Boise - What is it going to take?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Boise - What is it going to take?

What is it going to take to motivate the people on this board to actually show up and give back to the trail system that has provided them so much happiness and satisfaction? Once again we post a trail day and it is the same old individuals committing to show up and build. Should we even post on this board?

The season started with a bang with the freeriders stepping up to the plate out at the velopark.This spring progressed with some new faces and a couple of old faces to clear the Eastside trails. The Boise Young Riders Develop team showed up in force and help clear Sinker Creek and Mr. Big. That is the only team that has shown up and there has been no bike shop that has shown up. We have had an individual that works at a shop show up but not a day you could call represented by a shop.

Since that time we have seen a group of woman in there 50s put in some solid work. There was a group of men in there 50s and 60s that not only put in a solid evening of work, they were looking for routes to incorporate some rock obstacles. There have been people from the Idaho Outdoor page and hikers show up.

We have seen one or two faces from the Idaho MTBR Board but that is about it. This post is a plea to help us figure out what motivates you supposedly the real mountain bikers in Boise and what will get you out to do some trail work.

What will motivate you?

What time of year do you want to work?

Is there an area you would prefer to work?

Is there a better way to post work days?

Any suggestions?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

don't take the bait, don't take the bait, don't take the bait....

Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    Should we even post on this board?
    No.

This forum is best utilized (and should only be utilized) as a method to discuss the following Boise-related topics:

Spackle.

Cats. (Aka "kitties" for those with two X chromosomes and those "non-traditional" men.)

What cool foothills trails JK5 rode yesterday. (I swear to God he and 98 have to be related. Sorry Bombin' for swearing to God. No offense, pal.)

God. (Sorry again.)

Masturbation (big shout out to Twisted for his latest post about thwacking the ol' bishop.)

Why one should not move to Boise.

Why one should move to Boise.

Biking related boo boos.

Beer.

Urination.

Grits.

The dusty, sandy, water-barred, too easy, too rocky, muddy, snowy, icy, crowded, hot, coyote poo-slickened [insert complaint here] trails.

Annoying lycra-wearing XC pack riders.

Annoying baggy-wearing freeriders.

Barney.

Fred.

Wilma.

TFloyd's stylin' hairdo. (RIP)

Manpris.

Politics.

Funbags.

Flamers.

Trolls.

Tofu.

Twisted's lunch.

Who has gone on what trip and/or ridden what trail when the rest of us are at work, home with kids, or tending to more important obligations.

The wisdom and many travels (CA - ID - CA - ID - CA - ID.....) of the Darylama.

And, of course, Brandi. Gotta have my Brandi.

(Sorry Mike, couldn't resist. Remember to take this forum for what it is worth. Don't you know better by now?)
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-12-2008 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I have no idea what percentage of people volunteer, nor how often they do so. However, keep in mind that there are more ways of volunteering and "giving back" than just trail work.

I personally haven't participated in trail work this year (although I have in the past). However in the past month I've volunteerd three days to help put on bike races (one road and one mountain). Terry volunteered to man the SWIMBA booth at Bogus. Several people on this board are Foothills Rangers. And I'm sure that many others have donated their time to helping the sport in ways that we don't know about.

So yes, people do need to show up for trail building days. However, be aware that there are many ways to volunteer, and lots of people are likely doing lots of different things to improve the cycling opportunities in the area. Hopefully everyone is giving back in some way - helping repair their neighbor's bike, advocacy, teaching Sprockids classes, trail building, etc. There are lots of ways to get involved in the cycling community.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Rocks Rock
    We all agree there are lots of people that do a lot for cycling. How ever many there is doing something, there are twice that many not doing squat. The rest need to get off there a$$es and do something. If it wasn't for four or five people there would be no trail work getting done.
    Am I being kind?

Fly fat ass fly !
    I need there to be workdays in the week . I work on weekends . I think futures / Hits along the trails will get people stoked up. Then want to give their input on whats going in
    .I not talking about bringing in wood and building drops and skinnies, just having log rides and rollers off boulders and fun stuff . No one wants to be bench cutting a trail for 8 hours that has nothing on it but a 5 min. downhill with a hour and a half climb .Thats just my way of thinking about it .
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    No.

This forum is best utlized (and should only be utilized) as a method to discuss the following Boise-related topics:

Masturbation (big shout out to Twisted for his latest post about thwacking the ol' bishop.)
    Now I am starting to understand. The Boise riders are concerned about getting calluses which would disturb there other full time passion. No wonder those people out riding around 5:00 look so drained.

If I promise to have hand lotion before and after work sessions would that help?

My baloney has a first name!

Thanks for the laugh.

Have to run the Bishop is calling.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Buddha: Is trail work is contrary to wei wu wei?

As Lao Tzu said, "Practice not-doing, and everything will fall into place."

