Boise Trails Information Thread- Mtbr.com
    Wandervans

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Boise Trails Information Thread

Maps for Boise Trails/Shaffer Butte:
    www.ridgetorivers.org

Trailheads on the Boise Front:
    Camelsback (crowded so avoid in the evenings)
    Military Reserve (nice loops and connections)
    Pole Cat (fun 10 mile rolling loop system)
    Seamens Gulch (Good beginner)
    Velopark (Good loop system)
    Tablerock (Technical Loops and steeps)
    Harris Ranch (Dirt Road Cruising)

Some Trails:
    Technical: Rock Islands, Tram Trail, Bobs, Hulls
    Smooth and Fast: Sidewinder, Shanes, Crestline, Pole Cat Loops, Velopark
    Shuttles: Hard Guy, Trail 7&6, Bobs, Dry Creek, Three Bears
    Off the map trails: Donít ask unless you donít mind getting lost. Just ask for a guide.

Campgrounds:
    Shaffer Campground (Drive up Bogus road and keep on going)

Post about Boise Trails
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=boise+trails

By no means all inclusive so feel free to add on....

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Look out!
    For a couple of videos that are a general representation of trails in the area take a peek:

http://www.spinmotiv.com/Trails/Corr...ralsvideo.html

http://www.spinmotiv.com/Trails/Hard...dguyvideo.html
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Here is a site that gives some good info on the Boise foothills:

http://www.mbpost.com/area/261808/Boise-Foothills.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

You forgot a few

What about Sweet Connie, Shingle Trail, Five Mile Gulch, and Orchard Gulch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantera Rider
    What about Sweet Connie, Shingle Trail, Five Mile Gulch, and Orchard Gulch.
    Where is Sweet Connie and Shingle Trail?? I haven't heard of those two yet. And what kind of trials are they...how long?
    I've not been killed, only wounded...I'll just lie here a while and bleed, then rise again to fight another day.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Just so everyone knows and noone feels like they're not in the club (what club?), Sweet Sweet Connie (it's actual name) and Shingle Creek are not official trails. The local convention is usually to be shown these trails by someone in the know. Interestingly Sweet Sweet Connie was mentioned in a National Geographic Adventure article. Also, Shingle Creek is part of the Dry Creek network - you can read about access to Dry Creek in Stuebner's Boise guide book.

Both trails start in public lands and bottom out on private property. Ride there with respect and tread lightly because there's movement afoot to make SSC an official trail and it's a resource we do not want to lose.

So now you know
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I took the connector from the reserve to the freeway on Sunday and noticed the land just across the road was on the market. Will we lose the trail if the land is sold?
    Idaho

mtbr member
    Are there any good maps or resources for the Owyhee Front-Wilson Creek area?

May 2004
    For those who like the DH or Free-Ride thing,
    There is a shuttle service that will trake you up to Bogus Basin, Eagelson Summit, or several drops from Camels Back to the 8th St. ORV Park.
    Flexable drop locations and times.
    Call 208-559-1689 or E-Mail [email protected] for more info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hello everyone,
    Can you buy maps at the local shop for these trails?
    Texas based trail builders: www.sstrails.com

mtbr member

Yes

Yes, you can typically buy the R2R maps at all of the bike shops and sporting goods stores including REI. There is a map for the Boise front and another map that was introduced a year or two ago for the Bogus Basin trails as well.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm a XC racer from the midwest and will be moving to Boise Fall of 2010. I wonder what a good race bike is for the terrain the ID race series covers. I currently ride a 1x9 superfly 29er which I know is great for Boise foothills but what about for the other race locations? Superfly 100? Thanks for thoughts.

JustRide44
    The 1x9 Superfly would be plenty for 95% of the terrain that you'll find in our races. There are singlespeeders finishing in the top 10 of most every race & certainly a lot of guys on SS finishing every race so that will tell you something about the climbs...IMO you don't need to go our & get a superfly 100 unless you're going to do some endurance races or use it for trips (i.e Tahoe, Sun Valley, Park City, etc...) If you were to get a FS bike though, I think you're dead-on with the 100- Pretty amazing bike

BTW, when you move here, if you can swing it definately look for a place in the north end- you'll be happy you did when you never have to put you're bike(s) on a rack.

