BYRDS Cycling- Mtbr.com

Thread: BYRDS Cycling

blet drive

... and if we just ... BYRDS Cycling

why must they ride three wide threw the north end.. way to go coaches..If you would really like to ride 3 wide, I'm sure that you have trainers you can set up next to each other at the training center.. You guys are as bad as the George's cyclocross crew..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    You think they would ride up some street other than 13th when they get a group that big going.
    Ride & Smile

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005
    Perhaps you guys could volunteer as coaches and teach them how you want them to ride and where you think they should ride, based on your extensive history as road racers. But it is easier to just complain about racers and roadies, cause that is what mountain bikers do dude - so 1990's. You know I wish more people on this forum were more supportive of cycling in general rather then fall victim to marketing, ie, I am a XC, freerider, 29er, mountain biker, single speeder, roadie sucks. By the way anybody can buy a Georges jersey, just like the guys who buy beer logo jerseys. I also wish more people would ride to the trailhead rather then drive to camel's back and clog up the area with cars. People get pissed when vehicles speed through their neighborhood/subdivision, yet they forget that the north end is a neighborhood with more people walking and biking in the area then the suburbs, however it is treated like a major street - and no I don't live in the northend.

Sorry for the rant, but this forum has turned into a whine-fest lately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuna
    Perhaps you guys could volunteer as coaches and teach them how you want them to ride and where you think they should ride, based on your extensive history as road racers. But it is easier to just complain about racers and roadies, cause that is what mountain bikers do dude - so 1990's. You know I wish more people on this forum were more supportive of cycling in general rather then fall victim to marketing, ie, I am a XC, freerider, 29er, mountain biker, single speeder, roadie sucks. By the way anybody can buy a Georges jersey, just like the guys who buy beer logo jerseys. I also wish more people would ride to the trailhead rather then drive to camel's back and clog up the area with cars. People get pissed when vehicles speed through their neighborhood/subdivision, yet they forget that the north end is a neighborhood with more people walking and biking in the area then the suburbs, however it is treated like a major street - and no I don't live in the northend.

I am sorry you feel that way.
    I raced with the BYRDS for 3 years and every time I brought up road edict or did something about it myself I would get chewed out by some of the coaches for being unsafe. After growing up and road riding in the San Francisco bay area I have seen what happens to careless riders and those who hog the road. It aint pretty. I just don't want the wake up call for them to be run over because they are to arrogant to get out of the way. They need a serious attitude check, and so do most of the coaches.
    Ride & Smile

blet drive
    Sorry, but I'm not crying about it. Just don't want to see any one get mowed over. Just bad teaching for our bike futcher.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

The only person to bring up any riding cliques mtn vs roadie, etc is you dude. Must be a roadie thing to do such. That is so very roadie of them to be so roadie on a mtn bike forum.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quit your whining.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Don't tell me what to do, its rude.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    In the futcher, we'll all be roadies. Everything will be paved.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

King of the Barneys
    I happen to appreciate the 3 or 4-abreast roadies as I try to drive up Bogus Basin Rd to mountainbike. They keep me very safe, as I follow them at 10mph. No chance of my losing control at that speed and driving off into a canyon. Keep it up, roadies! You're performing a valuable service by making these vehicles follow you so slowly!
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If they are three wide and clearly aren't moving over, give a quick blip on the horn. Usually works for me. Probably 90% are cool, 10% are p_ricks and are probably that way no matter what they are doing.