Discuss.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I like this quote and think it represents what the core team of trail builders feel, "If we can't push for Paradise, we're settling for Hell." Last year we were able to crank out roughly 4-miles with the help of R2 and an outstanding REI trail day. This year has been even slower. The small crew of Ridges to Rivers is going to put in more miles of trial than all the combined efforts of the SWIMBA trail crew and all the volunteers. That's just wrong! The volunteers should be building at least 5-miles a year and out pacing R2.

And I totally agree there is more to supporting the biking community than building trails. I think you will find most of the trail builders are also writing grants, promoting biking with youth, commenting on environmental assesments, teaching bike maintenace etc. But that doesn't resolve the issue of building and maintaining. It's like the law of deminishing returns - you can't feed the world out of a flower pot. With the static number of volunteers, there will come a point in the near future where we only have enough time to maintain trails and not enough to expand the system. At the current pace of breeding and influx of newbies, the trails in the lower footies are already crowded. We need to build!

So far we have giving out hand lotion and moving work days to weekdays. Any other suggestions.

Mike e.

Barneys Unite!

Sorry, EP. . .

In a fit of bi-annual frustration and straightness, I cut most of my hair off. I'm so normal looking right now it's digusting. What was I thinking?

I have, however, taken to wearing manpris . . .

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TFloyd
    I have, however, taken to wearing manpris . . .
    Do you wear them on your fixie?

You fixie fashionista!

The fixie - the ultimate fashion accessory for today's urban hipster.

Have manpri-wearing fixie-riding hipster boobs become a parody of themselves? The ultimate cycling cliche?

Discuss.

I bet those bastards wouldn't know trail work if it bit them in their manpris.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Beer. Free beer! 24oz Bull Ice Talls will get EP on the ass-end of a pulaski....I am sure of it!

illiterate or intoxicated

Two Words

Two words: "Free Beer". Lots of it.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Buddha: Is trail work is contrary to wei wu wei?

As Lao Tzu said, "Practice not-doing, and everything will fall into place."

Discuss.
    "In cultivating wu-wei(doesn't this sound like something that comes in a cream for enhancement purposes), timing becomes an important aspect of our behavior. We learn to perceive processes in their earliest stages and thus are able to take timely action. "Deal with the small before it becomes large," is a well-known dictum from Lao Tzu.

And it is now that I move with "purposeful wandering" toward the great white throne.

I can see this discussion needs to take place near a large fire, with copious beers and Selway Sal to back us up. I sure hope they have been taking care of her!

Ok, so far we have hand lotion, during the week with 24oz beers. If it keeps going at this pace I can see reading about it in the Penthouse Forum.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2cruiser72
    24oz Bull Ice Talls will get EP on the ass-end of a pulaski....I am sure of it!
    Bull Ice VSL! 8.5%!

I have a pulaski and am not afraid to use it. Especially on you manpri wearing, fixie riding freaks.

Isn't "manpri wearing, fixie riding freaks" redundant?

Bastards wouldn't know the business end of a pulaski unless they was a-settin' on it.

Do you think fixie riding, man-pri wearing freaks use that hand lotion on the business end of a pulaski?

Barneys Unite!

Sometimes . . .

my wu-wei hurts, but I've been told that's because I touch it too much.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    The Buddha juxstaposed with an angry kitty.

Discuss.

Mrow!

blet drive
    have to bring the kido but it could work in the back pack maybe
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by windhoar
    Two words: "Free Beer". Lots of it.
    Beer and pizza was provided after the last work day courtesy of some nice benefactors and me. Only 4 people besides myself were there to partake of two pitchers.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

oops...
    So are you saying that your inner Barney *is* wu-wei, or that it *goes* wu-wei?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Buddha juxstaposed with an angry kitty.

Discuss.

Mrow!

Buddha, "Hey cat, want to smell my finger."

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    So Earthpiggy. Wussup with the Jethro Bodine look yah sportin these days?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    So Earthpiggy. Wussup with the Jethro Bodine look yah sportin these days?
    I had the bottoms rolled up so I could ride my fixie without getting my widdle cuffs all soiled.

I call them my "over-pris." It's the new, new hipster fashion accessory. They go well with a NASCAR lid and a pack of American Spirit smokes.

mtbr member
    I share your pain Mike... Often times, getting people involved and tuned in to what we're trying to say and do at R2R feels like this:

One of the more effective "strategies" that we've tried this year was to publicize our message using different media. We've tried:
    Idaho Outdoors, REI (talks), Sprockids, Mountainbike Classes, BSU Films, Newspaper articles, etc... I'm thinking that you can reach more "new" people using these groups than on MTBR/SWIMBA. Let me know if you need help in getting the word out on the trailwork schedule. Ideally, the work should be two weeks out so people can plan... Also, talk to CBro in maybe getting the Barneys involved. It would be a great way to introduce them to the Bogus trail system... Heck, you can turn the SWIMBA Marketing Team loose and you may end up with more volunteers than you'll know what to do with (I'm thinking that trailwork schedule flyers on cars at Camelsback, Mil Reserve and the VeloPark on a weekend should get you a few volunteers).