Too old to jump

When do things firm up for riding in the Spring

Planning a Grand Tour from 3rd Week of April through from Spokane through Utah-Vegas-Boise.

Do the Velopark jump trails dry up by then? What are our odds of getting some good riding conditions?

mtbr member
    the lower stuff including the velopark should be dry unless storms roll in close to when you are there.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Kind of a bummer, but ridge to rivers took down their trail conditions web page.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What in the hell is wrong with people? Rode a loop yesterday and today while the trails were still frozen. So many of the trails are trashed from people using them while muddy, human feet, dog tracks, horse hoofs, and bike ruts.
    Some of the trails are like riding in a plowed field, completely ****ed up.
    And the trails are getting wider and wider, you can't even tell where the single track is supposed to be anymore.
    My rant is over, I just wished people would use their heads.

mtbr member
    Yeah, last winter, I monitored and tried to ride, but when I went out, the trails were trashed. This year, I have been once .... early morning. Otherwise I don't even bother.

Wandervans
    Camping around Boise:

Shaffer Butte Campround (summer only) 16 miles from Boise
    http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Sh...O&parkId=70497

Boise Riverside RV Park (KOA operated )
    http://boiseriversidervpark.com/
    6000 N. Glenwood, Boise, ID 83714
    Phone #: 208-375-7432

Meridian KOA
    184 Pennwood Street
    Meridian, ID 83642
    RESERVE(800) 562-7626
    INFO(208) 888-7003
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hello. I'm a Boise native who now lives in Phoenix. I'm here in Boise for the week. Could you weigh in on your favorite longer Boise rides? I was planning on the Eastside/stackrock trail one day and a hard guy/trip over to Military preserve. Any other ideas? Thanks! If you want to ride one of these rides at a moderate pace, let me know--company always makes the rides more fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Kudos to the guys who have been doing some work on Drycreek. What a blast!! Keep up the good work!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Trip to Boise, begining of August...

Hi guys,

I ride everything but mainly all mountain\free ride...any recommended trails? and bike rentals?

Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    my favorite ride in the boise foot hills is going to the top of hardguy, take a left at the fire road and take it to the summit of bogus. ride it down. its the best

mtb'er

Goatheads

I'm visiting... got out briefly today and farted around (south) Emmett, on a canal over toward Gem Cycle Park. Got about 20 goatheads in my non-tubeless tires in no time Before I plan a ride in the Boise foothills tomorrow or Saturday, is it safe to say goatheads are everywhere? I searched this forum and I see goatheads mentioned once in a while, but would like to know if running tubes is just stupid (e.g., making riding not worth it while I'm here). Input/opinions are appreciated! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I'm visiting... got out briefly today and farted around (south) Emmett, on a canal over toward Gem Cycle Park. Got about 20 goatheads in my non-tubeless tires in no time Before I plan a ride in the Boise foothills tomorrow or Saturday, is it safe to say goatheads are everywhere? I searched this forum and I see goatheads mentioned once in a while, but would like to know if running tubes is just stupid (e.g., making riding not worth it while I'm here). Input/opinions are appreciated! Thanks.
    Don't give up yet, and welcome to Boise.

It is pretty common for there to be a considerable amount of goat heads along canals and the green belt. I tend to avoid those areas as much as possible for that reason.

I am not familiar wtih the Emmett area, but this is typically a good time of year for there to be fewer goat heads. The Boise area foothills should be pretty good. I would always recommended tubeless when possible, but at the very least, I would carry an extra slime tube with you. In general, the higher you climb up into the foothills the less likely you would be to ever encounter goat heads.

Ride on and happy trails.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey,

I'm going to be in Boise the last week of March, and I'm wondering if I should bring my mountain bike. Are local trails typically rideable that time of year? I don't mind driving a reasonable distance either if that helps(1-2hrs).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yes the trails are very rideable then, in fact that is my favorite time of year to ride.

Bogus will not be rideable, but just about anything under 5000 feet (pretty much all) will be rideable
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    hey - coming into Boise on Tues for the night, thinking about getting in a 1 -2 hour XC ride in. Any recommendations..flowy singletrack would be great...

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Hi Yeti...
    Here is a recent thread in this forum that has some good options and information: http://forums.mtbr.com/idaho-montana...ea-793836.html

mtbr member
    Can anybody tell me how to access Mahalo?
    Start at the BB lodge->up the face->drop down back towards Ridge Road?

