Big Bikes in Hyde Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Big Bikes in Hyde Park

Maybe I'm the last to find out, but Big Bikes was sold to a guy named Jim Powers.

mtbr member

I heard it was sold...

but everyone was hush-hush on who it was sold to...
    Does anyone know who Jim Powers is? Over the summer, after I "retired", I thought about buying Big Bikes but S was asking too much (I thought) so I decided to just pay off my house and do the bike thing out of my garage to start (start very small.. hehe)... Hopefully the new ownership can get rid of "the curse".... It's an awesome location for a shop but for some reason, bike shops just do not survive in the North End.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    but everyone was hush-hush on who it was sold to...
    Does anyone know who Jim Powers is? Over the summer, after I "retired", I thought about buying Big Bikes but S was asking too much (I thought) so I decided to just pay off my house and do the bike thing out of my garage to start (start very small.. hehe)... Hopefully the new ownership can get rid of "the curse".... It's an awesome location for a shop but for some reason, bike shops just do not survive in the North End.
    I was told Jim is a bike racer (raced 45+ with the George's team last year). My friend knows his neighbor, and says JP is pretty excited. Even had a celebratory dinner.

I don't think there is a curse. It's very obvious why Grossman, Todd and Jake did not make it. I'm excited to see what Big Bikes turns into. It'd be nice to have a competitive bike shop in town.

Here's hoping the owner knows a thing or two about customer service.

mtbr member

If Jim rides a Trek OCLV...

I think I know him... Amazing how we all know people by first name and bike... If the same guy, he's a super nice dude... fast as heck.

mtbr member
    May 2004

What's the obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I was told Jim is a bike racer (raced 45+ with the George's team last year). My friend knows his neighbor, and says JP is pretty excited. Even had a celebratory dinner.

I don't think there is a curse. It's very obvious why Grossman, Todd and Jake did not make it. I'm excited to see what Big Bikes turns into. It'd be nice to have a competitive bike shop in town.

Here's hoping the owner knows a thing or two about customer service.
    Business acumen, customer service, what?

It is strange. I mean, what better location for a bike shop in Boise?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

I think...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Business acumen, customer service, what?

It is strange. I mean, what better location for a bike shop in Boise?
    Having dealt with both Jake and Sean, I think their ventures failed for different reasons. Jake is a super nice guy, but I heard some interesting things about his business practices. Sean frankly creeped too many people out - yours truly included. Just because you know bikes DOES NOT mean you can own a shop or deal effectively with people. Todd's shop on State St. was good, but it seemed like he tried to be too many things for too many people when he moved to Hyde Park. Coffee Shop + Bike Shop = no business. Looking forward to seeing what the new incarnation of Moo's/Big Bikes will bring.

mtbr member

Amen to that brutha...

You hit the nose right on the head... Sean, the first and ONLY time I went to Big Bikes (for a tube purchase nonetheless), proceeded to lecture me about how tight I should have my QR's... Geeze, I've only been riding and working on bikes for 15 years, ya think I would've figured out how to properly open and close those things... Same experience for about 95% of the people I bike with... Go in once, never go in again... Hopefully Jim will be successful!

G

King of the Barneys

Smile So here's my Sean story...

You hit the nose right on the head... Sean, the first and ONLY time I went to Big Bikes (for a tube purchase nonetheless), proceeded to lecture me about how tight I should have my QR's... Geeze, I've only been riding and working on bikes for 15 years, ya think I would've figured out how to properly open and close those things... Same experience for about 95% of the people I bike with... Go in once, never go in again... Hopefully Jim will be successful!

G
    I wanted to like him, because I really liked Jake, missed him and how he'd let you go in there and "help" him work on your bike, and shoot the bull. No pressure to buy if you dropped in to browse and just talk riding. And he really liked to talk.