As far as motivation... Beer and pizza always works for me but I'm thinking that a ride and BBQ at the trailhead post-work will get you more volunteers.

oops...
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    As far as motivation... Beer and pizza always works for me but I'm thinking that a ride and BBQ at the trailhead post-work will get you more volunteers.
    He had me at 'lotion'

mtbr platinum member
    I'll second the need to have more lead time for requests. I travel out of town quite a bit, but if I know the date at least 10 days ahead, then I can tweak my travel to accomodate.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

King of the Barneys
    I'll press hard for the Barneys to volunteer for a day, and promise them their standard B & BBQ that they've come to expect. We could do half a day trail work, a couple hours ride, then a big BBQ bash. I have over 40 on the email list, so we'll see if we can 2 or 3 who really care. And I need to lead from the front and get out there swinging a Puhlaski, too. I'ts been last year since I was seen working out there. Sorry. Most Sundays are taken with church, and Saturday mornings I have connubial maintenance. But I can change these plans with some notice.

You guys do all the work. A lot like a grown kid still living at home, counting on the toilet paper fairy to keep paper on the roll, and never lifting a finger to help keep the household running. You guys have kept paper on the roll, and for that we thank you. We lazy assed Ba$tards who have profited from your hard work, thank you. Now we need to simply join you. Capiche?
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

CBro - Those were kind words. You do good work with the Barney riders. It is much appreciated. I look forward to seeing you and the Barneys on 9/14.

BikerX40 - Nice to see your post. I don't think I've seen a post from you in some time.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Today's word of the day, courtesy of Doctor Dictionary:

Word of the Day for Wednesday, August 13, 2008
    chichi \SHEE-shee\, adjective:
    Affectedly trendy.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    OK, for some stupid reason, likely my own stubborness and a sense of wanting to give some necessary and needed balance to this seemingly lopsided thread (and totally against my better judgment about this forum and it's relative worthlessness for reasonable discussion about anything), I feel (again stupidly) compelled to note what I see as a problem with the underlying premise here. Jesus, I'm an idiot for doing this, but here goes. (Again, I'm being a total idiot. I know of one forum member who would not only agree, but call me many other names!) PS - If I use big words and you can’t understand, buy a dictionary.

(Initial disclaimer time: I do some sort of trail work every year and have for over a decade. I have also built trail – the Central Ridge extension to Shane’s in particular - where I’d always thought a trail was needed, I knew I’d use it and I knew many, many others would too. I have not built trail in relatively remote areas such as Bogus or Gardener Peak. I don’t ride Bogus very often – don’t even know where GP is - and much less so now that gas exceeds $4 per gal and will only get more expensive. Of course, I do, as everybody else does, appreciate the work of those who have built trails in these areas. So, understand that’s where I’m coming from. )

First, the original post begins with a seemingly underlying current of disappointment, accusation, and frustration. To paraphrase, "You use the trails, they have given you enjoyment, but when we/I ask you to do trail work, it's only ever the same people who show up! What will it take for you to show up?" Paraphrasing again - “We’ve had this group, and that group, and this group doing work, but only a couple of people from here!” Again - “Should we even post here?” Quoting exactly, “What is it going to take to motivate the people on this board to actually show up and give back to the trail system that has provided them so much happiness and satisfaction?” Summary – you use the trails, so you must work on them. Get off your butt and help. At least the end of the post was conciliatory and reasonable – what motivation will it take to get you out there?

Unsurprisingly, some responsive posts have alternately followed the same initially discordant and accusatory theme. “The rest need to get off there a$$es and do something.” "A lot like a grown kid still living at home, counting on the toilet paper fairy to keep paper on the roll, and never lifting a finger to help keep the household running." At least two people accurately and intelligently noted that there are other ways to give back and to and/or volunteer to support the cycling community. One in particular gave very good examples of how to get the word out. Thank you both – very perceptive and relevant to the OP (as usual.)

However, the underlying (and perhaps overlooked?) concept to this entire thread is that, any and all who enjoy using the trails are obligated due to that use to “give back” their time to the cycling community in some way, shape, or form. Why? Does anybody else see the fallacy of this premise? Why does use of the trails necessarily require that one must give back to the cycling community? This seems to be a very narrow and biased viewpoint and ignores some very basic concepts of individual circumstances, time management and community volunteering.

Let me posit this - can’t people give back to the Boise community as a whole in ways that have nothing to do with cycling? Does that count? If not, why not? Why can’t one use the trails and not build new ones or maintain old ones? Don’t we (in Boise) pay our taxes to the City so that R2R can maintain some of them? We all use the roads – are we all obligated to do road work? I think this is a much more appropriate analogy to this discussion than the teenager who fails to change the roll.

What about other, non-cycling volunteer efforts? Volunteer for the humane shelter? Volunteer for your church? Serve food to the homeless? Assist refugees in ways that have nothing do with cycling? I do a fair amount of unpaid volunteer work for three different non-profits that benefit more of this community than trail work does. Why does the fact that I – and many, many others - enjoy riding bikes obligate me to work on the trails? Doesn’t my other community service count? Am I to give up those efforts just because I ride a bike? Is the cycling community the only community that counts? Isn’t this a tad biased and narrow minded? Isn’t life so much more than cycling?

