Best Powder Coat Shops in Town?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Best Powder Coat Shops in Town?

Can anyone recommend some good Powder Coat shops in the area?

mtbr member
    does it have to be in this area? what about spectrum powderworks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    does it have to be in this area? what about spectrum powderworks?
    No... I don't have a problem sending it to a shop out of the area. Just want to make sure they do good work. Do you have experience with Spectrum?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114
    No... I don't have a problem sending it to a shop out of the area. Just want to make sure they do good work. Do you have experience with Spectrum?
    no personal experience with spectrum (i had my Lua frame powdercoat by Western Powdercoaters locally for $40). but the next repaint I do will be with spectrum. check out their work:
    http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can anyone recommend some good Powder Coat shops in the area?
    http://www.customcoaters.com/html/idaho.html does good work.

My last frame went to a place in Parma (I was in the area for several weeks). Jim's, I think.

let freedom ring!

powdercoat

try Lynn Industries, in Garden City. Powdercoating, anodizing, just about anything you need done.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Then you might look into Olympic Powdercoating in Santa Ana, CA. Mark Cherry is the owner and had the contract for GT Bicycles when they were hugh, still powdercoats the Turners, and also does a lot of other projects, but they KNOW bikes.

slownfat
    Ditto on Lynn's in GC. I have had them do several of my bikes, including my current road bike. They do nice work. They might not have been the cheapest I found, but they were local, fast, and did nice work.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    What are you getting coated, and what color?

My dad is the head engineer at manufacturing plant that has powdercoating...
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    What are you getting coated, and what color?

My dad is the head engineer at manufacturing plant that has powdercoating...
    I am considering powder coating a set of Mavic 823s white. I am building an M3. The 888s have white lowers, the frame is British Racing Green, and someone, who will remain nameless, put this suggestion in my head that white wheels would be pretty sick with that set-up. I tend too agree. I would just as soon buy some white rims but I can’t find a company that makes white UST DH/FR rims. Maybe I could be convinced to just go with some white Syncros wheels and run the Stans tubeless set-up, but I just don’t know if that is wise, as good or as “effective” as running a true UST setup. Or maybe, I just don’t know what the hell I am talking about. Now you all know “the rest of the story.”

Any suggestions would be great.

Hoops - Big and Small

Syncros

Any suggestions would be great.
    http://www.syncros.com/wheels.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn

I like the Syncros wheels but they are not UST. I am not sure if I can run a tubeless set-up with those wheels as effectively with a UST wheel... if that makes any sense.

Hoops - Big and Small

UST blah blah blah

I like the Syncros wheels but they are not UST. I am not sure if I can run a tubeless set-up with those wheels as effectively with a UST wheel... if that makes any sense.
    From the Syncros website

Bead Lock System™: Freeride tires run at low pressure are prone to rotate on the rim, eventually tearing the valve stem rim and causing flats. The patented syncros Bead Lock
    System™ prevents tire rotation on the rim, and is standard on DS 28 and DPS 32 rims.

I can't imagine that the powder coater you go with can paint a rim as good as Azonic or Syncros for a reasonable price.

Maybe the place in GC will let you prep the eyelets/bead surface and will be shooting a bunch of white a particular day and give it to you for a good price.

Spectrum doesn't even list rims on there website, gota think rims are fairly difficult.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Dude, seriously, don't start falling into those trends where you want to sacrifice your parts for a certain color. That is just illogical. The only thing that I would do is go for the rims you want, and get them powdercoated, or leave them alone.
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

aaarrrggghh!

Hehehe

someone, who will remain nameless, put this suggestion in my head that white wheels would be pretty sick with that set-up. I tend too agree.
    I'm nameless!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    I'm nameless!
    Just trying to protect the "innocent"... anyways, this is way to much work and I am going to just leave well enough alone. Although, I agree white wheels would be pretty hawt.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    It appears that you won't be painting them still, but here is just a company (out of town) that has some awesome paint jobs:

Dekerf Paintshop
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbykr06
    It appears that you won't be painting them still, but here is just a company (out of town) that has some awesome paint jobs:

Dekerf Paintshop
    Thanks for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Powdercoating

I just had my frame powdercoated at Coatings Plus in Garden City. They did a great job and they have hundreds of colors to choose from. Talk to Frank and tell him Chris sent you. The ph.# is 208-377-0900.

Hi!!!
    Sorry for bumping up this thread, but I have several questions....

1) So are we looking at under $50 to have a frame and fork done?

2) Do they sand off the old paint or just paint over it?

3) What are the downsides to just grabbing a spray can and doing it yourself (other than not looking too good)?

This all is related to my soon-to-be worked on SS downtown beater bike. I just want a solid color that doesn't scream "STEAL ME!!". Maybe pink to match my Giro Xen.

slownfat
    I'm not sure what they'd do just a fork for, but the whole bike cost over $100 to have done, but that also included the sandblasting. I went with bare metal and had it covered in clear coat. the raw metal looks great and if it chips ever, it is easy to get some clear nailpolish and fill in the chip without having to match it up. I added some basic stickers to personalize, and there you have it. Nobody can tell who made the bike (and thus what it was worth and if it is worth stealing) and it matches anything I'm wearing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I paid $75 for a full suspension frame (three pieces). They will sandblast all of the old paint,decals,etc. I thought it was a pretty sweet deal. I would also recommend getting a clear coat applied,which I did not.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by pstar
    I'm not sure what they'd do just a fork for, but the whole bike cost over $100 to have done, but that also included the sandblasting. I went with bare metal and had it covered in clear coat. the raw metal looks great and if it chips ever, it is easy to get some clear nailpolish and fill in the chip without having to match it up. I added some basic stickers to personalize, and there you have it. Nobody can tell who made the bike (and thus what it was worth and if it is worth stealing) and it matches anything I'm wearing.
    Pictures?
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

slownfat
    i'm sure somewhere i have pictures of the mtn bike i had done, but i sold it long ago for bigger and better. i still have the road bike i had done, it looks sweet. i even put a harley davidson sticker on the headtube. earthpig has seen it plenty. i'll try to take a picture of it over the weekend.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Yuh. The best powder coating in Boise was Bugger Basin this morning (despite the braille skiing off the top). Duh.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Try Class Act Coatings. Apparently they do a lot of OEM paintjobs, and is the only company that does paintjobs that Iron Horse will warranty their bikes on if they have been repainted.

[email protected]

slownfat
    DT, here is the road bike. couldn't find one of the old mtn bike. pictures aren't the best, but they do. what is cool about the clear coat is that on the road bike (steel is real!) you can see the brass braze-on they used to join the lugs together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Reviving an old thread...

Looking back at this old thread, Lynn Industries seemed to be the choice for local (Boise) powder coating. They are no longer listed in the phone book - at least not that I see.

Does anyone have experience with any other local powder coater? I have a frame that I'm thinking about having redone.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I used Coatings Plus last winter on my full suspension. Two different colors and 4 pieces total with front and rear triangle and two linkages. Cost 100 bucks and including sandblasting old paint off. I was very pleased with the results and the experience. Dealt with Frank and would recommend asking for him.

Horney 4 FR'ers
    Jun 2009
    Smoke an ounce of Herbal X and your bike will look good just the way it is.
    Last edited by Genius'er; 08-09-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    Novice BMXer, Intermediate MTBer, Semi-Pro FRer

Members who have read this thread: 0