Anyone in Missoula?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Anyone in Missoula?

I just moved to Missoula and I don't know anyone around here, nor do I know any of the trails near here. I'm looking for someone to show me around or someone to hang out with. And I definitely need someone to show me the bars... I'm living downtown so if anyone's near that could help me out that would be awesome! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    a good place to start would be Patty Canyon or the Rattlesnake... Patty is pretty short but you can do a lot of loops, and the Rattlesnake has plenty to offer... also there are some reviews ... http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...S_4560crx.aspx

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm new to Missoula as well... looking to cover quite a bit of ground this next season. The Rattlesnake is awesome, you just have to get in a ways past the "disneyland" of the main TH. Sawmill/Curry Gulch is a great area, as is Pattee Canyon. Most of the trails in these areas are complex networks, so every ride can be different.

Some epic climbs here as well, Sentinel/University Beacon, Miller Peak, Blue Mountain.

Check out http://www.williammartin.com/node/2128 for some good info, browse around... read Bill's blog... And if you are really fit and adventurous, there is a Thursday Night Ride group here as well... I haven't been out with them yet, but it is on my list. http://thursdaynightmtbr.org/

They are mostly hiking or snow biking right now... I've been too busy building a new bike and trying to do enough (road) riding to stay in shape. I think it will be an epic riding year!
    For me, riding bikes is not a hobby, it is a way of life.
    http://natureofmtness.blogspot.com

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Lots of snow on the ground right now, obviously, so the trails aren't apt to open up until april.

Blue Mountain tends to dry out at least a few weeks before everything else, so it's good for an early season dirt fix.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Or you could be like and ride anyway.

There is a small core group of riders here in Missoula who apparently do not allow winter to stop them. I admire this attitude. While I may look into doing more ski-packing or snowshoeing next winter, it certainly is possible to get some good riding in while there is snow on the trails. Just look for well settled snow conditions and cold temps, and the surface won't be too much more difficult to ride than it is in the summer.

I have noticed that most of the riders here in Missoula don't tend to be very visible online. And info on trails and ride reports can be scarce compared to other areas. Maybe everyone is too busy riding.

100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    I have noticed that most of the riders here in Missoula don't tend to be very visible online. And info on trails and ride reports can be scarce compared to other areas. Maybe everyone is too busy riding.
    Don't know where you moved here from but Missoula is not a "modern" or "in your face" sort of town -- though that changes every year with more yuppies and other kinds of tools moving here.

People who have lived here a long time don't make a "scene" or "party" in the trailhead parking lots. They don't brag on the internet about Climbing the M or walking the dog on Waterworks Hill.

They keep secrets, because they know what happens when you brag too much about something:

it gets too popular, and it gets ruined.

If you want to get to know the trails here, be humble. Befriend someone who actually rides, not someone who talks about MTBs on the internet. Befriend someone who knows and respects the trails -- not someone who builds his own trail features wherever he likes, or rides in new lines around that pesky rock he couldn't ride over.

Respect the people who have lived here for a long time, who have built many of the area's trails, who do the trail maintenance when Andy Kulla's crew at the USFS is too "busy" (lazy) to do it. Respect the trails. Respect other trail users.

Don't make a Hollywood scene. If you wanted a Hollywood scene, you should have moved to Boulder/Front Range.

That's a pretty basic guide to getting along on Missoula's trails. Be humble. Don't be a d!ck. Don't be a yuppie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    With all due respect, I just like to ride my bike. I do like to take pictures and share my experiences, as there are many people of like mind who share their experiences which I enjoy vicariously. I don't entertain the notion that this particular activity requires any kind of "scene." Nor do I believe that it benefits from lengthy self-righteous diatribes exhorting the curious to "be humble." Silliness.

I used to live in CO in the high country and rode down on the Front Range a bit. Nice folks. Everyone out having a good time. And lots of people taking pictures for their blogs and sharing trail beta to improve the collective experience. Same way in Northern AZ to some extent.

I guess I didn't know you had to apprentice to someone and learn the secret handshake to ride in Missoula. That said, it sounds like the official rules regarding respecting the land, the trails, and the other trail users, and not being a d!ck, are pretty much in line with my own thinking and that of other mountain bikers in many other places. Good to know.

Happy riding!

rth009
    May 2010
    Sunset, as Im sure you now realized, the Missoulians are the coolest people in the entire world ........ in their own self-righteous minds. There are alot genuine people in Missoula too. Dont let Mr.CoolGuy get you down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Last edited by Schmitty; 04-29-2011 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Missoula is great

I was a road biker for years in Bozeman but when I moved here the trails were just too good to not be more of a MTN kid. I could ride the rattle snake every day and never get tired of it, just good clean trails. Yeah, their are some people around here that will tell you exactly how much they have it ALL figured out. I've never seen a problem with people building features where they don't belong. Make sure you check out Sheep Mtn if you are looking for a long ride. It gets to be fairly tough and can be a bit of hike a bike, but is a classic! I'd wait until the fall though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Schmitty for the warm welcome, and Ptperson: The Rattlesnake corridor / Sheep Mtn. loop is definitely on my list. Looks to only be around 30 miles round trip, so not too long. i'm almost thinking of doing that ride, and mixing it up en route with some hikes up to some pretty places (rattlesnake lakes?) and putting the trip at 1.5 days or so. Fortunately, I have plenty of practice hiking next to my bike, so that will in no way diminish the experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ahhh, hike-a-bike drives me nuts! I'm trying to remember which direction of the loop I liked better. I think I liked up the main corridor (their is a cut off from the main road to some steep switchbacks just after a bridge on the way up that you need to watch out for) and down the south (?) side had a more gratifying downhill and the lower section is SUPER fast and clean but watch for hikers/uphill traffic. It's tempting to just cut loose but probably not worth t-boning a black bear/hiker/etc. If you are packing camping gear it might move a little slower, but I did it as a day ride, started around 8, and finished early afternoon spending considerable time at the top to enjoy the views

Anyone in Missoula?-sheep-mtn.jpg

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    Don't know where you moved here from but Missoula is not a "modern" or "in your face" sort of town -- though that changes every year with more yuppies and other kinds of tools moving here.

People who have lived here a long time don't make a "scene" or "party" in the trailhead parking lots. They don't brag on the internet about Climbing the M or walking the dog on Waterworks Hill.

They keep secrets, because they know what happens when you brag too much about something:

it gets too popular, and it gets ruined.

If you want to get to know the trails here, be humble. Befriend someone who actually rides, not someone who talks about MTBs on the internet. Befriend someone who knows and respects the trails -- not someone who builds his own trail features wherever he likes, or rides in new lines around that pesky rock he couldn't ride over.

Respect the people who have lived here for a long time, who have built many of the area's trails, who do the trail maintenance when Andy Kulla's crew at the USFS is too "busy" (lazy) to do it. Respect the trails. Respect other trail users.

Don't make a Hollywood scene. If you wanted a Hollywood scene, you should have moved to Boulder/Front Range.

That's a pretty basic guide to getting along on Missoula's trails. Be humble. Don't be a d!ck. Don't be a yuppie.
    Says the guy from Maryland.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Snowbowl's still open, BC skiing will continue for another few months, mtb trails are opening up faster than PBR's and the Lochsa is running!!! I love MT!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sounds like somebody I ride with all summer! Pretty much summed it up nicely there bud. Mont****intana can't be beat.

Members who have read this thread: 0