What about individual circumstances? How many of you are parents? Single parents? Who out there has a full time job – especially one that requires you to actually go to an office and be there for a good part of the day? How about working multiple jobs? Night jobs? Weekend jobs? If one wants to use their limited free time to recreate or do other things that are more important to them than building trails, is this a bad thing? Cause for disappointment or accusation? If I go spend 4 – 6 hours to build trail in an area I’d ride once a year if at all, who is going to do my laundry? Do my yardwork? Run the other errands I have to do? Take care of my child (or children for those of you with multiples)? Nobody should apologize for putting their free time to their highest and best use.

OK, I’ve gone on and on – as usual. Just wanted to provide the yang to the general yin of this thread. I know this is a forum to discuss biking, but Jesus, there’s more to life than riding a bike or building trails.

Out.

illiterate or intoxicated
    I agree. There is more to life than cycling or building trails. Such as drinking beer and/or playing with your wu-wei.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Trailwork makes me bulky. I hate feeling bulky.

Barneys Unite!

Where did you

get that picture of my sister?

King of the Barneys
    EP, I follow your argument, and agree to a point. Like you, we have several other non-profit involvements, and they all take time.

Perhaps I could be like Algore and buy carbon credits. I could buy pitchers for those who do trail work, rather than get out there myself.

And I'm busy with 2 businesses, a family, loafing, charity & church obligations, Barney Ride maintenance, etc., but we all are.

I like to recommend to all riders that they give at least 1 day a year to trail maintenance. If most did that, then the problem would likely be solved. Some would get hooked on trail building/mtce, and others would just pay their dues with one day a year.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Wandervans
    Not much of our taxes our allocated towards trails, it would be great if this was the case.

I think mountain bikers have two options:
    1) Give one day a year for trail building
    2) Support a 1% sales tax on all outdoor goods sold in Idaho with the funds plowed back into maintaining and building trails.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member

Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Trailwork makes me bulky. I hate feeling bulky.
    Brandi upon her return from China.
    Quote: "They told me that they were vitamins"
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the entertaining post Mike.....

I've spent more time on this forum in the last two days than I have in the last six months.

Good to see some manic posting by EP too.......Darylama......made my day!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Markv
    I've spent more time on this forum in the last two days than I have in the last six months.
    Ditto. It has been a good reminder why I took 9 months off from the board. Different year, some new faces...and same 'ol worthless blippity, blappity, bloop. At least Twisted Crank keeps things surreal.

I like girls with muscles. And salad. And hand lotion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well........welcome back!

[QUOTE=Earthpig]Ditto. It has been a good reminder why I took 9 months off from the board. Different year, some new faces...and same 'ol worthless blippity, blappity, bloop. At least Twisted Crank keeps things surreal.

When I need a laugh I can usually count on you or Dirk......

mtnjam
    I need there to be workdays in the week . I work on weekends . I think futures / Hits along the trails will get people stoked up. Then want to give their input on whats going in
    .I not talking about bringing in wood and building drops and skinnies, just having log rides and rollers off boulders and fun stuff . No one wants to be bench cutting a trail for 8 hours that has nothing on it but a 5 min. downhill with a hour and a half climb .Thats just my way of thinking about it .
    I think you're onto something...using natural terrain features to make the trail more fun and technical. Perfect example, gullies=natural halfpipe, why not make trails that use this natural feature? Look at the motocross areas (Owyhee MC Club, Owyhee trails, etc...), they make it work. Think of skiers and snowboarders, each one picks their own line down something and incorporates the natural terrain for fun. Granted we don't want people just choosing their own lines, but those lines down the hill/mountain that flow are the ones bikers are going to use more and more and create a flowy, natural terrain feature trail. Spur trails that are signed as more difficult, etc...

Why not have trail maintenance done on an as needed basis. Let the riders who are out that know what they are doing do a little trail maintenance along the way. Take a break from the ride and work a little on the trail, pile brush on switchback cuts, put rocks on BuckTail to keep it single.

Just thinking out loud...

Still haven't come up with the solution to the sand on Polecat either. Rock armouring? Big booter jump over the sand? I dunno...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    Still haven't come up with the solution to the sand on Polecat either. Rock armouring? Big booter jump over the sand? I dunno...
    Kitty litter, No really the clay and a good o'l Idaho winter and we get green belt beauty baby butt butter smooth surface...

mtbr member

20-20

First rule is there are no rules. Ride and or work if it makes you happy/hippy/yippy.

If while riding you encounter a branch in your face, stop and cut it off.

If after work your pay check seems to fat, give a little to the budda who buys gas, chains and oil for the saw.

