Bozeman weather?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Bozeman weather?

Hey Bozeman people--

Former Bozemanite here, planning to visit in the next week or two to see family and get in some good rides. (Already postponed for a week due to smoke.) Looks like next week will be cool and maybe rainy, BUT a possible warming trend toward the end of the week.
    So ... decision time ...

I know that Bozeman weather is completely unpredictable this time of year, but am requesting predictions/advice nonetheless. Based on weather forecasts and trail closures, would you recommend next week (Sept. 16-22) or the following week (Sept. 23-29)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    you used to live here you know it's hit or miss (fall in the rockies) bring a rain coat and a soft shell, it's super dry so the moisture cant muddy anything up to quick supposed to be ****&y this weekend but could be snowing the following who knows? everything between East of hyalite creek to bear canyon is closed grrrrr.
    you can still ride langhor into cottonwood and little bear is still open goold luck and here's a NOAA wheather as of today should help make predictions.
    DISCUSSION:
    MID LEVEL WINDS CONTINUE TO INCREASE AS SOUTHWEST FLOW ALOFT
    BECOMES STRONGER. WOULD EXPECT RIDGE TOP WINDS TO CONTINUE TO BE
    STRONG THIS EVENING OVER THE WEST. POOR RECOVERIES EXPECTED
    TONIGHT WITH HUMIDITIES FALLING TO AROUND 10 PERCENT AGAIN. A
    STRONG COLD FRONT WILL PUSH INTO THE WEST THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND
    SWITCH WINDS TO THE WEST AND NORTHWEST. ALONG WITH
    THAT...ISOLATED TO SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS SHOULD
    DEVELOP ALONG AND BEHIND THE BOUNDARY. WILL CONTINUE THE RED FLAG
    WARNING WHERE IN PLACE. THE EAST WILL HAVE INCREASING EAST TO
    NORTHEAST WINDS EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON. HUMIDITIES WILL NOT BE AS
    LOW THURSDAY WITH THE LOWEST READINGS (15-20 PERCENT) IN THE
    EAST. THE COLD FRONT WILL PUSH ACROSS THE ENTIRE AREA THURSDAY
    NIGHT. COOLER AND WETTER WEATHER WILL MOVE IN FOR FRIDAY AND THE
    WEEKEND. SNOW LEVELS WILL FALL TO AROUND 4000 FEET SATURDAY NIGHT
    WITH ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY IN THE MOUNTAINS. HIGHS THURSDAY WILL
    BE 10- 15 DEGREES COOLER THAN WEDNESDAY. HIGHS FRIDAY WILL BE
    15-20 DEGREES COOLER THAN THURSDAY WITH HIGHS SATURDAY IN THE 40S
    TO LOWER 50S. HUMPHREY

MTZ123-141230-
    GALLATIN NATIONAL FOREST-
    254 PM MDT WED SEP 13 2006

...RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT MDT THURSDAY NIGHT...

.TONIGHT...
    SKY/WEATHER.........PARTLY CLOUDY.
    MIN TEMPERATURE.....42-47 AT 5000 FEET...35-45 AT 7000 FEET.
    24 HR TREND......7 DEGREES COOLER.
    MAX HUMIDITY........30-40 PERCENT AT 5000 FEET...46-56 PERCENT AT
    7000 FEET.
    24 HR TREND......UNCHANGED.
    WIND (20 FT)
    SLOPE/VALLEY.......WEST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH IN THE EVENING
    DECREASING TO 5 TO 10 MPH OVERNIGHT.
    RIDGETOP...........WEST AROUND 40 MPH.
    LAL.................1...NO THUNDERSTORMS.
    CWR.................ZERO.
    HAINES INDEX........4.

