Boise Riding- Mtbr.com

Thread: Boise Riding

mtbr member

Boise Riding

I live in the Sacramento, Ca area and have some friends that recently moved to Meridian, ID. My wife and I have toyed around with moving to the area because the cost of living here in Cali is ridiculous and our friends that moved up there love it. They said there is a lot of riding and skiing in the area, but they aren't mt. bikers or skiers. Can you guys shed some light on the area for me?
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    You'll hate it here. It is cheaper and friendlier. There are no jobs. "Nothing to see here..." Really, if you come here, become part of here. You'll be crucified for "Well, back in california..."

BogusBasin.net is the local ski area. It is 7 lifts with no big terain. There is Tamarac 100mi away that is supposed to be bigger plus sun valley, and brundage.

There are many miles of foothill trails out of north boise (nothing in meridian) and more trails within 1-3 hours drive that are excellent. Trust me, you'll hate it.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    i got my tags from Fish and Game for californians today. can't wait for opening day

just kiddin'. i think a lot of californians live in meridian..

just kiddin' again, but i think i'm right there. if you like to ski and mtn bike, you'll like it here.

meridian has all the new, strip mall, burbs feel. my wife went out to the new sierra trading post yesterday and she said the traffic was awesome!

eagle is the same way. new, new, new. isn't olive garden the best italian.

you're friends may just be right!

mtbr member
    So if one was living in Meridian, how long would it take to get to a good spot to ride? 30 mins?

As far as jobs go it seems like there are a lot of IT jobs in the area. Our friend is a recruiter and she said that some of the employers have some sweet relocation packages. For me the only reason I live where I do is so I can ride and ski, but don't have to live in the snow. The particular community I live in is a great place for my kids too. We jokingly call it Pleasantville! I don't have any problem living in the snow but I'd rather not have to dig my driveway out to go to work. I did my fair share of digging as a kid growing up in PA.

mtbr member
    no digging of snow required in boise.

bogus basin is 45ish minutes up the mtn. good family hill. affordable. other places to ski are tamarack, brundage and sun valley. salt lake is an easy weekend/extended weekend drive. as is targhee/jacksonhole...bend (bachelor), etc.

the foothills offer the most convenient riding. the footies are behind downtown. meridian is west, and i'd say you could be on dirt within 30 minutes easy.

if you want a "pleasantville" creepy perfect type 'hood. check out hidden springs. there are trails right out your back door (they're ok), and once they connect cartwright rd to bogus basin road, you'll be set for shooting up the mtn. to ski. as it is, it isn't bad taking hill road to bogus basin, but it is sorta going out of the way a little.

eagle backs up to the foothills too, and has close access to hwy 55 which lead up to mccall and generally the central mtns of the state.

there are some great neighborhoods in boise, and boise itself is a great city. there are lots of new neighborhoods in what is considered south boise, if you're looking for newer construction.

i guess people with kids might prefer the meridian/eagle scene. if you need a real estate agent, i can recommend someone for you. shoot me a pm.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Yes

[QUOTE=mtb_g33k]So if one was living in Meridian, how long would it take to get to a good spot to ride? 30 mins?

Yes, 30 min or less to either one of many trailheads at the Boise foothills, or to the trailhead at the Owyhees (good all mtn riding, lots of singletrack and some technical features)
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 03-01-2007 at 10:37 AM.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    I havent' been there yet. Hopefully we'll make it up there in the next month or so. Sounds like I'm going to have to bring my bike. What ride should I look into doing if I was only able to do one ride while there? What other rides would be good ones to read about to get an idea what is available there? Also what is the terrain like? I've ridden in the Portland, OR area a few times. Is the terrain around Boise simular?

King of the Barneys

Shoveling Snow? What's that?:confused:

This terrain does not compare to Portland. The Boise foothills trails, are generally dry, high desert hard pack, with few to no trees. Mostly decomposed granite and good ole dirt. Trails are extensive, often steep, rarely technical. Further up the mountain, into the trees, the trails are fast, occasionally technical, fun and varied.

you can do a few searches in this forum to find lots of pictorial ride reports to give you an idea of the terrain around here. While you're at it, look at pics from McCall, Stanley and Sun Valley for the decent riding these areas offer.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=47674
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=113700

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TERVOR THE GREAT
    If you're into more technical riding, I'd say the Tablerock area, and if not, the hulls gulch area...
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Hi!!!
    I lurk both the NorCal and Arizona forums and it seems like the NorCal area would have a plethora of opportunites compared to Boise. It seems like within a 2-4 hour radius of Sacramento there is some great riding to be found.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I lurk both the NorCal and Arizona forums and it seems like the NorCal area would have a plethora of opportunites compared to Boise. It seems like within a 2-4 hour radius of Sacramento there is some great riding to be found.
    There is a lot of good riding here, that's why I'm posting to see what's really available up there. Like I originally said, the people that are telling me there is a lot of mt. biking and skiing up there aren't skiers or bikers....so thier word to me is about worthless. I figure they are just trying to sell me on how great their new neighborhood is etc. That is expected, I do the same thing with the community that I live in. We all think our stuff is the best, that's why we chose it right.

However I am obviously toying around with the idea of moving. I really like the weather and riding that is around this area. But the cost of living is ridiculous. That's the best word I can use. It seems as though salaries for my job don't sway too much in the different regions of the US that I have looked at. I haven't done a lot of research just a few dice.com or craigslist searches to see what the positions were offering salary wise. I have seen the price of homes in the Meridian area and they are easily between $100,00 and $200,000 cheaper. That's a big difference on the monthly payment to have the same size home. From what our friend purchased the lot was way bigger, and there were numerous upgrades included in their home that we will be saving for to do in the home we have purchased here for a lot more (granite countertops, etc.)

At this point I have never even been up there but have seen other people post in the NorCal board asking for advice to moving to our area so I figured it would be worth a shot to see what people have to say about the Boise area.

With that being said does anyone have any opinions or comments about the area that you would tell someone that was considering moving there? Good or bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_g33k
    With that being said does anyone have any opinions or comments about the area that you would tell someone that was considering moving there? Good or bad.
    I lived the SF Bay Area for about 10 years. I think that the trails there are probably a little nicer and varied, however, they're a pain to get to - they are spread out with lots of traffic in between. From downtown Boise, I can be on a trail 15 minutes after work, and never get in my car. In the Bay area, after work, I loaded my bike on my car and drove 30 minutes to an hour to ride. So while the trails might not be quite as nice, I can spend a lot more time on them here - which to me is a huge plus!

Within a few hours drive of Boise, there are trails that are as nice as anywhere you'd ever ride. The Boulder White Clouds (150 northest of here) are as nice as anything that you'll find at Tahoe. And like Tahoe, it's only ridable in the summer due to snow.

I perfer Boise to the lower cost of living, the closeness of everything outdoors, and a great outdoor community (something that I never saw in my time in the bay area). California has a lot of options, but trying to reach them on a Friday night is never fun (the traffic is horrible), and once you're there a million other people had the same idea. The entire state of Idaho has about as many people as the city of San Jose, so it's easier to find and "undiscovered" place.