Toss me a bone and i'll put in in the tank to drive up on my day off working fo da man and dig a little. Then to my utter amazement find the lives of my fellow idaho'ens forever enhanced because they get new dirt under their wheels. Smiles all around.

My IMBA membership renewal came today - I'll give $40 (inflation-used to be $20- hence the forever to be retired marketing slogan give 20-20- $20 to the local club and $20 the national org.) and get another very expensive pair of sox. I'll also toss the annual membership to SWIMBA and donate hours etc. to raise funds, bring Gary and Charlie to 'lil O' Boise town and deposit a check for $1,400 in the till for SWIMBA Sprockids. If Cash had to be paid out to bring that movie to town it would have been in the red. Cost was much higher than what it brought in but I Know people appreciated seeing the legends of Klunkerz and I had FUN. (Thanks again World Cycle, Bardenay, Laffeaux and Martin)

Those mystics are right. Stop doing it when it stops being FUN and see what happens...
    Or stop when the blisters form or you go blind and it's too late.

Guilt is a lot heaver than a pulaski.

Can you dig it?

blet drive
    harley,
    good word and it is hard for some of us to get out there and do trail work..unless you want to do it by head light witch would suck more than riding by head light..... so if any one wants to get out there and do some early 430 am trail work then let me know and im all over it.. have to be at work by 6
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Rocks Rock

It's all good

Hey banter on this forum contributes to my cycling happy place. My day is always better when I read something from Twisted or Piggy. But everybody else needs to get off their a$$. Because I'm a grumpy old bastard, OK!
    Am I being kind?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    Hey banter on this forum contributes to my cycling happy place. My day is always better when I read something from Twisted or Piggy. But everybody else needs to get off their a$$. Because I'm a grumpy old bastard, OK!
    I love grumpy bastards. Look - Grumpy does trail work too!

And gnomes. Loves me some gnomes. But, Dopey was my favorite dwarf.

I need to get off my @ss due to some inflamed saddle sores. It's like somebody took a pulaski to my tween. Ungreased even.

Howley - Kitty litter makes a great, crunchy addition to any salad. Especially well used kitty litter. But, remember - don't throw out the kitty with the litter. Well, unless your kitty has gone to kitty heaven (or hell.) I've found that dead cats tend to smell, unless you freeze them quickly or baste them in a fine cheese sauce and cook them at 400 degrees for at least 2 hours. A perfect main course with your salad.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    These are the images that come to mind when I see tattooed urban hipster doofuses wearing manpris, backward Euro roadie hats, and sporting their ultimate two wheeled fashion accessories.

Much like "Members Only" jackets, Milli Vanilli, acid-washed jeans, CX bikes, puffy white tennis shoes, Hummers, mullets, OP shorts, low rider minitrucks, 29'ers, Lance Armstrong, meth, and, more recently, brainlessly jumping on the Obama so-called "Change" bandwagon, I'll guffaw when this trendy [email protected] jumps the shark so I can go back filling my limited grey matter with thoughts of gnomes, Bea Arthur, the Lama, hand lotion, hucking cats, and mastubation.

(Disclaimer - I rooted for Lance. I have owned two 29'ers. I have owned 3 CX bikes. I once supported Obama. I had multiple pairs of OP shorts and a mullet. I have owned a Fleegle, a Midge, and a Mary bar. I am not immune to trends, nor do I believe anybody else is. I am no better - and no worse - than anybody else. If you can't poke fun at yourself, don't poke fun. Watching trends come and go is a riot. And, I'd do Paris Hilton on live TV. But, I would use a condom. Or two. Happy Friday!)
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-15-2008 at 07:34 AM.

mtbr member
    ....hummers.....

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2cruiser72
    ....hummers.....
    mmmm....Bea Arthur....

Even better - me, Bea Arthur, Paris Hilton, some hand lotion, a dwarf, a pulaski, a treatise on the Crimean War, a cold 24 oz can of Bull Ice VSL, and a Turkish prison cell. God, there's a great weekend.

Oops, forgot the leeches. And a fixie.

oops...
    Some light reading to prepare for your dream weekend: http://www.cracked.com/article_16032...-sex-toys.html

Inspirational!

Barneys Unite!
    Some great gift ideas there!

LOL!

Aug 2008

boise trail work

I would totally come out and help if you guys would make the foothills trails similar to the ones I used to ride when in CO. Cover all the sand **** up with rocks, steams, trees. Also if we could pass a law where we could bludgeon idiots with off-leash dogs, that would totally get my butt more interested in trail work.

The thing is, I have done tons of trail work here in boise. 32nd st, Bogus Downhill, Bogus North shore etc....

Been there, done that.

And Really, if you can transform the foothills into a CO like setting, I will help out EVERY weekend. You can count one meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim steffes
    And Really, if you can transform the foothills into a CO like setting, I will help out EVERY weekend. You can count one meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    while we're at it, let's ship in some kayenta and navajo sandstone and make it like Moab!

i always love the "Why aren't Boise foothills trails more like _____________ trails?" posts...

jalepenio jimenez
    Well, since beer and pizzza isn't exactly my carrot of choice anymore, how about some young, hard-bodied biker babes to work alongside decked out in the latest Spandex sawing chaps. Say forty to fortyfiveish (younger for those of you still able to go all night.) Some good afterwork drugs would be nice too: Advil, Motrin, Tylenol, etc. And don't forget the de-fibrilator, just in case some of those younger, younger babes show up.

