Anyone race DH in MT?- Mtbr.com
    In FTF We Trust

Anyone race DH in MT?

I'm looking for anyone who's raced the DH series in Montana. I live in Anaconda and just bought a DH race bike and I'm trying to figure out where the races are in the state. I know there's one in Big Sky, one at Big Mountain, and one in Red Lodge, and I suspect there might be one in Missoula. I checked out mtcycling.org and there isn't any '05 info up yet. I race a number of the XC races on my 29er too and hope to do double duty at some if the races, if possible, this summer. Any info would be appreciated.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    EL-CID ... the racing calender is officially in the works this coming weekend over in Helena, so i'm sure the 2005 calender will be posted at the http://montanacycling.org/ site soon. I don't personally race Dh, but like to ride that direction as much as possible. If you ever head on over HWY 38 to Hamilton stop on by for a visit, and a ride.

later, Chad
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

Salad Days

Lone Peaks Revenge

I raced double duty at Big Sky last year. The Big sky race was lots of fun (and scary as hell), the course was really steep and rough with several mandatory airs, pretty much redefined my definition of a ridable descent. I wasn't on a big bike though. Lots of people turned out to race it too, 7-8 pros even. Those guys were amazing to watch. The XC race turnout was pretty small, but still fun. On top of that, the entry fees were small and the prizes, schwag, food and beer were excellent. Big Sky would be a great place to take your bike for some lift-accessed days too.

The pics are from Big Sky. The second is one of the flatter parts of the DH.

There is a summer race series in missoula called Jedzilla (I think), I haven't raced in it. It goes down Dead Mans Ridge, a fun 9 mile descent down a motor-cycle trail. It is a very fun descent (Or so it seems to me after the 11 miles of fire-road it takes to get to the top) Gonzostrike and others even have some jumps and obstacles on it. He could tell you more about it.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good riding in Anaconda?

El-Cid,
    I know you guys got good skiing in Anaconda, what about riding, The Flints go good riding?
    Thanks
    James

In FTF We Trust

Good replies, guys

Thanks for the replies so far. I especially appreciate the pics. from the Big Sky race. The last time I went to Big Sky with my freeride bike, the trams were shut down due to wind and we had to climb (ride) to the top before we could ride down, so that greatly dampened my enthusiasm. The skiing at Discovery Basin is killer, with more expanded extreme (black and double black diamond) terrain added last year, and still under $30! The Flint Creek/Pintlar Mountains area is greatly unexplored, but holds tons of potential. There is a lot of good riding in the Anaconda area (in the Georgetown Lake/Discovery Basin area in particular) as well as a great variety of terrain in the Butte area. The Spire Rock area between Butte and Whitehall (on the way to Bozeman) is killer riding; almost like desert complete with exposed granite slabs, sand, and cactus! It's nearly rideable year-round, too. If anyone is ever in the area, e-mail me and we can ride, or just drop in Sven's Bicycles of Anaconda and chat with the owner, Pete "Sven" Kurtz.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

banned
    in Missoula, Jed Dennison of The Trail Head puts together at least 2 races a year, XC and DH, called the "Jedzilla" as John noted above. those are the only organized DH races in Missoula in the 6 years I've lived here.

I know two guys here in Missoula, both from WY, who race DH in the NORBA series. they travel quite a bit. of course, Schweitzer/Sandpoint is reasonably close, but the rest of the series? road miles...

I like FR/DH, but there isn't enough of it to take it up as a "racing" activity for me. we have plenty of fun riding Dead Man's Ridge at Blue Mtn, though... and we've built some natural feature "stunts" there, but the USFS is reviewing the "stunts" right now and may end up removing them.

In FTF We Trust

Gonzostrike!

Gonzostrike, thanks for your reply. I've been meaning to try to catch you to ask about your frame building business-how's it going? Another thread I've been meaning to start is about where in MT there are "constructed" stunts. I know there was some killer stuff at Spencer Mt. in Whitefish, but I hear it's been uncerimoniously removed. Hopefully the FS isn't "reviewing" your stuff with chainsaws. I'd like to get an opportunity to ride some ladder bridges, teeter totters, log rides, etc. without the road trip to Whistler...