The downside of Boise is that people looking to get "the most house for the least amout of money" are creating a city that is rapidly turing into uncontrolled sprawl. A lot of what makes Boise cool, will slowly diappear over the coming years, and we'll end up looking like a small version of Denver (which at one point and time was likely a nice place). Open space is rapidly being converted to subdivisions, and the foothills are slowly turning into suburbia.

If you like the outdoors, you'll love Boise. And if you love the outdoors and move here, please don't contribute to turning it into more 1/4 acre lots and strip malls.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

liver abuser
    Ok, let's be honest. The Boise foothill trails will take you more than 30 minutes to access from Mer-ville. Not much more, but more. Bogus is an hour drive, from my house on Hill rd. Boise is year around riding, but is a little bit boring, both road and mtb. The one thing that Boise has is a good downtown and good access to better riding (the Bogus trails and Stanley, SV, etc...). It is not heaven on earth, but for a mix of urban and rural, there is not much better. but you will miss that if you live in Meridian. Meridian is nothing but a big parking lot with houses.

Rocks Rock
    If you like anything technical and you would like to be able to ride your bike to the dirt in say 15 minutes from your house you should consider looking for housing in South East Boise. Near Table Rock. The only schools you would have to be carefull of are far away from good riding out in Nampa and west of there. Hidden Springs is very nice, but I could not aford to live there three years ago, it maybe more comparable to Columbia Village now. If your kids go to school in Meridian they may end up in a class that is mostly Morman and may feel excluded sometimes. That would only happen in certain neiborhoods I am sure.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    There is a lot of good riding here, that's why I'm posting to see what's really available up there. Like I originally said, the people that are telling me there is a lot of mt. biking and skiing up there aren't skiers or bikers....so thier word to me is about worthless. I figure they are just trying to sell me on how great their new neighborhood is etc. That is expected, I do the same thing with the community that I live in. We all think our stuff is the best, that's why we chose it right.

However I am obviously toying around with the idea of moving. I really like the weather and riding that is around this area. But the cost of living is ridiculous. That's the best word I can use. It seems as though salaries for my job don't sway too much in the different regions of the US that I have looked at. I haven't done a lot of research just a few dice.com or craigslist searches to see what the positions were offering salary wise. I have seen the price of homes in the Meridian area and they are easily between $100,00 and $200,000 cheaper. That's a big difference on the monthly payment to have the same size home. From what our friend purchased the lot was way bigger, and there were numerous upgrades included in their home that we will be saving for to do in the home we have purchased here for a lot more (granite countertops, etc.)

At this point I have never even been up there but have seen other people post in the NorCal board asking for advice to moving to our area so I figured it would be worth a shot to see what people have to say about the Boise area.

I am from Los Angeles so I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to cost of living. I moved here about four years ago and love it! We moved to Eagle, right next to Meridian. Both are great towns for families but kind of quiet compared to what I was used to in LA. The homes are nice, new and inexpensive, compared to CA.

I ski and ride both MTB and Moto. The MTB scene is fairly new to me as I have been riding for about 2 years or so. The trail system here is extensive and varies from nice single track to some moderate technical riding. Tamerack and Brundage, about 2 hours or so from Boise, offer both single track and DH stuff that is lift assisted. There is also Sun Valley, about three hours away, which offers some of the most epic single track you will find. I have not been there yet, but I am sure many on this board will concur. The freeride scene is growing in Boise as well. Not to the Nocal level, but growing.

The Skiing here is great! Bogus is about an hour away, Brundage and Tamerack about 2.2.5 hour drive. All are nice and offer terrain for all.

The weather here is no CA but it is mild to say the least. Winters to me are shorter than I expected and nearly as cold or wet. I can tell you that everyone who has come up from CA to visit would move here in a heartbeat if they could.

I would recommend you take a trip up and see for yourself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I live in Sonoma County California. There is some great riding within an hour. (Annadel-Boggs-China Camp-Mt. Tam) I have been going up the Boise area every year for the last ten. I finally got the nerve to list my house for sale if all works well I'll be out of here in June. There is plenty of riding in the Boise area. The foothills are great and the McCall area is unreal. The only thing I might miss are those winter road rides through Marin and San Francisco. My only concern was riding in the cold (30 or below) I have that worked out so I have no problems. It's time for a change. This place is crazy the traffic sucks, the people are less than friendly, and I can't wait to get my kids out of these schools. I have several friends who have moved to the Treasure Valley and they all love the place. See you there!

mtbr member
    I've spent the last hour looking at houses online...it just blows me away what you can get up there compared to what I payed well over $500,000 for here. I guess I really need to go up there and check it out. Looks like Eagle is a pretty damn nice and outside of the city a little. I think that town is closer to what I'd prefer.

Pantera: I ride in Auburn most of the time, Haven't been to Annadel yet, but may go this weekend. I have a friend that rides there a lot and says that it's good riding. Have you ridden Auburn? If so would you consider the Boise area comprable?

I understand that some of the places that people are talking about are kinda far away and wouldn't be your regular weekend rides. But, that's what I'm really intrested in....How are the trails that I'd be riding most of the time. To kinda put it into perspective Downieville has 20+ miles of Downhill. You go there get a shuttle and ride down. You could climb it...but not many do. The thing is it is only about 2.5 hours away from me. But I didn't go at all last summer. Tahoe has some awesome rides that are only about 2 hours away, but I was only up there once over the summer. I'm married with kids (6&4) so the wife and fam keep most of my rides to the out the backdoor local trails for a quick fire road cardio type ride, or the longer weekend stuff that I can do and be back by 2 or 3 pm. I may sneak out for a better after work ride when the sun is up longer, but once again that wouldn't be too far from home. I'm sure some of you guys can relate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've spent the last hour looking at houses online...it just blows me away what you can get up there compared to what I payed well over $500,000 for here. I guess I really need to go up there and check it out. Looks like Eagle is a pretty damn nice and outside of the city a little. I think that town is closer to what I'd prefer.

Pantera: I ride in Auburn most of the time, Haven't been to Annadel yet, but may go this weekend. I have a friend that rides there a lot and says that it's good riding. Have you ridden Auburn? If so would you consider the Boise area comprable?

I understand that some of the places that people are talking about are kinda far away and wouldn't be your regular weekend rides. But, that's what I'm really intrested in....How are the trails that I'd be riding most of the time. To kinda put it into perspective Downieville has 20+ miles of Downhill. You go there get a shuttle and ride down. You could climb it...but not many do. The thing is it is only about 2.5 hours away from me. But I didn't go at all last summer. Tahoe has some awesome rides that are only about 2 hours away, but I was only up there once over the summer. I'm married with kids (6&4) so the wife and fam keep most of my rides to the out the backdoor local trails for a quick fire road cardio type ride, or the longer weekend stuff that I can do and be back by 2 or 3 pm. I may sneak out for a better after work ride when the sun is up longer, but once again that wouldn't be too far from home. I'm sure some of you guys can relate.
    Tamerack and Brundage sound like Downieviile. Tam. and Brundage hold DH races each year and you ride the lift up to the top. Lots of fun DH runs and getting better every year. As for Boise, you get off work at five and ride until the sun sets if you want, which is about 9:30 or so in the summer. One thing is gets hot in the summer. The drive to the foothills from Meridian is northing compared to what you are used to. 30 minutes to the trails... who cares. At least you can get to them easily. During the weekend you also have some great trails up at Bogus Basin. In fact, if you just want some basic single track stuff you have it at Hidden Springs, which is about a 15 minute drive from Eagle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114
    In fact, if you just want some basic single track stuff you have it at Hidden Springs, which is about a 15 minute drive from Eagle.
    Better yet, ride your bike there. It's better to ride ot the trails than to drive. The ride over the hill is a good pre-trail workout.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

My two bits.

