Barking Spider- Mtbr.com

Thread: Barking Spider

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

Barking Spider

Anyone doing this race on Sunday? Anyone know what condition the Owyhees are in with all the rain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Cruised by the Hemingway Butte ORV late yesterday and from my roadside vantage point, the trails looked to be in quite good shape.

Hi!!!
    Are you preriding it on Saturday?

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

Preride

I think my girlfriend and I will preride it on Saturday at 9:00am to get familar with the course.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Planning on it

Quote Originally Posted by kuna
    Anyone doing this race on Sunday? Anyone know what condition the Owyhees are in with all the rain?
    I'm planning on racing tomorrow. I prerode the course yesterday. It was nice and dry out there yesterday afternoon, even though it was raining south of Kuna and Nampa on the way there. I think the Owyhees provide a nice little rain shadow for the course when the rain comes up from the south like it was doing yesterday.

Anyway, the course was in good shape with one HUGE exception - the bottom of the "Luke Skywalker" section on the east side of the road was totally destroyed earlier this week by a trail/road grader for about a mile, necessitating riding on 3 - 4" deep sand on the paralleling road for about a mile. Not fun. This destruction apparently happened sometime earlier this week, after Ron Dillon marked the course last weekend. (On a sidenote, what jackhole would do that?) Dillon is apparently aware of the damage, but as of 4 PM yesterday, he had had not been back out to re-route the course around the destroyed section.

Hi!!!
    Don't know if I will make it out there today.

If you were to compare the course (fixin' on doing the beginner race IF I make it there tomorrow) to something in the Foothills...what would it be like?

Thanks

Nick

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Latest update on the course

Here's the text of an email just sent this afternoon by Tyler Welshimer of Lost River Cycling regarding the Barking Spider course:

As noted late this week, the BLM (at about $250 an hour) decided to plow up about 1.5 miles of the Barking Spider mountain bike course in the Owyhees - even though the Barking Spider race is this Sunday and Wild Rockies had all the appropriate permits. Unless I'm mistaken, it's illegal for the government to mess with something it's granted a special permit for. But then again, maybe the reason our brave troops still don't have armored vehicles they need in Iraq is our government is too busy spending money on things that they euphemistically call "Trail Maintenance." Minus the euphemism, what it really should be called - and is - Trail Elimination.

Sheree and I came across Ron Dillon about noon today. The BLM folks responsible for the mess were no where to be seen. I commend Ron for being polite to the only BLM designee, a 22-year-old intern. An offer to "roll" the "trail maintenance" area was rejected. The area would still be too soft on Sunday.

Dillon chose a better alternative but more work for him - diverting the course for a brief stretch. The end result is the loop will be 9.5 miles instead of 9.3. Shortly after coming out of the skateboard wash, you'll hook a left before the "new piles" and go over several short, challenging hills. Then you'll turn right over some rolling terrain, right again and then left to return to the rest of the course heading up to the "Wild Thing."

End result - Dillon and his partner will have more callouses by this evening but we'll have good riding on Sunday.

Oh yes, and how do I know the difference between "trail maintenance" and "trail elimination"? Simple, when a multi-ton rock is in the middle of what was a trail a week ago - except for Superman - it's trail elimination because I can't bunny hop that high!

King of the Barneys

Thanks for the update,,

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Here's the text of an email just sent this afternoon by Tyler Welshimer of Lost River Cycling regarding the Barking Spider course:

As noted late this week, the BLM (at about $250 an hour) decided to plow up about 1.5 miles of the Barking Spider mountain bike course in the Owyhees - even though the Barking Spider race is this Sunday and Wild Rockies had all the appropriate permits. Unless I'm mistaken, it's illegal for the government to mess with something it's granted a special permit for. But then again, maybe the reason our brave troops still don't have armored vehicles they need in Iraq is our government is too busy spending money on things that they euphemistically call "Trail Maintenance." Minus the euphemism, what it really should be called - and is - Trail Elimination.

