Anyone Rock Island'ing this Wed. or Thurs.?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Anyone Rock Island'ing this Wed. or Thurs.?

Jeez....I may finally be able to ride there for the very first time this year .

My plan would be to ride beginning at 5:30pm on either day and go up some of the Castle Rock trails before heading over to RI.

Now I'm no MTNgirl or jackstraw so it'll be quite some time before I'm over there, but I'll eventually get there even if I have to push my bike there.

Anyone else gonna be up there those days?

Nick

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Nick, I might join you on Thursday. I'll let you know as the day gets closer.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I might join you too, Nick. Since Wed-Thurs supposed to be nice and cool......
    I can be in the parking lot by 5 or if I ride, can meet at the start of RI by 5:30 or 6ish.
    What time were you thinking?

going up the mtn tonight to ride Stack area....................

Aug 2004
    Daryl -- ya' know I can't keep up with you!!!

I'm going to try to start my ride at 5:30pm on Thursday at the Bishop's House parking lot. Yeah the weather looks pretty damn pleasant for the next couple of days....highs in the mid/upper 70s....can't beat that!

I was thinking of cruising up the Castle Rock trails first before heading over to Rock Island. So I will probably be at Rock Island by 6pm or later (yes I'm that SLOW).

I'm gonna bring my camera too since I need a pic for the REI Wall of Shame.

mtbr member
    I work till about 7 but I would be down with meeting you up there when I get off. I have definitely not been riding enough lately!
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Nick - Count me as a maybe for Thursday evening. (However, I want to buy at least some elbow pads/armor before then...)

Edit - Perhaps I should look at my calendar before posting. I have plans Thursday night. You guys and gals have fun!
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-29-2006 at 03:37 PM.

dirt enthusiast
    maybe as well for thurs. was planning on doing a night ride and this might be able to get incoorporated. would more than likely be around 7ish instead of so early though.
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

You don't need no stinkin' pads....just more shots of 2 kill ya!!!!

let freedom ring!

I will be there

I was there tonight......loved it. I need to learn to do wheelie drops and jumps. I think i cleaned most of the obstacles that didn't involve drops and jumps. I put a heavier spring in my shock and "WOW" what a difference tons more control. I was using a spring for a 160lb guy and being a Clydesdale that was kind of squishy. I was riding with Impdude tonight. " he's not a man he's a machine" Yah, he made me puke. Old dude pick on us youngsters like that. The nerve I will let you know what time I will be at rock island. If there is anyone going that night that can show me how to do drops and jumps let me know.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Jan 2005
    I may be able to make it

So 6 pm?

Meeting where?

What pace will you be climbing up at? Because I'm a lazy-ass freerider...

Trevor

Aug 2004
    Well I'm beginning my ride at around 5:30pm on Thursday starting from the dirt parking lot behind the Bishop's House. It appears as though others want to join in on the fun as well. Obviously the ultimate goal is to dick around Rock Island, so I say get your ass up there whenever you can and however you can...if you wanna ride with a slowpoke like myself and take the long way up via the Castle Rock trails by all means do so. If you wanna ride a more direct route up the main Table Rock trail or head up the Tram Trail via Warm Springs Golf Course by all means do so. Just get your ass up there!!!!

Sweet...I'm FINALLY gonna ride Rock Island after all these months of everyone else having fun up there!!!

Rocks Rock

Hardtail?

I'll probably ride the squishy up there in the morning. I plan to tear it (the Yeti) a part and give it some TLC, also send the Fox Talas to PUSH. So I'll try to ride the hardtail up and meet yawl in the evening. Getlost made as many or more of the obsticles on Rock Island as I did last night.
    Am I being kind?

let freedom ring!
    hey "lazy-azz free-rider...

I will try to be in the Golf course parking lot at 6. Your going to have to teach me how to do drops and jumps....I will be easy to find look for someone dressed like the michelin man (lots of protection).
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

just a man
    Nice job Dave and Warren!

Warren: Did you slap those Tiogas on yet?

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I'm gonna bring my camera too since I need a pic for the REI Wall of Shame.

Hey do you work at REI?

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherHucker
    Hey do you work at REI?
    Yup...sometimes too much.

let freedom ring!

