Big Sky Mountain Biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Big Sky Mountain Biking

Don't know if anyones rode there yet. Went this morning for first time.

First run ripped rear tire/tube. Second run bent new Avid Code rotor, Third run went OTB and lost most the skin off my right thumb. Fourth run went good. I think my rear hub is toast, or just loose. Oh yeah, And pinched the second tube too.

Was fun for my first Lift-accessed DH.
    No pics, next time for sure.

jones'in
    How are the new trails? Since this was your first lift accessed day, this may be a hard question to answer. But, everyone I know is waiting for someone else to go test out the new stuff (since they moved over to Andesite this year). Worth the gas and the lift ticket?

Thanks for any info you can provide!!

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    There were about 7 trails open. 4 Specific to biking. 4 of them were pretty gnarly, others more relaxed. All the trails were dry. The techy trails were a little rough and slow for my liking. Woulda helped if I didn't lose my gloves and get blisters on my hands after 2 runs.
    Oh yeah, lots of snobby rich arses. The Blue Room trail is one of the 2 double blacks open. That where most of my carnage happened. Fell everytime I wen't down, haha. Steep and filler with ruts= cartwheels.

Definitely worth the gas and ticket. I went from Livingston with gf- she didnt ride though. If you plan on going message me. Maybe I'll have my bike sorted out by then, haha.

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Nice to see they opened up more stuff.

mtbr member
    What kind of bike are you riding? How long have you been riding?

mtbr member
    07' Marin Quake 7.2. First season with DH/FR bike. Moved here from Minneapolis last year. Raced BMX then got P.2 for street & DJ.

mtbr member
    Are you running single ply tires? Single ply tires stink in Montana.

Looks like you need some armor. Ive got a set of new TLD Brian Lobes shin gaurds for sale if interested.

mtbr member
    I had that single ply on the rear, until I shredded it. The guys at Big Sky sports actually went and found a used 2.6 Marzocchi tire and gave it to me! Pretty cool of them. Tube was still $10.50! Haha. Managed to blow that one out too, haha. Had good pressure in both tubes.

No thanks on the shin guards. When I do get some armor I'm looking for knee guards. Still need some sort of MTB apperal too. Don't have any LS shirts or biking shorts.

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Bracket Creek pic?

I think I seen you around on Sypes maybe, or Truman.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

"Oh yeah, lots of snobby rich arses."

"Oh yeah, lots of snobby rich arses."

What did they do to you????? Can't figure out from your post what happened?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetDirty
    I had that single ply on the rear, until I shredded it. The guys at Big Sky sports actually went and found a used 2.6 Marzocchi tire and gave it to me! Pretty cool of them. Tube was still $10.50! Haha. Managed to blow that one out too, haha. Had good pressure in both tubes.

No thanks on the shin guards. When I do get some armor I'm looking for knee guards. Still need some sort of MTB apperal too. Don't have any LS shirts or biking shorts.

The TLD Brian Lobes are shin and knee guards.

http://www.go-ride.com/ProductDetail...000-1169848244

The TLDs are great pads.

mtbr member
    The TLD guards look good. I'm looking for knee pads only.

The older folks in Big Sky were pretty rude. No one held the door for my GF, not that it's a law or something. They step in front of you like they are something. They walk with their noses held high. Are you from there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMT
    Bracket Creek pic?

I think I seen you around on Sypes maybe, or Truman.
    Yup, that's Brackett. That is the only trail I have been to on my Quake before going to Big Sky.... Don't even know where Sypes and Truman are?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

thanks

The older folks in Big Sky were pretty rude. No one held the door for my GF, not that it's a law or something. They step in front of you like they are something. They walk with their noses held high. Are you from there?
    Just curious and thanks for explaining.

mtbr member

Im not from Big Sky. Im from Missoula and now live up by Kalispell/Whitefish. Fernie is real close.

I reccommend the 661 Kyle Strait knee pads. I like both knee and shin guards myself. I hate to shin myself at resorts. We will have to meet up at Big Sky. We are planning a trip in Aug.

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    lol, guess it wasn't you then. I never seem to notice bikes, only helmets...and always se a guy with a brown full face.

May 2005
    I'll hopefully be riding up there a few times in late August once I leave work in Kellogg and go back to Bozeman for school. I'm hoping the new trails are good, because riding at Silver has made me used to uhhh....what's it called again? Oh yeah, berms and flow.

jones'in
    Any new trail reports yet? Anyone managed to take pictures of the new stuff yet? My weekends are so booked up w/ family stuff, that I can't seem to make it down there. Aug 23/24 might be my first trip this season....anybody else wanna go one day that weekend?

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

mtbr member
    I have a Syncros/Factory downhill hub if your interested. 135mm spacing, 10mm through bolt axle. I bought it at a mislabled weight thinking I could use for XC.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I went down there this weekend. They're making progress, but I wouldn't go back till they open up swift current or get some features and flow going on. Blue runs have WAY to many switchbacks, black runs basically go straight down the fall line without many drops or jumps or nice berms, there's not much flow in them either. There are 2 double blacks open, one is pretty fun, but short, and you have to ride a blue run most of the way out. Rampage is a fun run, but a lot of people were on it that shouldn't be, so watch out.

jones'in
    mxracer:
    Thanks for the update! That's the most useful information I've gotten from anyone to-date...
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Language skills= ability to learn.
    That is all.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Language skills= ability to learn.
    That is all.
    WTF, over?
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

Coors, the american beer.
    rode it today, lots of vert ... rode pretty much every trail except for the double black that paralelles the lift to the west i think (cant remember the name)

not bad for a guy on a 5" travel bike though
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Coors, the american beer.
    rode REVENGE today which was the one that i was too chicken to hit yesterday .... was told to hit the bypasses, well first time i missed it and went off the cliff, landed that, then biffed off the little ass log after it into the 2' tall trees

but did good overall and now am in helena gonna ride some black forest stuff tommorow.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Aug 2008

Lone Peak

Does anybody know if the old downhill trails are going to open up next summer? When I went up there a few weeks ago nobody was giving me a straight answer. I moved up here from Kansas City and I'm looking for trails trails with freeride stuff. Any out there?

Members who have read this thread: 0