Bogus early spring heads-up- Mtbr.com
    jalepenio jimenez

Bogus early spring heads-up

While I've not been up there yet this spring, I thought it would be good for all to know of a confrontational situation developing between hunters and bikers just off of bogus basin road at mile post 14+.

It is ongoing now for more than a year and could become potentially dangerous for trail users.

An unauthorized trail in the vicinity has twice been littered with forest debris (stumps, logs, root wads, etc.) and last summer was booby trapped with nylon cord.

The Boise Co. sheriff dept. is aware, as is the usfs in Mountain Home (Moi Hererra.)

Remember to be courteous of all trail-users.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    White flatbed pickup is the vehicle to look out for...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    hmmm interesting to know, thanks for posting this MF. I think I know the trail you speak of and have heard of someone being harassed around it before, by a hunter. Is it unauthorized for everybody?

This makes me want to avoid it
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

jalepenio jimenez
    Ten four on the white Dodge flatbed, license plate ORION4 (the hunter). Often has an atv on board. Can be found in the vicinity of mile post 14+ any afternoon after 5:30 (Mon. thru Fri., earlier on the weekends) during bear hunting season, both spring and fall hunts. With the early snow melt, I would expect him to be making his daily trips to the area starting any time now.

Extreme resentment over the abundance of new trails in the area, including and especially the before mentioned trail which was cleared without official consent around the same time as BW.

This individual has attacked at least one mtn. biker and before the confrontation ended, threatened his life.

Moi Herrera w/ usfs Mtn. Home District law enforcement would like to hear from any individual who has a run-in with this dude. Any pics of booby trapped trails would also be helpful.

My advice is to avoid this group of individuals, especially if you are in that blissful state of solitary self flaggelation (lone rider.)
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

Hi!!!

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    Moi Herrera w/ usfs Mtn. Home District law enforcement would like to hear from any individual who has a run-in with this dude. Any pics of booby trapped trails would also be helpful.
    What is his contact info?

jalepenio jimenez

bs...

Moi Hererra works out of the Mtn. Home Ranger District, who by the way, are the agency who oversee the Bogus area. His phone (local call) is 587-7858, but he won't be with them much longer as I understand he has accepted a promotion and will soon be relocated. He is handleing the investigation into this incident.

If he isn't around, call Larry Donohoo usfs Mtn. Home district @ 587-7961 as he is also involved (if he is still around-these people move so often I really don't understand how they can ever get anything done.)

A further note: these bear hunters have baiting stations in the vicinity of the unauthorized trail mentioned earlier and are often in the woods where they may be encountered along said trail. One baiting station is approximately 200 yards east of this trail on an adjacent ridge about 1/4 mile below the pavement.

Bait stations, by law, are required to maintain 200 or 250 yards from maintained trails and until this unauthorized trail was cleared, these individuals remained passive on their resentment. They see it as them being there first.

Hoops - Big and Small

Bears at Bogus

Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    Bait stations, by law, are required to maintain 200 or 250 yards from maintained trails and until this unauthorized trail was cleared, these individuals remained passive on their resentment. They see it as them being there first.
    Belay and I got to see a good sized bear last year up at Bogus - kind of sad to think the bear may be gone. Belay might have a differnt story to tell, he had the heebeegeebee's, something about he thought he might taste good to a bear

Members who have read this thread: 0