Big Boulder and Little Boulder creek loop - route suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

New question here. Big Boulder and Little Boulder creek loop - route suggestions?

Wondering which way is the "preferred" route to ride the Big/Little Boulder Creek loop in the White Clouds. Up Big, down Little, or vice versa? The Adventure map does not provide a suggestion - it just maps the route.

It *sounds* like climbing Big is relatively gentle, and riding out Little is OK. I've also read, on the other hand, that the downhill on Big Boulder is a hoot. Never done this ride/trail before, and the sticky post above has no intel on this ride.

Look out!
    Last year, my wife and I went out and back Big boulder after much discussion and reading Greg McRoberts trail description in his book. She was nervous about some of the technical riding down little boulder. We parked at the mine to avoid a bunch of dirt road riding. We turned around when we could see the frog lakes.It is a beautiful place. A bit of a drive from Stanley though, but overall worth the trip.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    I did it in early July this year. I too looked at the map and read Greg's description but decided to go counterclockwise. We camped near the Big Boulder Creek trailhead to negate the 4.5 mile climb of ~1000' of jeep road. Little Boulder is more of a primitive, backcountry trail, whereas Big Boulder is a serious benchcut multi-user trail that climbs with a steady grade of ~450'/mile. I'm sure it would be fun to come down but on a weekend there will be lots of other trail users. Besides the descent down Little Boulder is a hoot. Fast, flowy with lots of chunk thrown in to keep it interesting. Something else to consider is that the lower half of Little Boulder is exposed and desert-like, whereas most of Big Boulder is shady and in the trees if it's hot out.

I posted a TR in the AZ forum with some pics from the ride. The White Clouds rock.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=639522
    Last edited by rockman; 08-24-2010 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would rather descend little. Either way is fun. If you climb little boulder its all single track and if you do big you climb road and descend some great single track.
    Another cool trail is to continue up little boulder toward chamberlin basin. At the top is one of the coolest mtn. views you'll get on a bike...castle peak, chamberlin basin, railroad ridge...awesome stuff. Either out n back or go into chamberlin creek and out germania (fairly hard, but worth it). The east fork has some very fun stuff but just a touch more granny gear than a lot of folks like. enjoy it.Ryon
    If you do something often enough it tends to define you.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Don't forget to post a trip report. With lots of pictures.

And it had better be funnier than hell.

And it had better offend lesser mortals too.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Rockman - sweet Sportsmobile. I dig. A friend has one - in fact, he and his girlfriend live in it and took it on a cross country roundabout trip over the past year - and we used it as our "base vehicle" for the 18 Hours of Fruita in May.

Eh, I think I'm going to bail anyway. Rain, snow and thunderstorms forecast for this weekend up there. No thanks.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-25-2010 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Better with pics

I remembered this thread from a ways back.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=boulder

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlhrd
    I remembered this thread from a ways back.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=boulder
    Flip sent that one to me yesterday. I think I'll wait for a better weather weekend - maybe even a long weekday day trip - to try this ride.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    So much for a trip report...

Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Look out!
    Goodnight Chet,....
    Ride the bike.

Look out!
    Goodnight David....
    Ride the bike.

aaarrrggghh!

Up Big down Little

Park at the Little Boulder parking area and ride up the road to the single track and continue up Big Boulder to Frog Lake and down Little Boulder. I think this might be the best ride I've done in Idaho.

Better yet, do it on a rigid 29er. That would be so core.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've done this ride twice; both times counter-clockwise (up big, down little). IMO, riding up little's steep sagebrush at the start would really suck. I was out there about 2 weeks ago. The weather cooperated that day, but I had to scrap Antz basin/Williams creek the day before due to weather issues. I camped at Stanley Lake and had a couple of scary nights riding out the lightning storms in my tent! Full trip report coming soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0