Bozeman trails time-share- Mtbr.com
    jones'in

Bozeman trails time-share

Hey Bozemanites, I just saw a post over at the Bozeman Trail Report Blog that lists the trail time-share obligations. Breaks down like this:

* Middle Cottonwood #586
    * Bridger Foothills south to the M#534
    ...will be closed to bikes on Sundays until September 5th.

* Sypes Canyon #531
    * M #534
    ...will be closed to bikes on Saturdays until September 5th.

Thought you all would be interested. I'm actually optimistic that this'll help 'relations' between bikers and everyone else. I don't think I've ever ridden any of the listed trails on the weekend any way, I usually do longer rides on the weekends and save these trails for evening rides during the week.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Good to know. I thought there were gonna be more limits on days, but oh well.

Who rides Sypes on a Saturday anyway?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    We will get a schedule matrix out in the bike shops sometime this week. (too much to do) There will be more trail shares up Hyalite but those start July 16. They will be two days per week.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

Jan 2008
    I'll try my best to follow the rules, but if I happen to hit a trail while it's under "time share", what will happen?

A lot of my rides start from town and go all over the place, so I may hit a trail after riding in the scrub for 5 miles and not see a sign. How is this going to work? I'm sure 95% of the riders around Bozeman don't visit this website and won't know about time sharing.

Some of us just want to ride our bikes, damnit.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you hit a trail under timeshare they take your bike and put you
    in the town square so the hikers can throw rotten tomatoes at you.
    But only for like an hour so it's totally worth it.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by d00d
    ...put you in the town square so the hikers can throw rotten tomatoes at you.
    ZOMG!!.....salmonillla!!!!
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    I'll try my best to follow the rules, but if I happen to hit a trail while it's under "time share", what will happen?

Some of us just want to ride our bikes, damnit.
    My guess is that if you ride it and get caught or seen by a hiker, you will add to the negative image some have of MTB riders and subsequently make it harder for those of us who live here permanantly to "just ride our bikes".

I imagine the USFS will post signs at all trailheads and will have some "break-in" period while everyone becomes aware of the closures.

Jan 2008
    But if you didn't visit this forum, how would one know about the timesharing? How will the hikers know about timesharing?

I think it's on OK idea, but I'll be damned if they timeshare a trail without me knowing, then I get the stink eye from the ONE person that knew.

mtbr member
    But if you didn't visit this forum, how would one know about the timesharing? How will the hikers know about timesharing?

I think it's on OK idea, but I'll be damned if they timeshare a trail without me knowing, then I get the stink eye from the ONE person that knew.
    There is a poster at the trailhead of Sypes, they will probably do the same for the other trails.

Jan 2008
    I don't think I've ever looked at the boards at trailheads. Maybe I'm the odd man out that just rides and doesn't stop to smell the flowers (or read posters at trailheads).

mtbr member
    I don't think I've ever looked at the boards at trailheads. Maybe I'm the odd man out that just rides and doesn't stop to smell the flowers (or read posters at trailheads).
    So you're going to go with the "blissfully ignorant" defense?

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    So are hikers only alowed on the days bikers aren't?

When I first heard of this time share thing, thats how I envisioned it. Certain days for certain things, not just one day of no bikes.

Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    So you're going to go with the "blissfully ignorant" defense?
    If that's what you want to call it... Just because YOU might stop and read every thing while on your bike, that doesn't mean I have to. I'm willing to bet over half of the cyclists on the trails don't read the trailhead jargon.

jones'in
    If that's what you want to call it... Just because YOU might stop and read every thing while on your bike, that doesn't mean I have to. I'm willing to bet over half of the cyclists on the trails don't read the trailhead jargon.
    Whether or not they actually read it, their obligation to do so, as a responsible trail user, is still there.

And Mikey....I'm with you. I didn't think it was a ban on bikes, rather a swap. Either way, I'm still optimistic that it'll improve 'relations'.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMT
    So are hikers only allowed on the days bikers aren't?

When I first heard of this time share thing, thats how I envisioned it. Certain days for certain things, not just one day of no bikes.
    Not really a time SHARE is it? I've used Sypes as access to Baldy several times on Saturday. I know the bikers that actually went to the time share meetings (not me) did there best though.

There's a sign up at middle cottonwood now too. Ignorantia juris non excusat

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    I'm not doubting that the guys went to the meetings tried their best. Just sad that public land is being regulated like this, with an emphasis on discriminating against bikers.