Tiogas

Craig,

I did put the tiogas on. I love the front one especially with the heavier spring i put on my RLC. I had way more control and was able to roll off the rocks with more speed and confidence. I am not so sure about the rear tire. I think because my rim is so narrow that the rear of my bike was rolling on the tire, either that or I didn't have enough air in it. Someone will have to look at it for me and tell me if its alright to run that tire and rim together. I am too new at this to know better.
    Last edited by Get Lost; 08-30-2006 at 12:52 PM.

just a man
    That tire should work fine for that rim, what pressure were you running? I don't understand what the problem is...I like my tires pretty firm for technical riding so it doesn't roll off the rim.

let freedom ring!

tires rolling

When I was coming down the mountain and cornering it felt like the rim was floating and the tire was trying to roll under. I just dont think i had enough air in the tires. But you will have to check it out tomorrow at Rock Island

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Where is the Bishops house - is that by the old penn or.....I can meet you there. Warren yo riding tonight too?
    Nels?

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Where is the Bishops house - is that by the old penn or.....I can meet you there.
    Yup right next to the Old Pen. It's where alot of weddings and crap are held. I forgot the name of the road that comes off of Warm Springs, but it's the one that runs by the Dept. of Ag. Just take that and you'll take a left before you hit the Botanical Gardens, Old Pen, Women's Prison thingy and then it just takes you to a big dirt parking lot in the back. It's damn near impossible not to find.

let freedom ring!
    Darryl,
    I will be there about 630 at the golf course parking lot

King of the Barneys
    Well I'm beginning my ride at around 5:30pm on Thursday starting from the dirt parking lot behind the Bishop's House. It appears as though others want to join in on the fun as well. Obviously the ultimate goal is to dick around Rock Island, so I say get your ass up there whenever you can and however you can...if you wanna ride with a slowpoke like myself and take the long way up via the Castle Rock trails by all means do so. If you wanna ride a more direct route up the main Table Rock trail or head up the Tram Trail via Warm Springs Golf Course by all means do so. Just get your ass up there!!!!

Sweet...I'm FINALLY gonna ride Rock Island after all these months of everyone else having fun up there!!!
    Now you're talking smack like a tough banger who'd wear a pink helmet!

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

aaarrrggghh!

I'll be there

Hey Nick, I'll do the same ride you plan on doing. I'll see you at the parking lot you speak of. Hopefully others will show up as well.

Aug 2004
    What a fun night tonight of riding and socializing up at Rock Island. Props to Ian and Mark (TFloyd's buddy) for putting up with a slowpoke myself on the ride up. I got a good shot of Ian doing a drop in on small cliff that I'll probably upload this weekend from the office...dude made it look easy!

Finally made it over to Rock Island and me and Mark just followed Ian....errr well he hit all the hard stuff while Mark and I took the easy routes around. Again...Ian made it all look easy. I've also got a good pic of him on a feature...you just have to see it...I don't know how to describe it. Pretty damn cool though!

Also saw the following....

Rich (jackstraw1), Mariah (MTNgirl), and her son Eli. Oh yeah and their dog Jake (I kept wanting to call him Lilly ).
    Twisted
    Warren (Get Lost)....good to put a name to a face dude....long time no see!! Hope to ride with you more up there! Dude....you look like you've been riding for more than four months!!!!
    John (a member of my bike group). Remeber to check out Reed's and Custom Cycles and they'll make your bike work properly.

I think that's about it.

Again...another fun night of riding. I didn't hit a number of the features. Chickenshit I guess, but the next time I'm up there (hopefully next week), I'll have my platforms on and will be able to muster up the courage to do more stuff. I know that my bike could handle it...it's just a matter of the me committing to hitting the features. Looking at the lines and watching guys like Warren, Ian, and Rich hit 'em....it's just about doing it. Don't ***** out...just roll baby roll!!!!

Thanks guys for another fun night!!!!

Nick

Rocks Rock

Damn missed the fun!

I was there earlier 4pm to 6:20. Saw a dude waiting for Warren in the golf course parking lot. I had to be home by 6:30. I made more stuff on Rock Islands today than I have ever put together in one ride... and no one there to watch.
    I am really sorry I missed ya'll. my loss.
    I think I am going to sell my Yeti 575 (large) and buy a Dirt Bag. Hint hint.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't know that the DB is an apples to apples replacement for the Yeti - I meant for all mountain and lots of climbing

just a man
    It sounded to me like Dave was saying "I've got an apple right now but may want to get a cantaloupe instead."

Sorry I missed you. I was riding up there and the BB in the Bullit seized. Yet another part I have to replace....

Members who have read this thread: 0