.THURSDAY...
    SKY/WEATHER.........MOSTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND
    THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.
    MAX TEMPERATURE.....64-71 AT 5000 FEET...54-64 AT 7000 FEET.
    24 HR TREND......18 DEGREES COOLER.
    MIN HUMIDITY........27-37 PERCENT AT 5000 FEET...33-43 PERCENT AT
    7000 FEET.
    24 HR TREND......25 PERCENT WETTER.
    WIND (20 FT)
    SLOPE/VALLEY.......WEST WINDS 10-20 MPH.
    RIDGETOP...........SOUTHWEST AROUND 40 MPH.
    LAL.................3...9 TO 15 STRIKES/15 MIN/CELL.
    CWR.................20 PERCENT.
    HAINES INDEX........3.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...
    SKY/WEATHER.........MOSTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED RAIN SHOWERS.
    MIN TEMPERATURE.....40-45 AT 5000 FEET...33-43 AT 7000 FEET.
    24 HR TREND......6 DEGREES COOLER.
    MAX HUMIDITY........76-86 PERCENT AT 5000 FEET...81-91 PERCENT AT
    7000 FEET.
    24 HR TREND......27 PERCENT WETTER.
    WIND (20 FT)
    SLOPE/VALLEY.......WEST WINDS 5 TO 15 MPH IN THE EVENING SHIFTING
    TO THE NORTHEAST OVERNIGHT.
    RIDGETOP...........SOUTHWEST AROUND 35 MPH.
    CWR.................30 PERCENT.
    HAINES INDEX........2.

.FRIDAY...
    SKY/WEATHER.........MOSTLY CLOUDY. NUMEROUS RAIN SHOWERS.
    MAX TEMPERATURE.....51-56 AT 5000 FEET...44-54 AT 7000 FEET.
    24 HR TREND......13 DEGREES COOLER.
    MIN HUMIDITY........52-62 PERCENT AT 5000 FEET...62-72 PERCENT AT
    7000 FEET.
    24 HR TREND......26 PERCENT WETTER.
    WIND (20 FT)
    SLOPE/VALLEY.......NORTH WINDS AROUND 5 TO 10 MPH.
    RIDGETOP...........NORTH AROUND 15 MPH.
    CWR.................40 PERCENT.
    HAINES INDEX........2.

.FORECAST DAYS 3 THROUGH 7...
    .SATURDAY...COLDER. MOSTLY CLOUDY. SNOW AND RAIN LIKELY. LOWS IN
    THE MID TO UPPER 30S. HIGHS IN THE 40S TO MID 50S. NORTH WINDS
    AROUND 5 MPH.
    .SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS AND ISOLATED RAIN
    SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S TO MID 30S. HIGHS IN THE 40S TO
    MID 50S. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH.
    .MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID TO UPPER 30S. HIGHS IN
    THE 50S TO MID 60S. SOUTH WINDS AROUND 5 MPH.
    .TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID 30S TO LOWER 40S. HIGHS
    IN THE 60S.
    .WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. ISOLATED SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE MID 30S
    TO LOWER 40S. HIGHS IN THE 60S.

jones'in
    Best bet will be Bangtail Ridge trail or some other rides in the Bridgers due to the fire closures up Hyalite. I did ride History Rock loop last night and it wasn't bad......but who knows how the weather'll be.

Salad Days
    it's cold and raining now

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the weather updates and ride suggestions. We've pushed the trip out a week ... looks like it will be warmer (though maybe still rainy). With any luck, they'll open the trails south of town by then. If not, I may be seeking more details about rides north of town ... haven't ridden there so much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    No prob have any more question feel free to ask ill share what i can.

mtbr member
    I think the trail closures have been lifted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    woohoo ... trails open and weather for next week is looking good! Anyone interested in a weekday ride? I'm "born and bred" but hardly local in terms of trail knowledge, so it'd be great to hook up with someone who rides regularly. We'll be in town Sun-Fri (arriving Sunday), and will be riding as many days as weather and legs permit.

Question: I saw an earlier thread about riding the bridger ridge trail. Is it too late in the season for that? I've been thinking 9000 ft will be too cold and possibly snowy, but with the temps in town in the upper 60s, maybe not ...

jones'in
    I haven't driven up Bridger Canyon in a week or so, but I'd bet it's plenty rideable. I've not ridden the Bridger Ridge trail, but I rode the Bangtail Ridge trail (the large ridge across the valley east from Bridger ridge) about 3 weeks ago and it was great. I might be up for a ride next week. I'm just getting back into the sport, however, so my local trail knowledge is somewhat limited currently.....but growing as quickly as my legs (and the weather) will allow. Is there a 3rd out there that might wanna show tutu and I a trail or two next week? If not, we can figure something out.....