Been hearing GREAT things about this trail, but nobody can give me clear, concise directions...

Thank in advance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SeventhSon View Post
    Can anybody tell me how to access Mahalo?
    Start at the BB lodge->up the face->drop down back towards Ridge Road?

Been hearing GREAT things about this trail, but nobody can give me clear, concise directions...

Thank in advance!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/idaho-montana...en-625985.html

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    I don't know how many of you have noticed the heavy equipment over on Freestone ridge, (by the electrical tower), but from there down Trail 5 is a MESS! Multiple tracks, very loose sand, equipment tracks crossing the bike trail. I ride this trail a lot, but my assessment is that it is pretty much a bust for the rest of the fall. It is going to need some major work to get it back in shape. I checked the Ridge to Rivers site, but didn't see any announcement as to what is going on.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by dblblack View Post
    I don't know how many of you have noticed the heavy equipment over on Freestone ridge, (by the electrical tower), but from there down Trail 5 is a MESS! Multiple tracks, very loose sand, equipment tracks crossing the bike trail. I ride this trail a lot, but my assessment is that it is pretty much a bust for the rest of the fall. It is going to need some major work to get it back in shape. I checked the Ridge to Rivers site, but didn't see any announcement as to what is going on.

Bummer to hear. I saw them up there as I was headed towards Shaw mtn road to go ride watchman.

Then this happened on the road almost to five mile. Boise Trails Information Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1349406984488.jpg

Complete derailer spontaneous explosion. There goes my season, I am to broke to get another shimano derailer for a while.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

Look out!
    Idaho Power working on the lines. I saw two trucks and a loader over there yesterday evening.
    Ride the bike.

mtnjam
    Idaho Power to conduct line maintenance along Ridge to Rivers trails - City of Boise

Here's R2R's official word on the work.

Saw the Idaho Power contractors working on something last week on Forbidden Love and kinda wondered what was going on. Looked initially like a drill rig or something putting a new well in.
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    Directions are a little tricky. Check out this map:
    Stueby's Outdoor Journal: Mahalo Trail is a great fall destination

The first turn off of ridge road is easy to see, jeep road going left as the ridge road veers right. It is shown on the map.
    You then go down the jeep road about 1/4 mile crossing a gate half way down. About 200 yards past the gate look for a single track heading off on the right side of the road (to the south).

Have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What are the conditions like around Boise in Early November? What are the trails like in general? I am looking for AM, singletrack (coming from Fernie, BC). If not Boise, is there anywhere else around southern Idaho that would be okay at this time of year?

mtbr member
    Boise will have the least amount of snow. You can check out the trails at:
    Ridge to Rivers - City of Boise
    On the satellite view anything green is about 5-6k feet elevation and above and could hold snow from here on out. Boise is 2700feet elevation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

new to the area

hey just moved to meridian from western new york, an looking for places to ride. looking to see in anyones gona go riding that wouldnt mind bringing a new guy along. Usually ride dh and freeride but dont mind xc at all. If anyone is willing to show me some trails pm me pls.

Thanks rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post

I have yet to get a goat head from the trails this year. They are mostly along the sidewalks and roads, it seems. Canal banks are probably a good place to find them, too. I rarely see them up in the hills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone know of trails up around Anderson Dam, Pine/Featherville, Trinities?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    Anyone know of trails up around Anderson Dam, Pine/Featherville, Trinities?
    Burnt to a crisp, like good toast.

Nothing to see here, move along now citizens...
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So were there no trails prior to the fire, or just none left now? The fire didn't take everything out.

addict

Should I bring my bike?

Coming to Boise from Moab for a class next week (Feb 4-8). We've been snow bound in Moab for the last couple of months and I'm jonesing to get on my bike. Anything in the foothills rideable right now?
    Thanks
    Last edited by powderhound82; 02-01-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Ride On!

dblblack
    Apr 2012

trail conditions in Boise in Early Feb

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound82 View Post
    Coming to Boise from Moab for a class next week (Feb 4-8). We've been snow bound in Moab for the last couple of months and I'm jonesing to get on my bike. Anything in the foothills rideable right now?
    Thanks
    It will be marginal. here is today's report from Ridge to Rivers: http://www.facebook.com/boisefoothillstrailconditions
    I'd keep checking back there. It does look like early morning rides are the only option right now.

