BelaySlave crashes at Tamarack!- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

BelaySlave crashes at Tamarack!

First run of the day and right next to that first wall ride on Super G, I crash HARD!!! Not sure how I exactly crashed, but Super G was pretty chopped up and rutted and loose and just blah!!

As soon as my crash ended I was laying off to the side in a fetal position while the Yeti was in the middle of the trail. I'm not sure what the technical term is for the type of breathing I was experiencing...but it was that really short, panic, out-of-breath type of breathing. Man that really freaked me out!!! I didn't know what to think!

After what seemed like an eternity, I managed to get up and get my bike and moved off to the side of the trail and sat down. By this time I noticed that my right ribs and stomach were HURTING. Unfortunately, no one came by!!! I thought about trying to walk back up to the chairlift, but this dumbass decided to try to ride down to the bottom and get my ass into the medical center.

Well it wasn't easy...I first got to the dirt road and began riding that, but it seemed like I really wasn't working my way down. So I eventually got onto one of the trails and rode that for a lil' bit until another crossing with the dirt road...that is when I ran into two ladies and their kids. They told me to ride down the road a bit to Whitewater and they were gonna make it down and get someone to come get me.

Well I began riding down the road when I ran into a couple turning around in their truck and I caught a ride with them until we met up with the Tamarack driver and then he took me down to the clinic.

The doc looked me over and probbed and jabbed. X-Rays of my chest were taken and FORTUNATELY nothing looked askew. The doc said that if any more pain persists in the tummy region, that I probably should get over to a hospital and get an MRI. But he said any organ damage was unlikely....God I hope.

I made it home not too long ago and that was the LOOOOONGEST drive ever back to my trailer park. My right rib cage is pretty damn painful right now while my tummy is still hurting, but nothing too intense.

Overall not a fun experience today.
    *sigh*

Nick

King of the Barneys

Dang! :mad:

That's too bad Nick. Hope you heal up quick. Come by Lucky 11 tomorrow night and help yourself to some anesthetic.

I've broken ribs on several occasions, (hope yours aren't cracked) and know how it hurts. Heal up quick.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nick I have a few words for you:

One: Glad you're okay
    Two: IBUPROFEN!

just a man
    Aw man that sux - first run crash and massive painer. Eeash! I hope you sleep ok Nick, that sometimes can be a real chore to find a comfortable position. As one who has made some seriously stupid crashes, I empathize with you man...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Healing vibes to you man. I know the feeling. Get well soon and back on the trails.

Barneys Unite!
    Damn, man, that sucks. Hope you recover quickly.

TF

Hoops - Big and Small

First Run Blues

Sorry to hear about your splat - How's the Yeti? Hope your back on the horse and Dorkin the loop soon.

BTW I rode up in the Stack area a couple of weeks ago and there is some very good confidence inspiring fast single track that will help build up the downhill skills.

Heal up so we can bomb the Stack.

P.S. Is'nt biking and skiing similar - first/last runs are the killers, either not warmed up or tired and should be off the hill.

Aug 2004
    Thanks guys!

So far...the Yeti looks good...dirty and maybe a lil' bit bruised...but it somehow got me down to where I eventually got picked up. Even with nearly 6" of travel though....every lil' damn bump was painful riding down.

So far this morning, my abdomen no longer hurts. However my right ribs are sure hurting. I'll see how today goes...if I'm still in pain, I may go to the doc to get checked out again.

Barneys Unite!
    Forget yer bike -- did you break the new helmet?

mtbr member
    Heal up Nick! Just remember what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TFloyd
    Forget yer bike -- did you break the new helmet?
    I haven't ordered the bright pink Giro Xen yet!!! The Giro Havoc that I wore though is toast.

mtbr member
    go to the chiropractor. I've munged my ribs plenty of times wrecking bikes and a chiro makes quick work of it. Of course cracked or broken stuff is just time.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Thanks guys!

So far...the Yeti looks good...dirty and maybe a lil' bit bruised...but it somehow got me down to where I eventually got picked up. Even with nearly 6" of travel though....every lil' damn bump was painful riding down.

So far this morning, my abdomen no longer hurts. However my right ribs are sure hurting. I'll see how today goes...if I'm still in pain, I may go to the doc to get checked out again.
    I feel your pain.... well, not literally... but since I sprained my ankle which took me out of riding for about a month, I feel it...

After you heal you will have to go back and show that trail that you are not afraid though. Show it who is boss!...

mtbr member

Ouch

Sorry to hear about your crash Nick. Ribs are a tough one, they often take a long time to heal and seem to linger forever even if you only have a contusion/bruising. Let me know if you need them looked at, you can come into the clinic since we are right next to your stomping grounds of Mil Reserve. Email me if you need anything.

FYI, maybe some good karma, my girlfriend had the second look at her broken Fibula and the Ortho Doc says she is all good with a boot, no surgery. Hope yours ends up as bright in the end.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    hope you feel better soon nick! time to head to the movie store and stock up on swayze flicks to go with your bags of frozen peas
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

mtbr member
    Hey Nick, at least you were up there giving it hell, I've heard a few similar stories about Tamarack this year and I've been to chicken sh!t to get up there and give it a go. Hidden valley up at Brundage was about all this newb could handle this year. I salute you!!

Heal up bro.

Jan 2005
    I bonked my head on that wallride (literally on the wallride) on my first try... That corner must be haunted...

My tires slipped on it, and I fell right into it. Luckily it wasn't bad and I had the fullface on...

It always sucks to get hurt, especially right after starting...

Healing Vibes...

Trevor

Members who have read this thread: 0