Live closer in than Eagle. If you move to Eagle, you'll be part of Boise's growing traffic pattern (which appears to be one of the things which has made you consider moving). Also, the things which you are moving from will be thing you are contributing to, if you move to Eagle. That make sense???

If you live close to downtown, you'll actually get to WALK to get dinner or a whatever when the weather is nice. If you live closer in to downtown Boise, you can ride a cruiser, or walk, to events and not contribute to the overall traffic patterns which we all hate...and which appears to be one of the reasons you are choosing to move. Imagine riding your bike with your child following you in his/hers to an ice cream shop...that is a memory worth having...and one which can't be had in other parts of this town. Like others have said, why spend 30 minutes driving to the trail when you can spend that time riding to to the trail???

Eagle may have a better quality of living than your current area...but I think if you live closer to downtown Boise, you'll have a better quality of living than Eagle.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

just a man
    HI mtb_g33k,

Check your PM's, I just sent you one.

b4x

mtbr member

depends on where your work is.

i.e. doesn't make sense to have a long commute just because it'll be shorter than what you had in cali. sprawl is bad!!!!!! if anyone is curious, they can look at the data Compass has compiled on traffic in our valley. all the jobs are on the east end, and moving towards meridian..and all the people live west. that's a problem. glad i don't deal with it. fortunately for my wife and me, we live in SONO (south of north, pseudo north end), and she works at St. Lukes, and I work up on Federal Way bench (damn i have a nice view of bogus and downtown from my window..). commuting by bike or walking and carpooling is easy for us. we only fill our gas tanks once every 3 weeks, and that's because we drive up to bogus. summer is different because we escape to the mtns. on the weekends to beat the heat. anyway, enough about me.

make sure you talk down the price. that house isn't worth what they're asking. the market is slowing down relatively - even though more subdivisions are being platted all the time. the sale of lots and new houses is slowing out in the burbs. not that you wouldn't be a smart buyer, but, it seems like y'all are all giddy about "how much more house you can get compared to california"...well, yeah...we don't get paid as much up here. people here are "stuck" in their current homes partly because of californians contributing to the rise of housing prices. again, you aren't going to make the same coin up here that you made down there. california needs to get on the same inflation page that the rest of us are on.

other than that. as a fellow transplant from the dirty south. welcome to les bois.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Better yet, ride your bike there. It's better to ride ot the trails than to drive. The ride over the hill is a good pre-trail workout.

Agree.

mtbr member
    Depending on where you settle, a move from Sacramento isn't going to be a huge difference in cost of living. Sacramento isn't the most expensive place in the world, and parts of the Boise area have similar home prices. SE and the north end, for example. I was curious this morning, so I looked up the cost of living index. Sac is 11.6% more expensive then Boise. In contrast, LA is 28.6% and San Diego 30.8% more. Anyway, just a heads up...

I agree with some above posts, that I would tend to look closer to Boise. The north end would be great for a biker/skier. I'm in SE Boise, and ride to the foothills from my house a few times a week.

Also, the skiing is great around here. Less then an hour to the local place, with great night skiing. Around two hours to a handful of bigger places, including Sun Valley, Tamerack and Brundege. 5 of so hours and you can get to the Salt Lake powder mecca. 1 hour and you can be hiking by yourself with skis on your back for some backcountry hills.

By the way, what kind of work do you do?

Hi!!!
    This is our local trail system:
    http://www.ridgetorivers.org/

As others have mentioned...there are other known areas.

Tamarack:
    http://www.tamarackidaho.com/summer_...king/index.php

Brundage:
    http://www.brundage.com/summer-activ...in-biking.aspx

Sun Valley...this is for the resort itself (you need to pull up the trail maps):
    http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/i...n.tmap.st.aspx

Idaho City Park & Ski areas:
    http://www.idahoparks.org/assets/con...e%20Trails.pdf

During the winter when the Foothills ain't rideable, many folks head out to the Owyhees. No maps to speak. Just gotta either go out there with someone "in the know" or just start exploring yourself.

Also....some hearty folks will head east of Boise to ride in the Danskins.
    http://www.idaho-ohv.org/maps/danskin.pdf

And if you are armed with a map and have good backcountry skills, you can also explore the trails in our national forests.

Boise NF:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/boise/recreation/index.shtml

Payette NF:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/payette/recreation/index.shtml

Sawtooth NF (but motorized vehicles are banned in the Sawtooth Wilderness):
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sawtooth/recreation/

Definately great riding in the resort areas of McCall, Ketchum/Sun Valley, and Stanley.

If you want to waste ALOT of time....just start surfing through this forum and look for pix and threads over the past couple of years.

Oh....don't move to Caldwell. Well unless you want to live in my trailer court then all is well.

And please, please, please do your best to stymie the runaway **** of a mess that is known as Eagle Road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Live closer in than Eagle. If you move to Eagle, you'll be part of Boise's growing traffic pattern (which appears to be one of the things which has made you consider moving). Also, the things which you are moving from will be thing you are contributing to, if you move to Eagle. That make sense???

If you live close to downtown, you'll actually get to WALK to get dinner or a whatever when the weather is nice. If you live closer in to downtown Boise, you can ride a cruiser, or walk, to events and not contribute to the overall traffic patterns which we all hate...and which appears to be one of the reasons you are choosing to move. Imagine riding your bike with your child following you in his/hers to an ice cream shop...that is a memory worth having...and one which can't be had in other parts of this town. Like others have said, why spend 30 minutes driving to the trail when you can spend that time riding to to the trail???

Eagle may have a better quality of living than your current area...but I think if you live closer to downtown Boise, you'll have a better quality of living than Eagle.

Visicypher is a smart guy. Listen to him.

Barneys Unite!

I agree with Visicypher and Laffeaux . . .

unless you just happen to like stereotypical suburbia, move to Boise proper rather than the Meridian/Eagle sprawl-o-plex. There are some nice homes out that way, particularly in Eagle, but the traffic is rapidly getting out of hand (not to mention the attendant pollution problems caused by all that traffic).

I live in SE Boise, and I can be on some our most popular trails with a 15-20 minute bike ride. There are also many different types of neighborhoods (with varying property values) in Boise.

HTH

eye yam naught smert. I dew valu a hi kwalete of livin witch I defin az spendin as much time on my bik as possibl. I dew wish dat de guvmint wuz plannin fer mer suztanibl grof witch incorpiratd mor publik trainzpertashun en bettr zonin.

Rode thru Bown Crossing the other day. I'll have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how that turned out. It actually felt like a neighborhood/part of the community...as opposed to the token strip mall development.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Chris,
    well said, very accurate portrayal. If he moves to Meridian he'll be closer to the Owyhees or still the foothills.

