Boise machine shops- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Boise machine shops

I need to have someone make a new rear axle for a bike that I have. It's a press fit into the hub bearings, so the tolerences need to be pretty tight. However, overall it's a pretty straight forward part made from aluminum.

Does anyone have experience with a local machine shop that they could recommend?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    what type of hub is it for? bullseye?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    what type of hub is it for? bullseye?
    It's a Hi-E hub that was modified to go on a bike with 145mm rear spacing. Unfortunately, it's not something that is commonly found in peoples' parts bins.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm... bute axle looks just like a Bullseye axle. I'm not sure if Bullseye ever made a tandem hub or not. I'll have to look into that.

mtbr member
    145mm? dang, that's tandem spacing! from what i recall, Dave Thomas used to build using Hi-E hubs or Hi-E hubs made for him. Give him a call and he maybe able to hook you up. If you go the custom route, it may cost you more to custom machine than to buy a new tandem hub (unless you are doing a restoration of course)...

mtbr member
    145mm? dang, that's tandem spacing! from what i recall, Dave Thomas used to build using Hi-E hubs or Hi-E hubs made for him. Give him a call and he maybe able to hook you up. If you go the custom route, it may cost you more to custom machine than to buy a new tandem hub (unless you are doing a restoration of course)...
    Yeah it's a mountain bike built with tandem spacing - 145mm rear and 115 front. A bit funky, and I'd prefer to keep the parts original.

Finding a tandem hub and stealing the axle is likely a lot cheaper. I'll have to be on the look out, and give a few old school shops a phone call.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=laffeaux]Yeah it's a mountain bike built with tandem spacing - 145mm rear and 115 front. A bit funky, and I'd prefer to keep the parts original.

QUOTE]

man, that can only be an original manitou hardtail... i saw one at the swap last year and almost got it but it was too big.

mtbr member
    man, that can only be an original manitou hardtail... i saw one at the swap last year and almost got it but it was too big.
    You're pretty good at the guessing game.

I missed the one at the swap! If Doug built it, I don't think that I could have passed it up at any size.

Sep 2005
    Try purelycustom.com They are out of Twin Falls. Like thier logo says you dream it-we will build it. I know the owner and he is a good guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    You're pretty good at the guessing game.

I missed the one at the swap! If Doug built it, I don't think that I could have passed it up at any size.
    The bike at the swap was an Answer which was another reason I didn't buy it (and resell it for an outrageous amount).

There are two bikes on my wish list:

Yeti Arc (Furtado-Tomac era)
    Bradbury Manitou (the Answer frames are kinda frail)

I still have a Bradbury Manitou fork in my garage. This fork is so old that when I started splitting bumpers, I called Manitou's CS, and Doug's wife answered the phone... no kidding...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnoman monkey
    Try purelycustom.com They are out of Twin Falls. Like thier logo says you dream it-we will build it. I know the owner and he is a good guy.
    Purelycustom looks like an interesting shop. They have some neat ideas. I'll keep them in mind.

I'd like to find a place in Boise, where I can walk in and hand them my broken axle, and talk to the guy that makes it. But if not...

Members who have read this thread: 0