Boise- Mtbr.com

Thread: Boise

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Boise

My brother moved to Boise about 6 months ago and has been raving about the trails around the area.

Yesterday he emailed a map of the local trail system that shows about 200 miles of various trails with about 85% bike legal. Interestingly, those that are not bike legal are also not horse legal as they are "hiker only."

He indicated he seldom sees anyone on horseback and those he passes are very friendly...hikers too.

I'm not advocating moving to Boise, I couldn't stand the winters there; however, it seems to be a good lesson in trail sharing. I suppose lack of population has a lot to do with it but still.....

I think a visit is in order.
    Team Kinetic Cycles/Fat Bikes Rule!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    One large difference might be that in most areas, equestrians could tend to be more rural folk. In the Bay Area, equestrians are wealthy (I'm generalizing of course). They've historically had access to everything, and probably have more influence.

It's also just too damned crowded around here now. Get off my lawn, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Boise is a nice town. as a bowhunter, it would damn near be mecca for me. i would use every mtn bike ride as a scouting mission.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I lived there a year, the trails were great 10 years ago...Im sure they are even better now.

I was able to deal with the winters...the inversion kind of sucked but it really isn't that bad.
    I couldn't deal with the summers....it was way too hot.

mtbr member

Boise

I have a short business trip to Boise very soon. Is there gnar gnar close to the town? Any particular bike rental close to such a trailhead?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Look up East Side cycles, they have great demo bikes and the trails are within a mile or two.

mtbr member
    joyride cycles, really close to trailhead as well

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check Eagle Bike Park for "gnar gnar" otherwise foothills Boise trails are more on the XC side of things, and snow hasn't completely melted up top. Also check out Table Rock, good tech rocky loops there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    I have a short business trip to Boise very soon. Is there gnar gnar close to the town? Any particular bike rental close to such a trailhead?
    Tablerock has a nice rockgarden section (Rock Island). Some of the more advanced lines would require trails skills. The backside of Tablerock also has a rock quarry section that requires some precision. Think of it as trying to ride Hobo but with the penalty of missing being square edged sandstone rock.

30 minutes from downtown Boise is Eagle Bike Park. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...bike-park-tour

If you like to climb, you can go from downtown up to the Ridge (I think it's about a 4k non stop climb) and bomb down Hard Guy, Corrals and Bob's (Bob's have some chunk).

Even easier and just as fun Rocky Canyon to 5 Mile-Watchman to 3 Bears.

All the trails except for the Eagle Bike Park basically start from downtown or within a couple of miles of downtown based on the trailhead you pick to start from.

mtbr member
    if you want gnar riding at the foothills ride the motorcycle trails, those are the best downhill trails in the foothills, but like said up high there is going to be a lot of snow as you get closer to the ridge road.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot !!!!! It sounds like I may need to fly one day before the meeting

mtbr member

Boise

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Tablerock has a nice rockgarden section (Rock Island). Some of the more advanced lines would require trails skills. The backside of Tablerock also has a rock quarry section that requires some precision. Think of it as trying to ride Hobo but with the penalty of missing being square edged sandstone rock.

30 minutes from downtown Boise is Eagle Bike Park. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...bike-park-tour

If you like to climb, you can go from downtown up to the Ridge (I think it's about a 4k non stop climb) and bomb down Hard Guy, Corrals and Bob's (Bob's have some chunk).

Even easier and just as fun Rocky Canyon to 5 Mile-Watchman to 3 Bears.

All the trails except for the Eagle Bike Park basically start from downtown or within a couple of miles of downtown based on the trailhead you pick to start from.
    It's a great network. Can connect miles and miles. I used to do quick 8 mile loops at lunchtime, but you can also leave from the same spot and connect basically everything into 15, 25, 35+ mile loops.

Rock Island is great as you mentioned, and I loved the stuff up at the top by the quarry. Some real difficult tech there.

