Bamba- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bamba

mtbr member

Bamba

Hey all. I'm going to pull the trigger on this as I have enjoyed many good days at Velo Park. I don't know the politics between swimba and bamba. Hope they coexist well. Worst case, it is a cheap way to pay your IMBA membership.

(note, posted joyride url because they have online pay mech)

Boise_Area_Mountain_Bike_Association
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I sure hope it works.

I've seen too many cases where a core gets diluted by best-intentioned creation of new advocacy groups. Then the groups merge, only to be less affective than they were in the first place because of conflicting agendas and overt personalities.

Then the wildey plonkers can claim to divide and conquer and mountain bikers can lose any new half mile trail segments that the zero-dabbers enjoy teching on for a spectacular 13 minutes of YouTubery,
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Mark it on a calendar. Twisted is on topic.

I am leery too. Hope we all remember this is about advocacy and infighting only detracts from that goal.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Rocks Rock
    I'll help start SIWMBA and BAMBA groups in Tulsa if someone wants to be president.
    Am I being kind?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    The more mountain biking advocacy organizations the better. Even though I rarely ever go to the Velopark, it is a vital part of Boise's mountain biking "scene." It appears that BAMBA's main focus will be management of the bike park alone, whereas SWIMBA is more focused on trail advocacy and building. IMBA is interested in both "forms" of mountain biking and I know when the IMBA rep visited last summer that she met with the bike park folks. Bottom line, I don't see much if any crossover between SWIMBA's mission/focus and BAMBA's. Good to have another voice for mountain biking in the valley. Go join.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Additionally, it appears a main intial reason they're forming a club is the ability to get insurance through IMBA. Having dealt directly with IMBA and the agency that handles club insurance, as well as having many discussions about legal liability for trail building and the like with SWIMBA, having insurance at the bike park is a MUST. Buying it through IMBA is relatively cheap and the program is specifically written for places like the bike park.

So, go join. (I did.)

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    It figures the lawyers and insurance tools would spread their boiler-room circle jerk and litigation spray on yet another playtime activity. Stand up something fun and someone in a tie always shows up to squeeze the milk money out of it. It's no wonder I'm not buying an Earthpig Mini-Me plate.

BITD playgrounds were built on concrete and disputes were settled at the flagpole after school. America the Mediocre...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Better to pay a little to have some peace of mind in case some jerkwad misses the landing a 20 foot gap jump.

If that aint swole, I don't know what is.

mtbr member

Misleading

It appears that BAMBA may be a bit misleading. Why not just call it the "Eagle Bike Park Association" or the "Velopark"?

I don't see how this necessarily helps all of "Boise". By a similar logic, all of us here in Boise should also join CIMBA and all other Idaho organizations for its trickle down effect of supporting all mountain bikers.

I have not been to a SWIMBA meeting in some time. Could somebody enlighten me on the differences in focus from SWIMBA and the new BAMBA organization?

If I am reading between the lines it appears that the Velopark has lost all funding and the city of Eagle is saying, "if you want it, pay for it yourselves". Am I correct or far off?
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    In order to get become and IMBA chapter, there must be a broader spectrum for support, other than "Eagle" or "Velopark". "Boise Area" is broader and acceptable.

Funding for the Velopark (if you mean the oval), you are correct... dead-fish! No $ = No oval to ride on. -Dont think the "oval" has anything to do with BAMBA arrival.

Wandervans
    It is good to see the Bike Park getting things in order and I certainly hope that BAMBA can be successful. Both groups can certainly learn from each and build a stronger mountain bike community. SWIMBA is the old dog here and we have done a lot of amazing things over the years. There are not many trails in the foothills that have not benefited from SWIMBA. Plus SWIMBA played a vital role in the foothills levy!

