Butte Rides- Mtbr.com

Thread: Butte Rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Butte Rides

I will be traveling through Butte, MT the week of 8/23 and I am looking for some local rides. It can't be on an all day epic, so I'm looking to get about 2-3 hours in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Toll Canyon and Beaver Ponds off Pipestone Pass on State Hwy 2...awesome buff singletrack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Butte trails

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCoug
    I will be traveling through Butte, MT the week of 8/23 and I am looking for some local rides. It can't be on an all day epic, so I'm looking to get about 2-3 hours in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Like MildWillie said there is a nice figure 8 as described in Montana Single Tracks book from Hwy 2. Or you could head south from there and do as much as a 24 mile out and back.

Also, from Hwy 90, you can do up to an 18 mile out and back on the Continental Divide going both North and South.

If choosing the north option park at the FS parking lot for Homestake Lake. From the parking lot just head across the road and look for a trail heading off to your right. 9 miles of mostly gradual uphill riding makes for a great return back to the parking lot.

If heading south (you could park at Homestake Lake lot also as its only 1/4 mile away) park in the gravel lot just off of the Homestake exit. You should see the green FS gate marking the trailhead pretty easily. This route is a little more cross country like in that you'll do a little more up and down in both directions. This direction is 9 miles over to Hwy 2 where you if you had xtra time could then cross the road and keep going another 3.5 miles to the Toll Canyon turn or 4 miles to Limekiln.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snack64
    Like MildWillie said there is a nice figure 8 as described in Montana Single Tracks book from Hwy 2. Or you could head south from there and do as much as a 24 mile out and back.

Also, from Hwy 90, you can do up to an 18 mile out and back on the Continental Divide going both North and South.

If choosing the north option park at the FS parking lot for Homestake Lake. From the parking lot just head across the road and look for a trail heading off to your right. 9 miles of mostly gradual uphill riding makes for a great return back to the parking lot.

If heading south (you could park at Homestake Lake lot also as its only 1/4 mile away) park in the gravel lot just off of the Homestake exit. You should see the green FS gate marking the trailhead pretty easily. This route is a little more cross country like in that you'll do a little more up and down in both directions. This direction is 9 miles over to Hwy 2 where you if you had xtra time could then cross the road and keep going another 3.5 miles to the Toll Canyon turn or 4 miles to Limekiln.
    Excellent! Thank you both. I'll probably try the figure 8 trail and see what happens next. What "single track" book are you referring to? Maybe that would help! I'll be in riding in Butte on Thursday of next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCoug
    Excellent! Thank you both. I'll probably try the figure 8 trail and see what happens next. What "single track" book are you referring to? Maybe that would help! I'll be in riding in Butte on Thursday of next week.
    http://www.beartoothpublishing.com/guidebook.php

It is a good book to give you the high points of multiple areas but like most guidebooks it does not have all the local trail options. Nice to have though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

It is a good book to give you the high points of multiple areas but like most guidebooks it does not have all the local trail options. Nice to have though.
    p.s. i'm working during the day but might be able to swing an evening ride if that were to work for your schedule.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    p.s. i'm working during the day but might be able to swing an evening ride if that were to work for your schedule.
    That would be awesome, but I'll be there around 10 or 11 am and have to get on to Sheridan by at least 2pm. Thanks for the offer though - that's what I love about folks in MT!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Thanks. Looks like it has raving reviews from most people. I just ordered it - maybe it will help. I'm also stopping in Helena and I'll be in the Missoula area for about 3 days, so it won't hurt to have this. Hopefully it gets delivered in time .

mtbr member
    We just did this ride a few days ago - http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=764122

Only did the divide/ponds section but had a great time.
    Comox Valley Mountain Biking
    www.cvmtb.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    OK, so I'm riding Beaver Ponds tomorrow as I'm passing through Butte on my way to Sheridan, WY. Not sure if I'll have time for Toll Canyon, but we'll see. I bought the Montana Single Trails book (Thank you snack64), which has been a great investment!

I rode Mt. Helena Ridge on Sunday (Excellent trail - I would definitely do that again), Rattlesnake in Missoula on Tuesday (Amazing) and Coyote Coulee Trail in Hamilton today (decent).

Thank you all for the recommendations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If you ride Beaver Pond and have enough energy to ride a portion of Toll Canyon I'd suggest you skip the downhill section and do an out and back instead.

The TC downhill was rutty earlier in the season and if you prefer 100% singletrack and out and back would be MUCH better. Just turn around when you get to the fork (the only turn, I think and it's just before the downhill section) and ride back the way you came (to your car)

Added bonus: this route avoids the road climb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider
    If you ride Beaver Pond and have enough energy to ride a portion of Toll Canyon I'd suggest you skip the downhill section and do an out and back instead.

The TC downhill was rutty earlier in the season and if you prefer 100% singletrack and out and back would be MUCH better.

Quoted for truth.

Members who have read this thread: 0