Coeur D'Alene- Mtbr.com

Thread: Coeur D'Alene

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Coeur D'Alene

Hubby and I will be visiting family in Coeur d'Alene for a few days around Christmas. I'm pretty sure that the trails are all covered in snow, but is there anything the locals can recommend a few mountain bikers to check out while we're there anyway?

We'll probably have access to a vehicle and will be coming from Spokane, so anything nearby is fair game for a recommendation. We may snowboard one day (what's the best area nearby?)

Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    We may snowboard one day (what's the best area nearby?)
    Could try Silver Mountain. 75 miles from Spokane. They have had an awesome early season.

Silver Mountain Website

Here's their webcam..

SingleTrackSal

Canfield...

It's supposed to get cold and snow a bit early next week, if so then the riding up on Canfield Mountain might not be that bad. I was up there a week ago and it was a bit on the slushy side, but colder temps should improve conditions.

I work at a local shop (Vertical Earth, it's downtown on Cd'A Ave), stop by or call and we can give you the skinny. We rent bikes too if need be.

Safe travels...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackSal
    It's supposed to get cold and snow a bit early next week, if so then the riding up on Canfield Mountain might not be that bad. I was up there a week ago and it was a bit on the slushy side, but colder temps should improve conditions.

I work at a local shop (Vertical Earth, it's downtown on Cd'A Ave), stop by or call and we can give you the skinny. We rent bikes too if need be.

Safe travels...
    Sweet, we'll stop by! Would be cool to get in riding, even if it was just a few short miles

Thanks for the info!

Don't worry, be happy!
    In Spokane, Riverside is usually fairly rideable this time of year, as is the front side of Beacon which dries out really fast. It really depends on the precipitation both in town and in the mountains between now and then. Temp can really affect things too. What is rideable in the early morning while frozen can turn into horrible goo by mid day, and then it refreezes at night.

For boarding, Silver is alright. (not my favorite but whatever) Lookout Pass is a lot of fun, small family style resort that's higher up than Silver, there's almost always better snow there than anywhere else. Also, Schweitzer which is "resort" skiing in Sandpoint, Mt. Spokane ( send me a PM if you want a mt. tour, I'm there all the time) and 49 North. Every area had an awesome early season but unless we get new snow in a hurry it's going to suck extremely where ever you go.

Formica in (windy) Spokane.
    Most of the resorts are closed today ( friday) due to wind and power outages.
    Last edited by formica; 12-15-2006 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree with Formica, Silver is not that fun for boarding. I've had much better times at both Mt. Spokane and 49.

Formica, is Riverside fun when its frozen or is it just rideable? Is there a map of the trails at the park? Trying to decide if I should bring the bike to Spokanistan for the holidays.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Rockyrider would probably have the more realistic answer as I think he's still riding every weekend. As of today ( friday pm) there's no snow on the ground. I spend all my spare time at Mt.Spokane and am not riding much right now. The best map is the one that the backcountry horsemen have made, you can pick it up at REI or Mountain Gear for $5.95.

Oh, and 49 has a brand new quad, they've opened up 6-800 more acres for glades! But all the areas need new snow right now. Maybe tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    In Spokane, Riverside is usually fairly rideable this time of year, as is the front side of Beacon which dries out really fast. It really depends on the precipitation both in town and in the mountains between now and then. Temp can really affect things too. What is rideable in the early morning while frozen can turn into horrible goo by mid day, and then it refreezes at night.

For boarding, Silver is alright. (not my favorite but whatever) Lookout Pass is a lot of fun, small family style resort that's higher up than Silver, there's almost always better snow there than anywhere else. Also, Schweitzer which is "resort" skiing in Sandpoint, Mt. Spokane ( send me a PM if you want a mt. tour, I'm there all the time) and 49 North. Every area had an awesome early season but unless we get new snow in a hurry it's going to suck extremely where ever you go.

Formica in (windy) Spokane.
    Most of the resorts are closed today ( friday) due to wind and power outages.
    well, let's all keep our fingers crossed...'cause i'm going to be up there for christmas too (visiting friends who were boise transplants that transplanted up to CDA). don't intend to hijack the thread..

but where should be go boarding? schweitzer one day..lookout the other day? or lookout both days?

Don't worry, be happy!
    for snowsports, I really suggest watching the reports and waiting to decide. The general rules of thumb are that Lookout is the highest so is most likely to have the driest/most new snow, and Mt. Spokane is the lowest, so if its' warmish chances are good for fog there. Silver and Schweitzer have more wind closures. Schweitzer is also notorious for long lines on holidays.

I'm fairly opinionated about the local resorts. Since Red Mt, Rossland, BC only takes fifteen minutes more from my house than going to Schweitzer, we never go to Schweitzer. Red is offering FREE skiing on Xmas day, how about that? If the snow is good, and you haven't been up there, omfg - go! The new glades at 49 are going to be awesome. Lookout is the "keeping it real" resort - lots of folks out there in carharts and camo and antique gear out there having a great time.

It all comes down to conditions, how far you want to go and how much you want to pay.
    Lookout is $28 on a weekend, Silver is $44, Schweitzer is $49, Mt. Spokane $36, 49 is $40 ($34 weekday)

attached photo is what you get if you are up on Canfield mountain and it thaws out while you are up there. The plan was to finish the ride earlier than the thaw, but you know how plans go...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Formica - thanks for all the info! Not really sure what the family has planned for us, but we're hoping to board one day (my cousin from Portland boards a lot, so he may just choose as he may be more familiar with the areas than the rest of us). Hubby just found out about an hour ago he fractured his ulna, though, so he may be relegated to not doing anything. We'll see how that goes.

If there are rideable trails nearby we definitely may want to check that out, again if that's possible for him. But it'd be sweet. Luckily we'd be renting bikes, so wouldn't have to clean up all the mud!

SingleTrackSal

Ummm...

There's a surcharge for that, per cubic centimeter of mud removed!

mtbr member
    Like Formica said there is little or no snow on the ground here in Spocompton at the moment and the ground is pretty well frozen so as long as you ride while it's below freezing it's pretty good. There is a chance of snow in the forcast almost every day this next week and usually a good tire with wide spaced knobs is all you need because in the course of a week the snow won't be compacted enough to warrant studs or anything other than warm clothes.

Canfield in CdA, Beacon, Riverside, or even the south hill in Spokane should all be rideable but I'd stay away from the south hill if it snows. You can PM me for directions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica

attached photo is what you get if you are up on Canfield mountain and it thaws out while you are up there. The plan was to finish the ride earlier than the thaw, but you know how plans go...
    That is definitely a "need new brake pads" picture....

Lacticacid head
    I would suggest carying a pack saw in your camelback if your going to hit any singletrack, there will be a lot of blow down crossing the trails! That storm was a pretty good one.
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

Members who have read this thread: 0