The Following is a brief list of trails SWIMBA has been involved in:

• Shane’s - constuction and route
    • Buck Tail - maintenance
    • Rock Island - flagged and built by SWIMBA and R2R
    • Watchman - Grant to R2R
    • Fat Tire Traverse - Grant to R2R
    • Seaman’s Gulch - flagged and built by SWIMBA and R2R and REI
    • Hulls Gulch – Yearly maintenance ( adding rocks back into the trail)
    • Bob’s – Couple reroutes from Tending the Foothills projects
    • Red Cliffs - water and rut repair before reroute
    • Lower Tram Cliffs - reroute, flagging, and construction
    • Upper Central Ridge - construction
    • Scotts - ruts and water bar maintenance
    • 5 mile/toll booth - maintenance and brushing

Plus money for signs in foothills

• Wilson Trail System in Owyhees
    o 80 miles of designated trails
    o New W250 Trail segment
    o Maintenance

• Hidden Springs
    o Red Tail
    o Lookout
    o Current

• Bogus Basin
    o Shin Dig - brushing
    o Tempest - SWIMBA cleared brush and helped with construction
    o Deer Point - SWIMBA cleared brush and helped with construction

• Shaffer Butte (built and designed)
    o Eastside
    o DB
    o Sinker Creek
    o Mr. Big

• Mahalo -built and designed by SWIMBA

• $20k support to the velopark – also worked on or built several trails and irrigation system

• Avimor
    o Lots of building and flagging going on now

• Lowman Ranger District
    o Grahman Mountain Trail - Bridge building and maintenance

Future projects
    • Mahalo II
    • Coyote – Bogus Drop to road past Shaffer Butte Campground
    • Rebuild Bogus Drop
    • Reroute Dagget Creek out of the creek bottom
    • 15 miles of new trail in the Lowman district
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    IMBA Chapter Program info can be found at:

http://www.imba.com/chapter-program
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

BAMBA basics

Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    It appears that BAMBA may be a bit misleading. Why not just call it the "Eagle Bike Park Association" or the "Velopark"?

I don't see how this necessarily helps all of "Boise". By a similar logic, all of us here in Boise should also join CIMBA and all other Idaho organizations for its trickle down effect of supporting all mountain bikers.

I have not been to a SWIMBA meeting in some time. Could somebody enlighten me on the differences in focus from SWIMBA and the new BAMBA organization?

If I am reading between the lines it appears that the Velopark has lost all funding and the city of Eagle is saying, "if you want it, pay for it yourselves". Am I correct or far off?
    Quick summary on the why's of BAMBA. The city and county required an insured association to continue working on the trail system at the bike park. Forming a chapter of IMBA was the best way to accomplish this. We become part of the IMBA 501c3 (and therefore don't have to start our own nonprofit), IMBA performs member management for us (makes our lives easier), and IMBA provides an insurance policy at a cheap rate. We end up paying $8 a head and the money for this comes out of membership dues.

This insurance policy provides us with exactly the things we need to advocate for the park and help keep the park successful. It insures the association as members work on the trail system. It also provides coverage for the building and use of technical trail features - which we have a ton of at the park. It also provides insurance for time trials and clinics so we can offer them through the association for members. This means XC, DH, and CX time trials at the bike park. This low key and free training type of event is becoming very popular in many areas. In Whistler they have their toonies XC and DH races which are very similar and they attract about 200-300 riders once a week. Our time trails may never be this successful, but this organization created a platform for them to be established. We are also working on putting together a 5k/10k running time trial series since the insurance will cover those as well.

We were going to call the association the "Eagle Bike Park Association" but IMBA required a broader name. They also required us to change our mission statement. Some of this is done for tax purposes - missions have to be the same in order for us to fall under their 501c-3. We also needed our "area" to be larger than just the bike park because our insurance policy allows us to hold time trial races in a broader area, including places like Bogus and Jug Mountain Ranch.

BAMBA also plans on maintaining a close working relationship with SWIMBA and the two organizations complement each other well. BAMBA is focused more on the bike park and our insurance policy allows us to do the things that the SWIMBA insurance policy does not - time trials and building technical trail features like jumps and drops. SWIMBA will continue doing what they are good at as described by Chris Cook's posting. We hope to have SWIMBA involved at the bike park as well and we hope to work on projects together out there. I am meeting with their board on Monday night to continue these discussions.

Some people may choose to only join one association because their needs are met solely by one group. Others use the bike park as well as the rest of the trails in the valley. I fall under the second description which is why I am a member of both associations. Our association believes that the bike park offers something very important and unique to the community which includes technical (DH, Freeride, etc.) riding and the ability to hold races on a public trail system. We want to continue advocating for these activities as well as everything else the bike park has to offer the community.

