Boise bike shops- Mtbr.com
    paintbucket

Boise bike shops

Hi all-- My big brother turns 50 this year, and has decided to take up MTBing. Can't imagine where he got that idea. He lives in Boise, but isn't too savvy on the market so I'm looking for shop recommendations, and also shops he should probably avoid. Any help? We're talking an entry level FS bike I'm thinking.

TIA
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Hi!!!
    What part of Boise does he both live and work in?

paintbucket
    Lives near Barber Park, works at BSU.

King of the Barneys
    I think Ken at Ken's takes good care of new riders. I've sent half a dozen or more to him, and he normally gets them riding on a nice Hardrock, Rockhopper or Raleigh something.

I don't know that there's a bad bike shop in town. I like Bob's a lot, as well as Reed's, World Cycle, Ken's, and the new Fairview/5-Mile George's.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

just a man

Not a paid advertisement...

..and many will agree that the guys at George's on 5Mi/Fairview are a great resource and really friendly. Ask for Patrick.

Hi!!!
    What does your bro do at BSU? I'm class of '96. Man I wished I worked on campus. I had a couple of jobs on campus and just had a blast. I'm still on campus a couple of times a week throughout the year cuz that's where my gym is at and I go to sporting events there.

Anyhoo.....

The closest shop is George's on Front across the street from WinCo:
    http://georgescycles.com/index.cfm

There are a couple downtown not too far from BSU:
    http://worldcycleboise.com/
    http://www.idahomountaintouring.com/

Up in Hyde Park there is:
    http://hydeparkcyclesports.com/

Bob's Bicycles:
    http://bobs-bicycles.com/index.cfm

Ken's Bicycle Warehouse up on Overland and Five Mile doesn't have a website, but I've bought some bikes from them a while ago and Ken was a treat to deal with.

Reed's Cycle out in Eagle is a great shop too. GREAT GREAT service by Bill and the gang.

Did I hit all the big ones?

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    Georges! but hey don't ask me I just work there. haha, well not for the next few weeks, but yeah Georges!

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    What does your bro do at BSU? I'm class of '96. Man I wished I worked on campus. I had a couple of jobs on campus and just had a blast. I'm still on campus a couple of times a week throughout the year cuz that's where my gym is at and I go to sporting events there.

Anyhoo.....

Did I hit all the big ones?
    You missed A-1 at Vista and Overland...
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Hi!!!
    Have you ever been there? I drive by it every now and then. One of these days I'll go in there. It's like a consignment shop right? I can't remember which paper it was, but they did a story on very vintage bikes and I think they interviewed the owner of A-1 and how he had his old bikes displayed there.

There is also that Schwinn shop just down the road next to Dominoes and the US Bank that seems to get robbed every couple of months.

There's also Bikes and Boards on State Street....kinda near Veteran's Parkway right?

King of the Barneys
    I went in there one day, and it was kinda light on the customer service. A kid trying to sell an old rusted tandem to a dood. Some worn out downhill rigs (gnarly dood), some Fuji mtnbikes, some road bikes, and a sling of cruisers and chopper-type bikes, and some parts strung out on the floor around the walls.

I see the guy at the police auctions, and he seems pretty talented at picking up junk and fixing it up. He always buys a pile of bikes for his shop. I'm not dissing the place, I just had one experience that was kind of underwhelming.

So if he's making a living working for himself, I say go for it, buddy!

cDB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    I went in there one day, and it was kinda light on the customer service. A kid trying to sell an old rusted tandem to a dood. Some worn out downhill rigs (gnarly dood), some Fuji mtnbikes, some road bikes, and a sling of cruisers and chopper-type bikes, and some parts strung out on the floor around the walls.

I see the guy at the police auctions, and he seems pretty talented at picking up junk and fixing it up. He always buys a pile of bikes for his shop. I'm not dissing the place, I just had one experience that was kind of underwhelming.

So if he's making a living working for himself, I say go for it, buddy!

cDB

I think A-1 is a cool shop (or least what he's trying to accomplish is), and it's good place to get your bike worked on, or the place to go if you are looking for a commuter bike or commuter bike parts. Chuck has tons of old stuff laying around waiting to be used on a bike. To me that's what a bike shop should be - keep the bikes that are out there up and running.

Most of the other shops in town are good for buying new stuff.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Keep on eye on Meridian Cycles, should be opening this Saturday.

paintbucket
    Thanks for all the beta. Sounds like there's lots of good options. Y'all must have more bike culture than we've got here in South Calinky.