Sheree and I came across Ron Dillon about noon today. The BLM folks responsible for the mess were no where to be seen. I commend Ron for being polite to the only BLM designee, a 22-year-old intern. An offer to "roll" the "trail maintenance" area was rejected. The area would still be too soft on Sunday.

Dillon chose a better alternative but more work for him - diverting the course for a brief stretch. The end result is the loop will be 9.5 miles instead of 9.3. Shortly after coming out of the skateboard wash, you'll hook a left before the "new piles" and go over several short, challenging hills. Then you'll turn right over some rolling terrain, right again and then left to return to the rest of the course heading up to the "Wild Thing."

End result - Dillon and his partner will have more callouses by this evening but we'll have good riding on Sunday.

Oh yes, and how do I know the difference between "trail maintenance" and "trail elimination"? Simple, when a multi-ton rock is in the middle of what was a trail a week ago - except for Superman - it's trail elimination because I can't bunny hop that high!

not much seems to rattle Ron.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Ask Smilycook

he's on the soit dissant "blue ribbon committee" and buds with the BLM, perhaps he has an enlightened explanation.

SWIMBA disclaimer----
    Smilycook does not speak for me, including, but not limited to, any conjecture, planning, involvement, appeasement, cooperation therewith, and interaction with, any group, committee, commission, organization, NGO, NPO, smokers, quadriders, Jeep owners with more than 3" liftkits, anyone with a 2C license plate, rancher- grazer- blm permit holders, people with cutout metal plaques of hat tipped cowgirls and k'boyz in the driveway, people with horse trailers that cost more than my house, people who "chew", but not limited to motorcycle riders, except for said smilycook, who, in general, seem generally responsible, and compatible with MTB riders, to me .

Xylx-attorney at law
    (feel free to appropriate my disclaimer language for any posts)

Hi!!!
    Anyway, the course was in good shape with one HUGE exception - the bottom of the "Luke Skywalker" section on the east side of the road was totally destroyed earlier this week by a trail/road grader for about a mile, necessitating riding on 3 - 4" deep sand on the paralleling road for about a mile. Not fun.
    Holy crap that was hard to get through. I almost biffed it cuz my front tire dug in real good and turned. Luckily I was able to muscle through it and ride it out.

Unfortunately, Da' Nickstar was humbled today by preriding the course at a casual pace and therefore I've decided not to participate tomorrow in the beginner class. I looked at last year's result and I would have to scrub off at least 30 mins from today's time in order to have a decent finish. I've got the endurance. I *think* I've got the bike handling skills. What this brotha ain't got is outright speed . That is something I will have to work on this spring and maybe by the time the Idaho City or McCall races come around, I will be able to enter. Ugh. A lil' bit disappointed, but at the same time I'm pretty cool with my decision.

--------

Saw a guy biff it HARD on the "Fill Yer Pants Hill" or whatever the **** it's called....

I was off on the trail leading up to this hill watching him. He got off his bike to scan the hill. He then walked his bike back a bit and then hopped on and headed down. He was going fast and did not have his ass off the saddle and to the back. As he got down from the hill he started to hit those bumps pretty good going pretty fast. He started to bounce around and next thing you know he crashes. He was rolling around and moaning and then got up. I thought "HOLY **** I HAVE TO COME DOWN THAT ****ER!?!?!". I eventually made it to the top and got off and scanned it. Walked the bike back and rode down it. Rode the brakes pretty hard and had my ass off into Murphy. Back tire was sliding around a bit and I really thought I was gonna crash. Lo and behold I actually made it down pretty well and rid off to the parking lot. Didn't see the guy that crashed. Got to my rig and then looked off in the distance and saw him walking his bike back. I ran over to him to see if he was OK. He thought that maybe he messed up his right collarbone. We eventually made it back to his rig. He was riding a hardtail trek and the handlebar was cocked to the left. I threw the bike into his 4Runner. He was driving back to Hailey tonight. Ron came over and chatted with us and those two were going back and forth on injuries. Ron thinks that maybe he just had a bad bruise. The guy was able to painfully move around his right arm/shoulder but not above his head. I offered to give him a ride to Mercy Medical to get looked at but he thought he was gonna be OK and that was Ron's assessment too. I hope the poor guy made it back home. It was a pretty ugly crash and he was lucky to come out of it relatively unscathed. Ron was telling us that the preferred side to go down the hill was to go to the right and this guy went left. I went right.

