ATVs on Sinker Creek- Mtbr.com
    Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

ATVs on Sinker Creek

Dan Meeker & I are planning a trail work day on 5/26 on the Sinker Creek trail. I know this is very last minute, and that this weekend is Memorial Day weekend, but we need help undoing the work of an ATV going down the Sinker Creek singletrack. The culprit widened the trail for ATV access...which I think none of us.

Meet at Highlands School on Bogus Basin Road at 9am on 5/26. Spend the day giving something back to the trail.

Lastly. I need one last favor from everyone. If you see 4-wheelers on the trail or at any of the pull-outs on the way to Eastside trailhead, DO NOT confront the driver/rider. Just make a note of the make and model of ATV, and try to remember what the person looks like. Then email or PM the info. If you can, snap a pic. In fact, everyone should bring their digicams up to Eastside when they ride so they can takes pics. Info needs to be collected on what ATVs are parked on any of the pullouts on the way to Eastside trailhead. Let's all work together so we don't lose this great resource.

Al
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    bump
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bummer!

I couldn't believe the amount of work and destruction from a couple of ATVers. And it's not just Sinker, it goes all the way down into Shaffer. Who ever it was did a huge amount of work with shovels and a chain saw.

It's too bad they are ATVers instead of mountain bikers since it looks like they might actually have a passion for building and not just riding. Unlike alot of mountian bikers in this valley that have a passion for riding but won't lift a finger for trail work.

I will try and get a hall pass on kid duties this Saturday. I can bring Big Red (Jonsered - 24" bar) if I can get a loner Bob trailer. Not sure if cutting large diameter dead fall and putting it in the way will help, but it might be worth a try. I also have a come-along that might be helpful in moving large obsticles.

The other options might be lay in wait with potato cannons. On second thought, I don't think I want to mess with these guys. Might end up as smelly bear bait.

On the bright side, the descruction really made me mad so the ride up went fast and was painless.

See you Saturday!

I've got a BOB. You drive me up, and I'll pull the trailer. Thanks for helping out. Meek, Beck, and I really appreciate it.

jalepenio jimenez

Are ATV's illegal?

What is the official policy on motorized in the Sinker creek area? Wouldn't it be a good idea to notify DG or the usfs before you attempt to obstruct the trail to other users?

I hate to come across trail obliteration by willy nilly users who resent my presence. They have no right. Do you?

If it comes to nothing more than trail reconstruction, and not obstruction, I would be glad to help.

jp
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member

Here are your culprits

I ran into these guys on the trail this weekend. Funny, there was a good sized group and a guy dressed in black with really dark sunglasses pushed me off of my bike!
    Bastards!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BoiseBoy

The answers to your questions are as follows:

That side of Bogus Basin Road is non-motorized, as designated by the USFS.

I and some others informed R2R and the USFS last week that ATVs had been in the Sinker Creek area (specifically in the non-motorized area). At that point, they reiterated that that area is designated for non-motorized use. The restoration of the original singletrack was approved by R2R this AM. Everyone should know that the trail was modified. WIDE bench cuts were made. Trees were cut, and dips in the trail were filled in. The trail features which made it a fun, and at times challenging, trail are now gone.

Please know that every time I post a request for help with trail work I have pre-approved that work with R2R and, when applicable, the USFS. I don't do any work up there without their approval.

If possible, please tell me if you can go or not, so I can get a head count.

Tools needed: Garden rake, shovel, or pulaski.

Don't forget to bring gloves, food and water. If you can't bring tools, just bring gloves.

Thanks again,
    Al

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    How far up Sinker did they build? All the way up to Eastside? All the way down to the junction with Mr Big (and further to the private land to the north)?

Did they come up from the private land north on Shafer Creek or does it appear the built down from Eastside? Is the boundary with the private land to north signed? Does a sign say anything like "USFS designated non-motorized"?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

If I remember correctly, it starts below where Eastside crosses the creek and goes all the way to Mr. Big.

More signs are going in this week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    If I remember correctly, it starts below where Eastside crosses the creek and goes all the way to Mr. Big.