King of the Barneys
    If you lived in Meridian, and were close to freeway access, then you could be parked and unloading your bike in less than 20 minutes, easy, whether you were going to the 8th St., trailheads, the Military Reserve area, or Tablerock. It's a straight shot, and after work, for example, you'd be driving against traffic, which would all be leaving downtown when you're heading into downtown. Also, you could be at Stack Rock or Eastside, a couple very fun trails up the hill in the woods, in under an hour from Meridian, barring any unusual delays on the freeway or on the way up Bogus Basin rd.

There are lots of pictures posted on this board of all these areas to give you a taste of what the trails are like.

hth, eh?

I often drive down to the trails from where I work at Orchard & the Freeway (far south of downtown), and even in "bad" traffic times, I'm unloading the bike within 20 to 30 minutes, and I have to go through a zillion lights, etc. rather than just hopping on the freeway and zooming in.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Barneys Unite!

Bown Crossing is pretty cool . . .

and there are certainly some mondo homes there, although I prefer a place with a larger yard.

The cafe, Kessler's, has a pretty decent breakfast menu, too, in a yuppish sorta way.

Bown Crossing certainhly seems to be working out better than Anderson Ranch

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I showed Bown to my cousin the other day - haven't been in there in a while and it looks awesome. My Mom is an experienced urban planner and I was telling her about that area - a great example of mixed development done really nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TFloyd
    Bown Crossing certainhly seems to be working out better than Anderson Ranch
    You mean Harris Ranch? Hopefully Lucky 13 brings a little business there way, otherwise there's nothing (I refused to go into "Me Time" coffee based up on the name).

Bown Crossing seems to have be well done. Hopefully that becomes the model for future development in the region. The high profile areas - Harris Ranch and Hidden Springs - have failed in bringing much of the "new urbanism" that was promised; hopefully Avimor will be successful in their attempt. Bown Crossing is a smaller scale and (so far) successful example for others to look at. I really hope that it's a sign of things to come.

Barneys Unite!

Yep, I meant Harris Ranch.

I'm having one of those days. They get more frequent as I get older.

mtbr member
    I'm definitely intrested in the area. Someone mentioned not getting over-sold on a house up there because the price is less then what it is here. I totally know what you mean. No worries there. As far as commuting...I looked at google maps and it's only like 10 miles from Boise to Eagle. Right now I'm driving 55 miles each way. I live in a small golf course community that is outside of Sacramento. Personally I'd rather not be in the city. It's not really my cup of tea. Honestly I don't really go "out to the city" much as it is. Someone asked what I do.... I'm an IT manager for an engineering firm. It's not a huge company so I do a lot of the System Adminsitration as well as the managerial stuff...like surfing the net and posting on here.

Hi!!!
    As far as commuting...I looked at google maps and it's only like 10 miles from Boise to Eagle.
    Depending on what time you drive it and where you work....it can be a royal PITA. Eagle Road or State Street anyone?! But probably compared to you folks that come from larger areas...probably not a big deal.

Two great things off the top of my head that are cool about eagle.....
    Reed's Cycle....Transition, Yeti, Raleigh, Diamond Bike dealer.
    And right next door....Eagle Rib Shack. Mmmmm!!!!!!!! Love their smashed potatoes and bbq'd meat!!!!

Right now I'm driving 55 miles each way.
    I'm about 35 miles one way each day. Ugh.

I live in a small golf course community that is outside of Sacramento.
    I live in a trailer court community outside of Caldwell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It is only ten miles and not a big deal. I drive it all the time. I always thought it was funny when I met someone from Boise and when you mention going to Eagle they acted like it was a trip around the world. I guess it is all perspective and what you are used to.

Boise Downtown and the surrounding community is really nice. Great houses, close to the foothills etc... It is just very different then Eagle. Eagle has more of the traditional "burbs" feel to it. Lots of horses and homes on multi acre lots. It also seems to be the place where a bunch of Californians settle. I don't know if that is good or bad but just my perception. I know it was mentioned, but when you visit you should check out Hidden Springs as well. For some reason it gets slammed a lot on this board, I have know idea why, but it is worth a look. It is pretty much its own community. I have to admit it is a bit "pleasantville-ish"
    Last edited by jimi1114; 02-28-2007 at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=jimi1114]It is only ten miles and not a big deal. I drive it all the time. I always thought it was funny when I met someone from Boise and when you mention going to Eagle they acted like it was a trip around the world. I guess it is all perspective and what you are used to.

This attitude is exactly what is creating our urban sprawl problem here, right now 10 miles isn't that far of a drive, and pretty soon a 55 mile drive is fine when it's not necessary. All the time adding to our air quality problems.

To the original post, downtown Boise is not like most big cities, so just because you think you don't like the city don't rule it out. Like other have said, the best part about the mt. biking here is the close proximity of trails, so to waste that by living far out is a shame. If you truly value your time riding I think this would be an important part of you decision. Also, it allows more time with the fam if you don't add an hour to the ride for commute.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Hidden Springs

Hidden Springs is great.......if you don't mind movie set-like living and following the signs to the landfill on the way home every day.......

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I recommend the scallops.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Just live within 5 miles of where you work so the sprawl doesn't make this valley like every other place in nation.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I've got some good friends who live in downtown Boise, and they love it. The wife loves ridieng her cruiser to work and for errands.

mtbr member
    Just live within 5 miles of where you work so the sprawl doesn't make this valley like every other place in nation.
    al, when's the last time you were out in meridian? it's already like every other place in the nation.

just be glad you have roots in the east end. we're so glad we're in SONO. it is nice living and working downtown and in the old neighborhoods. no traffic. no 4 car garages. foothills. boise river. locally owned restaurants and stores. (there are some, ya know).

on that subject...why on earth that chain spaghetti warehouse or factory is going in right next door to louie's is beyond me. seems city council could have stopped that or discouraged that somehow. west downtown, near my hood, or the new linen district needs more than donnie macs and the spearmint rhino.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    al, when's the last time you were out in meridian? it's already like every other place in the nation.
    I've never been to Meridian. Ever.

It's a shame cos the Sierra Trading Post (i.e., gear for god) is out there.

I've ridden my bike through Eagle. Lots of the houses out there are obscene.

over researcher

I wish I could convince my wife of this. She wants to buy a place where there is a community pool. Say what!? That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. I've lived in Southern California since 2002, and sold my house this last December. We're planning on moving up in July or August. I'd like to move to a place where I can turn my sons loose with a pellet rifle without the city folk neighbors getting scared out of their wits.

My wife grew up in Yorba Linda, CA, and I grew up on a 120 acre ranch near Yreka, CA, smack dab middle of the State of Jefferson. With a population of about 7500, Yreka is a very conservative, low frills town. Siskiyou County has a population of about 47,500. She and I have lived in Ashland, OR and Eugene, OR prior to moving to Corona, CA for a job that I would commute to in Tustin, CA. I'm looking for more small town feel, and less urban sprawl. Boise sounds good to me, though probably not the best for crazed pellet rifle wielding kids, but she's set on Eagle or Meridian. I have a good friend from Eugene who moved to Star. One thing that I can agree on though, is that the quality of schools are very important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I've never been to Meridian. Ever.

