Butte Continental Divide Trail Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Butte Continental Divide Trail Question

From Homestake riding north, in 7 to 9 miles, the CDT passes Maude S. Canyon Trail heading left, down to Butte.

If I keep heading north on the CDT from that intersection, what is in store for me?

I've looked all over and found nothing about this.

Thanks!
    Whining is not a strategy.

rth009
    May 2010
    More and more of the same rad singletrack. After the Maude S Junction, you keep going up and down for a couple miles until you get to Our Lady of the Rockies statue, then you continue on more singletrack toward the Nez Perce trailhead on I-15 or you can take doubletrack to delmoe lake. Out and back from Homestake North is one of my favorite rides in MT. There is a good high point/turnaround point about 8 miles in, not long before you get to the Maude S canyon junction. It may not be cleared past Our Lady according to Trailforks.

Check this out:

https://www.trailforks.com/region/mo...&z=11&m=hybrid

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks! I've ridden the really old version of that, I think, in the 2009 Butte 100. It was a snaggly, discontinuous mess, but good and tough for racing.

A friend and I are going to do a big-ish day Friday. We'll head north from Homestake on the CDT as far as the mood strikes, then head back to Homestake, have some lunch, then repeat to the south, as far as the legs allow -- probably shoot for the summit before the switchbacks that drop down to the Beaver Ponds.

In the past, we've started up Maude S. and ridden around the CDT to Basin Creek Park, but decided this year to pass on the torture climb up Maude S. to the CDT. Argh!

If you're ever in the Hood River, Oregon area, ping me, and I'll return the favor with a guided tour of Post Canyon (6 minutes out my door).
    Whining is not a strategy.

rth009
    May 2010
    Trails are way better now than 2009. Lots of trail development since then. You can't go wrong riding CDT out of Butte

Great plan to ride to the high points on both sides of homesteaders with a lunch in between.