I think that's it.

Nick

PS...good luck to everyone tomorrow!! Wish I could race too, but this brotha still needs some work to do!

Heck...maybe I'll go out there tomorrow and cheer everyone on!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Great race

Great race today. Ron Dillon should be commended for his re-route around the BLM's race-week idiocy. It lengthened the course a tad, and added a climb, but I'm not arguing. Great day. Photos are me at the finish and the 1-2-3 of the sport 30-39 class.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nooberific
    dang it... I would have loved to have been there.

I think I'm with nick.. it might have been a little too much for me this year, maybe next. Where the heck is the course out there? How did you find out about it? Sheesh, I'm in the dark...sniff.

Nooberific
    groan.. just found the map... I think I was out that direction today with my wife as a matter of fact..(Wilson Creek Road, not Reynolds Creek though)

Cool, I have ANOTHER trail to check out in the owhyees now.. Found a couple today I'm going back to in the near future.

Woo hoo!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Congrats on 3rd?

Ya Geoff,
    I'm assuming you got a podium finish. Congrats!

Nooberific
    although, according to the pic, geoff is niether male nor female... LOL

Good job man, I wish I was half as good

Hi!!!
    Congrats Earthpig!!!!

-------

Quote Originally Posted by adso
    I think I was out that direction today with my wife as a matter of fact..(Wilson Creek Road, not Reynolds Creek though)
    I was out at Wilson Creek this afternoon around 5pm. Only got in 7.56 miles. I had ZERO energy today. Did you run into alot of cows out there? Holy cow crap I did. I got pics of 'em but it will be a while before I upload 'em.

Cool, I have ANOTHER trail to check out in the owhyees now.. Found a couple today I'm going back to in the near future.
    If you are talking about the Barking Spider route, your best bet to ride at Hemingway Butte is during the week. On the weekends it's motorcycle/ATV hell!!!

Nick

King of the Barneys

Congratulations...

Great race today. Ron Dillon should be commended for his re-route around the BLM's race-week idiocy. It lengthened the course a tad, and added a climb, but I'm not arguing. Great day. Photos are me at the finish and the 1-2-3 of the sport 30-39 class.
    was kinda expecting to see the Ventana, but hey, great finish.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Nooberific
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I was out at Wilson Creek this afternoon around 5pm. Only got in 7.56 miles. I had ZERO energy today. Did you run into alot of cows out there? Holy cow crap I did. I got pics of 'em but it will be a while before I upload 'em.
    OMG yes, there were cows all over the place. Ami and I drove up to the top of wilson and chased a few off the road. Lotsa horse riders down there too. I rolled down the window and was mooing at one of the cows, I think I scared it. LOL

When we rode a little bit of the trail, I had a cow stand in the middle of the trail, I wasn't sure if it was going to move or not, we just stood there staring at each other. Finally it took off. Fun, yet kinda scary, those things are soo much bigger when you are not in your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    If you are talking about the Barking Spider route, your best bet to ride at Hemingway Butte is during the week. On the weekends it's motorcycle/ATV hell!!!
    Hmm.... thanks for the heads up, it would suck to get way-laid by a 4 wheeler.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

ageless

Quote Originally Posted by adso
    although, according to the pic, geoff is niether male nor female... LOL
    Yeah, and don't forget ageless. I'm Peter friggin' Pan!