addict
    Thanks, good info. May just bring my running shoes and drinking hat.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Anybody know how the trail conditions are in the owyhees?

mtbr member
    Great conditions other than trail 100, super muddy stretches. We rode 500 (Bingo), 600 (China Wall), 300 and a few random crosses between.

mtbr member
    Anybody been on Watchman recently?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So, my wife and I just got back from a job interview trip to Boise and it looks like we might be moving there this summer. While it is an upgrade from the Washington DC metro area for sure, I am getting a bit worried about the lack of technical riding and gravity riding in the area. I was fortunate enough to bring my trail bike with me and got to ride just about all the trails in the foot hills. Donít get me wrong, they were fun and ripping fast, but were lacking in roots, rocks and trees. I grew up in New England and love riding in the rocks and roots and I canít really picture myself riding the trails in the foot hills every day. I enjoy trails that my wife can ride, but I also like those white knuckle, can barely stay on the bike trails. I also checked out the Eagle bike park and the Willow park dirt jumps. Both parks had some decent lines, but nothing to big for me to hit on my trail bike. They both seemed void of riders and to be lacking in regular maintenance. I few people were talking about some trails up by Bogus Basin and McCaul, but I could never get any real details about them except that in the summer when itís too dry to ride the foot hills, you have to drive to get to the good trails. Basically there werenít any trails that I rode that gave me that "I can move here feeling.' So my question is, is there any technical xc riding, or Technical DH runs anywhere around Boise? Are there any Dirt jump areas other than the two above that have a good scene?

Thanks in advance!

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: Boise Trails Information Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jayb View Post
    So, my wife and I just got back from a job interview trip to Boise and it looks like we might be moving there this summer. While it is an upgrade from the Washington DC metro area for sure, I am getting a bit worried about the lack of technical riding and gravity riding in the area. I was fortunate enough to bring my trail bike with me and got to ride just about all the trails in the foot hills. Donít get me wrong, they were fun and ripping fast, but were lacking in roots, rocks and trees. I grew up in New England and love riding in the rocks and roots and I canít really picture myself riding the trails in the foot hills every day. I enjoy trails that my wife can ride, but I also like those white knuckle, can barely stay on the bike trails. I also checked out the Eagle bike park and the Willow park dirt jumps. Both parks had some decent lines, but nothing to big for me to hit on my trail bike. They both seemed void of riders and to be lacking in regular maintenance. I few people were talking about some trails up by Bogus Basin and McCaul, but I could never get any real details about them except that in the summer when itís too dry to ride the foot hills, you have to drive to get to the good trails. Basically there werenít any trails that I rode that gave me that "I can move here feeling.' So my question is, is there any technical xc riding, or Technical DH runs anywhere around Boise? Are there any Dirt jump areas other than the two above that have a good scene?

Thanks in advance!
    Willow lane is in sad shape. Last year when my friend and I got here to go to school we found willow in even worse shape. We ended up spending over a hundred hours and had the big line all built up 2 feet taller then it is now. We had it dialed and when we went home for the summer, Noone else did any additional work and it fell back into shambles. I ended up getting a full time job on top of going to school and so I don't have the time to dedicate to keep it in shape. There is a group of riders and a few 20in riders that ride a bit and claim to do some work, but since I showed up, I have never seen anyone else invest any real time out there other then shaping lips to their taste.

I never have seen the expert set at eagle actually in rideable shape and we never did any work out there. Need a lot of work on those to get them riding well again.

As far as trails go, I am in the same boat as you. I am still underwhelmed as to the options for gnar. Trail 4 from the ridge road is about the roughest thing around and it will actually use up my 7in on my bike. There are a few other trails that a few technical sections. But everything around here is rideable on a hardtail or even a cx bike for most.

I havnt explored north into the McCall area but I would guess there is some good riding once you get back into the trees.

Edit: I have herd that there is some big bmx style hits around if you know who to talk to. I am not much for bmx style hits so I never bothered checking it out.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Oh, and I forgot, are there any trails with some shade?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone interested in going out toward hemmingway tomorrow to show a new guy around for a couple hours in the morning or mid day? I'm sure I won't be that fast, especially since I will probably be on an old fully rigid bike while my newer bike is in the shop. Still I would love someone to show me around the trails.

dblblack
    Apr 2012

Boise technical XC options

Hi Jayb,
    Not sure why there hasn't been more responses here yet. Maybe everyone is still in ski mode like me. Anyway, there are two options close in that provide technical XC and shade. They are Dry Creek and the Eastside trails. Dry creek can be ridden to from the trailheads in town, but it involves some big uphills. Technically you could ride to the Eastside trails too, but most people just drive up Bogus Basin Road to the trailheads. Here is one of my YouTube videos on Dry Creek.