Brad Nelson
    President
    BAMBA
    Last edited by bnesp; 02-19-2011 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Very good post.
    Thank you very much for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by bnesp
    Quick summary on the why's of BAMBA. The city and county required an insured association to continue working on the trail system at the bike park. Forming a chapter of IMBA was the best way to accomplish this. We become part of the IMBA 501c3 (and therefore don't have to start our own nonprofit), IMBA performs member management for us (makes our lives easier), and IMBA provides an insurance policy at a cheap rate. We end up paying $8 a head and the money for this comes out of membership dues.

This insurance policy provides us with exactly the things we need to advocate for the park and help keep the park successful. It insures the association as members work on the trail system. It also provides coverage for the building and use of technical trail features - which we have a ton of at the park. It also provides insurance for time trials and clinics so we can offer them through the association for members. This means XC, DH, and CX time trials at the bike park. This low key and free training type of event is becoming very popular in many areas. In Whistler they have their toonies XC and DH races which are very similar and they attract about 200-300 riders once a week. Our time trails may never be this successful, but this organization created a platform for them to be established. We are also working on putting together a 5k/10k running time trial series since the insurance will cover those as well.

We were going to call the association the "Eagle Bike Park Association" but IMBA required a broader name. They also required us to change our mission statement. Some of this is done for tax purposes - missions have to be the same in order for us to fall under their 501c-3. We also needed our "area" to be larger than just the bike park because our insurance policy allows us to hold time trial races in a broader area, including places like Bogus and Jug Mountain Ranch.

BAMBA also plans on maintaining a close working relationship with SWIMBA and the two organizations complement each other well. BAMBA is focused more on the bike park and our insurance policy allows us to do the things that the SWIMBA insurance policy does not - time trials and building technical trail features like jumps and drops. SWIMBA will continue doing what they are good at as described by Chris Cook's posting. We hope to have SWIMBA involved at the bike park as well and we hope to work on projects together out there. I am meeting with their board on Monday night to continue these discussions.

Some people may choose to only join one association because their needs are met solely by one group. Others use the bike park as well as the rest of the trails in the valley. I fall under the second description which is why I am a member of both associations. Our association believes that the bike park offers something very important and unique to the community which includes technical (DH, Freeride, etc.) riding and the ability to hold races on a public trail system. We want to continue advocating for these activities as well as everything else the bike park has to offer the community.

Brad Nelson
    President
    BAMBA
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    BAMBA- Nice work getting a full page pic in Dirt Rag of Josh Macdonald.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member

Good News

This is fantastic! But…..All of this will be ridiculed by those who do not understand the process, the history and the financial cost if this new direction is not fully implemented.

The bike park may be on road to recovery, cooperation and transparency. The Dirt Board appears to have abandoned their confrontational negotiating stance with the County officials. The decision to include other trail users through the sponsoring of trail runs will bring into the park a larger group of users and enhanced exposure to the general public. The opportunity for the park to increase revenue generation for itself and businesses supporting recreation activities will provide a small boost to the local economy. This may change the attitudes of those who previously complained about the fate of the velodrome and the park maintenance expenses being pushed on the city and county taxpayers. All this will be a good thing.

The new BAMBA group now has the opportunity to reverse the single minded and exclusionary management attitudes of the past, as stated in their email below dated July 8, 2010. The "don't dig don't ride" mantra – translates to “if you’re not digging for us, you can’t ride our trails” They seem to have realized what the County has been telling them all along, this is a public facility to be open to all non-motorized trail users. As a result, the users will see the benefits of this realization. Simply by agreeing to share the trails, trusting in the sound judgment, good sense and courtesies of other park patrons, and following design guidelines & standards established by IMBA, http://www.imba.com/resources/freeri...-freeride-park
    industry leading commercial bike parks such as Whistler

http://www.whistler.ca/images/stories/PDF/Resort%20

Experience/Cycling_Committee/trail_standards_first_edition.pdf
    and other shared trail use facilities

http://www.americantrails.org/resour...ing/index.html

the park will see an increase in user numbers and donations if they eliminate the unnecessary hazards on free ride jump lines and remove obstacles on the common use trails, as these time tested guidelines mandate. The runners, walkers and equestrians too will benefit from and appreciate the improvements when visual and physical barriers are removed. Through the incorporation of better sight lines, alternate ride lines around jumps and drops, infilling of gaps to make even the longest of jumps accessible and safer (unnecessary hazard elimination) so the less skilled riders can hang with the big boys, learn and progress at their own speed. The features will emphasize skill instead of consequence; challenging features don’t have to be overly dangerous. This is a PUBLIC facility, NOT PRIVATE!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/113464/

