CDA Idaho Recommendations Pls!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

CDA Idaho Recommendations Pls!

My wife and i arrive tomorrow (Sat Oct 1) and will be in town until Tuesday. We are bringing our tandem rode bike and my mountain bike. I'd like to get a 50-70 mile ride on the road and some good mtb in.

I haven't been able to find much on recommended trails in CDA. I believe our hotel is near Vertical Earth so I figured that would be a good place for resources.

Does anyone have any must ride trail recommendations? I could use some long epic-ish recommendations as well as some shorter routes for afternoon fun.

For you roadies - I really want to ride some of the Trail of the CDA. Unfortunately it seems kinda far to ride to the trail and back. I'm not opposed to driving to the trail so any recommendations on scenic sections would be awesome. Ideally we would do a point to point of the whole 70 mi trail but that seems logistically difficult. We will likely do an out and back of a 35 mile section or a loop of some sort.

Lotsa questions so I thank you all in advance! I look forward to our trip. Thanks again!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by sdstumpy View Post
    My wife and i arrive tomorrow (Sat Oct 1) and will be in town until Tuesday. We are bringing our tandem rode bike and my mountain bike. I'd like to get a 50-70 mile ride on the road and some good mtb in.

I haven't been able to find much on recommended trails in CDA. I believe our hotel is near Vertical Earth so I figured that would be a good place for resources.

Does anyone have any must ride trail recommendations? I could use some long epic-ish recommendations as well as some shorter routes for afternoon fun.

For you roadies - I really want to ride some of the Trail of the CDA. Unfortunately it seems kinda far to ride to the trail and back. I'm not opposed to driving to the trail so any recommendations on scenic sections would be awesome. Ideally we would do a point to point of the whole 70 mi trail but that seems logistically difficult. We will likely do an out and back of a 35 mile section or a loop of some sort.

Lotsa questions so I thank you all in advance! I look forward to our trip. Thanks again!

Drive down to Plummer and start on the Trail of the CDA's down there and ride to Harrison and have lunch and come back.. its a good ~60ish mile loop.. I am not 100% sure on the total distance but its in the realm of 65 miles, Also once you get down off the initial 1 mile hill out of Plummer, you will be able to make awesome time on the tandem, its flat as can be.. I have friends that have done 120 miles on that trail in one day because its flat and easy to just get in a groove and go.. Assuming the wind doesnt pick up..

Also on one night or morning, just jump on the Centennial trail there right by your hotel and then ride out to Higgins point out on the lake.. It will only be like 15 or so miles for you but its a awesome view of the lake and stopping at a restaurant in Downtown CDA on the way back in is a good idea.. Moontime down on Sherman has awesome food and a cool atmosphere for dinner or Bakery By The Lake is a great coffee shop that has good coffee and good breakfast muchies..

As for the MTB, get on I-90 and drive out the the wolf lodge exit and drive around the ridge and when you get to the bay there you will see the Highway take a right and start to climb, instead, go straight (cant remember the Road #) anyways there will be a campground on the right, you can either park there or drive farther up to Trail 257. I would park at the bottom of trail 257 and then just climb up it and come back down, Or you can climb the road up for a few miles and once it hits dirt, take a right, then you will see another road take off right after the wide spot in the road, take a right again and you will see trail 257 drop off to the right.. Ride it all the way down to the bottom.. IMBA was just here and they said that trail 257 was up there with one of the most fun trails they have ridden.

If you have any questions, just stop by Vertical Earth there and they will be able to help you out.. Even though I work for a different shop in town, they are good guys and will get you where you want to go..