If anyone has additional thoughts on shops one way or the other, feel free to keep posting because I'm for sure going to keep reading.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I think A-1 is a cool shop (or least what he's trying to accomplish is), and it's good place to get your bike worked on, or the place to go if you are looking for a commuter bike or commuter bike parts. Chuck has tons of old stuff laying around waiting to be used on a bike. To me that's what a bike shop should be - keep the bikes that are out there up and running.

Most of the other shops in town are good for buying new stuff.
    I agree with laffeaux in that A-1 is a pretty cool shop. I think this shop has alot of potential. I have known Chuck for sometime, we use to work at competing shops back in the day. I tease Chuck that he needs to clean up his shop, and he is trying to do just that. It is hard keeping a shop like his organized, there is so much used stuff moving thru there it tends to look like a pawn shop. I think it is good to have a shop that deals in the used stuff but it can be hard make money sometimes. People don't always see the value in the used stuff. I can tell you that if you look hard enough you can find some gems there. I will say that you shouldnt just think of A-1 as just a used shop he also carry's new stuff.
    Later

mtbr member

Shops

I like Reeds in Eagle, Hyde Park in where else Hyde Park, A-1 is cool for work and spare parts and good conversation not so much for new bling bling. I Generally don't like Georges. I have not had a ton of experience with them butt I feel they are like a bleach blonde with a big fake rack. Nice to look at but short on substance.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    What does your bro do at BSU?
    Missed this. He's a geophysicist at the Center for Geophysical Investigation of the Shallow Subsurface.

Barneys Unite!

George's is George's

I have bought four bikes from George's on Front Street. Their service all depends on whom you deal with. There is a young guy (Justin?) who is very helpful when it comes to sales, and I think the shop guys are pretty good. There are, however, a couple of guys there who kinda have that "I'm a very cool road cyclist" attitude.

If I were looking for an entry level mountain bike, George's is probaly where I'd go, just because they are such a big Specialized dealer.

I have friends who shop exclusively at World Cycle and just love it, but I've never warmed up to the place. I've been in there two or three times looking to buy and was largely ignored.

TF

banned
    Mar 2007

Agreed

I don't know that there's a bad bike shop in town. ICDB
    I've done business with just about every bike shop in town and, to be totally honest, having only the highest praise really for every one of them. so I suppose it'sjust a matter of the most convenient location and establishing a relationship with one (or several) of them.

Every shop has taken dang good care of me, and I can be a PITA for sure!

gringo-fied facsimiles

aw shucks, you guys are going to make me cry.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    ..and many will agree that the guys at George's on 5Mi/Fairview are a great resource and really friendly. Ask for Patrick.
    I have to admit georges has that snooty reputation, I agree that every one of our three stores has a couple of people that think they are the bees knees.....but we also have some dedicated employees that will do what it takes to keep your buisness. And no, we will not have every bike part that every bike rider needs in stock, no bike shop will, this I guarentee. but if we dont have it, we will try to get it, or I will call the other shops in town to try and locate it for you. see... its called taking care of the customer.....ie customer service. I also agree that we ( boise cyclists ) are blessed with many quality bike shops.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

Hi!!!
    Being a 2C resident, I'm suprised there ain't more than one bike shop in all of 2C considering all the growth here. The only one I can think of is Cafferty's in downtown Nampa. Heck I remember when Caldwell had two bike shops....one on Kimball and another one several blocks north of what was downtown. But that was a looooong time ago.

A number of years ago there use to be a bike shop in Nampa on the Boulevard. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....but it seemed like it was the LRC "shop". Now it's a costume shop.

King of the Barneys

what about that joint in Meridian?

the "Bike shop, not a department store" place at Cherry and Meridian rd on the corner? I stopped in there once and the guy at the desk (the owner?) was in a heated conversation with his X on the phone, and I wandered around chuckling at how lousy he had it , and how good I have it and then left.

Could be that I caught a good place at a bad time.

CDB

just a man
    the "Bike shop, not a department store" place at Cherry and Meridian rd on the corner? I stopped in there once and the guy at the desk (the owner?) was in a heated conversation with his X on the phone, and I wandered around chuckling at how lousy he had it , and how good I have it and then left.

Could be that I caught a good place at a bad time.

CDB
    Yeah every day could be a "bad time" at that place! McCheesey's or Whillibey's or something like that. All I saw from the road were junk bikes and that silly sign. I don't think the marketing tactic has worked really well, since I have never been compelled to even enter their store and I'm not the Walgoose bike buyin' type anymore.

mtbr member
    I've never found a shop in town that I've really liked. Georges when it was in Meridian was the most convenient so I picked up some stuff there. I"m going to stop in today (now on Fairview) and see if they have a rear hub)

I've hated IMT since they built the Mall store. No one there seems to know anything.