And, quit scheduling these few and far between work days on my occupational work days, (not to mention your last get together on my Boise High 40 year reunion,) then I may be free to show up and learn a few things about trail building from you farm boys.

I'd be into working in the evenings too. How about 5:00-9:00 some night? Beer and Advil on the way down as the sun is setting.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

Aug 2008

Why aren't Boise foothills trails more like

while we're at it, let's ship in some kayenta and navajo sandstone and make it like Moab!

i always love the "Why aren't Boise foothills trails more like _____________ trails?" posts...
    Perfect Idea, stop wasting your time posting and get on the Moab idea, anybody know where we can get 4-5 good size streams and maybe and 20 ft waterfall. We could set it up so you go over hull's big rock drop (hahahah) and then you could ride through the 20ft waterfall.

flipnidaho - let me know the ETA of the Moab landscape project and I'll try to have the streams and waterfall by then.

BTW the reason that so many people utter the phrase "Why aren't Boise foothills trails more like _____________ trails?" , is because this place (foothills, boise area) leaves so much to be desired in terms of biking.

Helping Idaho out 1 step at a Time - Jim

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I wanna know why the trails aren't more like Twisted Crank's shaved monkey booty.

I'd work on the trails more often if we could see more baboon backside. With beer and a side of boiled latex.

Frim fram falala. Froopy frazzmatazz.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I wanna know why Earthpig's tattoos aren't more feline.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow, I went back and re-read the first post and it was a little preachy! That wasnt the intent. Was just hoping to spread the building passion and find out what motivated others. I totally agree there are more ways to give than building trails. There were some great suggestions. So stay tuned for beers and lotion.

Now lets get back to the show! Just spreading the love

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Always shave that cat before you get it tattooed. Nobody likes a hairy, tatted kitty.

Sexy kitty.

Mrrrrow!

oops...
    So if the riding here isn't what you like, why do you bother riding here?

May 2007

Get involve it is happening

To the ones of you who are complaining about how the trails are built come out and join us and give your input.
    The Gardiner Peak trail system will give us an opportunity to build a more challenging trail. It is not going to be what everyone wants but it is a step closer. This is not a R2R trail. We are working with the FS.
    When Bogus is done it will have everything from Green to Black Diamond trails.
    The only thing that is preventing this from getting done is support on the ground. If we had the people we could have it done in a year. At the pace we are going now it will take 5 to 10 years. If each person who rides a Mountain Bike would give one day we could build 10 or more miles or trail a year. One day is that asking to much.
    Oh yea, Three trail committee members were working at the SWIMBA booth and they will be there to support Tour De Fat.

If you look back 3 years we have come a long way in getting the riding the community wants. The Velodrome is the start.

I met with a group of land owners today that are going to give us the opportunity to build the trails as we see fit. This is a couple of years out but it will happen only with support from the community. We need to show them what we can do so everyone needs to get involved now.

mtbr member

Agreed...ride and BBQ would be cool.

When's the next trail work day?
    I've not been killed, only wounded...I'll just lie here a while and bleed, then rise again to fight another day.

Fly fat ass fly !
    Quote Originally Posted by hodgee
    So if someone doesn't want to ride the same way everyone else here rides thats bad ? I kinda feel like builders want to coral everyone into same style of riding .
    When i said i was disapointed in the local trails someone said shut up and dig ,but
    isn't illegal trail work bad ???Do you really want me to start digging ?
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

mtbr member

wat?

it was bothering me the other day, but i thought it would go away but it didn't. When asked wat it would take to get people out to build trails people said free beer. therefore saying that they needed to be given extra incentive to build trails. now if that is not the biggest oxymoron i have ever heard i dont know wat is. The incentive is that you get trails you get to ride and possibly get to help put a word in about how they should be. But i guess that would solve way too many problems and therefore give you old men too much free time since you would not be on here all the time whining and complaining.
    today's youth will be the ones running the world in short time. be nice.

mtbr member

?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFLA
    So if someone doesn't want to ride the same way everyone else here rides thats bad ? I kinda feel like builders want to coral everyone into same style of riding .
    When i said i was disapointed in the local trails someone said shut up and dig ,but
    wow where to begin. 1st no it is not bad to want to ride differently than other people. This is often known as progression. 2nd when building a trail u build wat you like. Therefore yes, trails do have a tendency to have similar characteristics because they are built by the same guys because most other people are too lame to get involved and help. It is much easier to move spoiled fingers while typing that you get your act together and do something. 3rd when they said dig they meant on a trail day or other similar days with people who know wat they are doing.

ps one thing i hate about reading posts is that sometimes it is hard to tell if people are being serious or not. and yes i realize there will be sarcastic replies to this and that is one reason i read the dumb posts.
    today's youth will be the ones running the world in short time. be nice.

mtnjam
    bothering to ride here is a choice, but there is also the potential to have this be some great riding, not just XC, but all aspects of biking (DH, FR, DJ, etc) could be available around here. The Gardiner Peak trail project is definitely a step in the right direction for this kind of riding, but there has to be small steps taken first to show the land managers we want this kind of opportunity, like trail/brush clearing, disassembling old stunts, etc...