So I'd go in to visit with Sean, and every single time after we'd been talking a while, he'd go into great detail about his racing victories, then he'd introduce himself as if we'd never met before. After this happened about 4 or 5 times in 2 months, I just figgerd he'd probably fell too often without a helmet.

And I was never very comfortable with Todd, as if browsers and ters weren't really welcome, "so spend money or get the hell out!" Probably the pressure of the Spanish condition of No Mas Dineros that may have affected the shop's friendliness. But the gal who wrenched in there was pretty helpful to me once.

I'm not one of these guys who likes to hang around and waste your time and money with talk, but a little brief, friendly rapport can go a long ways toward building mutually beneficial relationships.

Not to denigrate either of these guys, as I haven't walked in their shoes. But in real life I do a lot of small business work and consulting, and know that (among other things) you need to recognize your customers and be friendly if you want to grow and stay profitable.

Hope the new guy makes a go of it.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been going into Moo's since an Asian-American named Simon owned it. Before that it was a Jim's (?) which used to be across the street where Goody's used to be (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I was just a kid). Jake was always friendly and I like him but there are some mtbr posts from years ago that are eye-opening which match local stories.

I swore I'd never go back into Shawn's shop but 6 months later I'd be in the area... and a different "weird" Shawn would almost verbally acost me while scaring off a potential customer in the process. It was almost funny but sad. I don't want to say he was on serious meds or crank, but others have.

I had a Santa Cruz Superlight one time and he asked what I rode. Told him. Then he basically said, "How could you own one? I'm the only SC dealer in town," and when I told him I had an Intense Spyder on a visit 6 months later he laughed and wanted me to defend the purchase over his Blur. Only shut him up when he found out I paid LESS for the Spyder than his Blur through a deal; he turned his back on me and left to go talk to some tubes or belittle a SRAM chain. Who knows. I've probably been in the Shawn shop a total of 6 times and each visit was hysterical, horrific and eye-opening. My friends or co-workers would come back with, "You'll never believe what just happened in Hyde Park today." My response was always, "Let me guess: Either the girls at Parrilla Grill flashed you, or you went into Big Bikes."

Todd was nice and so were his employees, but when Giant and Independent Fab and K2 yanked their accounts, the writing was on the wall. Then he put in that ridiculous coffee shop months before filing bankruptcy. Anyone notice how the tea and yoga biz went out faster than a snake-bit tube in the same locale? A Java is opening soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    I wanted to like him, because I really liked Jake, missed him and how he'd let you go in there and "help" him work on your bike, and shoot the bull. No pressure to buy if you dropped in to browse and just talk riding. And he really liked to talk.

So I'd go in to visit with Sean, and every single time after we'd been talking a while, he'd go into great detail about his racing victories, then he'd introduce himself as if we'd never met before. After this happened about 4 or 5 times in 2 months, I just figgerd he'd probably fell too often without a helmet.

And I was never very comfortable with Todd, as if browsers and ters weren't really welcome, "so spend money or get the hell out!" Probably the pressure of the Spanish condition of No Mas Dineros that may have affected the shop's friendliness. But the gal who wrenched in there was pretty helpful to me once.

I'm not one of these guys who likes to hang around and waste your time and money with talk, but a little brief, friendly rapport can go a long ways toward building mutually beneficial relationships.

Not to denigrate either of these guys, as I haven't walked in their shoes. But in real life I do a lot of small business work and consulting, and know that (among other things) you need to recognize your customers and be friendly if you want to grow and stay profitable.

Hope the new guy makes a go of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I've been going into Moo's since an Asian-American named Simon owned it. Before that it was a Jim's (?) which used to be across the street where Goody's used to be (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I was just a kid). Jake was always friendly and I like him but there are some mtbr posts from years ago that are eye-opening which match local stories.
    How long ago was that? I've never been to Big Bikes, but went to Moo Cycles a few times in the mid 90's. First time I walked in, I asked for a star-nut, for a new fork I had to install. The guys working there tossed me two. (one for alloy steer, one for steel). "No charge dude," they said. After that, I bought more than a few components from them. I could have got stuff cheaper over the net, but I liked having a local shop with such great customer service. Don't think I ever met the owner.

mtbr member

Wrenches

I have to admit that Moos and Big Bikes have had good wrenches... Zane, Nikkos, George to name a few... Good guys...