If this change in direction avoids just one tragic accident similar to the following and as pointed out in a previous post, then all the future hard work will be worth the effort. If a small investment of time and money now can avoid an unnecessary injury lawsuit, the future of the park will be secure.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/are-you...rtified-2.html

http://onimbarep.imbatools.com/2010/...-improvements/

Let's hope BAMBA can return the park to the type of public facility the entire family can enjoy together as Randy Spangler and Eric Carter had originally envisioned.

World-class Cyclists Work On Eagle Cyclinghttp://www.mongoose.com/col/eng/mtn/...e-cycling-park

"We're trying to make them safe, fun and challenging all at the same time," Spangler said.The mountain-cross course (also known as four cross) is designed for a competition where four riders race downhill on a trail the width of a narrow road with a series of jumps, banked corners and sprint sections.
    But jumps are designed so you have the option of rolling over them or flying off of them, which makes them friendly for riders of all skill levels.
    Carter said he designed the course with "world-class flow" that emulated the courses ridden at international competitions, but with more user-friendly jumps.
    Even if you never plan to race, the public course looks like it is going to be a blast to ride. You take a short ride up an access road and drop in as it serpentines down the hill.
    Since it is a one-way, downhill course, you can ride it as fast as your nerves and skill can handle, and if you encounter a slower rider, there's plenty of room to pass.
    "Good riders can have fun on this, and parents who have never ridden one can ride it and get the same feel," Carter said.
    Jump lines are similar but much narrower and designed for a single rider at a time. There are three jump lines, one each for beginner, intermediate and expert riders.
    But even expert jumps are table tops instead of gap jumps, which means there's a level plateau between ramps so if you don't clear the space between ramps, you won't crash into the backside of the opposite ramp.
    If you lose your nerve before the ramp, you simply ride across the top of the jump and down the opposite ramp
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Text below from email dated July 8, 2010:

Date: Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    Subject: Write a letter of support for bike park
    To: [email protected]

Riders,

Please take a few minutes and write a letter of support for the bike park to the individuals listed below. *We do have general support from many local officials but there are some who question or disagree with the parks existence. *You can personalize you letter by explaining what aspects of the park you support or appreciate (the existence of downhill only bike trails, the ability to finally use local trails for cross country racing, the existence of downhill race courses, the future BMX track, the future criterium course, etc.) or just leave the letter general and explain how much you or your family love the facility. *The county hears complaints from a few individuals and these negative comments need to be offset by requests for support from the users of the park. *All who use and enjoy the park should send a letter of support - please do so as soon as you can and please keep your correspondence positive. *Here are the people you should send comments to:

Ada County Commissioners: *(Rick Yzaguirre, Sharon Ullman, and Fred Tilman)
    Address:*200 W. Front Street, 3rd Floor, Boise,*Idaho* 83702****Phone:*(208) 287-7000***E-mail:*[email protected]

City of Eagle:
    [email protected]

As a side note I also want to summarize some of the struggles we have been dealing with recently - simply as an FYI so people know what is going on in general with the bike park. *This list is just a sample of some of the issues we have been dealing with. *Also, please understand that the county has been supportive in some areas and our relationship with them has not been all negative. *The county and the city want the park to succeed but we all need to come to an agreement on what success looks like and what the priorities are. *Here is a summary of some of our struggles:*

1. *Several people have emailed or called me wondering what happened to the drop at the top of the new freeride trail. *At one point in time the county came out and asked for a list of things to be accomplished on that trail. *This list included finishing the drops by cutting off some rebar and using sandbags to cover the back legs as well as putting up signs designating the difficulty level of the trail. *There was also discussions with one of the county officials that there should be a filter placed at the top so the difficulty level of the trail was clear from the beginning. *Dave Logan is the new landfill manager and he was apparently unaware of this discussion and had his employees remove the structure stating that it did not meet proper standards. *(The structure was built well within Whistler standards though with 4x4 treated posts, 4x6 treated beams, lag bolts, and cross bracing). *This event has been a source of frustration for the volunteers who spent time and money trying to accomplish one of the directives from the county.

