLine outside of Cardell in MT. But who knows, I've been skunked on summer vacation plans lately. 2015 my van melted a piston in Ontario, OR and last year wifey broke her ankle the day before we were to leave for the Chilcotins.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Brush lake is a fun little ride, perfect recovery loop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Curly lake loop has been pretty blown out the last few years. The motos hit it hard now that they got the squeeze in the area. Tobacco roots still have some good rides though. If you hit that ride right when the season opens it can be less chewed up.
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

mtbr member
    I'd be hitting it in late July. It's that, Blackmore-Cottonwood, or Mile-Sheep. One or all or none. Time will tell. I drop the girls off in Calgary so I'll be solo but probably mincemeat after a couple of days in Revelstoke with a 7 summit chaser.

It's been two decades since we last shared a ride Dan. Join me if you can get a hall pass. Or, anyone for that matter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds good. Miles sheep is a pretty nice ride.Blackmore is backyard back country.Pm me for my contact info.
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'd be hitting it in late July. It's that, Blackmore-Cottonwood, or Mile-Sheep. One or all or none. Time will tell. I drop the girls off in Calgary so I'll be solo but probably mincemeat after a couple of days in Revelstoke with a 7 summit chaser.

It's been two decades since we last shared a ride Dan. Join me if you can get a hall pass. Or, anyone for that matter.
    Hey Rockman,

I second getting a hold of Brian Anderson of Greasy Fingers in Sandpoint, great guy and can provide you with most if not all the info you seek in the CDA area. I also have a copy of the trails book that was mentioned by Formica I won't be using anytime soon. I am in Cache Valley and I'd be happy to send it you. Feel free to shoot me a message!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    I'm used to Utah and living right on the Wasatch range. Plenty of trails to ride.

How does Coeur d'Alene compare?
    I live on the Wasatch front, have friends in Sandpoint and have ridden there a few times. My observations:

Trails not as numerous as the Wasatch, particularly when you include Park City. We really have a massive amount of trail here. On the flip side, the trails I've ridden are up there are quite good, and there doesn't seem to be as much trail traffic. Plus, I suspect when you run into someone on the trail, they're probably local and maybe a future riding buddy. The Wasatch and Park City gets a lot of tourist traffic. Of course that helps to pay for, maintain, and advocate for all of the trails we have.

No aspen (quakies) trees. You tend to be riding in canopy most of the time with only occasional views. And, while you hear of the occasional bear sighting on the wasatch, they are MUCH more commonly encountered in north Idaho, and depending on where you are riding it might not just be blacks, but grizz as well.

I've only been in the summer but my understanding is the season is a bit shorter, maybe a month later start and earlier close. Shoulder season gems like Moab and winter warm weather destinations like St. George and Vegas are further away. That may not matter to you.

This is mostly based on riding closer to Sandpoint (I've been as far south as Bernard that's been mentioned) but the distance would be like comparing ogden riding to provo riding.... in other words, likely very similar.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    This is great info to know.

I just bought a house in Post Falls and will be moving in June. I will be looking for places to ride!!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Here are some group to look up
    Evergreen East (mostly Eastern WA)
    Pend O'reille Pedalers
    on Facebook Ride 7B, Lake City Trail Builders, Mountain Biking in the Inland Northwest

mtbr member
    Here are some group to look up
    Evergreen East (mostly Eastern WA)
    Pend O'reille Pedalers
    on Facebook Ride 7B, Lake City Trail Builders, Mountain Biking in the Inland Northwest
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Damn that Clifty ride looks fun!!

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    I live 5 minutes north of Post Falls, just moved here at end of 2015. Best to get hooked into the local shops, but you are in a good central spot for all the good riding. Canfield/Beauty Bay/Liberty Lake/Beacon Hill/Iller Creek are all within 30 minutes, with Silver Mountain/Bernard Peak/Mount Spokane/Schweitzer less than an hour away. Couple that with the Centennial and the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes and you should be set for a while.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    I live 5 minutes north of Post Falls, just moved here at end of 2015. Best to get hooked into the local shops, but you are in a good central spot for all the good riding. Canfield/Beauty Bay/Liberty Lake/Beacon Hill/Iller Creek are all within 30 minutes, with Silver Mountain/Bernard Peak/Mount Spokane/Schweitzer less than an hour away. Couple that with the Centennial and the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes and you should be set for a while.
    Thanks!!

rth009
    May 2010
    I'll be traveling in the area of Kellogg-Spokane on I-90 this weekend and need a ride suggestion. Sunday, I'm hitting the lifts at Silver Mountain, but I need a ride suggestion for Saturday. I've done the Beauty Bay/Mount Coeur D'Alene and loved it. Potential choices I've found on trailforks are Beacon Hill (Spokane), Mount Spokane, Jewel Gulch (near Wallace), Graham Mountain (North of Kellogg). I don't want to travel too far of I-90 if possible, but anywhere between Missoula and Spokane is good. I like big backcountry rides as well as stacked trail systems, I just want to ride something new.

Suggestions?

Don't worry, be happy!
    it is hot AF right n

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    clark fork river trail out of st regis, mt is easy to get to. silver was very dry, dusty, rocky and blown out on sunday. First time I have ever left early.

rth009
    May 2010
    I rode silver on sunday as well. It was "very dry, dusty, rocky and blown out", but I didnt know any different because Id never been there, nor done lift-served riding on a huge travel squish machine. I thought it was awesome.

I rode Canfield on Saturday afternoon, starting about 4. It was hot down in town, but on the trail it was not too bad given the forest cover. Those are pretty fun trails, Im sure once you get to know it you can piece together some good rides.

Clark fork river trail is on the list, but I wanted to get into ID since I was going to be traveling further west anyway.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach529 View Post
    Damn that Clifty ride looks fun!!
    I have been told the access road that makes a shuttle possible is unmaintained now and not usable. If one were to shuttle it now you have to go around to the N along the Kootenay river. Seems longer but with the how sh*tty the road was before it's about the same amount of time I would guess. Or do the road pedal if you are not a mere mortal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    I rode silver on sunday as well. It was "very dry, dusty, rocky and blown out", but I didnt know any different because Id never been there, nor done lift-served riding on a huge travel squish machine. I thought it was awesome.
    I went to lunch at subway and was debating go back for a couple of more runs, or go home and get the honey doos done. I am only a half hour away, so I went and got the honey doos done. I am glad you liked it, there is some fun tech stuff there.