You can find more videos on for Dry Creek and some of the other rides here on my Hi-Adventure website.

Wandervans
    Both parks had some decent lines, but nothing to big for me to hit on my trail bike. They both seemed void of riders and to be lacking in regular maintenance.
    Well if you can hit everything at the big park with a trail bike then maybe you need to find a job in whistler or North Vancouver.

Seriously though if you want to ride the expert lines at the eagle bike park or willow lane then you will need to put some time into getting people organized and out working. The opportunity is there it just seems to lack the motivation from those who would actually ride it to work on them.

You will be hard pressed to find New England style trails in the Boise area since we really don't have much rock to work with. The riding out west is more about long uphills and long downhills and less technical on longer rides. Tablerock has the most technical trails in the immediate Boise area. Then in the winter/spring you can ride Wilson Creek trails. Bogus opens up in late may and is about a 25 minute drive from downtown with the trails being in the trees and more technical. I think the technical trails in the Stanley and Sun Valley area will certainly keep you busy. There is a DH trail at bogus, but it is not lift served.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    dblblack, thanks for the info, Dry Creek looks fun. I also checked out your site, you have some cool stuff up there. I don't mind the uphills as long as I get some downhills that make the uphills worth it. Looks like my wife and I are due to move out to Boise mid to late June. I will have to check out dry creek and the eastside trails as soon as we get settled.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
    Well if you can hit everything at the big park with a trail bike then maybe you need to find a job in whistler or North Vancouver.
    I wish we were moving to Whistler/North Vancouver, I have ridden there multiple times and love everything about that area. unfortunately, my wife couldn't get a job up that way. Boise it is, for now.
    I would love to put some time into Willow lane and Eagle bike park as soon as I get out that way. I should be settled in Boise by the end of June. Who do I talk to about working on stuff at those spots? Since they appear to be public parks, I assume that I cant just show up with a shovel and start digging, or can I?

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Who do I talk to about working on stuff at those spots? Since they appear to be public parks, I assume that I cant just show up with a shovel and start digging, or can I?
    Here is the link to the Eagle Bike Park. I don't know much about the Willow lane park, but I know several of the guys that ride/work the Eagle Bike Park. Just PM me when you get here and I can introduce you to them. BAMBA ? Boise Area Mountain Bike Association

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did a quick morning trip out to Hemmingway Butte. The only riding I have to compare it to is a little bit in the foothills and a little bit near Guffey Bridge. This was really loose and rocky. Still fun, though.

mtbr member
    So what's the area gonna look like in the beginning of April. There are six of us passing through on our way to Moab from Seattle and are hoping to find some good 2-3 hour rides around Boise. Stay in Boise that night and then push on to Moab. We all ride 5 to 6 inch rides and are in OK shape. What's the Snow level like? Are we just going to be able to ride the lowland stuff? Should we push on South ? There is a rumor you have some fast buff stuff around there. any advice will help
    Thanks
    2016 Whyte T-130C RS

mtbr member
    You can definitely get a 2-3 hr ride in starting from town even though there is still snow at the ski hill. Yes, a lot of dirt sidewalks, but there are some rocks if you know where to look. Climb up, ride down, get beer.

jalepenio jimenez
    Lots to choose from.
    No snow. No snakes.
    Bring your own dog.

5" - 6" of pogo stick betwixt yer legs...
    ...definetly Trail 4, from the top...
    ...good for a 2/3 hour stomp.

With refreshments and emergency services available at the bottom.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    Lots to choose from.
    No snow. No snakes.
    Bring your own dog.

5" - 6" of pogo stick betwixt yer legs...
    ...definetly Trail 4, from the top...
    ...good for a 2/3 hour stomp.

