Tribe member

CDA info seeking

A couple years ago I moved from Bend (OR) to Michigan. I've loathed almost every minute of it! haha The family and I are exploring other PNW locations and I have Wenatchee and CDA at the top of the list to check out. Does anyone have any good information in comparing either place to Bend? Is it sunny enough throughout the year? Riding seems pretty good and lots of other great outdoor adventures to be had. Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Neither place has the trail options that Bend has, but Wenatchee is probably the closest as far as weather. CdA is nice in the summer too though. Both get real winters.

As far as riding options, the trails near Wenatchee are closer to Bend as far as the style of trails and terrain. There are some wonderful trails close by there. CdA has Canfield close by, but otherwise you have to drive a little bit to ride. We live in Liberty Lake, which is half way in between Spokane and CdA, so we ride the trails in both areas. Two of my favorite trails anywhere are Bernard and 257, both of which are in the CdA area. If you like bike parks, Silver Mt isn't far away. The Spokane area trails are not far either (Beacon, Mt Spokane, etc). You can also get up to the Sandpoint area easily.

Both of the towns offer great options for restaurants, etc. I'd give CdA the nod in that regard because of the better brewery options (that I know of). Leavenworth is near Wenatchee though and even though it is touristy, it has some cool places.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee View Post
    A couple years ago I moved from Bend (OR) to Michigan. I've loathed almost every minute of it! haha The family and I are exploring other PNW locations and I have Wenatchee and CDA at the top of the list to check out. Does anyone have any good information in comparing either place to Bend? Is it sunny enough throughout the year? Riding seems pretty good and lots of other great outdoor adventures to be had. Many thanks!
    I'm curious as to what part of Michigan you moved to? I'm from there (living in Portland last 20 years) and loathe every minute when my friends drag me to Bend to ride their flat dusty trails. MI isn't exactly a mountain biking mecca but Marquette is gaining traction and MI is hella better than anything in the NW for water sports. As to your question... I'd pick Sandpoint over CDA any day to avoid all the tourists and golfers. Sandpoint is a true adventure town with a great ski area (Schweitzer) and a large lake for water sports too. Downtown area has nice restaurants and pubs as well. Not much to not like except for home prices... I would buy there but too rich for my blood so I'm looking at MT for my final stop off point. Wenatchee? That town just has a bad vibe if you ask me... you won't understand until you visit but it doesn't cater to adventure tourism like Bend and Sandpoint do. Chelan is a different story...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 1 Week Ago at 12:06 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Tribe member
    We are down in Marshall. It's close to where I grew up. I went to college up in Marquette back in 01-03. Thanks for the input G Man. I'll do some looking at Sandpoint to see what is offered in the way of schools and home prices.

Tribe member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    Neither place has the trail options that Bend has, but Wenatchee is probably the closest as far as weather. CdA is nice in the summer too though. Both get real winters.

As far as riding options, the trails near Wenatchee are closer to Bend as far as the style of trails and terrain. There are some wonderful trails close by there. CdA has Canfield close by, but otherwise you have to drive a little bit to ride. We live in Liberty Lake, which is half way in between Spokane and CdA, so we ride the trails in both areas. Two of my favorite trails anywhere are Bernard and 257, both of which are in the CdA area. If you like bike parks, Silver Mt isn't far away. The Spokane area trails are not far either (Beacon, Mt Spokane, etc). You can also get up to the Sandpoint area easily.

Both of the towns offer great options for restaurants, etc. I'd give CdA the nod in that regard because of the better brewery options (that I know of). Leavenworth is near Wenatchee though and even though it is touristy, it has some cool places.
    Thanks for the information. My boys and I are hoping to get out that way in April/May to do a little reconnaissance. Since it's only a few hours between CdA and Wenatchee, we'd likely hit up both spots for a couple days each.

mtbr member
    "That town just has a bad vibe if you ask me... you won't understand until you visit"

Curious comment. I have family there and a few riding acquaintances that live there and have stayed there numerous times and never picked up on it. It does have a large number of Latinos because of the agriculture in the area that adds to the character of the town. CdA on the other hand is pretty white and pretty conservative, though not as much as some other nearby towns (Rathdrum...there are some bad vibes there).

I agree that Sandpoint is a nice area, but we sure haven't found great eating places there. Maybe we just haven't found it yet. There are some that are ok but we find we usually hit something in the CdA area anymore (or the Porch in Hayden).

mtbr member
    ^^ My comment has nothing to do with cultural/ethnical diversity, in fact growing up in Detroit I miss that living here in Oregon. It has more to do with the lack of friendliness of the people, more blue-collar than they want outsiders to believe (they WANT to be more upscale like Bend so as to get tourism dollars but most drive straight thru to Chelan), and even more so by the drug and alcohol problems that town has, not to mention the worst schools in the state. I'll just stop there.

