Bozeman riding recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bozeman riding recommendations

Montana riders. I'm in Bozeman on Monday with an entire day off. I've set up a bike rental at one of the shops in town and was looking for a suggestion for a ride. My original plan was to do a big Bangtail divide loop from town which I figure would put me right about 55 miles and 4-5k on the climbing.

For a day of riding is this the best option (I'm a XC guy) or should I do two separate rides with a lunch break in town between them? I've never ridden Montana, so I'm basically just looking at the trails I see on the trail forks website.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So no car?

Another option from town would be some combination of Sourdough Creek/Leverich or riding up Hyalite and doing a big day looping Lick/Mystic/Moser and/or out and back on Emerald Lake.

I haven't heard if its been cleared yet, but in my opinion the best (longest/scenic) EPIC ride close to town is to Blackmore to Cottonwood (up in Hyalite.)

You could ride that from town and your elevation gain would be higher singletrack better and mileage shorter (I think...)

When doing that ride, I usually shuttle a car or park at the TH and climb back to the car via Hyalite. But I've also driven to TH and ridden back to town (all downhill) and returned for the car later.

The climb up Blackmore is mostly hike-a-bike (for me) but the 8+ mile decent into Cottonwood is worth it. It's a bit more technical/out there than Bangtail Divide...

mtbr member
    Yea, no car if I can help it. I'd like to just pedal to the trail and get the miles in.

I'll take a look at those suggestions you gave. Thanks for taking the time!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd go with what "Montana Rider" said. Are you with an airline? I have BZN layovers this month and have found that, if you get in late, you can get a good deal on pick up trucks at the airport. I then drag my F/O up to ride up to Hyalite Lake (not a long ride, but I'd rate it as almost a must ride due to its technical aspect...it's closed to bikers Friday and Saturday though).

Here's the Timeshare schedule:
    https://www.facebook.com/MontanaMoun...type=3&theater

MR, could you give more details on the Blackmore/Cottonwood route?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    could you give more details on the Blackmore/Cottonwood route?
    You can ride it a few different ways:

1) Loop via Hyalite Road, where you either park at bottom of Hyalite (or the TH for Blackmore which is just before the bridge) and ride up Blackmore to the saddle. I don't usually ride to the summit, but I've seen more ambititious bikers do so. The trail drops down into the Cottonwood drainage from the saddle and has a few un-ridable (to me) switchbacks before it drops into Cottonwood. From there it's a 9 (?) mile downhill and you can ride back to your car at turnoff for Hyalite (or if you parked at the TH, you would ride all the way back up Hyalite.

2) Loop via History Rock trail. Basically instead of riding the Hyalite Canyon Road back to Blackmore TH, you can take singletrack. So you get 90% the killer downhill and skip the majority of the road miles. The later half of loop 2 is basically a reverse of this ride:

Hyalite to South Cottonwood Trail Bozeman Montana

2b)

While the climb up Blackmore is Hike-a-bike for me, the downhill is almost 100% ridable (after the Backcountry horsemen clear the yearly avalanche debris in the upper basin) and the upper section is really buff compared to the History Rock and below portions which I think are a bit rooty/muddy.

There's a few creek crossings, but once you drop into Cottonwood, the trail is pretty straight-forward/well marked.

3) I haven't done it yet, but you can also take Wheeler up to the top of Cottonwood drainage --

The trail that time forgot | Environment | bozemandailychronicle.com

This 'map' gives the general sense of the trails...

Bozeman riding recommendations-wheeler.jpg

mtbr member
    I didn't end up having time to plan out the other rides so I went with my original plan of the Bangtail Divide. I rented an Ibis Ripley and just rode from town. About 14 miles to the trail head, which made it a 56 mile ride with right at 5k of total climbing. I thought the ride was spectacular. I tend to prefer fast and flows with huge climbs over technical. However the next time I'm in town I'll try to explore the other options. I am with an airline and our long layovers get in late so I will check out the pickup option next time. Is that through one of the airport rental car booths?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy View Post
    I didn't end up having time to plan out the other rides so I went with my original plan of the Bangtail Divide. I rented an Ibis Ripley and just rode from town. About 14 miles to the trail head, which made it a 56 mile ride with right at 5k of total climbing. I thought the ride was spectacular. I tend to prefer fast and flows with huge climbs over technical. However the next time I'm in town I'll try to explore the other options. I am with an airline and our long layovers get in late so I will check out the pickup option next time. Is that through one of the airport rental car booths?
    1. Montana Rider, thanks for the info
    2. Flyboy, yeah, I just go to the counter and see who can give me the best deal. In the fall, I've gotten the pick up for as low as $28, but lately, it's been running around $60. The insurance is extra, of course. That's getting in at midnight. I'm guessing you got the Ripley at Owenhouse?

mtbr member
    Yep, Owenhouse. I thought it was a nice shop with a pretty good rental fleet. Thanks for the tips on the truck. I'll look into that sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk