ATVs on Bogus, hillclimbing under deerpoint lift- Mtbr.com
    Wandervans

ATVs on Bogus, hillclimbing under deerpoint lift

Got away for a couple of hours on saturday evening, too bad I could not make the trailwork. Ended up climbing to the top of Bogus and descending only to run into some atvs ripping up the slopes on bogus. It was tragic I did not have a camera.

I told the guys they were not allowed to ride there and they then told me mountain bikes were not allowed on the trails. Maybe Bogus records their webcam and will catch them.

They were driving two trucks:
    Black Ford Superduty, King Ranch Edition with ID License plate 3521S
    and
    Grey Dodge Ram which said "Total Tile Experts" on the side

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtnjam
    ARGH!

Hopefully they'll be caught by Bogus' management. There's gotta be something that can be done about keeping the retard chariots off Bogus and Sinker. I've been looking around to see how trails can be built to keep them out. I know of the "tank traps", but there's gotta be other options, including signage and education.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    but there's gotta be other options, including signage and education.
    the OHVcommunity seems to have plenty of "education" being spewed at them. their leaders say the right things, and i have no doubt that they carry out what they say too. "use your power responsibly"

fact is, there's just a certain demographic (rednecks) out there that is going to what they do (redneck stuff)

the atv usergroup seems to be the one usergroup that doesn't blend at all with other trail users (or in their case...they just make new trails and ride where ever they want...so i guess they're not really trail users..just public lands users)..

death and taxes are a certain thing in life..and so are rednecks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We saw a truck with like 4 ATV's in the back going up last night around 5ish - it was probably or maybe the culprits, the only ATV's we saw and around the evening

jalepenio jimenez

I can't get no, satisfaction...

After reading this, I confered with a fellow bro' here at work who is a 4-wheeler. My comment was, "there are so many trails in the Danskin area already for these guys," to which he replied, "yeah, but the motorcycles tear up the trails and create giant roller coaster sections that you can't hardly ride there."

So there you have it: ATV'ers need their own place to ride, as if they don't already have thousands of miles of trails and forest and desert roads to ride. They just need more.

The forest service bends over backwards for these jerk-ophs and yet when the non-motorised groups do land a micro section of public domain to call their own, there is never any enforcement on hand to ensure it's exclusiveness.

ATV's are a bain. I'm sure we all see their tracks in more places where they aren't supposed to be, than any other mode of motorised vehicle tracks. It is an understatement to say that they are out of control.

More signage is an absolute necessity, especially in the Bogus area where there is such easy access for all the different user groups: hunters, equestrian, para-military, frisbee golfers, etc., etc. If there is no posted signage, most of us, including us mtb'ers, go blasting right on through.

More enforcement in the more popular recreation areas is another necessity, although due to funding, we can't expect much more of that.

If there are any repercussions for the individuals you fingered trespassing on Bogus, please post what you find out. I need some satisfaction.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

Aug 2004

New question here.

Last summer Doc Jay and I were beginning the climb up Three Bears from Rocky Canyon. We weren't too far up when all of a sudden two ATV'ers showed up at the bottom and then rode their machines up to the gate. Not sure of what their intentions were, but I would bet that if that gate wasn't there and it wasn't signed, they probably woulda rode up it.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    ATV's are a bain. I'm sure we all see their tracks in more places where they aren't supposed to be, than any other mode of motorised vehicle tracks. It is an understatement to say that they are out of control.

More signage is an absolute necessity, especially in the Bogus area where there is such easy access for all the different user groups: hunters, equestrian, para-military, frisbee golfers, etc., etc. If there is no posted signage, most of us, including us mtb'ers, go blasting right on through.

More enforcement in the more popular recreation areas is another necessity, although due to funding, we can't expect much more of that.
    Just exactly what is the "law" for the area around Bogus? I've seen ATV's and MX'ers on the Nordic Highway before but I haven't seen any signs of them on the other nordic trails let alone the ski runs.

mtbr member
    Some areas are obviously off-limits, but off the back side of Bogus, there are tons or roads. I think if I was an ATV rider, I would assume legal unless it was marked. The whole drainage between Bogus Basin Road and the Ridge Road is crisscrossed with ATV trails/roads. Here is a pic I took a few years ago, from the Ridge Road on our way up to Doe Point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Actually only the bottom ~100ft or so of Chair #1 (Deer Point) is on Bogus Basin Property, the rest is on USFS property. I know that the "left side" of Bogus Basin Road is designated non-motorized whereas the "right side" is motorized - but I'm not sure of the disposition of land adjacent to Bogus Basin property (i.e., the the runs below Deer Point as well as Pine Creek and Superior which are also on USFS land). What the throttle-twisting, fat-arsed, quad-humping, gypsydildofeckknobs that Chris saw were doing might have been entirely legal if the dropped onto the ski runs from Deer Point, they stay within 100ft of an existing trail and they didn't cross onto Bogus Basin property. Which is ok, cos I'm not the one that's going to hell.

A messed up thing about trails as they apply to quads on USFS land is that they are allowed to drive anywhere so long as it's within 100 ft of a trail. Therefore, a quadhumper with an IQ of 80 or above might ride 100ft off-trail a few times thereby creating a new trail. From which they can ride another 100 ft thereby creating a new trail. Etc etc.

Al, you should ping Larry D about this.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Wandervans

no motorized sign

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Actually only the bottom ~100ft or so of Chair #1 (Deer Point) is on Bogus Basin Property, the rest is on USFS property. I know that the "left side" of Bogus Basin Road is designated non-motorized whereas the "right side" is motorized - but I'm not sure of the disposition of land adjacent to Bogus Basin property (i.e., the the runs below Deer Point as well as Pine Creek and Superior which are also on USFS land). What the throttle-twisting, fat-arsed, quad-humping, gypsydildofeckknobs that Chris saw were doing might have been entirely legal if the dropped onto the ski runs from Deer Point, they stay within 100ft of an existing trail and they didn't cross onto Bogus Basin property. Which is ok, cos I'm not the one that's going to hell.

A messed up thing about trails as they apply to quads on USFS land is that they are allowed to drive anywhere so long as it's within 100 ft of a trail. Therefore, a quadhumper with an IQ of 80 or above might ride 100ft off-trail a few times thereby creating a new trail. From which they can ride another 100 ft thereby creating a new trail. Etc etc.

Al, you should ping Larry D about this.
    There is a non-motorized sign at the top of deer point lift where the road comes from the ridge road.

You are only allowed to travel off trail to retrieve game during hunting season in certain areas all of the rest of the forest is restricted to designated trails only.

These guys parked right at the bottom of the beginner hill.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

A long wait for resolution

Going back to the days of Tricky Dicky the future trail destruction by ATVs was forseeable. Imagine Tricky Dicky and Himmy Carter on the same page.

Executive Order 11644

Use of Off-Road Vehicles on the Public Lands

February 8, 1972
    An estimated 5 million off-road recreational vehicles--motorcycles, minibikes, trail bikes, snowmobiles, dune-buggies, all-terrain vehicles, and others--are in use in the United States today, and their popularity continues to increase rapidly. The widespread use of such vehicles on the public lands--often for legitimate purposes but also in frequent conflict with wise land and resource management practices, environmental values, and other types of recreational activity--has demonstrated the need for a unified Federal policy toward the use of such vehicles on the public lands.

NOW, THEREFORE, by virtue of the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution of the United States and in furtherance of the purpose and policy of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (42 U.S.C. 4321), it is hereby ordered as follows:

SECTION 1. Purpose. It is the purpose of this order to establish policies and provide for procedures that will ensure that the use of off-road vehicles on public lands will be controlled and directed so as to protect the resources of those lands, to promote the safety of all users of those lands, and to minimize conflicts among various uses of those lands.

SEC. 2. Definitions. As used in this order, the term:

(1) 'public lands' means (A) all lands under the custody and control of the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of Agriculture, except Indian lands, (B) lands lands under the custody and control of the Tennessee Valley Authority that are situated in western Kentucky and Tennessee and are designated as 'Land Between the Lakes,' and (C) lands under the custody and control of the Secretary of Defense;

(2) 'respective agency head' means the Secretary of the Interior, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Agriculture, and the Board of Directors of the Tennessee Valley Authority, with respect to the public lands under the custody and control of each;

(3) 'off-road vehicle' means any motorized vehicle designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, sand, snow, ice, marsh, swampland, or other natural terrain; except the such term excludes (A) any registered motorboat, (B) any military, fire, emergency, or law enforcement vehicle when used for emergency purposes, and (C) any vehicle whose use is expressly authorized by the respective agency head under a permit, lease, license, or contract, and

(4) 'official use' means use by an employee, agent, or designated representative of the Federal Government or one of its contractors in the course of his employment, agency, or representation.

SEC. 3. Zones of Use. (a) Each respective agency head shall develop and issue regulations and administrative instructions, within six months of the date of this order, to provide for administrative designation of the specific areas and trails on public lands on which the use of off-road vehicles may be permitted, and areas in which the use of off-road vehicles may not be permitted, and set a date by which such designation of all public lands will be completed. Those regulations shall direct that the designation of such areas and trails will be based upon the protection of the resources of the public lands, promotion of the safety of all users of those lands, and minimization of the conflicts among the various uses of those lands. The regulations shall further require that the designation of such areas and trails shall be in accordance with the following--

(1) Areas and trails shall be located to minimize damage to soil, watershed, vegetation, or other resources of the public lands.

(2) Areas and trails shall be located to minimize harassment of wildlife or significant disruption of wildlife habitats.