2. *There is some general concern regarding an understanding of what the bike park is about for county officials. *What makes the park different from other existing trail systems in the valley is that the park provides a place for technical downhill biking as well as downhill racing and cross country racing. *The management trail philosophy for all other existing trails in the valley is that all users must recreate on the same set of trails. *This general philosophy negates the use of these R2R trails for downhill technical riding and cross county racing as it places other trail users at risk. *The bike park provides the place for these user groups and these types of use should be supported and protected. *When the county asked for signs for the new trails they stated that they might help pay for some of them. *After having the signs designed and submitted to Dave Logan, he stated that he would not allow signs at the park restricting the use of trails for certain user groups (horses, hikers, and dogs). *He does not want these trails to be limited to downhill biking. *This is a huge departure from the original vision of the park as well as a major safety concern. *One horse on a jump line would do significant damage that would require hours of work (as well as water) to repair. *Having dogs on these jump trails is also completely incompatible and a major safety concern - for obvious reasons. *This trail philosophy is synonymous with saying that kids playing football on the optimist fields must now share their field with polo players - at the same time. *"Everyone should play together and get along" sounds great on paper as a trail management philosophy but can't always be applied safely in the real world and should not be applied on the trails at the bike park. *Our concern as a bike park board is that every time a new county official gets involved with the park we seem to get set back and have to start over fighting politically for support of the original intention of the park.

3. *Several people have also asked what is going on with the third trail crossing on the new freeride trail - why it has not been installed yet. *The answer is that we are still waiting for permission from Dave Logan. *The trail was funded by the Bikes Belong grant we received last year and the materials for the trail crossing were purchased with the grant we received from Lowes. *The crossing has already been constructed (it is sitting in Rob Castell's garage). *It was not installed last year because the ground froze before we could get to it. *Dave Logan is opposed to its installation for undisclosed reasons and we are still waiting on permission from the county to install.

4. *Volunteerism has dropped at the park to an all time low. *We have a handful of people doing work out there but most others do not have the time. *This is not necessarily unexpected as volunteers have put in about 9000 hours over the last few years. *Expecting volunteers to continue doing so is unrealistic. *Thousands of people are now enjoying the park and most of the work fell on the shoulders of a few. I am not saying that everyone should stop working - in fact the "don't dig don't ride" mantra will always apply at a park like this. *All users of the park should be willing to donate at least an hour or two each year to help maintain the trails they ride (or be willing to make donations to pay someone else to do the work for them). *I do think though that the volunteers have put in a mighty effort to provide a free park to the public and assistance from the county and city officials is needed and appreciated by the public. *I am also personally getting very burned out. *I have put in too many hours over the last few years and the politics over the last year has changed the effort from a service project to a battle. *I preferred the service aspect of what I was doing. *I will continue serving on the board but my level of involvement will be very light and I will not continue playing the role of volunteer coordinator. *I am not sure what is going to happen in the future as far as trail maintenance goes. *One of many options is that the county takes over management. *There will most likely be several changes occurring over the next year and your input at the county and city level can have an effect on the long term success and existence of the park.

On the positive side, we still have a great park and it hopefully shouldn't be going anywhere. *The county has also been supportive in several ways: *
    1. *They allowed XC racing on the trails this year and those races have been incredibly successful.
    2. *They installed stop signs on the trail where junkyard crosses Goose Creek Road and painted crossing lines to help avoid accidents with county vehicles.
    3. *They agreed to pay for $10,000 in materials for a post and pole fence running along the road from the far south end of the park, around the velodrome ending near the skills park. *Volunteers would be required to install.
    4. *They agreed to help pay for some signs - as long as they don't restrict trails to any user group other than motorized vehicles.

Thanks again for all the work that has gone into building this park and thanks for sending in letters of support.

