Bohart Bash, Bozeman, MT 7/7/07- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bohart Bash, Bozeman, MT 7/7/07

X-posted in XC Race Forum

July 7, 2007 was the Bohart Bash at Bohart Ranch near Bridger Bowl in Bozeman, Montana. This is typically our biggest race of the year as far as attendance. Usually the best door prizes, free food, free beer, and live music make it the premier race of the year (in my opinion). This year was no exception. Same course as last year, a 5 mile lap with mostly single/double track. No long steep climbs, not much for rooty and rocky, excellent variety of single and double track for passing opportunities. I raced Sport class (3 laps) and there were 33 competitors. Hopefully I can place some pics in here as they become available.

Start/Finish Area

the race starts with a Lemans start of about a 50 yard dash. This is a little goofy, but I can see the motivation for it because the race starts immediately with about 150 yards of double track climb and then the single track hole shot. This is not enough track before the hole shot to seperate the field, thus the Lemans start with the logic only the serious contenders will subject themselves to an ungraceful sprint in cycling shoes while holding your jersey pockets to keep your gel flasks and spare tubes from falling out. The rest of us take off at more of a quick trod than a sprint. I'm in red below.

Luckily there was no bottleneck this year at the hole shot, I managed to get there right about in the middle of the pack.

The first lap I was feeling the usual panic of "Oh man, I went out to hard at the start and I'm alreay cooked. I hope I don't DNF." I played leapfrog with acouple guys who could climb faster than me but I could overtake them again on the downhills. This continued for the lap and into the second when it became apparent that they were pulling away from me. They were now practically out of sight when they finished the uphill sections and I wasn't catching up on the way back down. As lap three started I formed the plan that I must catch those two before the final downhill sections if I want to beat them. I gave it my all that third lap and managed to catch their wheel about 3/4 the way through the last lap. This worked out perfect as just before the final downhill sections begin there is one last straightaway double track that is slightly uphill. Once we got there I shifted into a higher gear and attacked. One of the guys made some kind of complimentary comment on my move and I grunted a thanks and dropped the hammer. I didn't look back until the end of the straightaway where it drops into some tight trees. Those two were nowhere close and I felt great because I should be able to hold them off now that the course is pretty much downhill.

A short time later I hear someone gaining on me and I start to get bummed. I'm leaving it all out there trying to maintain my position on the two guys I just passed. thankfully the guy catching me is an expert class in second place. he gets around and provides me the perfect rabbit to chase. I was again proud of myself as I kept up with him pretty well. I even had to brake at the finish to observe proper etiquette as he had another lap to do and I just needed to cross the line. I braked so I could come in behind him and not hinder his turn as he started another lap.

So I finished 22 out of 33. That is pretty typical for my finish position. I was hoping for higher placing, of course, but I did knock almost 6 minutes off of my time from last year. I was most proud of my race tactics that actually paid off. It was a great feeling to form a plan, execute it, and succeed. I won acouple door prizes and enjoyed the free beer and pizza. I was also proud of my dad who entered his first mountain bike race ever in the beginner class. Not only his first race at age 59, but he did it on his new 29" singlespeed. He finished 6 out of 10. Another great year of Bohart Bash.

Click for Official results
    Last edited by ewarnerusa; 07-10-2007 at 10:01 AM.

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Nice, looks fun.

mtbr member

Some pictures

A few pictures from the race.

Here's my dad finishing lap 1

This is me finishing lap 2 and rounding the corner to start lap 3. After lap 1 I was handed a bottle by the race staff which I carried in my jersey pocket. After lap 2, right after this pic was taken, I finish most of the bottle and toss the bottle on the ground like a pro.

Finishing lap 3. the guy in the team kit in front of me the expert I followed in to the finish. He's making the turn to start his 5th lap and I'm coasting into the finish.

Standing up and finishing strong

my road bike is a Harley
    Mar 2007
    good job at Bohart. I think you were the one who passed me on the first lap while I was on my back!! I did not have a great race. It was fun though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellefson
    good job at Bohart. I think you were the one who passed me on the first lap while I was on my back!! I did not have a great race. It was fun though.
    yes, I remember. I checked on you after the race? I saw a pic of you in the email that went around. http://www.gascyclingteam.com/bohart2007/

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    a lot of spandex in those pics, lol.

my road bike is a Harley
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    yes, I remember. I checked on you after the race? I saw a pic of you in the email that went around. http://www.gascyclingteam.com/bohart2007/

yep that was me. Have you ever done Thompson Park XC? I have one race left and I am either doing that or Big Sky. Not sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

thanks for for report

It's neat to see a good report from Bozeman show up on MTBR. Good account, good pics. Good show from you and your Dad.

Don't forget, that for an evening ride to escape the hot summer days, both Bohart and Bridger Bowl go into shadow after 6 pm and the riding is superb.

Members who have read this thread: 0