Anyone running Spec Armadillo All conditions on their Road bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Anyone running Spec Armadillo All conditions on their Road bike

I seem to be getting a lot of flats on my road bike and am thinking of trying the armadillos
    go over to Georges or something. the michelins on the bike stock are too thin or something. getting flats on a road bike and having your workout interrrupted sucks!

Hi!!!
    I was just having this convo with someone I know about this very subject. She is running Armadillo's on her road bike and likes 'em....hasn't had any issues with flats, but she does notice a difference in speed. From what I've read over at RoadBikeReview, the Armadillo's are pretty much the shiznit.

I too am looking into getting more puncture resistant tires (2C roads can be rough). I don't think we can get Specializeds though (unless gtovey knows different). So I'm looking at the offerings from Kenda, Maxxis, etc.

You're riding the Dump Loop right? Got an email from someone warning folks to use the car lane instead of the bike lane when using so-and-so street to get onto Hill Road cuz the bike lane was littered with goatheads.

Barneys Unite!

I bought a Felt 75

from George's back in November and had them put Armadillo's on it. I have not had a flat yet, and I ride SE Boise and the Greenbelt (goatheads galore).

This is my first road bike, so I can't offer an opinion about speed or tracktion adviantages or disadvantages.

TF

mtbr member
    May 2004

hard shelled creatures with pointy things on them

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I don't think we can get Specializeds though
    huhh? do you mean from REI? cause Georges has them

mtbr member
    i have armadillos on my commuter. no flats yet. however, they do weigh as much as mountainbike tires and ride very "wooden". run lower pressure for a better feel. also, i think there are new lighter armadillo's out now...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    wooden? YUUUUUckk!!

i see nashbar has some nice conti's and some hutchinsons too with flat protect. georges has the armadillos elites or whatever that supposed to ride more supple

King of the Barneys
    I've got Geax Blades with tire liners AND slime tubes on the roadie. After my first couple flats, all in the same ride, I went ballistic, and haven't had a flat again in 2 years. I think the tires are a bit of overkill and slow me down... but speed aint my game anyways.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Eddie Money. Who here likes Eddie Money? I know I do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    let me know how you like the armadillo elites... the road has a bunch of debris right now so be careful, this past weekend, i had a 1" sheet metal screw go through my tire, all the way to the rim... and RRB had a glass puncture... luckily it was a nice day so it was a pleasure patching the tires in the warm sun...
    the heavier armadillos become "livelier" if you run lower pressures (say between 85 and 100 psi)...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i think i'm gong to take my chances with the stock tires and then order some of the conti's from nashbar. that's bad what you guys got onthe road. guess all the stuff washes on the road from winter.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I like Eddie Money a lot. funny, my ex girlfriend, her boyfriend before me, he was their drummer.

why that song for the state idaho song or are they just kidding?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    BLAM!

I've got two tickets to paradise,
    Won't you pack your bags, we'll leave tonight,
    I've got two tickets to paradise,
    I've got two tickets to paradise.

oh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh
    oh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh

mtbr member
    May 2004
    She was shakin oh oh oh ohhhh, snappin her fingers oh oh ohhhhh

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I need a hole to get sick in.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah whatever, this is off topic anyway, but yeah I like EM, always have - don't really know why you make these off the wall posts anyway but they ARE sometimes funny!
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 03-16-2007 at 08:15 AM.

think pink
    I've got the Armadillos on my commuter too and love them. I've been through a couple of pairs now over the years and have had minimal flats. George's is for sure the best place to get them.

mtbr member

armadillo's

I had armadillo's on my road bike at the start. They were great for not getting flats, but they were quite heavy. They now have armidillo elites that are about 240gms per tire. The down side of the armi's is that they are quite tough to get on. I now use them for my trainer. They have lasted all season so far.

Now I use specialized mondo pros they are very good about keeping air in. I think so far one flat all last summer.
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member
    I would suggest the in-between. The Specialized All Conditions Pro is a perfect compromise. I have about 1800ish miles on mine, 1 flat *knock on wood*. They are not as heavy, don't have the ugly brown sidewalls, and actually roll pretty sweet. They never once let me down coming DOWN bogus basin road last season.

Members who have read this thread: 0