Bozeman Fat Biking? Where do you like to go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bozeman Fat Biking? Where do you like to go?

So where do all the Bozeman people ride Fat bikes? Was riding sourdough but itís done for the season and moved on to south cottonwood but looks like after 11/30 no bikes allowed. Would like to find some trails that arenít a big drive. Maybe runnable for my wife too. Kinda sucks that BSF and the Forest Circus are so anti Fat here. Letís here where you ride? Thanks!
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

Ambassador of Chub
    Unfortunately, the crickets you're hearing on this are probably telling. I have a good friend in Bozeman, and we were recently on a trip together and I was talking about all the winter singletrack we have available in Teton Valley these days, and he said, "wow - we don't have any of that in Bozeman." Which really surprised me, but hopefully that will change for the better...
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bozeman has been decades behind for the 15 years I have lived here. The FS travel plan doesnít include fat bikes it seems. South cottonwood would be a great close to town ride but it shuts down on 11/30 till spring?! People have not been going to far back so if anything itís nice to have the fat bikers break Trail. I will keep looking and hope things change
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've been involved in this advocacy, and frankly we could use a bigger voice, more participants. We're doing this work through SWMMBA. Lately the FS hasn't responded to phone calls or emails. They are understaffed and underfunded. We are going to try to maintain a packed route in northern Moser this year, depending on snowfall and however many people we have to keep in packed down. The Travel Plan has been fatbikings worst adversary, and the Bozeman Ranger District hasn't the motivation to make things better, so it's up to us (SWMMBA) to do what we can within the Travel Plan rules. Meanwhile if it snows a lot, most of us will be skiing. During dry spells I hope fatbiking thrives. During freezing weather the new Copper City Green Eagle loop is fat friendly and it wouldn't take much traffic to have a fine packed track out there. When it's warm don't go to Copper City because the dirt is greasy clay.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There's one more weekend for the easy access in Hyalite, and I recommend riding around the reservoir.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

rth009
    May 2010
    Not Bozeman, but I was in Butte a few weeks ago and rode the groomed trails in Thompson Park. Good stuff.