Bike Trails near Glendo Wyoming- Mtbr.com
    I dream on two wheels

Bike Trails near Glendo Wyoming

Hello, I am coming up from Denver to do some camping over Labor Day weekend at Glendo Lake Wyoming and was wondering if there are any bike trails in the area. Any help would be great. Thanks.

-Simon

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    Hello, I am coming up from Denver to do some camping over Labor Day weekend at Glendo Lake Wyoming and was wondering if there are any bike trails in the area. Any help would be great. Thanks.

-Simon

So I guess there ain't shait up there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    So I guess there ain't shait up there?

Nothing that I know of.

There is a trail at Guernsey State Park that is pretty decent, but that is really not very close to where you will be.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Tracking up the place
    Guernsey has an excellent trail system, I wore my teeth on those trails, somewhat technical, good views, and variety of terrain, If you ride it, get with Dusty at the state park, he' knows the routes, I know a map exists, but, drive through the south entrance, take left and go over the bridge( Railroad over pass) and onto the dirt road, the dirt road will split and go north and east, there is parking area right at that Y... Park, look across the road to the south, and there is single track in the sagebrush... enjoy..It will take you around the hill and top and the run you to Newell Bay, then the overlook( wooden Bridge)(stairs are doable) then back to the bridge then over the road to Davis bay downhill, then across the road, onto Turkey Gulch upon onto the top with a right turn and to the cliff overlooks about 1000ft up, ride along the cliff trail to the castle, .When you eventually get to the castle it does not end there. Look along the fence line overlook and down the slope, there is trail that then runs down hill and follow that till you reach the lake... then take the 2 track road and head back, on the gravel road...It is very cool trail... and ridden regularly by folks from torrington..
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroow
    Guernsey has an excellent trail system, I wore my teeth on those trails, somewhat technical, good views, and variety of terrain, If you ride it, get with Dusty at the state park, he' knows the routes, I know a map exists, but, drive through the south entrance, take left and go over the bridge( Railroad over pass) and onto the dirt road, the dirt road will split and go north and east, there is parking area right at that Y... Park, look across the road to the south, and there is single track in the sagebrush... enjoy..It will take you around the hill and top and the run you to Newell Bay, then the overlook( wooden Bridge)(stairs are doable) then back to the bridge then over the road to Davis bay downhill, then across the road, onto Turkey Gulch upon onto the top with a right turn and to the cliff overlooks about 1000ft up, ride along the cliff trail to the castle, .When you eventually get to the castle it does not end there. Look along the fence line overlook and down the slope, there is trail that then runs down hill and follow that till you reach the lake... then take the 2 track road and head back, on the gravel road...It is very cool trail... and ridden regularly by folks from torrington..
    Cool, thanks for the detailed info, its only about 35 miles from the campsite so that will be perfect. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Glendo Mtn Bike Trails

There are now mountain bike trails at the southeast end of Glendo Reservoir, on the hill just north of the dam (Sunset Point, I think). I found out about these from a co-worker; you will not find any mention of them (yet?) in state park info or signs. I think he told me these were built recently by a club (thank you, club!). Follow park signs to the dam, proceed north of the dam, and there is a parking lot at the dam overlook on the south side of the park road. Small white signs on wood posts mark bike trailheads at the west end and north of the parking lot across the road.

Although I am NOT a skilled technical rider, to me these are technical trails: very rocky, uneven, narrow, winding/switchbacking, in places steep within dense, close brush/trees, outcrop, and adjacent to cliffs (eek!). Even at the slow speed I was riding/walking, I think I rode most of the trails within an hour, so the trail loop system is (currently?) limited, but they're interesting enough to ride them a few times. Trails are well signed at intersections, and I found my way OK even without a trail map (if one exists, I have not found it). I was very glad I wore a helmet and elbow and knee pads, though I still scraped up my calves/ankles on adjacent rock. Next time I will use flat pedals; I kept falling over because I couldn't extract my feet from clips quickly enough to catch myself. Just when you think you're on an easy, flat part, watch out for the prickly pear...Beautiful views of the reservoir, Laramie Peak and Range. Abundant developed public camping, swimming, and boating nearby within the park

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A trail map is on this site. The state is a little slow I guess.

Fat Fish Racing: Trails

Tracking up the place
    Haven't been on here for awhile.. Cool Glendo seems to be rockin a system.. FAT FISH is getting er done as they say.. Great job Guys/Gals..Love the blog..
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

jolly
    Apr 2012
    Glendo has some pretty good trails now and are working on getting more. I have ridden them a couple times and most are intermediate and one expert. Cross the dam and the first parking area is where you start.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004
    I haven't ridden this one, but it looks nice and seems to be in your neighborhood.

Harris Park Mountain Bike Trail in Wheatland, Wyoming || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    There will be more trails built this year (2012). If you are in need of a map stop at the entrance booth and ask for one or stop at the park office. It can be hard to find someone at the office at times though. They told me that new maps should be available in June. The current map is several years old and is outdated, but it shows most of the trails.

There is just over ten miles of trails, currently. I was told that there would be more built this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I stopped in at Glendo today. I didn't do any riding, but I picked up a new trail map. They had just come in, in fact they came in today. They said that a contractor, Singeltrack Trails, is on site building more trails right now.

I stopped and looked at some of the trails. I need to get out and ride them.

mtbr member
    Here is a video somebody made of the trails there....very high quality vid and the trails look great. Thought it would be good to update this thread for future reference.

I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Damn, I had no idea Glendo had a trail system! I should try to make it up there sometime before the snow flies! Thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How does Glendo trails compare to Curt Gowdy? Not sure I want to drive that far for only a few miles of trails.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004
    I wouldnt' bother to make the drive from Laramie to Glendo unless I've ridden Gowdy about a thousand times and was just dying to do something I hadn't already done a thousand times. Glendo has some interesting singletrack, but it doesn't really compare to Gowdy, especially in terms of the amount of mileage that one could actually get stoked about.

I'd say it might also be worth the trip if there's a period between Gowdy gets snowed in and when Glendo gets snowed in--I suspect being out there on the prairie with the chinooks, it probably has dry periods when Happy Jack and Gowdy don't--could be a good winter or shoulder season destination.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Comparing Glendo to Gowdy is like comparing apples to oranges. They each offer something different. Different terrain, different soils, etc. Glendo does not have as many miles of trails as Gowdy does, yet. I would guess that there is over 25 miles of trails at Glendo and more is being built right now. When they are done, Glendo will have more miles than Gowdy. The plan calls for 65 miles of trails at Glendo when finished. The quality of ride is comparable to Gowdy.

One benefit of Glendo is that people have not discovered it yet. There are more riders in one day at Gowdy than there is at Glendo in two weeks. I have only ran into other riders twice at Glendo. It is nice to have the trails all to yourself at times.

People say that the trip to Glendo is not worth it yet. That is false. I know of people that have travelled for over 3 hours to come and ride Glendo, when Gowdy would be only an hour and a half away.

A pump track was also built at Glendo this year. It is located in the Two Moon Campground along with new trails built within the same campground.

Members who have read this thread: 0