Which carbon seatpost style is most reliable- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Which carbon seatpost style is most reliable

for holding the seat firmly at its angle?

Because The kalloy alu post on my carbon frame seems fine but it's heavy.

Sette: the setback one is only 170grams! The other is about 230grams. one is $50 the lighter one is $75.

Sette, I was looking at their website - they seem like a quality company.

One other question does anybody know of an eyewear company that is making the transitional lenses, other than Specialized brand? I'd like to get a pair but the big S brands are too expensive. Getting tired of changing lenses.

thanks
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 11-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.

mtbr member
    if going on your mtnbike, go with aluminum... practically the same weight and costs less... or just go thomson...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi Gary,

this is for my road bike

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oakley has transitions lenses, and many frames offer easy interchange. I just ordered a pair of custom Oakley Half Jackets with Titanium Clear lenses for work, with plans to purchase more lenses in the future. The custom portion of there website has any option you could want.

mtbr member
    D, my experience is that Aluminum posts are as light and cheaper than carbon posts. For the money, it's tough to beat the cost/weight ratio of aluminum posts.

Sette is the house brand of Price Point. Not sure about their quality.

Performance's house brand carbon post is also supposed to be super light. Although I've heard a few bad reviews for some of Performance's stuff, I've not heard anything bad about the seat post. And a broken seat post is pretty insignificant compared to things like broken bars or stems.

For the weight/strength, it's hard to beat a Thomson post. They're not cheap, but cheaper than the majority of light weight carbon posts.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    how much weight are you expecting to save by swapping out seat post?

your current post can't be that heavy (can it?)..and if you're looking to cut weight..why not look at another area where money will be better spent?

put that money towards wheels or cranks. i don't know.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    all good stuff on this road bike, carbon diamondback podium4. I guess i'm being picky.
    the stock post was cut too short so i got a cheap post which seems to work fine, but not be as smooth as carbon and no it's not like dumbbell heavy! Just you know how it is with us and parts!

mtbr member
    wileyX makes transition lenses. You can get them perscription too.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

sharing the love
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    all good stuff on this road bike, carbon diamondback podium4. I guess i'm being picky.
    the stock post was cut too short so i got a cheap post which seems to work fine, but not be as smooth as carbon and no it's not like dumbbell heavy! Just you know how it is with us and parts!
    Aren't you road riding for the excercise???
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi Chris,
    yes pretty much for exercise only. I think I see what you're saying!

mtbr member

One other question does anybody know of an eyewear company that is making the transitional lenses, other than Specialized brand? I'd like to get a pair but the big S brands are too expensive. Getting tired of changing lenses.

thanks
    Take a look at these ones. They are pretty nice, on the cheap. They come with a few sets of different color lenses, each with the transitional properties. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks mangs for all the ADvice. appreciate y'all.

mtbr member
    Thanks mangs for all the ADvice. appreciate y'all.
    mangos? why you gotta call people fruity?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    delicious, but a pain in the azz to peel

mtbr member
    L. H. Thomson on carbon seat posts:

http://www.lhthomson.com/carbon_seatpost.htm
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

banned
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Eric,
    I ordered a silver anodized Thomson post. I was going to go with some road specific pedals too, but decided to stick with mtn bike pedals so I can switch back and forth between my road shoes and my winter mtn bike shoes without having to switch cleats.

My two spare posts I'm going to give to Doug Tobin, who I work across the building from, so he can make special fits for his kids as needed (BYRDS). I alraedy gave him a set of michelin tires my road bike came with. The armadillo elites are working out much better - not flats yet and they're pretty supple.

I really liked training on the road bike - the workout is so satisfying and I need to burn as much fat as possible!

thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0