It's a shame cos the Sierra Trading Post (i.e., gear for god) is out there.

I've ridden my bike through Eagle. Lots of the houses out there are obscene.
    my wife went out to the new Sierra Trading post...and she said it wasn't anything special.

guess you can order from the catalog, and if what you order doesn't work for you, you can take it back to the store. meridian is sac! eagle is nice in parts. the downtown is pretty cool. heard the eagle rib shack is moving....possibly out of eagle now because of an issue with tents they put up in their patio area....city council is buggin' 'em. they planned to stay in eagle (just find a larger location), but they are pissed now and may leave all together (read it in the statesman, i think)

other restaurant rumors. once sucky 13 leaves hyde park and moves out to harris ranch. i heard a rumor (well, first hand from guy/garth) that possibly guidos will open a pizza joint in the front and let the garage have the back. it would not be called guidos...but the same owners. they would not do beer at all at guidos..they'd leave that to the garage. whether or not this will happen...we'll see. but, guidos pizza is a zillion times better than sucky 13s (imo), so that would be a good thing. either way...that place will become a pizza place because hyde park needs a pizza place.

keeping it going. so, harry's of hyde park is no longer harry's (been that way for a while). it's now hyde park grill and bar or something like that. they still have the same harry's posters up.. the menu is revamped, but the food is exactly the same, and their beer is still cold. but, i guess Harry's opened in meridian...and that's the official Harry's now. the same dude owns harry's of hyde park (err..hyde park grill), but, the other owners didn't want to share the name Harry's.

fine. people from meridian can have their harry's...just stay outta boise.

sharing the love
    my wife went out to the new Sierra Trading post...and she said it wasn't anything special.

guess you can order from the catalog, and if what you order doesn't work for you, you can take it back to the store. meridian is sac! eagle is nice in parts. the downtown is pretty cool. heard the eagle rib shack is moving....possibly out of eagle now because of an issue with tents they put up in their patio area....city council is buggin' 'em. they planned to stay in eagle (just find a larger location), but they are pissed now and may leave all together (read it in the statesman, i think)

other restaurant rumors. once sucky 13 leaves hyde park and moves out to harris ranch. i heard a rumor (well, first hand from guy/garth) that possibly guidos will open a pizza joint in the front and let the garage have the back. it would not be called guidos...but the same owners. they would not do beer at all at guidos..they'd leave that to the garage. whether or not this will happen...we'll see. but, guidos pizza is a zillion times better than sucky 13s (imo), so that would be a good thing. either way...that place will become a pizza place because hyde park needs a pizza place.

keeping it going. so, harry's of hyde park is no longer harry's (been that way for a while). it's now hyde park grill and bar or something like that. they still have the same harry's posters up.. the menu is revamped, but the food is exactly the same, and their beer is still cold. but, i guess Harry's opened in meridian...and that's the official Harry's now. the same dude owns harry's of hyde park (err..hyde park grill), but, the other owners didn't want to share the name Harry's.

hater...
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    I have a good friend from Eugene who moved to Star. One thing that I can agree on though, is that the quality of schools are very important.
    I moved from Eugene to Boise as well. Never for one day have I regretted the move. And that's not to say that I didn't like Eugene.

There are communities with pools that have easy access to the foothills. I'm sure there are a bunch but 2 I can think of in the SE area are Surprise Valley and Harris Ranch. Both are foothills accessable (for pellet gun hooligans) and have pool(s).

mtbr member
    There is a Harry's on Parkcenter for the Boise folks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebdi
    hater...
    lmao....hate, hate, hate

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Get me a greaseburger, some onion rings and a butterscotch shake from Hawkins Pac Out and I'm just peachy. Perky even.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Do
    There are communities with pools that have easy access to the foothills. I'm sure there are a bunch but 2 I can think of in the SE area are Surprise Valley and Harris Ranch. Both are foothills accessable (for pellet gun hooligans) and have pool(s).
    Somerset Ridge up in the Foothills has a pool or two. And I *think* Columbia Village has a pool too (although impdude would be best to answer that one). River Run also has a community pool and tennis court.

Man....I shoulda bought my house in Columbia Village when they were cheap back in the mid-90s. Trailer park living ain't as glamorous as it looked on TV . Ehhh it suits me though.

I've grown up in this valley for most of my life and have witnessed the crazy growth. Remember back in the days when you could drive down Chinden to/from Canyon County and all you saw was farmland? Remember when anything south of Meridian was nothing?

I sat in on a ITD budget presentation last month and they showed overhead photographs of the growth this valley has seen over the past couple of decades. As it's been mentioned before....the majority of it is west and south of downtown. Nuts. I think those pix are the same ones that COMPASS has used in the past.

Growth is inevitable in places like the Treasure Valley. It may not be the "right" kind of growth, but it's gonna happen.

Nick
    Who misses his old place off of Parkcenter and Pennsylvania.

mtbr member

on that subject...why on earth that chain spaghetti warehouse or factory is going in right next door to louie's is beyond me. seems city council could have stopped that or discouraged that somehow. west downtown, near my hood, or the new linen district needs more than donnie macs and the spearmint rhino.
    Ummm... The "spaghetti warehouse" is not moving next to Louie's. All I'm saying is that if you like Louie's, you'd better eat there quickly, because it's soon going to gone. Louie's was cool.

The new place goes on my list of places where I'll not bother to eat (much like PF Chang's). Downtown Boise is (was?) cool because it's a not like Everywhere, USA. Downtown is a collection of mostly locally owned business that are unique. When you are in downtown Boise, it's obvious that you're in Boise. The minute you walk into PF Chang's, you're instantly transported to suburban Denver, Atlanta, Orlando, etc. There's absolutely nothing unique about the experience - you're sharing what every other American can experience at lunch/dinner, instead of something that only a Boisean could experience. I was hoping that Chang's was an anomaly, but the Spaghetti Warehouse is moving in now - very bad news for Boise IMO.

As for "the mall area", Meridian, Eagle, and other western suburbs.. I don't think they ever aspired to be anything but bland American. You could drop Meridian into the suburbs of any American city, and it would not stand out (good or bad) as anything special. There's absolutely nothing spectacular about it.

Boise is projected to grow by 60% in the next 20-25 years (that's 300,000 new faces). We have the opportunity to build an urban area that is special and unique. Let's not blow it by using the same blueprint that nearly every other American city has selected. Let's look at the good things about the Treasure Valley and make sure that they remain. Let's look at area that we don't want to become, and not follow their model.

Boise has the foothills. Let's preserve them. I think that turning Bogus Basin road into suburbia is not a wise idea, yet we're already starting to do it.

Boise has relatively low traffic. However unless we build more densely, and along corridors that can be served by public transportation, it's going to get significantly worse. If you don't like "city life" yet you live in the suburbs, you are the one creating the "bad" aspects of city life: traffic, pollution, noise, etc.

The personal choices that we make determine what our city will look like. When Boise is 60% larger, do you want that growth to be a dense urban core with unique outdoor activities surrounding it? Or do you want it to be housing tracts as far you can see, where you can live near work and drive an hour to escape the urban area, or live at the edge and drive an hour or two to work every day?