Salad Days
    we are such victims

Diz
    squatchin'
    Aug 2007
    Does anyone know what months this goes back in effect?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I believe it is June 15 for Sypes, the M trail, and Middle Cottonwood. July 15 for Hyalite and Emerald trails.

mtbr member
    Hey Greg,

Do you know which days Emerald will be closed on? I think it was closed on Saturdays last year which put a damper on our plans to ride up after work on Friday, camp, and return on Saturday.

BMX:Our Shining Future

which days do they kick out the hikers?

I don't see it anywhere on the schedule
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    dir-t,

It was closed on Sunday and Monday last year. I think that is the continued schedule. Hyalite creek trail is closed Friday and Saturday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    dir-t,

It was closed on Sunday and Monday last year. I think that is the continued schedule. Hyalite creek trail is closed Friday and Saturday.
    Ahhh, I guess the "leaving after work on Friday" plan was what we figured we would need to do after reading the sign last year. Thanks.

gravity curmudgeon
    FWIW, here is the "official" seasonal closure language (PDF LINK):

A. Possessing or using any bicycle on Saturdays between June 16 and September 4 (see Exhibit A).
    The Bridger Foothills Trail #534 from the Trailhead at the M parking lot in Section 34, T. 1S., R. 6E., northerly to its junction with the Sypes Canyon Trail #531 in the northwest quarter of Section 22. T.1S., R.6E. And the Sypes Canyon Trail from the Trailhead in Section 16, T.1S. R. 6E easterly to the junction with the Bridger Foothills Trail in the northwest quarter of Section 22, T.1S., R.6E.

B. Possessing or using any bicycle on Sundays and Mondays between July 16 and September 4 (see exhibit B).
    The East Fork of Hyalite Trail #434 from the trailhead in Section 25, T.4S., R. 6E. southerly to the trail terminus near Heather Lake.

C. Possessing or using any bicycle on Fridays and Saturdays between July 16 and September 4 (see exhibit B).
    1. The Hyalite Trail # 427 from the Grotto Falls Trailhead in Section 34, T.4S., R.6E. southerly to the junction with the Storm Castle Trail #185 in Section 23, T.5S., R.6E.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    FWIW, here is the "official" seasonal closure language (PDF LINK):
    It doesn't say anything about Middle Cottonwood, has the shared access been lifted?

and wow, didn't know this...

Penalty: Violations of these Prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both. [16 U.S.C. 551, and 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571]

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Damn, someone got all organized like to dream that stuff up. Roll on up to Msla where all the user groups are so scattered, it's a freeking free for all all the time. Works great.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Damn, someone got all organized like to dream that stuff up. Roll on up to Msla where all the user groups are so scattered, it's a freeking free for all all the time. Works great.

-Schmitty-

Don't worry, I'm sure the USFS will start "creating" user conflict on your trails soon too. I'm still convinced that the FS created our conflict (unless I've missed something?). I do notice when I ride in Helena or Msla. people on the trails are over the top friendly compared to Bozangeles. Don't know why this is.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by qgidley
    I do notice when I ride in Helena or Msla. people on the trails are over the top friendly compared to Bozangeles. Don't know why this is.
    Honestly, I haven't seen much conflict in the Bozeman area either. Ran across a douche-baggy horse-rider last summer up Brackett Creek, but he was the exception....jerks are jerks no matter their mode of transport....and this guy just seemed like a jerk.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

mtbr member
    I was just wondering if anyone knew what days I could take my F350 dually and ten horse trailer and block the trailhead. I like taking my nine horse team for day rides on saturdays.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy
    I was just wondering if anyone knew what days I could take my F350 dually and ten horse trailer and block the trailhead. I like taking my nine horse team for day rides on saturdays.
    Unfortunately, you'll only be able to do that on:
    Sun
    Mon
    Tues
    Wed
    Thurs
    Fri
    Sat

Sorry about that.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

Diz
    squatchin'
    Aug 2007
    in september, they will also kill any elk you may be after

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy
    You are one horse short of a full trailer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Last year I got to Hyalite creek, geared up and saw the posted trail time share sign. It actually didn't say which days I could and couldn't ride it, it just said I couldn't ride it on some days. So, I said **** this and rode it anyway. I stopped in Bangtail Cycles afterwards to buy a map and found out I rode it on a closed day.

Members who have read this thread: 0