Salad Days

Dmr

Heres a couple photos I took this summer while on a camera binge up on dead mans ridge. Cool stuff Gonzo, I hope you guys get to keep it up. Last I heard (11/04) there was new stuff and Spencer since the last tear down. Definately the scene to be at if you want to freee-ride in montana. Rode there a year ago and there was some crazy ****, 10 foot high ladder bridges and big drops and gaps too. I imagine thats what they tore down. There are some fully legal stunts at Big mountain now, I rode a bit of it this summer. There are some good bike shops in town that could set you straight on the spencer lake stunts.

Dead mans ridge, the payoff for 11 miles of boring-ass road climbing. I didn't take too many pictures on the way down, for reasons that should be obvious.

1. The lookout on the top
    2. The first is a log ride to jump than another log ride, kind of hard to see.
    3. One of the coolest bermed corners in montana.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    in Missoula, Jed Dennison of The Trail Head puts together at least 2 races a year, XC and DH, called the "Jedzilla" as John noted above. those are the only organized DH races in Missoula in the 6 years I've lived here.

I know two guys here in Missoula, both from WY, who race DH in the NORBA series. they travel quite a bit. of course, Schweitzer/Sandpoint is reasonably close, but the rest of the series? road miles...

I like FR/DH, but there isn't enough of it to take it up as a "racing" activity for me. we have plenty of fun riding Dead Man's Ridge at Blue Mtn, though... and we've built some natural feature "stunts" there, but the USFS is reviewing the "stunts" right now and may end up removing them.

Look for races at Silver Mtn next year. They are developing lots of trails... XC and DH. the WIM series is most likely going to do races there, and rumor has it that Schweitzer treated the NORBA racer like crap and that may be moved too.

formica

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    Look for races at Silver Mtn next year. They are developing lots of trails... XC and DH. the WIM series is most likely going to do races there, and rumor has it that Schweitzer treated the NORBA racer like crap and that may be moved too.

formica
    man that's good news! I rode at Silver 4 summers ago, their terrain was awesome but the trails were boring and dull compared to what the terrain offered as potential.

also, there are some indications that Marshall Mtn in E. Missoula may open its doors to MTB use, including trail/stunt construction, in Spring 2005. depends on a few contingencies that are open right now but outside the hands of Missoula's mtn bikers.

Don't worry, be happy!
    man that's good news! I rode at Silver 4 summers ago, their terrain was awesome but the trails were boring and dull compared to what the terrain offered as potential.

LOL, I know what you mean.. lift served service road riding does not make for a great mountain biking experience.

Word is that they are very serious about developing their mountain biking. (unlike Schweitzer, who relies on burnt out locals to build/maintain the trails, and who has said "we don't want THOSE kind of people here, in reference to mountain bikers.)
    An IMBA trail designer was up there for 3 weeks flagging out trails this summer. For a while there, they were offerring gondola passes to anyone who wanted to go put in some sweat equity. I spent the last day they were open riding the new single track, it was really, really fun. Who ever's doing the trails has an excellent eye for flow, great corners, etc. We got to ride some really fresh trails that were still getting worn in. So keep your eyes and ears open for more from Silver.

They are renting Kona Stinkys, and here's a little bit of info on their plans:
    http://www.silvermt.com/mountain_biking.html

~formica

banned
    That's really good news. Joey Klein is the only IMBA-affiliated trail builder I'd trust. he knows how to make trails fun. the other TCC maroons are stooges, basically building wide bridle paths that are "accessible to all riders." Joey understands technical challenge. He helped us build a nice 0.7 mi connector trail here in Missoula, and I learned a lot of trail building secrets and tips from him. he understands the skilled rider's desire for narrow technical singletrack.

Don't worry, be happy!
    That's really good news. Joey Klein is the only IMBA-affiliated trail builder I'd trust. he knows how to make trails fun. the other TCC maroons are stooges, basically building wide bridle paths that are "accessible to all riders." Joey understands technical challenge. He helped us build a nice 0.7 mi connector trail here in Missoula, and I learned a lot of trail building secrets and tips from him. he understands the skilled rider's desire for narrow technical singletrack.
    he sure knows how to make nice turns!! the IMBA school is coming to Mt Spokane State park this spring/summer, I don't know who that means exactly tho.

here's a nice switchback on one of the new trails:

Wandervans

you will have to check out tamarack

this summer they have been adding a lot of trails and are going all out with freeride and dirt jumping. Each summer is something new up there, an absolutly huge dirt jump park too!

Plus they will have a new lift served dh course this summer built by joey.

Chris
    Boise, ID
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com