Anybody been to Jug Mountain?- Mtbr.com
    Wuss extraordinare

Anybody been to Jug Mountain?

A few friends and I are heading to Boise at the end of July beginning of August. We were thinking of going up to Jug Mountain and renting some shuttle time, anybody up for joining in, or have any tips about the place?

All fat, all the time.
    Jug is fun, I've never done the shuttle up, only pedal up. Double shot is a great trail.
    Great food at the pro shop too.

Other trails in same area I like to hit, eagle's nest, and goose Creek.

Wuss extraordinare
    How much of a climb is it to get around there? We were thinking we would need to special hire the shuttle since we're not going to be there on a day they normally shuttle. Should we just ride it without the shuttle?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The climbing is moderate there, especially if you use the shuttle road called, Mainline. The shuttle just allows you to get in a lot of laps on the really nice"funduro" trails. Check out Double-Shot, Berm & Ernie & Stitches. As mentioned, lunch & beer on the patio afterwards is awesome too!

Wuss extraordinare
    So then do either of you want to join us?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by albino rhino View Post
    So then do either of you want to join us?
    Possibly, it would depend on your exact dates. I don't live in McCall but ride there often. Check out CIMBA's group rides as another option: CIMBA ? Home of the Central Idaho Mountain Bike Association

All fat, all the time.
    Wish I could but I live up north.... Just ride it when I'm passing through for work

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    There are two other bike resorts in McCall you might want to check out, Brundage and Tamarak. I've never been to either, but rode Jug and wasn't too impressed. They also have lifts opposed to a shuttle rig. Also, Bear Basin has some short fun trails with minimal climbing but no shuttle. If you're in Boise and want to shuttle, go to Pedal Idaho, LLC, they do group and private shuttle around Boise and up to McCall. I would really recommend getting a shuttle to Bogus Basin and doing Dry Creek

Wuss extraordinare
    We've already done Dry Creek. Is it possible to go down from Bogus and hit Dry Creek? Looks like it is on the maps but local experience would help. I've heard Tamarak and Brundage are more XC oriented, We're looking towards the endure end of things. I know, I know endure is so it right now, however it describes what we love to do, some climbing and tons of fast DH!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Brundage has some good, lift-served DH trails. Definitely not XC. If it's enduro you seek, do Jug & Brundage and possibly Bear Basin (upper & lower Drain trail).

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes, you can get to Dry Creek from Bogus via Around the Mountain trail and Mahalo, I would suggest getting someone local to ride with you so you don't take wrong turn on the road. If you want Fast DH, I would recommend 8th st Motorcycle trail which is fast and rowdy and connects to freestone ridge, another fast trail. But the trail is most likely quite loose this late in the summer. 3 Bears has a fun DH too and some good climbing to get to it, also, Hard Guy down is a blast if you want to do an out and back.

mtbr member
    Echoing a bit what others said, yes you can reach Dry Creek and Hardguy from Bogus.

Bogus Basin connects to Boise Ridge Road via the Around the Mountain trail. Boise Ridge Road will take you to the trailhead of Dry Creek, then Hardguy, then 5 Mile Gulch (going West->East).

5 Mile Gulch->Watchman->Three Bears is a fun, long enduro trail, I would recommend that as well. It takes you from the ridge almost all the way down into town, whereas Hardguy and Dry Creek aren't as long; they will end farther north on Bogus Basin Road.

This should help you - Interactive Map - City of Boise

(You can also reach Boise Ridge Road by driving/riding up Rocky Canyon Road, to the East.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Jug has some of the best trail within 200 miles of Boise. Double Shot and Berm and Ernie are both great. The pedal up is about 15-20 minutes and easy to get 5 or 6 laps in if pedaling only. You will be tired but have a blast, its about 600ft vert on each lap and the road up is quite gentle.

Brundage has basically 3 trails almost. Elk is their most popular and best ridden on a trail bike. Its fun for a run or two but not great. Their DH trail is Hidden Valley. It is, on a good year, a great true DH run but it is primitive and will beat you up even on 8 inches of travel. This year, however, it is terrible. The rains rutted it out with all sorts of loose rock all over it and has seemingly had zero maintenance, I would avoid. Their third trail is Zorro, a fall line steep rutted out in the woods that only goes about a third of the way down the mountain and then you can either take Growler which is slow and mostly uninspiring, or the access road back. I think Brundage is fun for one, maybe two visits a year on a good conditions year (this is not one of those).

Bear Basin is fun for a couple of runs. The drainage trails are enjoyable but I think Jug has a lot more of this type of trail to offer. Worth visiting but not worth a whole day. Goose Creek is right below Brundage and is a worthwhile shuttle.

Also, Eagles Nest is a pretty fun ride. I will often do Eagles Nest and then a couple laps on Jug or Bear Basin to get a good mix in and a solid day of riding. Eagles Nest is best hit after a rain though as it is a moto trail and can get pretty loose and blown out if its been dry for a while.