CDA Bike shops with boutique rentals... or Silver Mountain- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew

CDA Bike shops with boutique rentals... or Silver Mountain

Just found out I'm headed back to CDA to work the Ironman race at the end of June and need to figure out some stuff to make a fun day for myself. Last time was 5 or more years ago and I rented a Specialized from Two Wheeler and rode Caribou Ridge.

I'll be flying in Friday, June 28. Was thinking of either renting another bike, hopefully something fun I don't see every day like an Evil, and riding some of the other local tech, if I can remember what trails were in my "to do" list, but remembered Silver Mountain was not far away. I never get to bike parks and that would be a welcome change.

So, question one. Any stores rent oddball bikes? I can certainly use Trailforks to figure out where to ride (hopefully all your trails are on it).

Two. Is Silver Mountain bad ass? When does it open/close? Last time I was in CDA they were only open on Sat/Sun and I couldn't make it work with the Ironman schedule. This year I should be able to get in a solid half day or more on Saturday or maybe straight to the lift from the airport on Friday and ride from noon to close.

Thanks!

beater
    Silver is pretty rad. Iíve worked the NAEC for the last 3 years, and weíve ridden the park during the week while setting up. So I *think* itís open- I wasnít paying attention, but I assume it was. Thatíll be clear on their website. But to answer your question, yes, the bike park is well worth riding.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Silver is awesome, and you can definitely fill a whole day there. There is a zone at the top where you can do hot laps, but if you do top to bottom, you have to ride back to the base. I think an "enduro" bike is the best there, as it can handle the terrain, but does not suck to pedal back.

CDA Bike Co is cool and you can grab a beer there, but it looks like Santa Cruz is what they rent. Nada wrong with that, just not an Evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Silver is awesome, and you can definitely fill a whole day there. There is a zone at the top where you can do hot laps, but if you do top to bottom, you have to ride back to the base. I think an "enduro" bike is the best there, as it can handle the terrain, but does not suck to pedal back.
    Define "ride back to the base." I've never been to Silver but I've also never been to a lift assisted park where the trails didn't spit you out relatively close to the lift at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    CDA Bike Co is cool and you can grab a beer there, but it looks like Santa Cruz is what they rent. Nada wrong with that, just not an Evil.
    No, a Bronson is a good bike even though I'm spoiled with the clown wheels now...

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Define "ride back to the base." I've never been to Silver but I've also never been to a lift assisted park where the trails didn't spit you out relatively close to the lift at the bottom.
    This is different. Silverís ski area is limited to the top of the mountain, and you use the gondola to go to and from. If you ride the bike trails all the way to the valley floor, you are about 2 miles from the gondola and the resort. Almost the whole ride back is on a paved bike path. You can see this at a glance on Trailforks.

rth009
    May 2010
    And its not a bad ride from the end of the downhill trails to the gondola base on a downhill bike. I cant recall for sure how long, maybe 10 minutes. I chose to do laps on the top and only take 2 top to bottom runs because the gondola ride is a long one, not because of the ride back to the gondola.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    This is different. Silverís ski area is limited to the top of the mountain, and you use the gondola to go to and from. If you ride the bike trails all the way to the valley floor, you are about 2 miles from the gondola and the resort. Almost the whole ride back is on a paved bike path. You can see this at a glance on Trailforks.
    OK, I think I see it now. The gondola picks up right beside that football field and drops off at the Skills Park. You can take any of the trails which seem to spit you out on Trail of the Coeur D'Alenes which is about a mile and a half from the gondola. That doesn't seem bad. A nice cool down if you're killin' it on those trails, which I won't be...

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    And its not a bad ride from the end of the downhill trails to the gondola base on a downhill bike. I cant recall for sure how long, maybe 10 minutes. I chose to do laps on the top and only take 2 top to bottom runs because the gondola ride is a long one, not because of the ride back to the gondola.
    Yeah, it looked to be generally downhill as well...

What are the laps? Are all the "chairs" running so you take the smaller lift back to the top? Chairs 2, 3, and 5 look to be at the bottom of some trails, all of which are very short. Hammer, Snake Pit, Frank N Beans.

rth009
    May 2010
    There is only one chair running on top for the bike park, Chair 3.
    https://www.silvermt.com/Portals/0/P...ack%20flat.pdf

Not sure how much vert it is off hand, maybe 800', but its a long enough, and the chair ride short enough, that there is no reason to ride all the way down to the base unless you want to rest, eat and drink on the long gondola ride. By "laps" I mean riding the chair up and riding the bike down and then repeating immediatley and repeatedly until my hands and forearms are so tired I cant go anymore.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    There is only one chair running on top for the bike park, Chair 3.
    https://www.silvermt.com/Portals/0/P...ack%20flat.pdf

Not sure how much vert it is off hand, maybe 800', but its a long enough, and the chair ride short enough, that there is no reason to ride all the way down to the base unless you want to rest, eat and drink on the long gondola ride. By "laps" I mean riding the chair up and riding the bike down and then repeating immediatley and repeatedly until my hands and forearms are so tired I cant go anymore.
    That map helps! I looked on their site but since it's still snow time there's little I found on MTBing...

The laps is what I was thinking. I didn't notice at first that there were several smaller chairs that might be running. Looks like lotsa trails to hook up with the Chair 3 Road and back up.

beater
    Yeah, it looked to be generally downhill as well...

What are the laps? Are all the "chairs" running so you take the smaller lift back to the top? Chairs 2, 3, and 5 look to be at the bottom of some trails, all of which are very short. Hammer, Snake Pit, Frank N Beans.
    Normal operation includes the gondola and chair 3. Iíve never noticed chair 5 running, but itís possible Iíve missed it because Iíve been there for races and focussed on what I was doing. Their park description doesnít mention chair 5, though.

The chair 3 trails are a hoot, but yeah, they arenít that long. A full top-bottom run is no joke, though. Last I heard the mountain record was 11ish minutes. If you like nasty, rooty, old-school trails, youíll be happy.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    The chair 3 trails are a hoot, but yeah, they arenít that long. A full top-bottom run is no joke, though. Last I heard the mountain record was 11ish minutes. If you like nasty, rooty, old-school trails, youíll be happy.
    The hard part will be picking out the trails (sight unseen) that are gonna challenge me but not kill me...

I'm not fast but have good tech skills. Not great at jumping but if it's a table top I'm not worried. Big gaps maybe not so much...

beater
    The hard part will be picking out the trails (sight unseen) that are gonna challenge me but not kill me...

I'm not fast but have good tech skills. Not great at jumping but if it's a table top I'm not worried. Big gaps maybe not so much...
    Sounds like me. Youíll be fine. There are some big features, but theyíre obvious, and there are ride-arounds. Silver also has really good feature and difficulty signage. The only feature I can think of that youíre better off riding is the entrance to lower Hammer. The ride-around is pretty janky.

Make sure you ride Mutton Conductor. So much fun.

All fat, all the time.
    Biggest day I had there was 7 runs top to bottom, back up gondola. Was on a hardtail fatty too, got some weird looks lol. I was beat after that. Fun place for sure.