Brad Nelson
    Last edited by Wheelbender; 03-10-2011 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Here is an opportunity for BAMBA to make good on their IMBA affiliation and the Dirt Boards previously stated commitment to "Whistler Standards".....get the money and fill in the gaps so you can increase rider numbers and future donations. Remember, this is a PUBLIC facility, not a PRIVATE park where anything goes.

http://www.imba.com/news/huck-n-roll-grants

Jump on it before big brother SWIMBA scoops it up.

aaarrrggghh!

Whhaaaaaaa!!!!

Wheelbender,

I think you should also write letters and hop on some forums in Oregon so you can petition BRMB and the hard working folks at Post Canyon to fill in all their gaps also. I mean those lands are also public after all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Check out Valmont Bike Park in Boulder Colorado for an amazing public bike park opening this May! AWEsome!!!! Please note the quality construction and properly built coolness!

@Wheelbender- please write them and all other public bike parks being installed throughout the country a letter and tell them why big jumps with gaps should not be permitted anywhere in life!

If jumps are built right then they are safe!

mtbr member

Small Minds

Was that a Michael Vick family home video (removed by our friendly mediator), or do you have a special interest in doggy video voyeurism? You can express your personal feelings at the following web site and find like minded soul mates http://www.experienceproject.com/gro...c=pets-animals

But seriously now, is there anyone out there who can intelligently challenge and argue against the time tested principles for bike park and trail design established by Whistler and IMBA, along with their history of commercial success and do so without acting liking a pissy little teenager? Can you or anyone of your group (Dirt Board, BAMBA or whatever name you have reinvented yourselves under) justify creating man-made features, hazards, gaps, etc. without following these guidelines? I know you have an attorney on your new Dirt BAMBA Board, maybe he can essssplaaaane it to us all. I suppose it’s just a matter of perspective. If it’s all about you, then there is no perspective, but when other less experienced riders (new to the sport) try a jump line or gap they are not ready for, slams it into the landing lip, buries their face in the dirt and ends up a quadriplegic, needs $10,000 in dental work, wheelchairs, a new handicap accessible home, loses all opportunity to earn a living, requires 24 hour care by their family..…. it’s a bit late to gain perspective. Try living with and carrying for quad as I have, feed them, change crappy pants, wipe the spit from their face, your every life activity revolves around them and their care needs……maybe then you’ll change your perspective. Or observe one of your neighbors (as I have) only six months into retirement, go off on a week long rafting trip, take a wave a bit beyond his skill level and return home a quadriplegic, spending the rest of his life lying on his back breathing through a tube…..you might change your perspective. This could just as easily be the result of your “lippy” gap jumps.

What is it about you and your group’s single minded selfish use of a $10,000 grant to build the longest trail and jump line at the park for the smallest possible number of users? And the modifications you made to professionally built table tops by cutting in gaps and cutting out access to 80 % of the jump line riders?

If your group had but an ounce of common sense and considered the possibility of adding an adjacent tabletop jump and bailout line around all the gap jumps, {likely at no extra cost}, just like Whistler does on many of their lines, you could have had a first class multi-skill level freeride line that would have served a much larger user group and increased the number of happy riders willing donate work hours to trail building and maintenance projects. Instead you have a line ridable by only a small handful of people, as evidenced by the pathetic turnout of riders (13 total) for an event promoted as a “show of support” for the bike park. Rah...Rah that ought to tell you what a crappy job the Dirt Board did in planning and executing that trail jump line project. As the volunteers begin to realize that most of what they are told to build is nothing they can ride, they ask themselves, “Why should I work so hard for others on something I may never find the will to attempt, I've got a family to feed?” They just fade away and you have to fall back on the slave labor from the Juvenile Detention System to do all the work. Their only motivation is to reduce lockup time and get the “H” outa jail. Brad says ”Team Lazy” - you and the other boys - won't do any work so he puts the slaves.

So if you don’t make an effort to clean up the mess you can bet a local attorney will partner up with the expert in dirt jump injuries, clean out the city and county bank accounts then shut down the park….

“A city has an obligation not to create a hazard,” said Wesley Hoyt, http://www.rjhopp.com/Lawyers/Wesley...9/Default.aspx
    a Colorado plaintiff’s attorney who has been trying cases like Ghenis’ for three decades. The public nuisance doctrine states a city that knowingly allows a hazardous situation to exist can be held liable for damages. This doctrine does not apply to natural terrain, but it does apply to man-made obstacles such as dirt jumps. “That’s the smoking gun,” said Hoyt. “As a plaintiff’s lawyer, I look for a standard. If I find a standard that the city hasn’t met, then they’re on the hook.”