--Ben

mtbr member
    I'll be freezing my a-- off collecting water samples up in Cooke City or else I'd go with you guys.

If you're truly thinking of the Bridger Ridge trail (and not the Bangtail Divide trail) that is a pretty serious undertaking regardless of the weather.

Salad Days
    You bringing your snowboard to Cooke Dir-T? The radar was showing a lot of yellow down there yesterday. It'd be a good time to make a rock board.

Forecast looks good, I'll be trying to get out as much as possible next week. The bridger ridge should dry up quick if it's 70 and sunny, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really looking for a 6+ hour ride/hike on some pretty severe terrain. A shorter variation (only a 3 hour climb) is to go up Sypes canyon and keep heading up to Baldy peak from the foothills junction, then following the ridge trail to the south towards the M. It will involve a lot of bike pushing. A bunch of the pics we posted from the ridge ride were from baldy. Again, it's not an easy ride by anyones standards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    John -- Thanks for the info on the shorter version of the ridge ride ... that's definitely something to consider, particularly if there's any question about the weather. (Could be tough to pass up a truly epic excursion though ... particularly if the trail is closing to bikes as reported in the original thread.)

Ben -- Would you be up for doing Bangtail again? Never done that one, and wouldn't mind seeing it. Also definitely planning to hit some trails south of town if you're interested. We did the Cottonwood Canyon (I think) loop last time we were there, and it was incredible.

We're heading out in the morning, so I'll be "offline" until we get into town on Sunday. Our schedule is pretty flexible, so if you've got a free day, just let me know.

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions.

Margaret

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by tutu1
    John -- Thanks for the info on the shorter version of the ridge ride ... that's definitely something to consider, particularly if there's any question about the weather. (Could be tough to pass up a truly epic excursion though ... particularly if the trail is closing to bikes as reported in the original thread.)
    Margaret
    As far as I know it's not actually a system trail until you hit the official "M" trail in the last mile. I think the M trail is all that is getting closed to bikes. Greg would know more about this. . .

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by tutu1
    Ben -- Would you be up for doing Bangtail again? Never done that one, and wouldn't mind seeing it. Also definitely planning to hit some trails south of town if you're interested. We did the Cottonwood Canyon (I think) loop last time we were there, and it was incredible.
    I'd be up for that. It'd have to be a late afternoon/evening ride though. I have to work all next week, but can take off in the late afternoon if need be. Bangtail ridge took me about 2 1/2 hours last time from the bottom of Olson Creek (parked on Bridger Canyon Road), so we'd need to start riding at 4:30-ish to get back to the vehicles before dark. I work during the week, so you'll have to let me know which day you wanna go and I'll head out a bit early that day.

--Ben

MontanaMtns
    Sep 2006
    Hey Everyone. If anyone interested I am driving to Red Lodge and will stop in Bozeman on the way to ride the Bangtail Divide. I probably will do the short route which would be the olsen over grassy down brackett. I will leave Helena at 10 am and should be there at 12:30 or 1:00 or so on 9/25. If anyone interested meet me there. At this point riding it alone. Hope it is dry enough up there.

Anybody got an suggestions for redlodge?

MontanaMtns
    Sep 2006

BangTail Conditions

Anybody know the trail conditions of the Bangtail divide? Also, I would say I am a steady and strong rider. Any ideas on how long it would take me to ride from Stone to brackett back on the highway (no shuttle) to Stone.

If anybody has any ideas on Red Lodge send them my way. I brought both road and mtn bike with me.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    I'd be up for that. It'd have to be a late afternoon/evening ride though. I have to work all next week, but can take off in the late afternoon if need be. Bangtail ridge took me about 2 1/2 hours last time from the bottom of Olson Creek (parked on Bridger Canyon Road), so we'd need to start riding at 4:30-ish to get back to the vehicles before dark. I work during the week, so you'll have to let me know which day you wanna go and I'll head out a bit early that day.

--Ben
    Rats ... due to family obligations, we can't really do late afternoon riding (commitments for dinners/visiting, etc) ... gotta be back by 5ish. I wasn't so clear in my previous post ... I guess I was thinking "hey, I'm on vacation, everyone can take week days off Thanks for trying to fit it in though ... I'll have to plan ahead better next time so we can actually take advantage of the local knowledge.

m

Members who have read this thread: 0