BelaySlave-was this you?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BelaySlave-was this you?

Sep 2004
    Flip: Remember I told you I saw a kitty on Hulls a couple months ago? Saw it at 11am, appeared to be a younger cat, thought it was a dog at first, crossed the trail about 30 feet in front of me, didn't pay me no mind, scared the sh!t out of me anyway. Wonder if this was the same kitty? Poor creature.

Aug 2004
    First off...thanks Harley for allowing me to volunteer at the Bike Valet thingy. Sign me up again for next year...just not after a damn 8 hour REI Garage Sale shift. Man what a long day! It was a pretty mellow three hour shift.

Some observations....

Don't mean to stereotype, but damn you'd think this would be more North End-centric since it was called the "Hyde Park Street Fair". Well to be honest with you, it felt like I was at the Canyon County Fair instead.

What's the deal with alot of parents smoking and drinking around their little kids/babies? We saw this one idiot that was clearly drunk as snot and he appeared to either be babysitting or was the father of this very young girl. Uhhhh yeah....

I'm not a parent, but I'd be damn sure if my kid was gonna be riding around, he/she would be wearing a helmt no questions asked. I lost count at the number of kids riding around in the street dodging traffic and they weren't wearing a helmet.

No one brought me damn food!!!!!

Apparently I suck at riding Eric's fixie. I tore my pants...almost crashed into the back of a Toyota Camry...almost crashed again trying to get my pant leg out of the chainring. Ugh. Definately a different experience riding one of those versus something with a freewheel. I have even more respect now for folks that ride fixed like messengers.

A handful of people like to block alleys and driveways.

Hopefully I got a couple of parents signed up for the next Sprockids MTB class. They were genuinely interested in getting their kids riding.

Nick

just a man
    Great job Nick. My younger son was in the Sprockids camp this summer and loved it. He's really developing as a rider and look forward to him riding more with other youngsters. He also is doing really well around the pump track and rode the boulder feature (with a little help) and I have to attribute this to his time with Sprockids.
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 09-19-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Great job Nick. My younger son was in the Sprockids camp this summer and loved it. He's really developing as a rider and look forward to him riding more with other youngsters. He also is doing really well around the pump track and rode the boulder feature (with a little help) and I have to contribute this to his time with Sprockids.
    Do you know who his instructor was?

When I was volunteering on Saturday, a parent/kids class was just rolling in and all the kids were having fun. Seems like a really good program.

My first exposure to the Sprokids program was via Lauren Dorsch who at the time was running the program (she now works for the Girls Scouts). From what I can remember, she loved doing it.

Harley --- has there ever been any consideration with perhaps partnering with the YMCA? IIRC...the YMCA has done their own kid MTB'ing stuff in the past couple of years. Not sure how their program is structured, but maybe this is an avenue you and SWIMBA could explore in the future?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The HP Fair has been lame since it left Hyde park...

The Hyde Park Fair used to be a north end block party held around Lucky 13..........live music and beer.....good times.

It's now an annual event to be avoided........at least that's my take on it, and I live in the north end.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Do you know who his instructor was?
    I don't, I was at work when he was there. I believe one of them was one of the George's Front St. guys.

mtbr member
    Apparently I suck at riding Eric's fixie. I tore my pants...almost crashed into the back of a Toyota Camry...almost crashed again trying to get my pant leg out of the chainring. Ugh. Definately a different experience riding one of those versus something with a freewheel. I have even more respect now for folks that ride fixed like messengers.
    Sorry about your pants.

Riding that bike with real pedals is easier. The ones that are on it are really lame, but work well for my one mile commute to and from work. Once you're used to always pedaling, it become second nature. I occassionally try and stop my road bike fixie-style, only to find out that it freewheels.

The best part of commuting on it is practicing track stand at the numerous red lights along the way. Track stands are a lot easier on that bike, and the practice has made me better at it on all bikes.

And good seeing you at the Fair!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Aug 2004
    Is there a certain era of road bikes that has horizontal dropouts? Goin' fixed is pretty low on the list right now, but if I happen to come across an old roadbike with the correct dropouts, this may have to be something I try. I'm pretty sure I can find a flip-flop hub somewhere on QBP for pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Is there a certain era of road bikes that has horizontal dropouts? Goin' fixed is pretty low on the list right now, but if I happen to come across an old roadbike with the correct dropouts, this may have to be something I try. I'm pretty sure I can find a flip-flop hub somewhere on QBP for pretty cheap.
    The older the better... Horizontal dropouts came on pretty much all bikes prior to the the mid-1980s. Older bikes ('70 and early '80s) tend to have longer dropouts, which make for easier set-up, and the ability to run different sized cogs on the flip-flop hub.

My rear hub is made by Suzue. They're one of the more popular (and affordable) rear hubs. QBP would defintiely carry them. The Suzue Junior is very affordable, and from what a hear an okay hub. I have the Suzue Promax, which is a little more money, but a little better hub too.

Find a cheap bike (I paid $100 for mine, but you could find one for a lot less) and other than the cost of a new rear wheel, and possibly a new bar and stem, you're set. I made a little money back sellling off the deraillers and outer chain ring on the bike that I picked up.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    So what's the deal with Lucky 13? Is the owner going to sell it to Starbucks or what?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    So what's the deal with Lucky 13? Is the owner going to sell it to Starbucks or what?
    The last I heard was that L-13, the city, and the building owner were trying to work out the current situation. The plans on all parts is to keep L-13 alive. I hope that does not change.

8/30/06 article:
    http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/...d=oid%3A206408

The parking seems like a non-issue. There's no parking? Who cares? Most of the patrons are local, or ride their bikes to Hyde Park. More parking would make this less the case. Hyde Park is cool because it caters to locals and people willing to walk. Requiring parking lots would destroy the area's vibe.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Requiring parking lots would destroy the area's vibe.
    Yeah and the area's vibe is a touron attraction. I've seen courtesy vans from downtown hotels dropping off people in Hyde Park. If they want vibes the should go to Discrete Secrets.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Yeah and the area's vibe is a touron attraction. I've seen courtesy vans from downtown hotels dropping off people in Hyde Park. If they want vibes the should go to Discrete Secrets.
    I think it's something pretty unique. I've not lived anywhere else that has anything similar. Very few places have a restaurant/bar that is more or less at the city's major trailhead, where so many people congregate after rides/hikes/etc. I think part of the reason that Boise has such a vibtant bike/outdoor culture (and it does) is in large part to the Hyde Park district.

I watch bikes stream by my house in route to the foothills, downtown, and Hyde Park. Biking plays a major transportation role in the north end - and that is very usual in the US. Parking lots encourage people to drive. On street parking dsicourages drivers, and slows down those that do drive. I like it the way it is.

Let Meridian and Eagle build parking lots so that people can drive to every place on the map. I'd rather live somewhere where walking several blocks is the prefered method of transit.

It's cool if people come in from outside, but the layout should not cater to them.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    I don't, I was at work when he was there. I believe one of them was one of the George's Front St. guys.
    Yeah, it was my dad Keith Bickford, who no longer works at Georges. He and I were the ones teaching the class this weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0