Yeah, it can be frustrating at times seeing how slow some projects move, but in the long run it'll be for the better; instead of getting illegal trails shut down, getting legal trails built and funded...

Yeah, the velodrome and the work that Brad is putting together out there is definitely a start and I commend the efforts being putforth out there. Heck, I wish I could get out there more to volunteer my time. If there were more trails to work on like that project I'd be all over it.

I'm not saying that I want our trails to be just like Utah, Colorado, or British Columbia, but I've ridden enough other places to know what possibilities there are with terrain.

Don't worry, be happy!

Shut up and dig means, show up for a work day on legal trails and get involved in the local trail effort.That will give you in roads to have input on the kind of trails YOU want to build and ride. If you aint helping to make it happen you have no reason to complain.

Yes. Unauthorized Trail Building Is Bad

I was staying away from this thread...but like Earthpig...I ended up replying.

Yes, unauthorized trail work is bad. And yes, I do want you to HELP dig. Your input would be helpful when building. Please remember, however, that the trails are being built within the constraints of the land managers. Certain things just won't fly. (No pun intended.)

Are the trail builders trying to limit your options? Nope. Quite the opposite. We have worked (and continue to work) really hard to provide more options for riders. (BTW, that was us that did the initial brush cut and clearing on Deer Point...and we are glad you liked it.) We would love to build you a Dirt Merchant-type trail. Hell, I'd love to build that trail...but it comes down to time, money, and resources...and a Dirt Merchanty-type trail would take a lot of all three...if you could get past certain legal issues.

Lastly, the trail builders value all the posts and input that people have given here and out on the trail. We regret that we cannot build trails like Porcupine Rim, the Portal, Dirt Merchant, A-Line, Gooseberry, or National. Local geology, legal issues, time, and money limit what can be done. However, we are currently trying to provide more money and resources towards areas which allow such technical features to be constructed. Wish us luck.

And now....back to fondly reminiscing about the Portal and Porc Rim.

oops...
    No argument with anything you wrote, ryman.

My point was that griping about how Boise isn't like somewhere else is wasted time and energy.

I'm fully aware that the non-XC riders have a shortage of the things that make their day, and I'm fully on-board for developing as much of that as can be *legally and sustainably* developed.

oops...
    Not at all what I meant. What I was getting at is that the complaint is pointless -- Boise isn't some other place, because it's Boise, not some other place.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Do you know what really bugs me about arguing on the internet about trails and trail work and who is doing trail work and who is not doing trail work and what can be done about it and whether or not we can get some free beer and what days everyone can do trailwork and why the trails are bad and who is not doing what?

When my granny panties get all bunched up. Very uncomfortable and makes me feel all ooky.

Am I the only one who thinks granny panties are drop dead sexy?

Aug 2008

ummm

Because driving to Colorado to ride 4 times a week is probably not going to work out for me. Why do you think I ride here dumb-xxx - I live here. What we need here is trail diversity. But instead we have trail X which is almost a complete copy of trail Y, which is just like trail W, etc......

oops...
    If you aren't having fun, then do something else. If you are having fun, then why complain?

As for being a dumb-xxx, that may or may not be true -- you don't know me well enough to make the assertion.

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by jim steffes
    Because driving to Colorado to ride 4 times a week is probably not going to work out for me. Why do you think I ride here dumb-xxx - I live here. What we need here is trail diversity. But instead we have trail X which is almost a complete copy of trail Y, which is just like trail W, etc......
    We have lots of trail variety here you just have to get out and explore. The lower foothills trails certainly are pretty homogenous, but there is more to life than just those trails. Lots of fun to explore up at stack rock or drop over the backside of the front. Maybe drive up to garden valley, mccall, stanley, sun valley, pine, or the countless other trails in the national forest. Idaho has more miles of singletrack than any other state, I think it is 11,000 and counting and I am not bored. What we have in right in Boise is a nice collection of trails close to town, you don't find that in Denver, Boulder, Seattle, or Portland. All of those place you have to drive at least here we can ride.

Maybe one day we will have a dirt merchanct type of trail, but that is not going to happen unless people show up to help. Come out to the velopark or go dig in the forest.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Ghris Fook.

Sh!t, that one never gets old.

This place needs an enema. Followed by a colonoscopy and a full rectal exam.

Hee hee - I said "rectal." That one never gets old either.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-20-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Wandervans
    Ghris Fook.

Sh!t, that one never gets old.

