Big Mountain-finally- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Big Mountain-finally

Ok, Whitefish Mountain Resort. Check out their newer video called Runaway Train. The NEW DH trail is awesome. We finished it Sun. Big Mountain is finally coming around. Please let people know about this trail. We are really pushing Big Mountain to let us build more. The trail is SUPER dry right now, but will be real nice after a few good rains. It is Whistler quality IMO. Keep checking the website. The trail will be open soon.

AGAIN.... Please let people know about this trail.

http://www.skiwhitefish.com/videos.php

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

will have to hook up next visit

I grew up in Kalispell and am planning a family visit sometime in Sept. Will have to message you and check out the mountain. Last time I was there, they had the boring Forest Service trail leading to the bottom third (private) part of the mountain where the real trails were. Good stuff down there but once I realized how close Fernie was, stopped visiting Big Mountain. By the way, what is with the name change?

mtbr member
    We rode the DH trail today and did some finishing touches. They will be opening the trail to the public next weekend.

Im not sure what is up with the name change. There was too much confusion with Big Sky Resort and Big Mountain Resort. The resort closes Labor Day, better hurry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey where is the video on their website. Its not up, or is it just me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

Steel is Real
    Big Mountain is tight, i was there last summer and Big mountain definately kills it! can't wait to get back up there again.
    #twerkteam #younggohards #JRA
    Fixed gears aint broke // All mountain all the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idaho biker 90
    Hey where is the video on their website. Its not up, or is it just me?
    Its just you.

Click the link above.
    Go to newer video called Runaway Train.
    Watch video.

mtbr member
    GRAND OPENING. AUGUST 16th. Music, beer, and fun!!

I have 6 free tickets for Sat if anyone wants to check out the DH trail. Its awesome.

http://www.skiwhitefish.com/snowreport.php
    Last edited by kntr; 08-15-2008 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Did you mean August 16?

You mentioned the mountain closes after labor day weekend. That is sept 1st. Am I missing an important detail. I don't think I will make it up till mid to late september next.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Looks fun,
    is that you with the polasky

mtbr member
    Opps AUGUST 16th..... TOMORROW.

I cant believe I have 6 free tickets and only gave out 2.

No thats not me on the polasky. Its Jake. He was one of the head builders of the trail.

If anyone wants a free ticket, pick one up at Glacier Cyclery. Im going to give them the last 4 tickets in the morning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sorry for not looking. I just got home from work after working 11 hours. Somehow your guidance located the video for me. I just never decided not to look down on the page. I kept looking for the video on the upper part with all the ski videos and I was thinking "WTF! kntr said it was here damit".

Looks like a fun trail.

Thought that line was great "this trail is gonna be sweeeet". Good line. Thanks for posting about that. Maybe someday it will become a mini whistler, but as it stated in the video it took 7-8 years just to plan and build it then its might take a while. But hey you have PROGRESS and thats a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    About 50-60 riders showed up and everyone loved the trail. The only complaint I heard was the bike racks suck. After some more rain the trail will really kick some butt. THere are more trails in the works and they have been talking about opening up chair 6. I guess we will see what happens next season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    According to the site the big mountain express lift runs until the 7th, has that changed?

mtbr member
    Ive heard both.... the 7th and Labor Day. If the website says the 7th then I would trust that. You might want to call to make sure if you are planning a trip.

We got a little rain today and more is coming. The trail should be real sweet this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We just got back tonight, and it was great. Our trip was cut a little short, but we still had fun. We were planning on a day at the mountain and a day at Spencer, but the forecast drove us home. We did get in one lap at Spencer on Saturday evening though, so not all was lost. And, like I said runaway train was awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayray74
    We just got back tonight, and it was great. Our trip was cut a little short, but we still had fun. We were planning on a day at the mountain and a day at Spencer, but the forecast drove us home. We did get in one lap at Spencer on Saturday evening though, so not all was lost. And, like I said runaway train was awesome.

What day did you ride Runaway Train. I was up there Sat from 10am-5pm and I got 9-10 runs in. What were you riding?

It didnt rain on Sun or Mon. The forcast was wrong. You should have PMed me. I could have shown you around Spencer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We did runaway train on Sunday, Saturday evening we were at Spencer. Figures about the forecast....It won't be the last trip for sure, so I'll take you up on that offer next time we come.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The new trail looks great! I'm hoping to get out to Whitefish next summer since it looks like the lifts will be closed before I can take some time off of work this year.

mtbr member
    This is the last weekend. We will all be up on Sun. Try and make it. There are BIG plans for next year.

Members who have read this thread: 0