You need to try Baxter's on Cedar ST in Sandpoint. I think they've only been there about a year or two. FANTASTIC food (I think the owner is from Columbia so they do a South American twist on some of their dishes). Baxters on Cedar – Food, beer & wine
    Also a couple nice spots at Schweitzer village. Eichardt's Pub has great bar food/sandwiches and one of the best pub atmospheres in the country let alone ID (and great live music too). There's also a new farm-to-fork place I can't think of and some wineries have opened up tasting and food downtown. It's rapidly changing... at about the same rate their real-estate is escalating (unfortunately for me).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 1 Week Ago at 12:09 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    CDA sucks for riding from about Dec 1 to Apr 1. Wenatchee/Cle Elum/Leavenworth area on the other hand are pretty epic year round, with Stevens Pass right there.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Winter: Fatbike scene is gaining a lot of traction. Skiing (all flavors) snowshoeing are also winter options. Winter only sucks if you let it.

Sandpoint is overrated, as is Schweitzer. Yes it's a groovy little resort town but I understand that it gets pretty small and provincial if you actually LIVE there.

Wentachee.... look up NurseBen. He loves it there, been there by choice for many years.

Spokane chiming in here fwiw. This area (Spokane/CDA) has been discovered for affordable housing so don't expect any deals. Sellers get to sort through dozens of above asking price offers and things are moving fast.

Lake City Trail Builders is the CDA mtb group.

All fat, all the time.
    Please move here, our place will be on the market in the summer

There is a pretty decent winter here, so fatbike, and skis, and maybe snowshoes, and a skidoo, will help get through those months.
    I love all the different seasons here.
    Very little crime if you avoid downtown Spokane.

It's funny, how different people like totally opposite riding. I hear people rant and rave about Bend (yes the weather is better over the winter) but so sandy, I wasn't impressed with local trails. Down the road at Oakridge though, heck yeah.
    CdA , there is a lot of "Backcountry feel" trails within an hour drive. Even trails like 257 and Bernard are usually pretty empty except for Saturday's.

Apparently California and Colorado have figured it out, driving up the housing prices the past 2 years.

Be prepared to see moose, bear, cougars, bobcats, wolves, elk, even a skunk last year.

All fat, all the time.
    Nothing wrong with fatbiking...
    It can get icy though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm going to guess that's 4th of July Pass, though the cool thing is that I can think of at least a few other places it might be.

All fat, all the time.
    Guess again

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Nothing wrong with fatbiking...
    It can get icy though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I have almost that exact same picture.

CDA info seeking-canfield.jpg
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

All fat, all the time.
    ^^that's awesome

mtbr member
    Canfield? Fernan? It doesn't look like a view I can think of from Mt Spokane.

All fat, all the time.
    Yep Canfield, climbing up the road last week, to get to the singletrack back down (a bit sketchy but fun!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Sandpoint is overrated, as is Schweitzer.
    I've snowboarded every major resort in the Pacific NW and Schweitzer is far underrated if you ask me... Some of the best light pow in the Pacific NW (being so far East), terrain as steep and gnarly as anywhere and some of the best tree runs in the Pacific NW, combined with... NO LIFT LINES, like, EVER! The only knock I can think of is the runs are relatively short if you compare to maybe Sun Valley or Bachelor. Of course those places are larger but bring a lot more crowds (Bachelor has gotten really bad even during the week) so... I've found I get more riding time at Schweitzer and have had some of my best days ever there. To each their own.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I've snowboarded every major resort in the Pacific NW and Schweitzer is far underrated if you ask me... Some of the best light pow in the Pacific NW (being so far East), terrain as steep and gnarly as anywhere and some of the best tree runs in the Pacific NW, combined with... NO LIFT LINES, like, EVER! The only knock I can think of is the runs are relatively short if you compare to maybe Sun Valley or Bachelor. Of course those places are larger but bring a lot more crowds (Bachelor has gotten really bad even during the week) so... I've found I get more riding time at Schweitzer and have had some of my best days ever there. To each their own.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Yes indeed. :-)
    Being as we are so close to the Powder Highway......

Oh wait, this is a MTB forum. Never mind the Powder Highway.

All fat, all the time.
    Is it bad we've lived here for 5 years and I haven't been up to Schweitzer yet?
    Silver is so close, and lookout is so damn cheap.

I'm no ski snob