With refreshments and emergency services available at the bottom.
    This sounds good. Is it a shuttle?
    2016 Whyte T-130C RS

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiguy View Post
    This sounds good. Is it a shuttle?
    No suck luck.
    You get to spend the first two hours pounding dirt to the top, where depending on your starting point, will include at least 3500 feet of relatively easy but sustained climbing.
    Get yourselves a Ridge 2 Rivers trail map. All foothill trails are well presented in this map. Google the map and check it out.

mtbr member
    Thank you very much for the info Mudflap. We have our roomsbooked and will be riding there Sunday afternoon, April 6th. We don't mind climbing but since this is the first leg of a 6 day, ride everyday adventure that I will include some epics, a shuttle just sounded nice.
    FWIW....interesting avatar you have..........
    2016 Whyte T-130C RS

jalepenio jimenez
    my bad...I just looked over the Ridge 2 River trail map and Trail #4 is now an ATV trail. It's a black-diamond bike trail and is probably still riding fast, but with atv traffic, it's probably littered with loose rock. Before atv's, it was a rocking downhill - fast and greasy.
    Still, there's lots to choose from to get yourself 3 hours riding time without climbing clear to the ridge above Boise.
    If you can get directions for the start, Dry creek from milepost 12 off of Bogus Basin road, is a shuttle. It's not on any of the maps, so you'd need to check with LBS for info.
    If you post a new thread on the open discussion part of this forum (not in the sticky) for a Boise hookup to show you around, you may get more response. I just did five days in the hospital for a crime I didn't do, so haven't been in the saddle for a while.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I dislike quads but since all off road vehicles require a off road public land permit, the money goes towards maintaining trails. Since the quad owners are by far the biggest number of off road users, they get their say over all other groups. I had a discussion with a state land representative at a TVTMA meeting a few months ago and that is the bottom line. Now if the mtb community were to get on board and have new trails built just for them, they would have to come up with a public land permit fee and enforce it.
    Figure 5000 mtb bikers in the valley at 20$ a pop is 100k a year for more bike only
    trails. So the choice is better and more challenging trails for a few less beers a year.

jalepenio jimenez
    who drinks beer, anyhow?

mtbr member
    Mudflap said "If you post a new thread on the open discussion part of this forum (not in the sticky) for a Boise hookup to show you around, you may get more response."
    Good advice, I'm post something up closer to our arrival.
    ....and Did we strike a nerve somewhere along the line? Mtmitch2, I didn't feel any hate in the response about multiple use trails, just info.
    2016 Whyte T-130C RS

mtbr member
    Does anybody know about the quality of the trails right now? especially the foothills, im thinking about going next weekend if they are nice, or are they muddy. Have they even repaired them yet? like at EBP?

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainshredder456 View Post
    Does anybody know about the quality of the trails right now? especially the foothills, im thinking about going next weekend if they are nice, or are they muddy. Have they even repaired them yet? like at EBP?
    I will address the EBP trails specifically. In general they are not muddy. The exception is on the steeper north facing slopes, there is seepage that is a result of the excessive moisture in Feb/Mar. This is impacting some trails, such as Junk Yard.
    Repaired? Yes, most of the areas damaged by erosion have been repaired. This is not fully complete, but progress has been made.
    Riding next week? If current conditions continue that will not be a problem, BUT the weather forecast for the next 7 days shows rain every day. If that materializes, then it may literally put a "damper" on the riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm visiting Boise from So Cal. I've been riding around the trails at Military Preserve. They are not terribly challenging, but still delightful. I've been riding a hard tail, which is more than enough bike. The climbs are far from brutal and I've found only about 100 feet that was at all technical. There were some ruts. I could be happy here.

BTW, I did notice what looked to be a pump track along the green belt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblblack View Post
    I will address the EBP trails specifically. In general they are not muddy. The exception is on the steeper north facing slopes, there is seepage that is a result of the excessive moisture in Feb/Mar. This is impacting some trails, such as Junk Yard.
    Repaired? Yes, most of the areas damaged by erosion have been repaired. This is not fully complete, but progress has been made.
    Riding next week? If current conditions continue that will not be a problem, BUT the weather forecast for the next 7 days shows rain every day. If that materializes, then it may literally put a "damper" on the riding.
    Well thanks man for the info never noticed I got a reply until now. Well I haven't been up to EPB this summer. I'm going tomorrow. I'm sure by now the trails are already worn pretty well. Hopefully it's not to shabby though. But thanks for the info!

mtbr member

Boise Trails Information Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    I'm visiting Boise from So Cal. I've been riding around the trails at Military Preserve. They are not terribly challenging, but still delightful. I've been riding a hard tail, which is more than enough bike. The climbs are far from brutal and I've found only about 100 feet that was at all technical. There were some ruts. I could be happy here.

