Boise tires- Mtbr.com

Thread: Boise tires

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Boise tires

Looking for new tires to run in the foothills and velodrome.

Planning on Maxxis Ardent or High rollers. Anyone like those for our area?

Tired of goatheads. I would like to go ghetto tubeless with sealant. One of the LBS just wanted to sell me expensive slime tubes. What's the opinion around here for tubeless or tubes?

I have a new Nevegal, but I hear they don't go tubeless very well. Should I run it, or sell it?

Thanks

mtbr member
    You should not have any problems with the nevegals, they are a good tire, although they do weigh a bit. No tire is goathead proof either. I run tubless on my NRS Air with nevengals and tubes on my reign and cant really tell the difference (im no professinal though). In the foothills you can run whatever tire you want really, just pick a tire size that is suitable for your bike. Just depends on the ridng you will favor towards.

Neither setup of tubless or tubes is going to make you a better rider or help avoid goatheads so stick what you have unless you feel other wise. I have been rubbing baby powder on my tubes when installing them. i have been doing these sense i was a in elementary school and it really does help when running a lower tire pressure and helps avoid pinch flats. I do this with my dirt bikes and mountain bikes and have yet to have tube problems. Also slime tires are not a bad idea, they have saved me a few times while out riding although seems more people prefer the stans sealent, i have just not tried it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Since I cant seem to avoid goatheads, I figure I have to run sealant. If I'm running sealant anyway, I might as well save weight and go tubeless. I've always used baby powder in MX, and bikes as well. I've never had a pinch flat... ever...

Anyway, maybe I'll put the nevegal on the front, but I still need something on the back.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Tubeless (with sealant, of course) is the way to go. Self-sealing tubes work just fine, but you pay a weight penalty. Self sealing tubes are about 300g per tube, as opposed to two scoops of Stans (or some other sealant) that's less than 100g. That's nearly a half pound of rotating weight.

As for your rear tire, you didn't note what sort of bike you have, what sort of riding you do, and whether you'd prefer more bite/traction or lower weight and less rolling resistance. My own personal rule of thumb for XC bikes and riding is to run a slightly smaller and lighter rear tire than front. For example, I have one bike that's set up 2.4/2.2 front and rear and another that's 2.2/2.0. Just like going tubeless, the lower weight you put on the rear tire, the less rotating weight you're going to have to push on those long, slogging climbs. You'd be surprised at the amount of bite you get both up and down out of a rear tire with smaller knobs and lower rolling resistance

Man, I love tire discussions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've been running nevegals front and back and have been pretty happy. I've read where people are running a small block 8 on the back with the nevegal front so I picked one up and should get to try it out when the trails dry out.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Man, I love tire discussions.
    Man, I love Earthpig when he discusses tires.

Here.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 03-18-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: inappropriate content
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Man, I love Earthpig when he discusses tires.
    C'mon, we're just waiting for your oft-repeated-ad-nausem "real men ride CX bikes so here's my CX tire choice" comment.

Here's my favorite shot of Twisted Crank doing his kind of hucking. And, apparently real Grannies ride 29'er singlespeeds. With baskets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boise tires-tumblr_lht0hgpi3y1qafcrto1_500.jpg  

Last edited by Earthpig; 03-21-2011 at 10:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've run nevgals tubless for a couple years. You need to seal them with a compressor but they hold air just fine. I also really like the maxxis larsen tt. They grip well when it gets dusty but roll fast. I just bought a couple on blue sky cycling for 19.90 each. I was using the small block 8's for a while but found they wash out when it gets dusty.

Members who have read this thread: 0