I love Boise, because I can walk or ride my bike to downtown in 10 minutes. I can ride my bike to the foothill bike trails in 5 minutes. I have a huge park that I can walk to in 10 minutes. I have a coffee shop, several restaurants, and a bar that I can walk to in under 10 minutes. When I sit on my porch people walk by and say hi. People are friendly, and places that I want to go are nearby. I opted not to live in a place where I don't need to drive a steel box with four tires to every place that I want to go - but we're now building a place where that's required. A hermetically sealed airconditioned home, connected to a hermetically sealed garage, that houses my hermetically sealed car, that takes me to my hermetically sealed mall or work place sounds like a living hell.

So move here if you want, but don't bring the problems that you're fleeing with you.

/rant

mtbr member
    Ummm... The "spaghetti warehouse" is not moving next to Louie's. All I'm saying is that if you like Louie's, you'd better eat there quickly, because it's soon going to gone. Louie's was cool.

/rant

it's not? i'm confused here. i know i have seen the spaghetti warehouse signs next to louies.

one's italian....the other's italian. makes sense to put the new restaurant right beside the landmark restaurant.

yum. ate eagle rib shack for lunch. i was out there at a job site just up willow creek. 60 acres split 4 ways for mansions. would be nice if there weren't already homes on the hillsides. either way, it was nice out there. nice views of the boise ridge from that area.

so, at the eagle rib shack...i got the burnt ends special. came with two sides..i chose the smashed loaded taters and the baked beans. added a half pound of pulled pork and met my wife back in boise for lunch. this was more than enough food for us, btw. pretty nice portions, and got it all for 15+ bucks.

first time i've ever been there. i'm a southern boy, so, i sorta grew up eating bbq.

so, here is my little review. the burnt ends isn't exactly choice meat. but, with the smoke flavor from cooking and the sauce it was basted with...shoot a turd would taste good (similar to most things fried tasting good). the pulled pork was higher quality pig, but he could have done a better job of squeezin' the fat outta the meat while it was being pulled. i know, it takes some extra effort. the sides were excellent.

just my opinion. they could offer up some more sides, and it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over priced; but, competition isn't here to lower the price, so, that's what we get...well, i take that back...11-12 bucks would have been more reasonable.

in no way am i dogging out the Eagle Rib Shack. it was a great lunch, and i will definately go there again.. but, i have high standards coming from Carolina.

lastly, and i know the sauce is good, very good. but, it's just glorified ketchup. i'm in favor of mustard based and vinegar based bbq...leave the maters out.

/bbq rant

bike related content: Eagle Rib Shack would make an excellent post ride meal.
    Last edited by garnetspur; 02-28-2007 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    it's not? i'm confused here. i know i have seen the spaghetti warehouse signs next to louies.
    The new restaurant is not open yet. They're taking over Louie's restaurant and expanding it to include the property that was to the east. I'm not sure when Louie's will be closing, and the new place opening, but from the looks of the construction work, it's not more than a couple of months away.

and... BBQ = good

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong:

This is a year old, but it says that Louie's will remain open. That's not what I've heard, but I hope the info in the article is still good. Disregard what I've said, as it might be incorrect.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=162835
    Last edited by laffeaux; 02-28-2007 at 02:31 PM.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    beg to differ ( name that band)
    I live in merville and could be riding within 20 min in the foothills, and I drive like a grandma.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Say hello to my little friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    The new restaurant is not open yet. They're taking over Louie's restaurant and expanding it to include the property that was to the east. I'm not sure when Louie's will be closing, and the new place opening, but from the looks of the construction work, it's not more than a couple of months away.

and... BBQ = good

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong:

This is a year old, but it says that Louie's will remain open. That's not what I've heard, but I hope the info in the article is still good. Disregard what I've said, as it might be incorrect.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=162835
    i've been to city council meetings...and eberle is the only one that seems to have a brain. the others are not qualified, imo, but, i'm afraid qualified folks don't want that job. eberle has had good input and conflict resolution ideas at the meetings i've been at. that tibbs guy...moron. the ladies...they both like to beat up men. i'm skeered of 'em. and the mayor is a lawyer...what do you expect from someone from that profession (no offense earthpig, etc.).

sounds to me like city council wants a new streetscape...and will allow a money bags chain plop down if they will "improve" the street.

maybe eberle is sticking up for the establishment that's been there forever. it sure as hell doesn't make sense to put another italian joint (especially a watered down, boring, bland, stale chain italian joint) next to a place that's stood the test of time (before downtown boise started it's renaissance). maybe eberle is for diversified eateries throughout downtown; and that's why he voted NO!.

but, sounds to me like the owner of louie's is dug in, and he's ready to go to war with the big bad chain.

go LOUIE's...you've got my coin.

mtbr member
    Man...I didn't know I'd be getting resturant reviews too! You guys are awesome. LOL Thanks a million for all the great information. I'll hit up the ID board when I'm about to head up that way so one of you guys can take me on the worst trail there to keep me from bringing my "urban sprawl" disease. Thanks again! I'm sure I got more quality information here then I'll get anywhere else. So if any of you are heading down to Tahoe or the Sacramento area hit up the NorCal board and or me personally and I'll do my best to show you our worst trail

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    and the mayor is a lawyer...what do you expect from someone from that profession (no offense earthpig, etc.)...
    F_ck. I swore I would NOT post in this tired, useless, painful thread, but if you're going to engage in typical lawyer bashing and then mention me by username, well...

Bottom line - Boise was a nice city at some point before we all moved here - probably back when Visi, Buddha, MarkV and others had the footies and Owyhees to themselves and the Neurolux was the only bar downtown to serve PBR.

Now? It's Generica, USA. Sad, but typical. Fight it and you'll be like this guy:

Is it spring yet? Can we ride our bikes yet????

F_ck.

Yes Senor Piggy. It was different back in those days, but that was a long time ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    F_ck. I swore I would NOT post in this tired, useless, painful thread, but if you're going to engage in typical lawyer bashing and then mention me by username, well...
    hey..sue me..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Aww Eric, you blowing things out of proportion a bit (hermetically sealed?). I do understand what you are saying, but there's no stopping it, anywhere in the world really. Hopefully, this city/town/county will plan properly, and the growth will look nice.

As for Spaghetti factory, and Cheesecake factory too - I am glad their here, makes me feel like I'm in Newport Beach But I do agree with you - it's weird/not right that they are going to destroy? Louis? Maybe not..... And I have only eat at Cheesecake one time a long ass time ago in Fashion Island and it was pretty good.

I'll proclaim what I want to see come in here: Trader Joes!!!!

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Aww Eric, you blowing things out of proportion a bit (hermetically sealed?). I do understand what you are saying, but there's no stopping it, anywhere in the world really. Hopefully, this city/town/county will plan properly, and the growth will look nice.

As for Spaghetti factory, and Cheesecake factory too - I am glad their here, makes me feel like I'm in Newport Beach But I do agree with you - it's weird/not right that they are going to destroy? Louis? Maybe not..... And I have only eat at Cheesecake one time a long ass time ago in Fashion Island and it was pretty good.

