Boise's First (known) Pump Track- Mtbr.com
    just a man

Boise's First (known) Pump Track

Thanks to DelTaco, lv2ride, Crash_Burn, Taylor, Rob, David, my kids and wife for your help so far on this. Prepare for a buttkicking workout.

aaarrrggghh!
    Craig,

I hope your will excuse my absence on your backyard pump track. I (and others) were busy building this for everyone to enjoy soon http://www.spudhucksters.com/NewBogusTrail.html. Looks great, hope to be invited to ride it sometime.

Ian

just a man

Whoa!

Ian: No worries, but man I would have loved to join you on that build! Are you going to send out notices to folks about helping out up there? Did I miss a post/invite? We'll be working on it tomorrow if you (and anyone else) would like to come over and ride it.

Right now the track can be ridden pretty well counter-clockwise. Clockwise is a little more challenging and one berm needs some work. We'll also be creating a transition to change directions and leveraging the boulder somehow into the plan....

Post more pics, that stuff looks sick~

aaarrrggghh!

No Worries

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Ian: No worries, but man I would have loved to join you on that build! Are you going to send out notices to folks about helping out up there? Did I miss a post/invite? We'll be working on it tomorrow if you (and anyone else) would like to come over and ride it.

Right now the track can be ridden pretty well counter-clockwise. Clockwise is a little more challenging and one berm needs some work. We'll also be creating a transition to change directions and leveraging the boulder somehow into the plan....

Post more pics, that stuff looks sick~
    We wanted to see how we were going to lay this thing out and how to implement people's help before we got an official work day. We'll be working on it next Saturday the 9th if you or anyone else is interested. I'll post more pics as soon as we get some action shots. I was too pooped to ride it after we spent the day constructing it. Thanks for the invite for tomorrow but I've got some more plans with the wife to do some river running. We'll get together soon for beers and bikes in your backyard, I'll bring beer, I promise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice looking stuff Ian... count me in to help build.

Craig, that pump track is sick. Must be nice to be able to hit that in your own backyard.

aaarrrggghh!

Help is appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114
    Nice looking stuff Ian... count me in to help build.

Craig, that pump track is sick. Must be nice to be able to hit that in your own backyard.
    I was planning to head out of town this weekend for Post Canyon but I think I'd rather stick around here investing my time and money to build our own. This stuff is sooooo much fun to build.

Ian

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    By the way, I got a new camera... I would be happy to come up and help build and take some shots of the build. I am looking for opportunities to get some practice with the new toy

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    We'll be working on it next Saturday the 9th if you or anyone else is interested. I'll post more pics as soon as we get some action shots. We'll get together soon for beers and bikes in your backyard, I'll bring beer, I promise.
    Very cool. Definitely bring them beers and we'll have a nice pump session. I'd like to help out up there on the 9th, I'll double check to make sure that's all good.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi Ian, thank you for your hard work in building what you posted on your site. I had no idea work had started. You said "for everyone to enjoy"? That looks pretty dang advanced to me. Enjoy

aaarrrggghh!

Don't worry..

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Hi Ian, thank you for your hard work in building what you posted on your site. I had no idea work had started. You said "for everyone to enjoy"? That looks pretty dang advanced to me. Enjoy
    When everybody comes out to help we will incorporate lines that most should find enjoyable. The pic shows two stumps next to the step up, that will for instance be a low to the ground skinny option for those who don't want to do the step up. I want people to enjoy the trails but I also want everyone to know this is freeride, plain and simple. The Shafer Butte Trail Map will show this as a freeride park and I intend it to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    When everybody comes out to help we will incorporate lines that most should find enjoyable. The pic shows two stumps next to the step up, that will for instance be a low to the ground skinny option for those who don't want to do the step up. I want people to enjoy the trails but I also want everyone to know this is freeride, plain and simple. The Shafer Butte Trail Map will show this as a freeride park and I intend it to be.
    oh my sweet jesus, that's exactly the feature I've been wanting to see for ages... Also, you should try to build a wallride similar to the lower super g one at tamarack.

Also, get this...
    When I came home from Bombin4x's house, and was totally psyched on the idea of the pump track, my dad decided that he's going to let me build one of my own. He gave me an area of almost 6000 square feet, and said he will rent any neccesary machinery and will import as much dirt as neccesary. I'll keep you guys posted on any and all progress

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cool deal!

mtbr member

newest addiction

building and playing on the pump track is fun and a good workout too. I was thinking about building a skills type course and now encorperating a pump track

oh my the dreams (obsessions) we guys can have
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Okay now you're sounding like a psychologist!!!!
    I've been home studying. Also still having the sleep problems. my newest tolerance is to Halcion (sleep aid, the strongest). fun stuff!

mtbr member

hmmmm

what else shouldi sound like???
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member
    May 2004
    nada, wuz jus kidding

aaarrrggghh!

Maybe.....

Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    oh my sweet jesus, that's exactly the feature I've been wanting to see for ages... Also, you should try to build a wallride similar to the lower super g one at tamarack.
    I don't want this trail like Super G. Haven't you noticed all the ruts. I want this trail to be erosion free, rut free, and most of all sustainable. In fact, I'd like to make this trail as DH practice unfriendly as possible. Typically, DH'ers don't have enough respect for the trail to avoid skidding ruts. Not all DH'ers but mostly those who feel its ok to practice different types of braking and skidding techniques on public trails. I'd like to have a trail for the DH folks up there that allows them to specifically practice their craft. This particular trail is going to be slower speed due to the technical, ie:skinnies, nature of it. The part I posted in the pic is probably the fastest part of the trail.

just a man
    Cbro stopped by to bring his shovel skills,took a few roundtrips, and supplied libations, officially making it to the brass nameplate status for the pump track effort. lv2ride also stopped by to supervise and sign off on the work done today. Worked on the transition portion tonight (not shown) - should add an element of difficulty to the course. 3 trips around is about all I can do right now.

Way cool to DelTaco and lv2ride - I hope you go for those builds. I'd help out too.

mtbr member

transition

how far did you two get on the transition?

It's a good thing you are so close to the office. I get a break and then break into your yard!!!

just a man
    As soon as you left I got all the arcs painted out and the foundations of the berms laid. With a few more hours of dirt moving and shaping, the track should be almost completed. I am going to make an alternate line as suggested by Bret to run a section right outside the right-hand rollers into a nice kicker that will launch you into the top right-hand berm. Should make it more interesting. Also trying to figure out how to incorporate the boulder into the flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Okay now you're sounding like a psychologist!!!!
    I've been home studying. Also still having the sleep problems. my newest tolerance is to Halcion (sleep aid, the strongest). fun stuff!
    dude, forget drugs to help you sleep. try riding in the evening, follow with a steak dinner, mashed potatoes and a beer or two.

mtbr member

my measurements

We have a sand volleyball court that never gets used. I did some measuring and figured that I have 68' x 37' to play with. Any ideas about what I should do with this space???

Jan 2005
    Hot damn it turned out awesome! I wish I could have helped more. Maybe when you start the inside lines I can make it out, but now I've got my own retarded project in the works, so I can't make any guarentees...

Before I get started on my own pump track, I'd sorta like to see exacly what I like and dislike about yours when on a bike. If at all possible, is there any time in the next few days that I could just do a few laps around it?

Also, do you think that maybe you could take a look and advise me on what to do sometime in the near future? I know you're only a few minutes away, so I was hoping maybe someday after work you could drop by and give me a few minutes pointers...

I hope to take delivery on a load of dirt on Friday, and should be busting my ass by Saturday around noon, so I'll keep everyone posted on how my personal cycle park is going.

Trevor

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lv2ride
    We have a sand volleyball court that never gets used. I did some measuring and figured that I have 68' x 37' to play with. Any ideas about what I should do with this space???
    Build a 40 foot tall wooden run in ramp and use that area to make the worlds biggest foam pit.

mtbr member
    May 2004

hehe

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    dude, forget drugs to help you sleep. try riding in the evening, follow with a steak dinner, mashed potatoes and a beer or two.
    Should I say this? hmmmmmmmmm how bout taht and good ol SEX!!!!!

Sep 2006
    i'm thinking just rip out the grass and go artifical turf all the way, save on the gas in the lawn mower. make the course moveable. trade the lawnmower for a small kubota. looks good cp!

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by pstar
    i'm thinking just rip out the grass and go artifical turf all the way, save on the gas in the lawn mower. make the course moveable. trade the lawnmower for a small kubota. looks good cp!
    I can't believe my eyes - MJM lives! Glad to see you on here - did GB tell you I've been polluting this board with my pumptrack nonsense?

You've got approximately 1 week to come get this In-n-Out t-shirt or else I am claiming it!

Sep 2006
    i almost put as my tag "long time lurker, first time poster" or even better, "i missed the abuse" !! i've been checking out your pix, that yard looks sick, mister! i may have to take a spin around it sometime soon (maybe when i pick up the shirt!) i promise i won't bring out the bmw f650 and make dirt roosts on it, just the mtn bike..doh!

just a man
    Sounds good my man...

Worked on the tranny/crossover section (middle) tonight. I can officially say I am as tired of digging as you all are tired of hearing about this project. I've also got the beginning of the 12' rollers with launch pad started. Did I mention I am getting tired of digging? Swede and Trevor you may be in trouble, I may not get anywhere near a shovel for a few months after this is done.

I was able to pump it one way and then reverse it 4x each way tonight so my fitness must be improving. Whew!

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Sounds good my man...

Worked on the tranny/crossover section (middle) tonight. I can officially say I am as tired of digging as you all are tired of hearing about this project. I've also got the beginning of the 12' rollers with launch pad started. Did I mention I am getting tired of digging? Swede and Trevor you may be in trouble, I may not get anywhere near a shovel for a few months after this is done.

I was able to pump it one way and then reverse it 4x each way tonight so my fitness must be improving. Whew!
    Luckily, I've got a bunch of friends that I can get to help me out with the crappy work...

Today Russell and I got about 50 feet de-grassed and then we realized there's a machine we can rent that would have done the whole thing in a few hours...

We'll be working on it just about all day Saturday. I think my dirt should be there sometime in the morning, so I plan on doing work at around noon. I think I've got plenty of help, so this isn't a desperate cry for help...

As soon as I get some pictures (and progress), I'll start my own thread so I don't have to hijack someone elses...

Well I'll keep everyone posted on the progress and maybe even the lack thereof...

Trevor

Members who have read this thread: 0