Boise
    LOL.... need to start driving like they do in Italy.... hang 6in off their back wheel until they move out of the way. Nothing like having a metro bus working the draft!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry I am new...but does anybody know if the small trail visible as you look down to the right side of the road at the 5000' mark on bogus road on your way up is private property? There's a bunch of game trails zig zagging there but something more substantial on the ridge that looks like it might drop into the left/upper part of the dry creek drainage. I also found an old post about there used to be bathrooms at this point on the road, just wondering what the history is...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cbas
    Sorry I am new...but does anybody know if the small trail visible as you look down to the right side of the road at the 5000' mark on bogus road on your way up is private property? There's a bunch of game trails zig zagging there but something more substantial on the ridge that looks like it might drop into the left/upper part of the dry creek drainage. I also found an old post about there used to be bathrooms at this point on the road, just wondering what the history is...
    Most likely private land , since your asking I would guess it was not posted. Ridge to Rivers map of Hard Guy shows a split dropping into Dry creek. http://www.cityofboise.org/RidgeToRi...px#-1708550305. This is lower down though, at 5000 ft it looks like you are seeing ridge road.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley
    Most likely private land , since your asking I would guess it was not posted. Ridge to Rivers map of Hard Guy shows a split dropping into Dry creek. http://www.cityofboise.org/RidgeToRi...px#-1708550305. This is lower down though, at 5000 ft it looks like you are seeing ridge road.
    Technically that trail scratch is on US Forest Service land. However, because there are no parking areas and there are no trailheads (other than the Earthpig), the trail enters Grossman property (the same fine cattle barons that own the majority of the Dry Creek drainage and North Fork of Daniels Creek - i.e., "Sweet Connie"), and there are no recreation easements that enter the land from below, it is not an official trail. Like most ridges in the Boise Footsies, it has a history of 4WD use and MTB exploration, but that one is not ridden all that often. Go find out fer yerself, but you have been edified as to its disposition.

RE: the rumors of a parking lot at 5k on BB road, there was a grant approved to build one, including a glorious 2-hole s!hitter, as well as discussions of R2R building a trail segment from that location to the Sweet Connie saddle (i.e., the "hanging tree"), but those plans have been put scuttled for various reasons.

RE: the BYRDS riding 3 abreast, they're not poodle rapers, so give em a break.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

blet drive
    Poodesls no but others yes

mtbr member

idiots

Preface: I did not waste my time reading all of the posts by old, helpless hardcore extreme mountain bikers you all put so much effort into. But overall, you all are a bunch of idiots. You complain about bad trails and go to, at best, a single trail day a year. You complain about trail conflicts then buzz anyone in your way. You complain about lack of riding variety then let a few individuals pull the weight of all you tools when something is actually done.
    If you have a problem with something do something that will actually help the situation. BYRDS is an organization. Therefore they will have points of agitation along with many unsung positive contributions. You want to focus on the fact that you don't like the fact that they are spread out on the road? Consider this, no one cares about you. Second you don'yt like the fact that they use 13th? Would you like to make a ban for all bicycles on that road or just one for those under 5 feet tall who kick you butt when they regularly pass you. No would don't want any kind of ban because you are to incredibly lazy to actually do anything about anything. Go grow a pair and do something. I dont know, maybe you could be a coach so that maybe there wont be 20 kids for every adult. Then maybe it may be easier to have complete control of every kid at every second of every ride.Maybe you could set an example. Maybe you could encourage the guys who put so much effort into the future of this sport. The future which will have much to deal with thanks to your lack of action and hypocrisy.

In point, give your fingers a rest from all your complaining so you'll have a little extra energy to grow a pair and do something for once. If its possible for you to do so, and it appears it may not be, get up and shut up.
    today's youth will be the ones running the world in short time. be nice.

mtbr member
    WOW! I sure am glad you dug this 3 week old post up so you could piss and moan about others pissing and moaning. I would guess you haven't been around long, as this IS the pissing and moaning forum...... also known as the Idaho Monatana..... whatever forum

I like the way you didn't actually take the time to read any of the posts but you took the time to call everyone involved in the thread idiots.

By the way what do people need to grow a pair of? ginko trees? They look pretty good growing in pairs, and grow well in our climate. Just remember not to get a female tree near a male tree or you will be sorry!

I rode my bike on a trail once and it was fun!
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

mtbr member
    IMO...

1) 13th has a posted speed limit of 20 MPH. The Byrds riders are usually riding at 15 to 20 MPH.
    2) Because there are cars parked on either side of the street through Hyde Park and (often south of there), the only safe place to ride a bike is in the lane - or run the risk of being doored. Once you're in the lane you're blocking traffic even if you're riding in single-file.

So, who cares if they are riding 1, 2 or 3 abreast. They are preventing one lane of cars from speeding on one street.. Big deal. Cars speed and cause issues for bikes on 99% of all streets. Is it really important that cars dominate on 100% of our streets?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    As far as 13th street goes, I completely believe it should be closed to cars going through Hyde park at the very least. That section is an accident waiting to happen. I have seen more than one little kid run out off that patio at Goody's and into the street. IMO I think they should find a way to close 13th to cars from north junior high to camels butt park/hill rd. But that is a completely different topic than bike etiquette!
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Members who have read this thread: 0