More signs are going in this week.
    ya..but he tried to go up eastside too...

from the bottom of eastside @ the intersection with sinker...i have noticed atv tracks up a ways.

the trail is wider there (benched in logging road), so not too much damage. just tracks and some damaged scrub vegetation that "tightened" up the trail some.

i've also seen the white, flatbed dodge 50% of the time i've been up there. complete with ramps for an atv. connection, maybe? one day i saw this individual coming down bogus (around 6:30-6:45 pm) thought i heard a motor two weeks ago while i was riding.

all it would take is to assemble a group of riders one afternoon (probably need 6 total). if the white flatbed dodge is there (which is all the time)...scatter about and meet at the bottom of one of the drainages. sinker or shafer. go in pairs, and carry digital cameras. cell phones too to call the authorities and intercept him on the way down. maybe axe him a few questions.

we could let the authorities know of our sting operation and bust this mofo.

a nice fine and record of the crime would help to deter further events.

or, i could put my slide/pop-a-cap-n-a-fool technique into practice

*truth disclaimer...i'm not a cop...just like keanu reeves in speed....."dude, i'm notta cop" "dude, it's cool, i'm putting my gun down". "dude, i'm notta cop". "dude, i love you"
    Last edited by garnetspur; 05-21-2007 at 12:54 PM.

jalepenio jimenez

Thanks for the clarification.

I will try to be at highland school by 9:00 w/ pulaski and rake.

As for the white dodge flatbed, I believe they have another bear bait station and blind between BB road and the Deer Point road and that they use the atv to get to it from the top end. I don't think they ride below the pavement.

I do know that they resent all bike riders in their local parking area (mile post 14.5.)

While we all may resent what has been done to the Sinker creek trail, I recommend against angry confrontation. Some of the individuals involved (on the atv's) would probably love that approach, however it never helps the actual situation. Reason and dialogue seem to work better in the long run, and it may even save someone having to go to the hospital!

Remember to be respectful of all trail users.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    oh yeah, i'm willing to help out with this restoration.....but, we have plans to head outta town this weekend.

but, if some work could be done after work this week...i'm in. plenty of daylight if you wanted to organize some work during the week. i could probably even get outta the office a little early.

Hi!!!
    How long are you guys planning on being up there? I don't clock out till 2pm and probably can't be up there until after 3pm.

I HIGHLY recommend against any confrontation. Just document what you see.

See you Saturday.

i'd go up next week during the week. I need to check out some things that R2R wanted me to look at.

Who is driving up? People frown on me driving anything but a lawn tractor...a very small lawn tractor.

mtbr member
    I may throw my 11mo old in the backpack and come up there. I think she will enjoy getting out and I won't get in trouble for not doing baby duty on the weekend. How far off the trailhead is the work? I'll be limited on how far I can go on foot.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

At least 2 miles in if you take entrance exam in.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This pisses me off, do you need an extra set of hands? I have no tools though.

Also, my 2c, how will the culprits definitely be identified and dealt with so that this does not happen again? Maybe they don't know the area is non motorized so the extra signage and whatnot hopefully will help? Can signage also be placed on any turnouts?

mtbr member
    As long as my tools will strap to backpack, that is easy. Now to convince the wife....
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. 7 AM launch time

Early birds can follow me up. I will buy coffee for anyone showing up early. We will have a couple of chainsaws and some tools. Bikes & Bob Trailers.

dmeek

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's funny that you call yourself 'Old Man Riding"; which you are not at all! A buddy of mine from Cal calls himself that too - he is 60ish, and still riding really strong...

Hoops - Big and Small

Moxie Time

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Riding
    Early birds can follow me up. I will buy coffee for anyone showing up early. We will have a couple of chainsaws and some tools. Bikes & Bob Trailers.dmeek
    Damn all I get is coffee - Make mine a triple espresso shot mochachino with a mint frost and a double mint hopper with soy white mocha with whip and caramel sauce.

Not sure if that's really "coffee" but I'm getting my money's worth damit, should be about ten bucks
    Last edited by Crash_Burn; 05-23-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Hoops - Big and Small

You still need a ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Who is driving up? People frown on me driving anything but a lawn tractor...a very small lawn tractor.
    I'm taking my beater up - you need a ride?

I'll be up there for a while Nick. If you could make it earlier, it would be better. I regret the late notice. I am just hoping more people show up than have posted on the board. A real showing of support would go a long way for us as a community to get MORE trails.

On that note, I am inviting everyone out for the SWIMBA meeting in June, especially ANYONE who loves to ride technical trails. You know rooty, rocky, ledge filled, flowing ribbons of love filled with lots of table tops. Come out and give support the small group of us lobbying for more trails of this type. Really, we need your support for that kinda work. That and all of you can grill me about all the trail projects that have been planned out.

So please set aside some time, bring the kids (if you have them), and show your support..

Surly is unhappy

'cause he used to be able to roll over this log. His nemesis the renegade trail dude with an ATV denied him of that pleasure today....

Members who have read this thread: 0