Here is a example of a skier awarded a couple bucks for a bad jump design:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...at-Snoqualmie?

Diablo Freeride Park – check out all the table tops. They are not idiots!

http://www.sicklines.com/courses/eth...freeride-park/

Take a lesson in marketing from the Diablo people
    “The newer riders are the lifeline of our sport and I feel we have done an excellent job to foster the growth of the sport in our area, as well us on the east coast.* Our attendance is booming and one attributing factor for this success has definitely been our ability to attract new riders to the sport….”.
    Hillride did a great job establishing rules and guidelines for these folks in Green River:
    Again….no gaps…what common sense. Amazing quality work. Checkout the wood.
    http://www.greenriverbikepark.com/Photos.html
    http://www.hilride.com/Home.html

aaarrrggghh!
    On and on and on. As long as you feel better in the end. By the way, the reason gaps were cut into the Sage Fright line was......are you ready for this.......safety. Children, who are clearly not ready to be on that trail, would ride down it so they could feel good about riding the "expert" line were creating a different type of hazard. So when a rider who actually enjoys the larger jumps comes up on said eight year old while flying through the air and they don't have to decide the best way to crash their brains out to avoid the youngster. But you never thought of that before you started all your b!tching. In addition, you were also told a second trail would be in the works that would be more beginner friendly than the Stormin' Mormon and invited to help design it and build it when approval was given to build. But no, you couldn't wait that long before you immediately made yourself the most unpopular person at the park with all your ranting and raving to the powers that be, which essentially made things worse for everyone. What do you care? You are obviously the craziest fvcker on two wheels in this valley and no amount of telling you to go away has been successful thus far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I hope nobody is taking wheelbenders fanatical b.s. rants as truth!

A quick search of Diablo bike park photos, green river bike park photos, whistler photos... will produce Huge Gap jumps, drops, wall rides to drops...

Yes these parks do have table top jumps, in their beginner trails, same as Eagle bike park.

No reasoning with a fanatic!

Now the rest of MTBR can see what kind of nutball the Eagle Volunteers have been dealing with for the last 2 years. Its almost comical now though!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    It's so nice that the freeride prancers now have a place to ply their gigs with safety and security.

And also so nice that the lawyer munsters have a way to pad their wallets with their waiver liability thingies.

It's a metaphor for America's descent into mediocrity. Like Sarah Palin and that whole Teabag party thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Went to the link at Joyride to join. Doesn't work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

BAMBA Membership

Quote Originally Posted by MX4U
    Went to the link at Joyride to join. Doesn't work.
    Now that the IMBA link is up on our website we cannot take new members through the Joyride site or mail in forms. Phil will be taking that down. To join people can visit the eaglebikepark.org website which is the home for the bamba-imba chapter as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Reminder for BAMBA grand opening fundraiser

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Join IMBA as a member, or donate to the park? What would be better?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Join vs. donate

That depends on how you want to participate. If you join as a member then we use part of that money to purchase an $8 insurance policy for you. This provides insurance that covers the organization if you volunteer as a trail worker at the park. It also provides the insurance for you to participate in time trials or clinics. We don't have the clinics set up yet but the info for time trials is on the eaglebikepark.org website.

If you join as a member the cost is $30 or $20 for youth. IMBA keeps 60% and kicks back 40% to us, most of which we use to purchase the $8 insurance. Membership dues don't bring in very much money to an association but having members on your list greatly increases our capacity to write grants and raise money for the park.

If you just want to donate then we keep 100% in the local chapter. We have a paypal link on our sidebar to donate this way. You can even designate where you want the money to go and we will put it in the appropriate fund: general, multi-use trails, DH race trails, dirt jump/freeride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Both. That would be better. IMBA is the only nationwide voice for mountain bikers of all kinds, shapes, sizes, genders, and species, and BAMBA/EBP provides riding terrrain and technical trails that are not available elsewhere in the valley.

Members who have read this thread: 0