There is also a new flow trail being opened at Bogus Basin this year, which should be rideable in a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What a timely thread! I'm considering a trip out to Boise/Eagle as well in the next few months. Keep the recommendations coming! Are there any MTBR folks local out there that would want to hook up for some rides? And if I had three solid days for XC rides(thinking 25-35 miles with 3-5k elevation per ride), can anyone suggest a handful of top routes? Strava links would be ideal, but I'll take what I can get.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K9-Usurper View Post
    What a timely thread! I'm considering a trip out to Boise/Eagle as well in the next few months. Keep the recommendations coming! Are there any MTBR folks local out there that would want to hook up for some rides? And if I had three solid days for XC rides(thinking 25-35 miles with 3-5k elevation per ride), can anyone suggest a handful of top routes? Strava links would be ideal, but I'll take what I can get.
    You're better off posting on the Idaho forum. But if you're out there and want to do a 40- 50 miler with about 8k to 10k of climbing, what I do is climb from Boise up Bogus Basin Road>Go up Corrals>Go up Hard Guy>make a left on the Ridge Road (where Hard Guy ends), do loop on Mahalo from Ridge Road (it will dump you back on Ridge Road), continue going up the Ridge Road to Bogus Basin, go around the ATM (Around the Mountain Loop), do some optional loops to the top of Bogus Basin ski resport. Catch Bogus Basin Road and hit Eastside and Sweet Connie back into town (there are new trails off of Sweet Connie too). Bonus points if you do it on a singlespeed. I definitely do not recommend Bay Area SS gearing. Go a little lower (I use 34X21 on a 26'r). For refueling in the summer, there is an awesome bbq on weekends at the Bogus Basin ski resort. I do this ride once or twice a year from my house in Boise. We call it the "Blood Ride" since there will be blood.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I hear Boise has a good Bar and Beer scene too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g.fizzles View Post
    It's getting way better than when I first moved there about 15 years ago. The little town has grown up.

mtbr member

3 Bears from the Ridge

At the very end of this trail is downtown Boise. There are very few places in the Bay Area where you can descend >3k feet of singletrack and end up less than 1/2 mile from Main Street downtown where the bars are...
    Boise-2017-05-02_20-55-15.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    At the very end of this trail is downtown Boise. There are very few places in the Bay Area where you can descend >3k feet of singletrack and end up less than 1/2 mile from Main Street downtown where the bars are...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-02_20-55-15.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1135671
    Out of curiosity: What's the name of this trail. And how easy is it to ride to the trailhead (i.e., without a shuttle). The reason I ask is that I may well find myself in Boise in mid-August (prior to heading to the Sun Valley area to watch the solar eclipse).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finlayson View Post
    Out of curiosity: What's the name of this trail. And how easy is it to ride to the trailhead (i.e., without a shuttle). The reason I ask is that I may well find myself in Boise in mid-August (prior to heading to the Sun Valley area to watch the solar eclipse).
    This trail is called 3 Bears and starts and ends basically in downtown Boise. I do it from my house (I'm half a mile from downtown Boise) and I think it's about a 20 mile loop. The route is this:
    Park at Military Reserve-Up Central Ridge-Right on Shane's Trail- Right at the T on Shane's Trail towards Rocky Canyon Road- Left on Rocky Canyon Road and climb up the fire road- Left on 5 Mile Gulch Road and climb up- Left on Watchman (actually, it's more of a straight into Watchman)- When you merge on to 3 Bears, it becomes all downhill back into town. Enjoy. Slow down when you get about a mile or two from your car, that's when it gets busier with dog walkers and hikers. This is a super fast trail with clear line of sight so you can really let it fly when the coast is clear.
    Here is the interactive map of the trail system: Interactive Map - City of Boise

Edit- I forgot to add that August is hella hot in Boise so bring plenty of water. There isn't much shade in the foothills.

mtbr member

Boise

can't really tell by the picture, but if tou are downtown with your bike it's really easy to bike to the Military Reserve and/or Camels back trailhead, like just a mile or 2 I guess. From there you can even access the higher elevation trails, or you can ride the road up to the ski area and start at corrals trailhead ~5 miles from downtown.

if you are going to sv it's worth stopping to ride Boise trails.

mtbr member
    Today I received the permit from the local administrations (=my wife): one full day + maybe one evening ride work permitting. Any advice for this time of the year? Mosquitos, crazy deers or things like that?

mtbr member
    Today I received the permit from the local administrations (=my wife): one full day + maybe one evening ride work permitting. Any advice for this time of the year? Mosquitos, crazy deers or things like that?
    If you're going this week, the sheep are in the lower foothills. Watch out for the dogs that guard them. They are Great Pyrenees and they do not kid around and will chase you down if you get close. Other than that, the usual rattlesnakes and coyotes. You will be surprised at the number of women that ride in Boise. There are days when they easily outnumber the men.

mtbr member
    what type of riding? how long/much are you planning?

mtbr member

Boise

I am planning what is an "epic all day ride" for me (I suck climbing) ...4000ft , maybe a little more with some HAB, and then all the chunck I can combine. Not to interested in flow, I have all I want in the Bay.

However, I will be happy just to be out there, and enjoy the outdoors even if it is XC. For me, getting to know new places is one of the most exciting parts of riding.