This place needs an enema. Followed by a colonoscopy and a full rectal exam.

Hee hee - I said "rectal." That one never gets old either.
    Damm, I have just one question for you. When was the last time you got laid?
    Last edited by smilycook; 08-21-2008 at 09:16 AM.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Damm, I have just one questions for you. When was the last time you got laid?

Aug 2008

Damn Twisted

that kitty DJ sure rocks, is he available for house parties.

plays well with cows
    i didnt know the velodrome was in boise...

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by belowambient
    i didnt know the velodrome was in boise...
    Close enought...
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    What is it going to take to motivate the people on this board to actually show up and give back to the trail system that has provided them so much happiness and satisfaction? Once again we post a trail day and it is the same old individuals committing to show up and build. Should we even post on this board?

The season started with a bang with the freeriders stepping up to the plate out at the velopark.This spring progressed with some new faces and a couple of old faces to clear the Eastside trails. The Boise Young Riders Develop team showed up in force and help clear Sinker Creek and Mr. Big. That is the only team that has shown up and there has been no bike shop that has shown up. We have had an individual that works at a shop show up but not a day you could call represented by a shop.

Since that time we have seen a group of woman in there 50s put in some solid work. There was a group of men in there 50s and 60s that not only put in a solid evening of work, they were looking for routes to incorporate some rock obstacles. There have been people from the Idaho Outdoor page and hikers show up.

We have seen one or two faces from the Idaho MTBR Board but that is about it. This post is a plea to help us figure out what motivates you supposedly the real mountain bikers in Boise and what will get you out to do some trail work.

What will motivate you?

What time of year do you want to work?

Is there an area you would prefer to work?

Is there a better way to post work days?

Any suggestions?
    I was up there with Dave Beck and the BYRDS on Mr. Big and Sinker Creek. I work weekends but am willing to help out Monday through Thursday. I keep seeing Old Man Ridings posts for trail work, but they are on Saturdays. I wish I could help out. Put together a few trail work days for those of us who work weekends.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Damm, I have just one question for you. When was the last time you got laid?
    You still have a spelling error.

OK, Visi - edit or delete.

*sigh*

Spackle!
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-21-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Close enought...
    I suppose your spelling is close enough.

Shall we continue this silly thing? I love you man! Where's the love? I love everybody! I love flowers and salad and kitties and granny panties! I know you love granny panties, smily. Granny panties make you smile. Granny panties make everybody smile. Well, except dirty granny panties, but I think Twisted Crank still loves those.

Mrow. Fffft! Cat fight!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    When was the last time you got laid?
    Oh yeah, on this, are you offering? You know I think you're sexy. However, I do like my sexual partners to be a bit more mentally twisted. You may not be crazy enough to satisfy me.

Let me know, sweetheart.

Wandervans
    Oh yeah, on this, are you offering? You know I think you're sexy. However, I do like my sexual partners to be a bit more mentally twisted. You may not be crazy enough to satisfy me.

Let me know, sweetheart.

What would the Hoff say? I though he was your main squeeze, literally!
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    What would the Hoff say? I though he was your main squeeze, literally!
    I only sex up the Hoff for the free sloppy floor burgers. That Hoff flash app crotch close up posted last week is still haunting me. And you know I love a good haunting.

Smily, how about you and me go ride? Armor, full face helmets and nothing else. Well, maybe a smile. Or some trail work? I promise to let you use my pulaski.

I'm feeling very loving and caring today. Like a big 'ol toxic care bear. With scratchy undies.

Wandervans
    Smily, how about you and me go ride? Armor, full face helmets and nothing else. Well, maybe a smile. Or some trail work? I promise to let you use my pulaski.
    We should get toegther for a ride it has been a long time. Will you be drinking beer a tour de fat?
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    We should get toegther for a ride it has been a long time. Will you be drinking beer a tour de fat?
    Agreed. Heck, do you even ride XC anymore?

I'll be at the cruiser parade tomorrow AM and will be fighting the urban hipster man-pri wearing college kid crowd thereafter for a breakfast beer.

Beer - it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my new-ish email address.

Fly fat ass fly !

?

Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    The Gardiner Peak trail project is definitely a step in the right direction for this kind of riding.
    What do you mean ??? Whats going to be different about Gardiner peak???

Well one of the things SWAMP club did was if someone got 40 hours in a year they got a free membership.Then got put into a raffle to win other stuff .
    Ridgeriders gave out shirts and water bottles.
    Freeridesouth gave out shirts and stickers .
    I'm not sure what Omba does ,but when we did Santos, imba and freeridesouth.com gave out stuff.
    I'm saying this is the right thing to do ,but it got some people out to help.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

mtbr member
    I would say to just keep trail work days scheduled and posted. I usually have to watch for a time that works and sign up at the last minute. To anyone that has not done trail work, it is very enjoyable. The last work I did was followed with free beer and pizza and a bunch of the guys used the drive up as a shuttle for a ride down.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Members who have read this thread: 0