(3) Areas and trails shall be located to minimize conflicts between off-road vehicle use and other existing or proposed recreational uses of the same or neighboring public lands, and to ensure the compatibility of such uses with existing conditions in populated areas, taking into account noise and other factors.

(4) Areas and trails shall not be located in officially designated Wilderness Areas or Primitive Areas. Areas and trails shall be located in areas of the National Park system, Natural Areas, or National Wildlife Refuges and Game Ranges only if the respective agency head determines that off-road vehicle use in such locations will not adversely affect their natural, aesthetic, or scenic values.

(b) The respective agency head shall ensure adequate opportunity for public participation in the promulgation of such regulations and in the designation of areas and trails under this section.

(c) The limitations on off-road vehicle use imposed under this section shall not apply to offical use.

SEC. 4. Operating Conditions. Each respective agency head shall develop and publish, within one year of the date of this order, regulations prescribing operating conditions for off-road vehicles on the public lands. These regulations shall be directed at protecting resource value, preserving public health, safety, and welfare, and minimizing use conflicts.

SEC. 5. Public Information. The respective agency head shall ensure that areas and trails where off-road vehicle use is permitted are well marked and shall provide for the publication and distribution of information, including maps, describing such areas and trails and explaining the conditions on vehicle use. He shall seek cooperation of relevant State agencies in the dissemination of this information.

SEC. 6. Enforcement. The respective agency head shall, where authorized by law, prescribe appropriate penalties for violation of regulations adopted pursuant to this order, and shall establish procedures for the enforcement of those regulations. To the extent permitted by law, he may enter into agreements with State or local governmental agencies for cooperative enforcement of laws and regulations relating to off-road vehicle use.

SEC. 7. Consultation. Before issuing the regulations or administrative instructions required by this order or designating areas or trails as required by this order and those regulations and administrative instructions, the Secretary of the Interior shall, as appropriate, consult with the Atomic Energy Commission.

SEC. 8. Monitoring of Effects and Review. (a) The respective agency heads shall monitor the effects of the use of off-road vehicles on lands under their jurisdictions. On the basis of the information gathered, they shall from time to time amend or rescind designations of areas or other actions taken pursuant to this order as necessary to further the policy of this order. (b) The Council on Environmental Quality shall maintain a continuing review of the implementation of this order.

RICHARD NIXON

THE WHITE HOUSE

February 8, 1972.

Exec. Order No. 11644, 37 FR 2877, 1972 WL 19410 (Pres.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Executive Order 11989

Off-Road Vehicles on Public Lands

May 24, 1977
    By virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and statues of the United States of America, and as President of the United States of America, in order to clarify agency authority to define zones of use by off-road vehicles on public lands, in furtherance of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, as amended (42 U.S.C. 4321 et seq.), Executive Order No. 11644 of February 8, 1972, is hereby amended as follows:

SECTION 1. Clause (B) of Section 2(3) of Executive Order No. 11644, setting forther an exclusion from the definition of off-road vehicles, is amended to read '(B) any fire, military, emergency or law enforcement vehicle when used for emergency purposes, and any combat or combat support vehicle when used for national defense purposes, and'.

SEC. 2. Add the following new Section to Executive Order No. 11644:

'Sec. 9. Special Protection of the Public Lands. (a) Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 3 of this Order, the respective agency head shall, whenever he determines that the use of off-road vehicles will cause or is causing considerable adverse effects on the soil, vegetation, wildlife, wildlife habitat or cultural or historic resources of particular areas or trails of the public lands, immediately close such areas or trails to the type of off-road vehicle causing such effects, until such time as he determines that such adverse effects have been eliminated and that measures have been implemented to prevent future recurrence. (b) Each respective agency head is authorized to adopt the policy that portions of the public lands within his jurisdiction shall be closed to use by off-road vehicles except those areas or trails which are suitable and specifically designated as open to such use pursuant to Section 3 of this Order.'.

JIMMY CARTER

THE WHITE HOUSE

May 24, 1977.

Exec. Order No. 11989, 42 FR 26959, 1977 WL 23620 (Pres.)

Those guys sure are wordy. I think Bart Simpson put it the best!
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Careful there Booda. Some of the youngsters here might think Nixon is a kind of fork.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Those are old skid road from good ole' days of logging.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Chris - I saw the sign you are talking about. The quads did some interesting things at the bottom of Deer Point.

TC- The appropriate people were contacted. They will handle it appropriately.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    TC- The appropriate people were contacted. They will handle it appropriately.

fwiw, if you get license plate #'s, or ohv registration sticker numbers it can help if it's reported. (a photo would be best), i know the blm routinely writes tickets on that information in utah. You might be able to get the USFS to do the same thing, or whatever agency has law-enforcement responsibility for the land in question.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Members who have read this thread: 0