I am having wheels built at Custom Cycles. They've been good so far. We'll see how the wheel build comes out. They're probably not the place to buy an entry level new bike though.

Last time I was in Kens, I still had thumb shifters. The kid in the shop tried to tell me there was no such thing.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    Last time I was in Kens, I still had thumb shifters. The kid in the shop tried to tell me there was no such thing.
    LOL That's one of the funnier things that I've heard in a while.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

paintbucket
    Slight change in direction here. I think I should have bro ride an entry level 29er since he's tall enough to take advantage of the wheel size and I'd like to minimize his chances of going over the bars. Plus a hardtail will require less maintenance than an FS rig.

Is there a Fisher dealer out there with a decent selection on the floor?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    World Cycles (on 8th) stocks Fisher 29ers for sure, and IMT (on 13th) may (pretty sure they carry Fisher). Not sure if anyone else does.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Rig it...see Patrick at the Meridian George's
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

gringo-fied facsimiles

gf 29ers?

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Slight change in direction here. I think I should have bro ride an entry level 29er since he's tall enough to take advantage of the wheel size and I'd like to minimize his chances of going over the bars. Plus a hardtail will require less maintenance than an FS rig.

I got your gf 29ers right here at georges on fairview, how tall is the chap?

gringo-fied facsimiles

hell yes rig it!

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Rig it...see Patrick at the Meridian George's

I am really loving my rig, I missed the single speed and went all the way......to a rig, its tough, but fun, damn that thing can roll.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure that the Rig is a good "entry level" bike. I think geared is a much better option in this case.

gringo-fied facsimiles

oh I agree

I'm not sure that the Rig is a good "entry level" bike. I think geared is a much better option in this case.

we got cobia's at $990, x cals at 1250, parragon at 1630, ferris at 1899 and soon we will have the trek 69er.......soon I hope, gotta lotta people looking at that one.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    we got cobia's at $990
    That's what I'm thinking about. Definitely not a singlespeed. I'll have to work him up to that.

He's about my size so I'm guessing he'll need a ~24" effective TT with standard geometry. Not sure how that translates to a Fisher though.

Guess I better call my sister-in-law tomorrow and get this show on the road. Thanks for all the comments everybody. Mucho appreciado.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Well have to ride together....I'll ride my cross, and you can Rig it. Rode the cross up Hulls, and everyone looked at me like I was nuckin' futz. And they were/are right.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    the george's on front i know has about 5 fisher hardtail 29ers and a couple full suspension 29ers

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Speaking of LBSs, does anywhere in town sell the Five.Ten Impact shoes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Georges on state has all the 29ers and the 5.10 shoes

Hoops - Big and Small

These old things

LOL That's one of the funnier things that I've heard in a while.
    I've been dragging these things around for years, not sure if thats a good thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    I've hated IMT since they built the Mall store. No one there seems to know anything.
    If you have a problem with the sales guys at IMT, I suggest going to the mechanics. They know about bikes, instead of climbers, etc. trying to play it off as if they know bikes. But Tony, used to work for Georges, works as a salesman, and knows quite a bit.

But from only slight experience, I prefer Georges. One, because I work there, and a bigger shop isn't there only to make money. The customer can feel comfortable because money isn't a big thing to them because they are already succeeding. I personally don't like the Hyde Park Cycle Sports. Everytime I went in there or the owner passed me going up my hill to my house (he lived on the same hill), he gave me dirty looks, and just basically 'ignored' me. Although the mechanic in the back- don't remember his name- is an awesome guy. I didn't like Bob's nor Ken's. Although I really like Custom Cycles- kool little shop- but as someone already said, it isn't great for beginners.
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    I've been dragging these things around for years, not sure if thats a good thing.
    The one looks like it's part of the SunTour integrated shifter/lever.

I still ride bikes with thumbies. I shift a little less often with them, but otherwise they work fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Meridian Cyclery?

Anyone know what mountain bike brands Meridian cyclery is going to carry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TShanny
    Anyone know what mountain bike brands Meridian cyclery is going to carry?
    Raliegh, Felt and Jamis. I know Paul likes 29'ers so I would expect to see the big wheels represented.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey all,
    I hear that Meridian Cycles will be opening their doors tomorrow. Go check them out and let us know what you think. I can't make it back to Boise for at least 3 weeks or so, but I can't wait to check it out for myself.

Members who have read this thread: 0