Canyon Ferry Lake Montana- Mtbr.com
    BMX:Our Shining Future

Canyon Ferry Lake Montana

This is a quick report about riding Canyon Ferry Lake and the immediate area we have taken four trips there this winter since it gets less snow than Bozeangeles. There are a large number of accesses to the lake itself some of them very prairie like on the east side and other more mountainous on the northwest side. Riding the lake itself on the ice is a trip and I highly recommend it with studs its a lot of fun fast and great views. There are trails all over the place at every access as well as gravel roads and the off road riding (can I say this?) is excellent as well as the views. Wind can become an issue on the east shoreline so windy days are a good time to head for the canyons and the northwest shore. The northwest shore is steeper rockier and has *****in trials riding not much in the way of single track and the road is real nice to ride, plenty steep. I can strongly recommend the east side highway for asphault or touring especially near the dam but on windy days its going to be tough going south. Surprise surprise there is a whole bunch of forest service accesses surrounding the lake in both the north belts and the elkhorns and they are top notch. In short there is more riding there than anyone could ever do in a lifetime I can specifically recommend the following places:

Hellgate gultch (bring your climbing gear)
    Hellgate lake access
    the northwest shoreline road and recreation areas (the lewis and clark recreation area is on the gravel road going south and north on the northwest end of the lake, you get on it pretty close to the dam, as a beach and swimming area it rocks)
    Avalanche Gulch
    Jimtown Road (asphault)
    White Earth lake access and McClelland creek road into the elkhorn mountains

Ill be going there to ride for years to come mountain trails, gravel roads, scenic asphault, trials, pretty much all of it

enjoy!

BMX:Our Shining Future

Heres Some Photos Of Canyon Ferry

i hope this works

jones'in
    No worky.

mtbr member

I love living here

Helena area has cycling soul, doesn't it?

If this is something you're into, check out www.york38special.com. I've done it the last couple years and it is permanently on the calender for me now.

Members who have read this thread: 0