BTW, I did notice what looked to be a pump track along the green belt.
    Bruce, not sure if you are still around but if you are looking for some technical steep climbs look at the map and try Freestone Ridge, Crestline + Trail 4 towards Fat Tire Traverse, Hard Guy, 3 Bears, Dry Creek (not in the map), 5 Mile Gulch...

I'd rate these trails from less to most dificult climbs in the order I listed, you could also climb some motorcycle trails which can be quite challenge but I'm not really aware of current conditions. Some of the above trails are steep but not really technical, but 5 Mile Gulch at least to me is the ultimate technical/steep climb around here. You could also try Sweet Connie up and down!

Hope you are having fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    Bruce, not sure if you are still around but if you are looking for some technical steep climbs look at the map and try Freestone Ridge, Crestline + Trail 4 towards Fat Tire Traverse, Hard Guy, 3 Bears, Dry Creek (not in the map), 5 Mile Gulch...

I'd rate these trails from less to most dificult climbs in the order I listed, you could also climb some motorcycle trails which can be quite challenge but I'm not really aware of current conditions. Some of the above trails are steep but not really technical, but 5 Mile Gulch at least to me is the ultimate technical/steep climb around here. You could also try Sweet Connie up and down!

Hope you are having fun!
    I'm back home now. I sure loved Boise. The riding was great. The food was great. The people were great. I can't wait to go back. I'll make sure to post my plans in advance and maybe find a riding partner.

I think I climbed part of 3 Bears. I saw a trail marker that I'm sure said something about bears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thread hasn't seen much activity in a while, but definitely should include:

Avimor's Trail System: Avimor Trails :: Avimor- Fresh Air. Fresh Ideas.

Eagle Bike Park: https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tr...bike-park.html

Flying Sasquatch
    Eagle Bike Park is an amazing facility

jalepenio jimenez
    As a service to all current and future homies that look to this thread for information on Boise's seriously orgasmic and ever expanding R2R trail system, I have a bit of fun news for you: two new trails/segments developed this past building season, one of which we've been waiting for for quite some time.
    Throw in a nice shiny new parking lot (with comfort station no less) at the trailhead for the new Stack Rock trail and you can see some of your Foothill Levy $$$ being put to good use. (I'm speculating on the $$$ source.)
    The other trail can be found at the low end of Currant creek in the Hidden Springs system, and connects to Red Tail trail halfway up said trail.
    Both trails have some chunk and loads of banked outside corners, so braking is optional.
    The SR trail has been clocked at 3.6 miles, while the second trail is close to a mile+ I'd guess.
    Please, keep up the good work whoever is behind these trails, and surprise us with more of the same next year.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    As a service to all current and future homies that look to this thread for information on Boise's seriously orgasmic and ever expanding R2R trail system, I have a bit of fun news for you: two new trails/segments developed this past building season, one of which we've been waiting for for quite some time.
    Throw in a nice shiny new parking lot (with comfort station no less) at the trailhead for the new Stack Rock trail and you can see some of your Foothill Levy $$$ being put to good use. (I'm speculating on the $$$ source.)
    The other trail can be found at the low end of Currant creek in the Hidden Springs system, and connects to Red Tail trail halfway up said trail.
    Both trails have some chunk and loads of banked outside corners, so braking is optional.
    The SR trail has been clocked at 3.6 miles, while the second trail is close to a mile+ I'd guess.
    Please, keep up the good work whoever is behind these trails, and surprise us with more of the same next year.
    The SR and Landslide trails are indeed funded by R2R but built by Cuddy Mountain Trail Concepts. SWIMBA and USFS firefighters did a ton of work brush cutting and clearing the Stack Rock trail.

We are working on some stuff out at Avimor that will be unlike anything in the area- directional, bike designated, burly!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    ...We are working on some stuff out at Avimor that will be unlike anything in the area- directional, bike designated, burly!

Los
    I've never been real impressed with Avimor's trails. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Anyone know the status of "Pick Your Poison" in avimor?

Members who have read this thread: 26