Casper/Sheridan WY- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Casper/Sheridan WY

I'm going to be up in Casper/Sheridan over Labor Day Weekend. Are there any races in the area at that time? If not what are the must ride trails? Are there any good local knowledge sites I can't seem to find much.

Thanks.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    There are some trails around the Laramie Peak area, but there are sure to be a few local trails. There should be a shop in town, check there. Else, I recall a trail or two in the Falcon Guide, Mountain Biking Wyoming but they might be forest roads.

mtbr member
    Sadly there is nothing like the trails you are probably used to around Denver.

There is plenty of riding on Casper Mountain. There is a trail network on the mountain called the maze. It is a trail system for cross country skiers, but it is open to bicycles in the summer months. I have ridden up there a few times and it is pretty good riding, but not technical in any way. Other than that, the riding I have done on Casper Mountain is mostly 2 track / ATV roads. You can log lots of miles and it is a good work out, but it is not great mountain biking. I know there are trails on Muddy Mountain as well, but I have never ridden there so I can't comment on them. Hopefully someone else will have more information for you.

I don't know of any trails right out of Sheridan. There has got to be some decent riding around there, but I don't get that way very often and I honestly don't know of any trails close to town. If you have a little time to travel you should look at doing some riding around Shell Wyoming. It is not that far from Sheridan and there are some really good places to ride over that way. The Bench trail is right outside of Shell just to name one. There is a trail that you can access from the campground at Sibley Lake. Take I-90 North from Sheridan then take the Dayton exit and stay on HWY 14 through Dayton and it will take you right to the campground. If you ride the whole loop it is 50 miles and at the furtherest point you will be down by the Antelope Butte Ski area near Shell. I have not ridden the whole trail. I have ridden both ends of it and I have a map that shows it, but I really don't know how well it it marked or how tough of a ride it is. I talked to a guy that lives in Greybull and he told me that they ride it in a day, but I will tell you right now that I have ridden with those guys and they are really strong riders.

If you go to Sheridan from Casper on I-25 you will pass through Buffalo and there is a very nice little trail right out of town there. It is short, but if you are passing through it is a very nice trail and worth the stop. There is a review with directions on the trail reviews section of this site.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    Here is a link to the Medicine Bow National Forest trails. Check under the Douglas Ranger District for the trails nearest Casper. You might need a Forest Service map for the Laramie Peak area though to figure out which ones are closest to where you'll be and what trails are open to bikes. FYI

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/recreation/trails/

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I'll be able to get in some riding at least. I haven't been up that way in years so any new trails should have some level of fun involved in riding them.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    The little riding I have done in Sheridan has been up near Story, about 15 min drive from town up into the Bighorns. I think the trail was called Piney Creek. Drive up to Story and park near the fish hatchery, also near a park. It was an out and back, I'm not sure where the trail actually ends up if you continue onward. Tough rocky climbing on the way up, bumpy decending on the way back. Sorry, that's the best I could remember! I know there's a bike shop in Sheridan that could point you to some other trails. North of town in the bighorns looked promising, along the highway pass that goes through there.

Tracking up the place
    Backcountry Bicycles in Sheridan will have the answer you need.. Good Shop ... Shell bench is great trail, but be prepared for exposure.. There is a trail around sibley lake and amp at the trail head.. near the parking are of the Dock... Seemed pretty extensive...
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

Members who have read this thread: 0