I'll proclaim what I want to see come in here: Trader Joes!!!!
    To me, no matter what I order from Cheesecake Factory, it all has the same aftertaste. It's certainly not my first choice for dining.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Everybody stop crying and bashing what boise is, used to be, is becoming, is becoming vs. what they would like, isn't becoming, isn't at all, blah blah blah. Stop!

Boise is a cool place, needs a Trader Joes badly, needs good urban planning for the future growth which is going to happen whether you/we like it or not, senior.

ahhh, how the avg citizen shapes that growth I don't know, I would ask a seasoned urban planning professional like me Mom, who's attended more city council meetings and gotten in more "discussions" with more city managers than I care to account for.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 03-01-2007 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's disgusting mate. This is a mtb website, keep it clean!

mtbr member
    Sure, I exagerate, however, it's not far from the truth.

And hoping that the city/town/county will plan be planned properly, is not going to make a difference. Actively working to ensure that the planning is done properly, is the only way to make a difference. Sitting back and watching is a sure way to see us continue on our current path (which I would say is a downward spiral). IMO, urban planning the US is poor, planning is the southern and western parts of the US is worse than most of the US, and in particular Idaho has (at best) ineffective planning laws. If you'd think that's not true, then why does a city/county not need to follow their General Plan in Idaho? There's no legal obligation to do so. And why is there not a regional (Treaure Valley) planning authorty? (Compass does not have any real authority, and does not make decissions.)

In the coming 25 years the Treasure Valley will be building the equivalent of a new city of 300,000 people. That's a big city - and it's not a choice of "do you want it," because it's happening regardless of what any of us may want. If you were going to build a city of that size, what would you want it to look like? Now is the time to think about it. And after that city of 300,000 is built the growth will not magically stop, it's going to continue. So now is the time to ask, "what do I want this place to look like when I'm old? What type of place do I want my grandkids to have?"

If the Treasure Valley becomes a valley of low density single family homes and strip malls (i.e. Meridian) from the edge of the Boise Front to the Snake River, and from Mountain Home to Ontario, are we going to be living in a nice place? Or are we going to be looking for the next "nice" town to move to?

Like EP said, if you fight it you're banging your head against a wall. However, if you don't try to make a difference, we're all going to be responsible for what this valley becomes. If you do not think Boise is as nice now as it was 10 or 20 years ago, just wait another 20 years... the changes that are ahead are MUCH greater. It's time to decide what we want and to make it happen, not sit back and watch.

Oh.... and bikes are really really cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    To me, no matter what I order from Cheesecake Factory, it all has the same aftertaste. It's certainly not my first choice for dining.
    Just out of college (it's been more than several years), I was dating a girl that was a waitress at the Cheesecake Factory (they get one free piece of cheesecake to take home after every shift). Once I discovered the White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake, my waistline went to hell.

I'm not sure if they still serve the "wood chips" with every meal; those really did taste like ass. But the cheesecake was pretty darn good - and I'm a bit of a cheesecake connoisseur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I live in the Sacramento area (Roseville) and visit Boise on average once a month for work (the really big tech company on Chinden and Cloverdale). While folks I work with are very passionate about the riding there, for what is within a reasonable distance of the site, I prefer Roseville (that said, I now have an S&S-equiped bike that will accompany me on my future trips so that I don't need to borrow a bike to ride).

Meridian and Eagle are a lot like Roseville with the same chains and the same sprawl. Years ago it was a PITA to get a Starbucks between the airport and the site, but now Eagle Rd is flush with places to stop on the way. Years ago it might have been a similar experience to the original posters home (Rancho Murietta?), but those days are long gone.

Downtown Boise is a lot like midtown Sacramento in feel, but much more compact (the capitol building, a few tall buildings, and the restaurants/bars fit into a couple block square). During the warm months I like to stay there (at the Grove) because I can do the pub crawl with friends without ever needing to get back in a car. During the winter I stay in Eagle so I only have to sit in a freezing cold car for a few minutes.

We haven't considered moving to Boise (home prices are less, but otherwise I think someone pointed out the cost of living is equivalent) since we aren't burned out on Sacramento yet, but it is certainly a nice place to visit.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm going to email this to an urban planning expert - and I do mean expertise and will post her response here. Might be interesting reading!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm going to email this to an urban planning expert - and I do mean expertise and will post her response here. Might be interesting reading!
    Try Ed McMahon with the Urban Land Institute. (Not that Ed McMahon, but the other one.) I heard him speak recently at a Chamber of Commerce function that was attended by a lot of Valley politicos and bigwigs. He made a great pitch for preserving what makes Boise unique (ala Laffeaux's arguments) and building higher density homes on smaller lots with smaller streets, rather than the cookie cutter Corey Barton-type housing developments that are being plopped down on any available square inch of farmland within a 30 mile radius of Boise. Frankly, I don't think the developers or politicos in the audience really listened to him, but it was nice to finally hear somebody, anybody, actually tell them what they needed to hear.

But, in reality, this is Idaho after all, where private property rights are king. The entire ethos of of the state, and the Boise valley, are built upon the premise (so to speak) of "it's my property, and I do [email protected] well what I want to do with it, and you can't stop me." (Remember Otter's wetland?) So, yes, we can try as we might to force some change or at least stem the tide of the current deluge of [email protected] development, but until the mindset of the average voter changes, this is merely an academic discussion.

In the end, peak oil is coming, so keep riding your bike, grow a garden in your yard, learn how to work with your hands, and get ready for your kids to live like our great grandparents did before the world became awash in cheap oil. Those hermetically sealed four wheeled modes of transports will be nothing but lawn ornaments in 50 years anyway.

http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/files/ASPO-Boston.pdf

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    The entire ethos of of the state, and the Boise valley, are built upon the premise (so to speak) of "it's my property, and I do [email protected] well what I want to do with it, and you can't stop me." (Remember Otter's wetland?) So, yes, we can try as we might to force some change or at least stem the tide of the current deluge of [email protected] development, but until the mindset of the average voter changes, this is merely an academic discussion.
    To piggyback on Geoff's post....you can also substitute the word "property" with "$". You are getting folks moving in from out-of-state that are making a pretty penny on the sale of their home and coming here and buying more home than what they could have afforded where they came from. Just take a look at what the home buying publications (for example the inserts in the Sunday Statesman) are pushing nowadays.....big lots...big houses...Lexington Hills....Two Rivers.....Hunters Points (Nampa).

If I pocket $200K on the sale of a home....damn sure as hell I'm gonna be buying that much extra house!!! WTF would I do with that $? Buy bikes????

Oh.....ya' there needs to be a seperate restaurant thread. I just need a place to vent about my frustations of eating downtown at lunch.

King of the Barneys
    OK, ya whinin baldheaded strumpet! Put on some underwear and stop hanging out with that anorexic trollop from Paris

Let's vote with our dollars! Who wants to meet me at Bar Gernika? The Reef? The Beanery? Zen Bento? Oriental Express? Haddies? Tablerock, Highland Hollow, Cazba, Piper Pub, Sockeye, Asiagos, and all the hearty folks standing strong against the hurricane winds of chains blowing into the valley?

