Barking Spider- Mtbr.com

Thread: Barking Spider

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Barking Spider

Curious to know if anybody has raced the Barking Spider out near Nampa and what your thoughts were about the course, tire choice, etc.

Thanks for any info

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    The course is fun as all get out and it's the season kick-off.

But if you're coming from out of town and are set on a Boise event, the Coyote Classic is better and the 9-to-5 is bigger better (both use the same general course).

http://www.knobbytireseries.com
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The course is pretty fun, or at least it was a few years ago but I've heard it is changing once again to re-route from the bomber downhill. There was also a $5 parking fee charged the last couple years, bringing the race day total to $41 dollars which is steep for an event held on public BLM lands that usually doesn't include food or beer. If you had to choose between the Coyote or Barking, Coyote wins hands down due to cost, post race swag and course design.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Sparking Biter is fun. Great course. I've raced it 2 or 3 times. Fairly flat - no real long climbs. Perfect singlespeed race course. Coyote Classic is also fun. I'd say that Barking Spider would be a good race/course to try if you've never raced before, while Coyote is a bit more challenging. As for tire choice, fast rollers suited for hardpack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks everybody, my schedule only fits one in April and the B.S. is a national qualifier, I'm looking forward to racing in Idaho, maybe I'll see some of you there.

-Paul

Look out!
    Coyote Classic is also a national qualifier per their website. I would say if you like a faster less climbing race then go for the Barking Spider. Coyote has a few steep climbs but also some great screaming descents to go with those. Great fun either way.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bump...'cause its almost race time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Sparking Biter is fun. Great course. I've raced it 2 or 3 times. Fairly flat - no real long climbs. Perfect singlespeed race course.
    What gearing do you recommend for a 29er SS?
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0