I am assuming I will find creeks to refill the camelback with a filter?

mtbr member

Boise

not sure about the water quality, but there will be plenty in the lower sections, not high up

here's what I suggest

start or climb up to corrals trailhead, start at corrals trail and climb hard guy all the way to the top, right at the ridge road and then I'd have 2 options:

1 - hulls ridge trail -> fat tire traverse -> freestone ridge -> 3 bears -> shane's trail -> find your way to the hotel

2 - after the ridge road pedal a bit more and start the downhill at 5 mile gulch -> watchman -> 3 bears -> shane's

if you look at google maps you can put fernie's patrol trail in the mix to connect 1 to 2, but you don't wanna climb fernie's from freestone towards watcham

so mixing the 2 the mid section would be hulls ridge -> fernie's -> watchman -> 3 bears

this should be pretty close to ~4k

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by g.fizzles View Post
    Woodland Empire!

mtbr member

Boise

The ride turned out being completely different from what I have planned, so lots of roller coaster jumping. From the fire at 16:00 to the cold and strong winds at 21:00. Could test this 27,5+ thing, and felt very alive out there.

Oh yes !!! And everybody, runners, walkers, riders, dog-walkers, every and each of them was so polite and nice !! Saying hello, yielding to climbers, cheering. It really felt like home !

mtbr member
    I would highly recommend NOT filling your water from a stream, there are still cows in the area and you will frequently find cow crap in and around the streams.

NedwannaB

Thread Bump

Quote Originally Posted by O5-KR View Post

The ride turned out being completely different from what I have planned, so lots of roller coaster jumping. From the fire at 16:00 to the cold and strong winds at 21:00. Could test this 27,5+ thing, and felt very alive out there.

Oh yes !!! And everybody, runners, walkers, riders, dog-walkers, every and each of them was so polite and nice !! Saying hello, yielding to climbers, cheering. It really felt like home !
    Aren't you from NorCal? How'd you end up out in Boise? Curious how you liked the area overall.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Hey JMac, I had to be there for work for two days, so you know ...if you go somewhere and you don't ride a bike and drink a beer...is almost like you have not been there at all. Cheers and hope fires calm down soon in Sonoma area

NedwannaB
    Hey JMac, I had to be there for work for two days, so you know ...if you go somewhere and you don't ride a bike and drink a beer...is almost like you have not been there at all. Cheers and hope fires calm down soon in Sonoma area
    Late bump sorry OSK. Good to know. I'll have to check it out next year. I do have a question about some comparison to areas near us, i.e. Carson Valley/Reno/Susanville etc. maybe?

Probably get a comment from Mr flipinidaho as I think he knows things out here NorCal way.

mtbr member
    Would be unfair for me to comment, it was just a ride. flipinidaho definitively will give you good insight. To me, it looked mote on the xc/am side of things, but It is a really amazing backyard, just be able to ride from downtown or get further up to a trailhead with only 15 min drive.

But also I saw technical spots easily even in easy trails, so I am guessing there are all sorts of trails close to town. I could not hit the trails I had planned, shame on me I am so slow.

I also read about destinations just one or two hours drive.

Just driving in the suburbs and seeing the shops they have, Idaho looked like an outdoors paradise to me.

So I would say, check it out if you have a chance !!

mtbr member
    Would be unfair for me to comment, it was just a ride. flipinidaho definitively will give you good insight. To me, it looked mote on the xc/am side of things, but It is a really amazing backyard, just be able to ride from downtown or get further up to a trailhead with only 15 min drive.

But also I saw technical spots easily even in easy trails, so I am guessing there are all sorts of trails close to town. I could not hit the trails I had planned, shame on me I am so slow.

I also read about destinations just one or two hours drive.

Just driving in the suburbs and seeing the shops they have, Idaho looked like an outdoors paradise to me.

So I would say, check it out if you have a chance !!
    Boise trails are mostly smooth, fast singletrack. Think Russian Ridge. However, there are trails that have been built to be super technical and rocky riding. Think of the rocky sections on Sawpit or the climb up Rough Go. However, because of where it is, Boise doesn't have any trails like what you'd find at UCSC to Hwy 9.

The beauty of Boise, at least to me, is that most of the trails are accessible within riding distance of my front door. Within 1/4 to 1/2 mile, I can riding on dirt with a few hundred miles of legal singletrack and fire road available to me in summer. If you lived close to downtown, you never have to get in a car to ride. Very different than living on the East Bay where you have to drive 1.5 hours North or South to get to anywhere fun. Heck, even Skeggs is a 1.5 hour drive from San Ramon.

NedwannaB
    Good to know, duly noted. Thanks flip. At 60 I'm not looking for the chunk on rides but I do ride aggressive XC and do my fair share of epic day long outings consuming some altitude. Not sure, you may remember I bought a pair of XTR pedals from you on here years ago and they're still running strong!