CDB
    Curmudgeon or Luddite? you decide

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Let's vote with our dollars! Who wants to meet me at Bar Gernika? The Reef? The Beanery? Zen Bento? Oriental Express? Haddies? Tablerock, Highland Hollow, Cazba, Piper Pub, Sockeye, Asiagos, and all the hearty folks standing strong against the hurricane winds of chains blowing into the valley?
    Ummmm... you left off Andy's Deli (corner of 9th and Idaho) - best sandwich that can be bought in downtown.

Oh, and the Bombay Grill is good if you like eating until you get sick to the stomach (I really should not go to all-you-can-eat lunch buffets).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bittercreek and Harrison Hollow! (well the latters not downtown but whatever)

King of the Barneys
    I was just getting started. Add the Thai joints, the Flip joint, the Indian buffet...Gino's (now that's Italian!) Lots of great independents, and I hope they're all still here in 10yrs.

I love the Outback steaks, but I refuse to wait for an hour and be herded like a piece of cattle stuffed in amongst hundreds of others, with a stupid beaper on a busy Friday night. I even like Texas Roadhouse steaks, but I won't go there for the same reason. I like a couple dishes at PF Changs, but same complaint: too generic, too busy, too commercial, too boring. Macaroni Grill has a few nice dishes, but it, too, is such a danged loud, busy cookie cutter joint that I can't stand it.

Lethal Weapon 4 has a conversation between Joe Pesci and Chris Rock about cell phones... I feel the same way about chain restaurants.

CDB
    Rockie's on Overland. $5 micro brew pitchers, and the scenery aint' bad neither.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by zebdi
    hater...
    i sure miss your posts and trials videos zebdi

mtbr member
    May 2004

yep

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    I love the Outback steaks, but I refuse to wait for an hour and be herded like a piece of cattle stuffed in amongst hundreds of others, with a stupid beaper on a busy Friday night.
    No doubt!!! And then at the slightest visual cue that you are done, you get pressured to hurry up and get out

mtbr member
    May 2004

feedback?

Sure, I exagerate, however, it's not far from the truth.

And hoping that the city/town/county will plan be planned properly, is not going to make a difference. Actively working to ensure that the planning is done properly, is the only way to make a difference. Sitting back and watching is a sure way to see us continue on our current path (which I would say is a downward spiral). IMO, urban planning the US is poor, planning is the southern and western parts of the US is worse than most of the US, and in particular Idaho has (at best) ineffective planning laws. If you'd think that's not true, then why does a city/county not need to follow their General Plan in Idaho? There's no legal obligation to do so. And why is there not a regional (Treaure Valley) planning authorty? (Compass does not have any real authority, and does not make decissions.)

In the coming 25 years the Treasure Valley will be building the equivalent of a new city of 300,000 people. That's a big city - and it's not a choice of "do you want it," because it's happening regardless of what any of us may want. If you were going to build a city of that size, what would you want it to look like? Now is the time to think about it. And after that city of 300,000 is built the growth will not magically stop, it's going to continue. So now is the time to ask, "what do I want this place to look like when I'm old? What type of place do I want my grandkids to have?"

If the Treasure Valley becomes a valley of low density single family homes and strip malls (i.e. Meridian) from the edge of the Boise Front to the Snake River, and from Mountain Home to Ontario, are we going to be living in a nice place? Or are we going to be looking for the next "nice" town to move to?

Like EP said, if you fight it you're banging your head against a wall. However, if you don't try to make a difference, we're all going to be responsible for what this valley becomes. If you do not think Boise is as nice now as it was 10 or 20 years ago, just wait another 20 years... the changes that are ahead are MUCH greater. It's time to decide what we want and to make it happen, not sit back and watch.

Oh.... and bikes are really really cool.

The writer makes very good points. It is citizen participation that could make the most different. Urban planners can guide suggest and draw pictures to describe what the community envisions. The strongest factor in creating any new City is to have a plan. What the writer calls a General Plan (must have some California influence there, since that is what we call it..... a General Plan). It is the guide book for development and more importantly how you would like to see growth occur. Keep in mind the General Plan is just that general and is a dynamic document that can be changed as times and expectations in the community change.

It is important that growth be planned for all types of development not just residential development. The community must have an economic base. Keep the dirty industry at the edges and integrate the other job producing land uses so that travel time is condensed. Make sure there is housing for all segments of the community not just high and middle class. Integrate the affordable housing (for sale and rental) into the community, make sure affordable housing is scattered into the residential areas. Don't create gets. There are many non-profits that can develop and manage affordable housing that is remarkably nice and stays that way. Lots of history and examples all over the western states.

The plan must deal with transportation and circulation. Ensure there will be public transportation that can handle the expected population. We call it transit oriented development, where transit nodes are created in the areas of high use, where high density housing and retail/office type commercial is within 1/4 mile of the stop, so people will use it. There has to be a job and residential base that uses the system. Of course, make sure the system has an end where there is similar intensity and job base. When developing the transit system, shuttle buses for short trips must be considered to areas that are farther than 1/4 mile from the transit node to transport people to the node. You must be able to reach out to potential users of public transit, because people will not use it if they have to walk too far or drive to it and try to find a parking space.

Not the be forgotten is the environmental impacts the new development will make to the ground, air, new light intrusion, noise, use of utilities, etc. Preservation is important to the overall health of the community. Make sure that the most important areas of the new City are protected. You will know where the most biologically significant areas are with the proper studies, keep them pristine for all to enjoy. The birds have to be able to sing, the critters have to forage in a healthy environment. Make sure there are wildlife corridors
    that are wide enough for animals to use. They say 100 feet is the minimum, I don't think so, especially if there are larger animals using the corridors.

So there are my thoughts in a nutshell, there are many books out there, do your research and no matter what happens or how long it takes PARTICIPATE.

liver abuser
    You don't really want to live here. It ain't all that. Dig?

Queen of Crash
    Too boring.
    Last edited by sweetflowersister; 03-06-2007 at 08:53 AM.
    Good times. Noodle salad.

liver abuser
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? A month ago Trevor posted a thread about a kid he knew dying, and you guys tore the poor kid apart about being off topic and now you are debating Spaghetti Warehouse bread stick recipes on a mountain bike forum. I HATE YOU ALL!
    Hypocrites. And lame ones at that.
    Can't you see what you are doing?
    Moderators please moderate.
    This is my last post. I thought you cared about bikes and trails and such, but you are just wanna be real estate agents. Move to Boise so I can make a buck! Buy my house...please

liver abuser
    okay, last post. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
    "Somerset Ridge up in the Foothills has a pool or two. And I *think* Columbia Village has a pool too (although impdude would be best to answer that one). River Run also has a community pool and tennis court.

Man....I shoulda bought my house in Columbia Village when they were cheap back in the mid-90s. "

Queen of Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyGonzalas
    A month ago Trevor posted a thread about a kid he knew dying, and you guys tore the poor kid apart about being off topic
    Hmmm...wasn't there one comment from a moderator and other posts expressing empathy?

Are the trails dry yet? I'm really ready for the trails to be dry.
    Good times. Noodle salad.

Not that I know anything about trail maintenance or the environment, but I recommend that you take Twinkles on Bucks.

Now that I have a cross...should I get a 29" too???

Members who have read this thread: 0