Hi!!!
    I think that Jake guy (if it's the same one I'm thinking of) lived in my dorm (Chaffee Hall @ BSU) a long time ago and I think we had some classes together. Hell I could be entirely messing him up with someone else though.

I ain't no smart guy. But can a bike shop in the NE really be succesful? I'm guessing that rent is high in Hyde Park and personnel costs are always one of the biggest budget items in a biz. Can that small of a bike shop sell that many bikes and do that many tune-ups to stay in a seasonal business? Ehhh but then again Idaho River Sports has been around for a while.

mtbr member

Rent and Stuff...

When I was looking into buying Big Bikes, I received a copy of the financial reports. The rent was surprisingly low (just think about it... the barber and the used book store/post office have remained in business primarily because their rent is "grandfathered", i think the same rule was in effect for Moos/Big Bikes but not for Goldy's) and the sales were definitely there (although declining) but Inventory was sky high. I think the biggest cause for failure for the shops in that location is lack of customer service or the quality of customer service. Oh yeah, some of the expenses were out of line as well (IMHO). Also, weird hours at times (closed on Sundays, closed on race days, etc...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I was looking into buying Big Bikes, I received a copy of the financial reports. The rent was surprisingly low (just think about it... the barber and the used book store/post office have remained in business primarily because their rent is "grandfathered", i think the same rule was in effect for Moos/Big Bikes but not for Goldy's) and the sales were definitely there (although declining) but Inventory was sky high. I think the biggest cause for failure for the shops in that location is lack of customer service or the quality of customer service. Oh yeah, some of the expenses were out of line as well (IMHO). Also, weird hours at times (closed on Sundays, closed on race days, etc...)
    I think Big Bikes was closed on Wednesdays, or something weird. Open from noon to six, too. I also think word of mouth is the biggest cause for failure.

Hoops - Big and Small

Great Thread!

I wish I had more to add to the thread - Bike Shop Owners of the North End - sounds like a horror story. Everybody pretty much covered all my experiences also.

I saw the new owner saturday morning before my effort up trail five. He did'nt introduce himself while I was drooling over the bling in the window (SC SS). That's all right - I won't hold it against him. Can't wait to see the new shop!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    I wish I had more to add to the thread - Bike Shop Owners of the North End - sounds like a horror story. Everybody pretty much covered all my experiences also.

I saw the new owner saturday morning before my effort up trail five. He did'nt introduce himself while I was drooling over the bling in the window (SC SS). That's all right - I won't hold it against him. Can't wait to see the new shop!
    Yeah, maybe he's still in "I can't believe I own this place" shock. Heck, I didn't talk to my "new" coworkers for a week when they moved me into a new cube.

So I assume you're saying Shawn is gone? If so, I'm going in today to check things out without fear of hearing him shout, "Heeeey, heeeey. Whatcha doin'/what can I help you with/who are you/why are you here????"

Hoops - Big and Small

Welcome the new owner to the Hood

Yeah showing up to check things out sounds like a good a idea - See how the "just stopped by thing goes"

Another S story - I returned some cruiser pedals for a return/refund, he throws them across the wrench room hitting the wall landing in the trash can (seems like he had perfected his throw). After that the guy had me so spooked - the rage in his eye's. I think I said "their just peddles man" - not a good thing to say when somebody is lookin to unload a little steam. In S's defense he did replace the peddles, just not something I wanted to experience again.

mtbr member

While building up another SS, I saw this...

I forgot I bought this from Jake a few years ago....
    Attached Images Attached Images