Bring on winter...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bring on winter...

Just the right amount of studs for local riding on the ice... As you can see, not much studs on the side knobs so leaning too far in a non-bermed turn would suck very much...
    Attached Images Attached Images

gringo-fied facsimiles
    So flip, I really gotta ask, from other threads, I am gathering that you and I dont mind riding all year round........are we riding in the same area? in all my years riding these trails, I have never heard myself saying " I wish I had studed snow tires on my bike right now", are we riding the same trails? You are the second poster in as many weeks to post somthing about studed tires.....just wondering if I am missing somthing here. I am also building a garyfisher rig for my winter bike, I dont think I can even get studded tires for the 29er. I really miss the ss.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    So flip, I really gotta ask, from other threads, I am gathering that you and I dont mind riding all year round........are we riding in the same area? in all my years riding these trails, I have never heard myself saying " I wish I had studed snow tires on my bike right now", are we riding the same trails? You are the second poster in as many weeks to post somthing about studed tires.....just wondering if I am missing somthing here. I am also building a garyfisher rig for my winter bike, I dont think I can even get studded tires for the 29er. I really miss the ss.
    Yeah, we ride the same trails. I didn't use the studded tires last winter but the winter before last, when the foothills were under thick ice for what seemed like 3 months, studs were a godsend. Also, for visits up to SV in winter, they're awesome to ride studded tires in the backroads... Having studded tires on a bike pretty much assures me that I can ride in just about any condition possible (except for mud)...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Surly - I use 'em for commuting mainly.

Once...in band camp..a guy I know and I rode Corrals. He had to hike some of the climb up to the bottom of Scott's. I didn't have to hike. I was rolling on Nokian Extreme 294 and Mount and Grounds. He was running normal rubber. We were both riding Blurs...

Studs give you just that much more bite...even in snow. 400 studs really bite hard, but the effort to roll them is like riding with the Minions Supertacky...which should not be a big deal for the 35-40+ crowd....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I didn't now that. On first look I really didn't think those studs would do much to keep the tire biting didn't believe they really work, but obviosly they do!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

Members who have read this thread: 0