I'm winding down my years of responsible co-parenting out here in Sonoma County,Ca and looking for possible getaway areas within reasonable time frames back to kids/grandkids. Inference to Carson/Reno/Susanville areas etc are closer but not sure if they'll be in reach by the time I can make the move. Places like Boise may not be viable either but at least I'll have some choices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Good to know, duly noted. Thanks flip. At 60 I'm not looking for the chunk on rides but I do ride aggressive XC and do my fair share of epic day long outings consuming some altitude. Not sure, you may remember I bought a pair of XTR pedals from you on here years ago and they're still running strong!

I'm winding down my years of responsible co-parenting out here in Sonoma County,Ca and looking for possible getaway areas within reasonable time frames back to kids/grandkids. Inference to Carson/Reno/Susanville areas etc are closer but not sure if they'll be in reach by the time I can make the move. Places like Boise may not be viable either but at least I'll have some choices.
    I remember that bro. If you like all day XC rides, you'll like Boise. It's super easy to do a 50 mile ride (8k feet) from town and have great beer at the end of the ride without having to get in car. From Sonoma County, it's probably about a 9 hour drive to and from Boise (longer in winter). Or a little bit over an hour flight to and from SFO or OAK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Just a tourist here that was up there this summer a couple times for work. I was pretty stoked with the ridding up there. On days where I got off around 4-5, I went up to Bogus Basin and rode ATM, Morning Star, Berm Baby Berm (admittedly, pretty blown out) and Eastside a couple times (didn't see a single other person on Eastside); the 15-20 degree drop in temperature in August made it well worth the drive. On long days working until 7, I could still be at a trail and ride for 2-3 hours before the sun started setting. Rode the Eagle bike park which was a lot of fun putting in a ton of laps on. Rode a couple trails just out of down town, Red Cliffs and lower Hulls were a fun, little more crowded though. I will agree, the trails I rode definitely had a bit more of an XC feel to them, but riding by myself, not sure I'd want to get too crazy anyway. It seemed like the locals put in a lot of work to make something pretty great and everybody I talked to up there was always happy to give me some ideas on trails to try. Kore North Bikes was cool as hell too and had free demos on Intense bikes, just needed to call a week or two ahead.

I'm hoping I get sent back up there next summer. Wouldn't mind checking out Bogus in the winter too, looked like there was some reasonably steep tree lines up there. Just a side bar, the Spicy Bacon Avocado Gyro at the Gyro Shack with a nice cold beer. Worth a try in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    What are you guys riding in the Boise area? I'm looking at Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 and Hightower. Looking at both as a 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 300WinMag View Post
    What are you guys riding in the Boise area? I'm looking at Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 and Hightower. Looking at both as a 29er.
    Those bikes are a good choice. A 5" bike that you can pedal all day should just about cover most of the riding in Boise and the surrounding areas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks FlipnIdaho would you recommend one over the other? Can you give some input on what bikes you see around most? From the bit of research Iíve been able to do it seems that most people lean toward the 29ers for the area.

mtbr member
    Thanks FlipnIdaho would you recommend one over the other? Can you give some input on what bikes you see around most? From the bit of research Iíve been able to do it seems that most people lean toward the 29ers for the area.
    I don't think you can go wrong with any Santa Cruz bike in Boise. I see a lot of them around. I ride an Evil Insurgent while I'm in Boise (the other bikes I have there is a steel SS and a steel geared hardtail- both 26" bikes). Heck, for most of the riding in Boise, you can probably get away with a cross bike but it would be more difficult to hit optional features.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I just got a hardtail to make the Boise foothills a little more interesting, with Plus tires because of all the sand. If I was gonna just have one bike here, I second the 5"-ish bike recommendation, but will add the Plus to it for the loose over hard surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    these will be great bikes for boise! both of them, really depends on what type of terrain you will hit the most and your style, if it was me Iíd go hightower between these two!

boise has a lot of yetis and sc bikes, two good lbs in town sell these bikes!

Hit me up if you wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    My foothills bike at this point in my life is a fatbike with 4" tires. Gets me over everything including the rock gardens on Tablerock. Might put a Mastadon on the front this year. But I'm so slow it would probably be overkill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks to Xylx for answering the question I was about to post on here. My girlfriend and I are eyeing up a week in Boise for early May and I've been mulling over which bike to take. The options are Beargrease/Bluto/4"JJ's, RM Element 29er, SC 5010. Having read through this thread and viewing some of the drone videos on the excellent www.boisetrails.com site methinks going fat would be mo' funner.