Big Sky Mountain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Big Sky Mountain

I am planning on taking a trip out to Montana. I had heard of Big Sky Resort and Mountain. I checked out there website and they say that they have a freeride park and downhill trails. There website doesn't have much information on the trails and pictures of the trails. I'm into freeride and some downhill. Does anyone have any thoughts about this place? Any pictures? What kind of rental bikes do they have?
    Thanks

http://www.bigskyresort.com/activiti...ct_sbs_sce.asp

mtbr platinum member
    Big Sky resort has really improved over the past 2-3 years. Click here for some information that I posted over on the Turner board. There are some pictures of the terrain park which includes a buch of table-top jumps in sequence, a wall ride, and some ladder sections.

As for rentals, the bike shop in the village rents Rocky Mountain bikes in a 5" and 7 or 8" flavor. My brother-in-law rented the 7" bike which had a Marzocchi Drop-off double-crown fork, Hayes 8" Mag brakes, Marzocchi 2.5" tires, etc. Don't bother with the 5" bikes.

Hope that helps.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Here's a link to the main (only?) bike shop at the resort. They have good resolution trail maps of cross country rides in the vicinity. I did the Storm Mountain ride and it was most enjoyable. If I recall correctly, I purchased some parts including new cables and housings, and the mechanic offered to install them for free. Stop by when you visit!

http://www.grizzlyoutfitters.com/pag...ry_summer.html

UpHiller
    G.A.S. is by far the best shop in Big Sky on many levels. They rent Rocky Mountain and Norco for DH bikes. Grizzly Outfitters is for tourists. They are both about 500ft from each other, but G.A.S. is a bit harder to find.

http://www.gallatinalpinesports.com/summer.html

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Last year Big Sky Resort opened the second week in June. With temps in the 50's+ this March hoping for a early opening.

just a man
    Ryan that looks schweetly fun. How long a drive from Boise? I gotta get out and roam around this summer, MT & WY would be fun.

Salad Days
    I rode there last summer a bunch, it was pretty fun. Rough, really rocky and dusty trails with some nice features built up. They don't do much trail maintenance there so it keeps things challenging.

Last edited by jparker164; 03-19-2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: photo links died, removed

SamIAm
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    I rode there last summer a bunch, it was pretty fun. Rough, really rocky and dusty trails with some nice features built up. They don't do much trail maintenance there so it keeps things challenging.

hey, so do u live in the bozo area or travel here to ride?
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Ryan that looks schweetly fun. How long a drive from Boise? I gotta get out and roam around this summer, MT & WY would be fun.
    I think it was about 8.5 hours from Boise to Big Sky, if I remember. We did it as a two day drive. Day #1, drive to Stanley and ride. Day #2, drive over to Big Sky. That made the drive more fun.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Members who have read this thread: 0